Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Meatbag Esq. posted:

This deck is great. The number of people who just concede instantly the first big thing hits the table is amazing. Even off muckmorphers.

Blizz should really discount old cards after a point. The deck looks super fun and I'm just missing one Muck and one Call but don't want to spend the dust with a new expansion just around the corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

sirtommygunn posted:

The Rokara book of heroes is slow but at least this time they remembered to make the player decks good enough to win. Being able to choose your hero power for most of it was also nice.

Every few months I go bang my head against the warrior book of heroes and fail again. That loving priest match.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

The change to the Rogue Connections hero power almost feels like an improvement in some weird way. Hand size is way easier to manage.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Jeza posted:

WARNING: Boring Arena stuff

Wow, nicely done.

Arena is still my favorite mode. I'd play it more if it had a Casual like Duels does. Back when I was 'serious' about it and tracked stats I was averaging 6.5 wins but the last few years I'm probably at 3-4 at best, it just seems more random and feelsbad than even Duels, weirdly enough.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Duels feelgood moment of the month was playing priest against double-battlecry bomb warrior, waiting til he dropped his Scrapmetal Demolitionist to put me at 20(!) bombs, then playing the Deck of Lunacy my Archmage Staff had given me on turn 2. Instant concede :awesome:

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Devo posted:

Blizzard I don't appreciate you calling me out like this

How to even estimate? I assumed they were tracking all this poo poo behind the scenes.

Conservatively guessing, half an hour a day, every day, for the past 7? years? 1,277. :barf: Probably at least twice that if I'm being honest.

On the plus side, I've spent exactly $1.99 :smug:

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Oenis posted:

I have not completed any after the first. I don't even care about the class pack, that's how much of a slog they are. But then again they are more often than not 4 useless commons and a rare anyways. But they are absolutely not their own reward.

Same. I finished every other PvE they've done, but the books were just miserable.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

skaboomizzy posted:

Mutanus is such a fantastic card when it hits big and eats a Tickatus or Alexstraza. I absolutely do the "wow" emote when that happens.

An opponent ate my Brightwing-generated Deathwing in Duels the other day and had the Discs of Legend treasure to boot. He caved my face in pretty quick.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

I play Duels like 95% of the time because ladder gets super samey, BGs isn't my thing, and Blizzard took a steaming gooey dump on my favorite mode, Arena.

The RNG can get wacky but I can still usually pull out 4-5 wins on a bad run. You learn what to play around just like any other mode.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Lampsacus posted:

Ah, thanks for explaining the priest hate. I play priest and really have a ball doing so, but in my defence, I play with an agressive proactive agenda. It... rarely works but it's fun to attempt. But yeah. I've noticed how easy it is to remove minions and because my priest play is all about board control, it's kinda making me want to switch to a hand class like mage. Mage actually looks quite fun - shooting down minions with spells like a coward.

Priest has the cards that are the most fun to play and the worst to have played against you. As mentioned above the games tend to be long because all the funnest cards cost a lot and the Priest toolkit is all about staying alive to play them. This is frustrating to ADD children obsessed with speedy laddering, normal people don't mind Priest much though.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

sirtommygunn posted:

Nah, make it ping a random enemy at the start of Shaman's turn.

Ooh, I like this. Also, make the heal totem heal face again.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Desert Bus posted:

LOL no I play a lot of aggro stuff and you would be amazed at how subtle some of the choices are. The RNG will gently caress you sometimes with almost every aggro deck, be it FaceHunter or Kingsbane, but aggro lives or dies on these tiny little decisions you just don't see.

Ehhhh. There's a reason I grab the aggro FOTM and slam it when I feel like hitting Legend in a particular month. Sure, I could 'optimize' and get a .5% WR bump with my 'subtle choices' but it's still easy, even in a post-bar haze. Priest + drinking is generally just a string of losses. That's my official metric for deck difficulty :v:

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Best would be for a streamer to agree to do a reveal then spend the whole time just making GBS threads on Blizzard instead.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Chernabog posted:

My favorite deck so far is quest battlecry shaman.

What's your list?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

I had doubles of the 'play Nozdormu' quest so I threw together a quick wild Dragon Priest. On my third game a miracle happened and I ran into someone else running Nozdormu! It was excellent, all games should have that fast of a timer.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

You guys act like you need to pay to enjoy Hearthstone. gently caress giving the greedy shits money. I'd rather the game die completely than pay them anything, especially after the HK and harassment fiascos (and the WC3 debacle, did that ever get sorted out?)

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Chernabog posted:

I really hope they fix BGs soon because I am about ready to quit hearthstone. Standard is boring as gently caress.

Come join us in the grimy underbelly of Hearthstone! Duels!

Seriously, it's 99% of my Hearthstone these days.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Priest has been mildly oppressive in Duels but they didn't touch the two cards that are the actual problem (SW:V and Embrace the Shadow), and instead poo poo on Voidtouched Attendant. I guess Blizzard doesn't play the mode either.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Anyone else's achievements get reset? Assuming it's a temporary glitch (I hope).

Edit: relogging fixed it

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Mr Beens posted:

What is the point of making us build a bunch of buildings for free that are just menu options that can't be upgraded.

To ease you into paying gold for later upgrades. Like candy cigarettes or whatever.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Obfuscation posted:

I got a free Mercanaries Lich King preorder pack code but I already bought it because I'm a terrible whale so the fastest goon can have it instead: B4K6-VWP9-J9HWH-5MFX-89VP

(You can redeem it at least in PC Battle.net client by clicking your name -> Redeem a Code)

I took this, greatly appreciated!

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

peer posted:

i really don't want to play five games of constructed in the weekend but it'd be the first monthly card back i've missed out on :smith:

I had the same dilemma until I realized I could faff around in low MMR Wild to get my wins. I threw this together to complete the Noz quest and am slaughtering through Bronze with an 87% winrate:

### nozpriest
# Class: Priest
# Format: Wild
#
# 2x (1) Cleric of Scales
# 2x (1) Draconic Studies
# 2x (2) Dragonmaw Sentinel
# 2x (2) Firetree Witchdoctor
# 2x (3) Breath of the Infinite
# 1x (3) Brightwing
# 2x (3) Twilight Acolyte
# 2x (4) Duskbreaker
# 2x (4) Scaleworm
# 2x (5) Azure Drake
# 2x (5) Drakonid Operative
# 2x (6) Aeon Reaver
# 2x (6) Dragonfire Potion
# 1x (7) Nozdormu the Eternal
# 1x (7) Skeletal Dragon
# 1x (8) Murozond the Infinite
# 1x (9) Alexstrasza the Life-Binder
# 1x (9) Ysera the Dreamer
#
AAEBAafDAwaOsQPYwgOwigS0igS2igSooAQMuQa6uwLqvwLL5gL86gKJ8QLoiQPyrAOYtgOZtgO4ugPezAMA

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Just completed my first Sword of a Thousand Truths ever...and as a warrior. Duels is the best, too bad the guy conceded instead of letting me thwack him with it.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Hunter works well for this Brawl, since there is no way for the AI to aim it somewhere dumb.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Shockeh posted:

Conversely, I feel exactly the same about Pirate Warrior, because at no point do I think the Pirate Warrior is actually making any decisions beyond 'Is a Pirate in my hand, and can I afford it?'.

Same. It's even poisoned Duels.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Trying to make Zoo Priest work, with 0 success as usual. Has anyone seen someone else trying it out?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Beasteh posted:

I had a complete dogshit mage arena deck at 2-2, started streaming with a bunch of goons heckling me and went 12 wins

what in the hell

What's your Twitch

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Rather than these occasional sweeping nerf blasts I wish they'd just be proactively tweaking cards constantly like Runeterra does.

That said, I hope Pirate Warrior and Owl Warlock get totally gutted

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

NorgLyle posted:

Every time they put out a questline like the Winter Veil thing I find myself realizing that Duels exists and then wondering who is Duels for.

Pretty much all I play these days, the only part of Hearthstone that I still really love. Too bad it's the unloved bastard child that gets dev attention for only the most serious bugs and balance issues.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Beasteh posted:

I have found it, the mythical 'good hero power mage deck'

rustrot and mass poly makes paladin a joke, the one thing i might do is add a one-of devolving since I often wish I had that card in most games

11 game winstreak and counting (at legend)

### Hero Power
# Class: Mage
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (1) Shivering Sorceress
# 2x (1) Wand Thief
# 2x (1) Wildfire
# 2x (2) Amplified Snowflurry
# 2x (2) Arcanologist
# 2x (2) Wandmaker
# 2x (3) Ice Barrier
# 1x (3) Mankrik
# 1x (3) Rustrot Viper
# 2x (4) Deepwater Evoker
# 1x (4) Fire Sale
# 2x (4) Multicaster
# 2x (4) Reckless Apprentice
# 1x (4) Varden Dawngrasp
# 1x (7) Magister Dawngrasp
# 2x (7) Mask of C'Thun
# 1x (7) Mass Polymorph
# 1x (8) Mordresh Fire Eye
# 1x (9) Rune of the Archmage
#
AAECAf3VAwjY7AOd7gPn8AOn9wPQ+QOgigSYjQT7ogQLpNED/tED+90D0+wD1uwDk4EEqIEEn5IEoZIE6J8ExqAEAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

I stomped from D10 to one win away from D5 at a 90% WR with this...then ran into a wall of loving druids and have buttslid all the way down to D8 again. Fun deck!

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Interesting Brawl interaction: if Khadgar is on the board when Santa drops more presents, he summons an extra of each, for both players.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Oenis posted:

My absolutely least favourite moments though are the ones where I'm about to stabilize or even able to win next turn, and then quest warrior gets exactly gorehowl and/or smite to steal the win. Hate that poo poo with a passion and has happened to me far more than it should.

Smite was a mistake on multiple levels, god I hate that card.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

orangelex44 posted:

That answers the how, not the why. There's no reason why Warlock can just have insane draw, control, tempo and finishers always but Priest for some reason can only choose one. This is the first year in... ever?... that a zoolock hasn't emerged, but instead Warlock gets to have like six combo/control decks. Mage was bad for a single expansion and it immediately got an insane combo quest finisher. Warrior is on it's millionth version of the same moronic "aggro with a 30-damage combo finisher somehow" deck. Druid can have bullshit nongame aggro along with infinite mana combo horseshit. loving Hunter has a control/value deck. Priest had one half-decent aggro deck and it's the goddamn end of Hearthstone that requires an immediate nerf, and as further punishment it can't even fall back on having a playable control deck because it's so scary to print a "win the game" card (as opposed to a "win the game, but I'm a mage or warlock!" card).

Just go back and read the Patch 20.8.2.86605 notes when they nerfed Renew and Apotheosis, it's loving laughable. "Priest heals too much, it feels like you need to remove all their minions, and we want the cards you put in your deck to matter so we're murdering Apotheosis and Renew." Meanwhile the entire second half of this year has seen Warlock healing for 30+ every game on their way to an unstoppable fatigue combo, Paladin has been consistently tier 1-2 with a buffing deck that demands instant removal or silences to everything they play, and Warrior's only real deck is "search for Pirate, add every class card, and profit". It's infuriating to enjoy the tools of the class, play well, and lose anyway because everyone else just has better poo poo. Priest can play just fine for about six turns, then you've run out of either gas or answers and you just loving die in every loving matchup. Or the opponent is playing any one of the million combo decks that you can't disrupt except for playing a 7 mana card that doesn't protect you and also probably misses anyway, or a 5 mana card that also doesn't protect you and also probably misses anyway.

In short, for as great as this meta is supposed to be it's yet another time that Priest had to die for it, for no apparent reason. I'm done venting now I think.

loving amen to all of that. And yet you still see droolers whining constantly about Priest everywhere. Give me back PW:S :argh:

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Yeah. In retrospect, the Duels hype died so fast because it got optimized so much faster than people expected. Something to de-optimize it would be nice.

To be fair, a lot of the problems with Duels are because it was left to die on the vine. A few minor balance changes (ban Mr Smite and Embrace the Shadows, buffs for the bad treasures) and it would be amazing.

I'd love something similar to the old Magic drafts where everyone cracks a pack, picks a card, and passes the rest to the right. There was a lot of skill involved in reading the packs, balancing your curve and colors, etc. but no idea how that could get translated to Hearthstone.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

The whole mode is just ridiculously boring and grindy, not sure what they were thinking besides 'cash grab' but it seems to have failed even at that.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

RatHat posted:

New mechanic for BGs: Buddies. Basically every hero has a unique minion they get after completing certain objectives during a match, and the buddies synergize with their hero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYEZicRAk4Q

Wanna shave that pubey face thing so bad it hurts

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

PneumonicBook posted:

Lol of course they'd take it back.

Funny how they'd take such an easy opportunity for goodwill at 0 expense to them and just do the pants on head routine instead.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Illuminti posted:

Made the mistake of making a Magnetic Mines Rattlegore deck in Duels.....when every other match is Diablo running The Demon Seed you basically auto lose.

Diablo goes away tomorrow! Magnetic Mines really struggles regardless - it's rare to see them past the first 3 or 4 games.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Can someone explain the Mo'arg / Arcane Overflow interaction to me? He took 16 damage, but only a 3/3 Remnant popped out. I assume the extra 8 damage is caused by the Mo'arg and the spell doesn't register it, or the sequence of timing doesn't work in my favor or..?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Chernabog posted:

I gave up on achievements after being unable to complete the sword of a thousand truths because everyone would concede before I got to win.

I've let a few people kill me with it assuming they were doing the achievement. However I generally insta-concede if they decide it would be fun to BM after equipping it :v: