Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I think wild Elemental Shaman will be fun. They already have a whole year of cards dedicated to it from like 2016 or whenever and now they have that hex machine to really ruin people's day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

GTO posted:

Can you buy packs with gold at a pre launch fireside, or is this just for pre-orders?
Pre-order packs only. New expansion packs are only available to buy with gold on the official release date.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I think the worst part of it is losing the completely random first day or two that used to happen on release, where everyone was trying out weird new homebrews (along with the predictable grumps running face hunter).

Now the new cards have generally been fitted into fairly well optimized decks already and half the people are already playing them.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Amoeba102 posted:

I've been playing Yogg DH for the last 2 days, and haven't gotten the rod of roasting once. It's been a lot of games, and yogg is really letting me down. Blur rotates and this deck dies.
It took me about 2 days of casually queuing up Blur Yogg DH on the side to finally get Roasting Rod. Must have been 25+ games. Sometimes RNG just hates you.

When I did finally get it Yogg blasted me in the face no less than 8 times before killing my opponent, which just goes to show what a bastard he is.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I have 20 classic packs unopened. I feel like at this point it's a battle of wills - I'll keep them for years until they offer an incremental improvement to average dust value over what they offer now.

Or if I just need some extra dust.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Amoeba102 posted:

Yeah, I managed to get it on my first try when playing ranked at the start of the month. But have just been trying to get the last hurrah for the deck before rotation. I see it only has a 5% chance, I thought it was higher. I knew it was less common, but not that low comparatively. I though maybe 10% v 18% not 5% v 19%.
You are a sucker for punishment. Playing that deck actually killed any desire I had to go achievement hunting afterwards and I definitely won't be going for any "last hurrahs" for bloody Yogg.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

NorgLyle posted:

I don't get the Mankirk stuff. I assume it's a reference to something from WoW but I must never have run across the zone where he is featured.
https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/16-years-later-world-of-warcraft-players-finally-found-mankriks-wifein-hell/

Which means we'll undoubtedly see the undead version of Mankriks wife in a future card set release (maybe even the mini-set for Forge of the Barrens).

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Do we still get a free ticket for having an Arena (or Duels?) run active when the expansion hits. It hasn't been mentioned.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Hold on to quests from Sunday so you have the max in the bank for the start of the next track.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Amoeba102 posted:

Wouldn't be equivalent though? It's exp now for the 1500/50 g bonus levels, or it's just getting through the rewards track slightly faster to get to the same 1500/50g at the end anyway?
For me it's because I plan to get the tavern pass this time round but didn't the first time so I'm aiming for those sweet 10% gainz. In general though yes, just so you complete the first 100 levels faster for the better rewards quicker.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
You get extra copies of Captains Parrot and Old Murk Eye if you have already triggered that achievement. I bet they fix that soon so disenchant the extra copies now imo

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
There's a new achievement for being killed by Annoy-o-tron that grants 1 exp, seemingly designed to trigger people's OCD.

I love it!

You can get your exp back to a nice round number by completing the reverse achievement for 9 exp points :ssh:

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Been playing some Classic, it's actually quite a nice change of pace. Classic token Druid with ye olde 14 damage finisher has been my poison of choice.

Speaking of Classic some of the achievements are great. Particularly YOU FACE A 0-MANA SPELL and Ragnaros the Snipelord (if you can guess the achievement requirements from the name that means you're cool).

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

NorgLyle posted:

Playing around with Classic and I'm surprised to see so many people who have forgotten how the Classic era worked.
I reckon plenty of people are trying out the mode who weren't playing Hearthstone back in 2014.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
In my experience so far its mainly people misunderstanding the meta. The big miss is going for face damage instead of efficient minion trading which has made playing Druid very pleasant as it's been a lot easier getting people in range of fourteen damage than it should be.

Plenty of misplaying Handlocks and Freeze Mages in particular, people either forgot how to play those decks or have netdecked for a meta they don't understand.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Edit; double post

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

So a friend of mine and regular player complains about the game's odd behaviour:

1. Yesterday, after the patch, there were lots of golden cards shown as a reward when clicking on Journal>Achivements. Stuff like "Great Victory win 500 games in ranked, arena or duel " popping up several times with several golden cards above it. These cards do not show up anywhere in the Collection though. We tried the various filters and nothing.

2. The little icon that indicates you can turn new cards you already had into dust is showing you should use that function, but upon clicking it the area where you can stays empty. I assume you can make dust only in certain modes, but clicking around didn't help.

3. There was a pack of the new expansion promised and shown after the patch that did not show up in "open packs", as they usually do, with the note "open only when X is released." Now it just isn't there.

Now she is livid and wants those golden cards!!! I assume it will all sort itself out in a few days but promised to ask around which I did. I started Hearthstone myself and noticed the same issues (and took pictures as proof) so it's not just her. This is an EU account. Perhaps you could shed some light on this situation? Are these known bugs? Anyway thanks for reading.
Those are core cards. They will become available when the core set releases on the 30th of March. It is also worth noting that they are non-dustable so no tens of thousands of dust, unfortunately.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Olpainless posted:

I've just seen something potentially HORRIFYING.

Blademaster Samuro in Big Priest.

Hope you like having your board wrecked forever
Blademaster Samuro in Big Priest was actually featured by Blizzard in their final card reveal stream, so they are well aware of it and actively support it. Enjoy!

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Nybble posted:

Enemy Secrets triggering the bow charges, they really have thought of everything!
Is this real? Used to be my favourite interaction. I've only been playing Druid in Classic so hadn't encountered that.

Also Classic is a griiiinnnddd without bonus stars. Reminds me of the real thing back in the day. I don't imagine that many people will ever make it to Diamond/Legend in Classic just because of how many games you need to play the first time through.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Nybble posted:

yeah, Face Hunter v Face Hunter was quite a surprise to see how we were both gaining charges.

Also I would have thought stars would have carried over from the other modes. Maybe it will at the April reset?
Stars don't carryover between Wild and Standard so I wouldn't assume that, unless Blizzard make a special case for Classic.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

doingitwrong posted:

I am excited to figure out how to make the watchtowers viable because I liked man land decks in MTG and this is the closest we get in Hearthstone (aside from that one Druid card).
I really wish they had made the Peon card have watch tower symmetry. Defender of Argus is in the Core set though which should help.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Jolly Jumbuck posted:

I just checked and couldn't find anything conclusive, but does anyone know for sure if we should be hoarding quests for more XP or emptying them in case they give us special pack quests?
There's now a 4th quest slot which is reserved for special quests so you don't need to worry about that.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Parked my account 29 exp over a 50g unlock, 4/5 on ladder games won and progress on 4 other quests with an open spot for another daily. Should be able to pop up to lvl27 or so within a couple of games of the new track opening up.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
T-Minus 5 minutes to release. Might be worth opening up the client now if you want to be on for the launch.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Ah dammit, I thought Blizzard said they had a system where you could stay on and the client would auto-update. Queue was only 7 minutes when I got booted, down to 2 now. So doesn't seem too bad.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Opened 127 packs, did not get Samuro or Mankrik. Looks like you don't have to claim them to get the exp boost from the tavern track so I'll hold off claiming for now! There's a few more packs to earn!

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

sirtommygunn posted:

I can't queue up for standard matches, but I can get in any other queue. Did they forget to switch the "Forged cards are allowed" from off to on in the update?
I have the same issue. I'm betting lots of people are queuing standard decks into wild right now so shouldn't be too bad...

Edit: scratch that all the queues are affected now

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
1750exp weekly quests always seem to swap into the 2500exp win 5 ranked games quest if you don't already have it, if you want a little extra exp.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

bloom posted:

You can now re-roll the win 5 ranked games weekly and they added arena to the other modes quest. :toot:
You'll always get a 1750exp quest in return though.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
It's so you can tower rush and destroy people like its 2003 WC3 all over again. Vibes.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I built up a board of 5 towers in a game earlier. They can get really snowbally fast if you start the game banging down a couple of the cost increasers and the opponent doesn't have an answer in hand. It can reach a point where you are countering everything passively and have loads of stats on the board.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I can't believe Hearthstone is finishing this year, why didn't anyone tell me earlier?!

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

RatHat posted:

So they clearly didn't test Reckless Apprentice with every hero power because some of them are just completely broken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_BQNKtUnk8
I think it's fun that if you manage to get a Reckless Apprentice off-class and get a more powerful hero power (or as Mage get an interesting off-class hero power) you can do some funky poo poo. That kind of random stuff is the fun kind as it's a one off moment rather than something you could ever plan for in a serious way.

This also relies on having an opponent conveniently build a board and not killing you as well.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
The building archetype does seem the strongest at this time, making Kargal a pretty safe looking craft (especially as a neutral card). However if you want to be really safe you can never be 100% sure on day 2 of a new expansion.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Penflinger could get the Dreadsteed nerf and only get returned to hand at the end of the turn.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
The stronger starting decks contain a decent amount of draw/cycle/resource generation I find. You definitely don't want to be stuck top decking vanilla value in a mode that rewards insane combo-ing and straight up ridiculously op cards.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Anyone else having fun with Weapons DH? The Sigil of Silence and Illidari Inquisitor combined with all of DHs weapon stuff make for a pretty effective burn deck. I particularly enjoy burning out Lunacy Mages.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Elysium posted:

I have a new nemesis in Duels. It's that Locusts card. 28 unblockable damage to face? Who thought that was a good idea.
It's the best card in duels, hands down. Always take it if it gets offered. If Locusts is drawn it can only realistically be beaten if you can force your opponent to use it defensively to clear something that would otherwise lethal them first.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I've had a good time against Warlocks as Warrior. From hand you can dump 16 damage to face on 9 mana with Playmaker+ETC+Bumper Car tokens (and even more with windfury murloc and/or Athletic Studies shenanigans). If you keep that combo in mind you are definitely the favourite in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Deck thinning as a concept is not high on the agenda for aggro decks that aim to win in 4-5 turns since every deck has to be exactly 30 cards anyway. If there is some kind of Pirate Mecha'thun deck in the future then it's possible Patches could get in on that regard.