Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Shockeh posted:

Poison Rogue has now carried me from Plat 10 to Diamond 7, in straight consecutive wins, including sealing 12 in a row off my Achievements. Deck is good, and super rewards never playing anything that doesn’t benefit you enough.

One Hunter was even running double Acidic (wtf) and still couldn’t hold me off. I don’t think there’s a single slot I’d change at this point, everything has a purpose.

### Poison
# Class: Rogue
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (0) Preparation
# 2x (1) Deadly Poison
# 2x (1) Paralytic Poison
# 2x (1) Prize Plunderer
# 2x (1) Secret Passage
# 2x (1) Sinister Strike
# 2x (2) Silverleaf Poison
# 2x (2) Swindle
# 2x (2) Wandmaker
# 2x (2) Wicked Stab (Rank 1)
# 2x (3) Cloak of Shadows
# 1x (3) Coerce
# 2x (3) Self-Sharpening Sword
# 2x (3) Swinetusk Shank
# 1x (4) Apothecary Helbrim
# 2x (5) Cutting Class
#
AAECAZurBAKK0AOv6wMOqssD/tED1dQD99QD4t0D590D890DqesDqusDrOsDresDkp8ElJ8E958EAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

You're pretty much hosed if they play an Ogremancer aren't you? I don't normally play Rogue, but I like this deck....however, at this point if I see an Ogremancer come out I just concede.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

idiotsavant posted:

Arena vs duels: what’s an easier/better chance of return on my free tavern tickets? Way back during League of Explorers I was halfway decent at Arena (I think an honest 5.5 average, sometimes better streaks) but I don’t have the faintest idea now. Just do whichever seems more fun and.call anything over the free pack a bonus?

If you go duels and get Rattlegore. Just play this deck

AAEBAQcP/weNDoKtAsO2AuLMA4rQA5PQA7XeA7beA4DkA5LkA6yfBIegBIigBIugBAAA

With Scrapmetal demolitionist and Magnetic Mines. Near impossible not to get 3 wins. After that it becomes a lot more reliant on you being offered armour based cards so you can keep up with deck size increase.

Chernabog posted:

I really like Xyrella's last portrait but they got rid of the "such skill" emote so I'll probably have to stick with the first one.

Same.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Shockeh posted:

Poison Rogue has now carried me from Plat 10 to Diamond 7, in straight consecutive wins, including sealing 12 in a row off my Achievements. Deck is good, and super rewards never playing anything that doesn’t benefit you enough.

One Hunter was even running double Acidic (wtf) and still couldn’t hold me off. I don’t think there’s a single slot I’d change at this point, everything has a purpose.

### Poison
# Class: Rogue
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (0) Preparation
# 2x (1) Deadly Poison
# 2x (1) Paralytic Poison
# 2x (1) Prize Plunderer
# 2x (1) Secret Passage
# 2x (1) Sinister Strike
# 2x (2) Silverleaf Poison
# 2x (2) Swindle
# 2x (2) Wandmaker
# 2x (2) Wicked Stab (Rank 1)
# 2x (3) Cloak of Shadows
# 1x (3) Coerce
# 2x (3) Self-Sharpening Sword
# 2x (3) Swinetusk Shank
# 1x (4) Apothecary Helbrim
# 2x (5) Cutting Class
#
AAECAZurBAKK0AOv6wMOqssD/tED1dQD99QD4t0D590D890DqesDqusDrOsDresDkp8ElJ8E958EAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Either you're playing different decks to me because I'm only in gold rank or I'm doing something wrong(it's this one), because this deck is useless for me. Ogremancer comes out and you don't have a 7 plus attack weapon....dead. Any taunt minion, probably dead. Two taunt minions? Concede. More than two minions on their board. dead. Don't pull a weapon till turn 5? dead.

I'm feeling every win i have is totally reliant on me starting with a weapon in my hand and them not having a taunt minion. They manage to build up even a half arsed board and I might as well concede

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Finally found a deck I don't mind playing that is actually good. Played 34 games with Token Druid and currently have a 80% win rate. Took me from Gold 10 to Plat 6 with 27 wins and 7 losses.

I think some decks just suit my mind/play better. I really struggled getting a handle on that poison rogue deck, I was basically treading water, same with a priest deck I copied from someone in this thread. This Druid one just clicked.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I don't think I've ever so mad at Hearthstone before. I'm like 0-12 right now. I'm stick in goddamn BRONZE 6. Jesus.....

Last King posted:

at the lower ranks, i'd say just go for a straightforward aggro oriented deck. just focus on going face! let others make the trades for you.

i have noticed a lot more control focused decks and it's a real slog to just get through some games since everyone's basically roping every turn tonight it seems.

Absolutely, I had the same problem. Then I just grabbed a hunter deck and it basically took me into gold straight away before I even had a loss. I used this one

### Face Hunter
# Class: Hunter
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (1) Adorable Infestation
# 2x (1) Arcane Shot
# 2x (1) Demon Companion
# 2x (1) Intrepid Initiate
# 2x (1) Tracking
# 2x (1) Wolpertinger
# 2x (1) Wound Prey
# 2x (2) Headhunter's Hatchet
# 2x (2) Imprisoned Felmaw
# 2x (2) Quick Shot
# 2x (2) Scavenger's Ingenuity
# 2x (2) Wriggling Horror
# 2x (4) Knife Vendor
# 2x (4) Piercing Shot
# 2x (5) Trampling Rhino
#
AAECAR8AD6K5A/+6A9zMA6LOA4LQA7nSA7ThA4biA8rjA9zqA9vtA6mfBKqfBLugBL+gBAA=
#
# Generated by HDT - https://hsreplay.net

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Personally finding Stormwind is poison.

Turn six, quest complete. dead. No interaction was had by anyone. What fun.

If you're not playing a Questline deck any opponent with one vaguely on curve is going to beat you 4/5 times. If you are playing questline decks. it's just whoever gets theirs first, what's happening on the board is basically irrelevant unless it's to bounce spells for your quest off.

Edit: I've played three OTK Rogue decks in about 6 games. Turn 6, off they go drawing the whole deck, the real skill is doing it before roping out. As an opponent you might as well be watching a recording, your presence is unnecessary

Illuminti fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 9, 2021

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Just logged in for a quick game, got matched up against a quest warlock.

He had 6 minions on the board and had completed his quest by turn 4. Lucky he had one slot left on the board left to play Blightborn Tamsin on turn 5. All in all a great game, it was really fun for me.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

I rage quit every quest warlock

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Ughhhh, I'm getting so mad and titled playing this game now. Any deck I'm trying, I lose horribly with. Quest Warlock, Handbuff Paladin, Quest Hunter, Shadow Priest.... nothing is working for me. :( Worst of all, I'm losing to the decks I'm trying to use!! I don't understand if I just suck horrible at this game or what, but it is infuriating. I'm stuck at Gold 5, and I don't even know if I can complete the "Win 5 games" weekly quest at this rate....

Same, I managed to get to plat 10 using deathrattle demon hunter very early on but I can barely string two wins together since day two of the expansion.

My sole aim in ranked play now is to get The Sword of a Thousand Truths into play. I've achieved it a few times with a Boar Hunter deck, but it's pretty thankless.

I can't believe some people actually seem ok with this expansion. Like, is it fun watching people cycle through Mage and warlock decks and then killing you?

edit: having said that I see that quest zoo warlock is actual sitting at a 49% win rate, so maybe I should stop trying to make boars win!

Illuminti fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 11, 2021

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Illuminti posted:

Same, I managed to get to plat 10 using deathrattle demon hunter very early on but I can barely string two wins together since day two of the expansion.

My sole aim in ranked play now is to get The Sword of a Thousand Truths into play. I've achieved it a few times with a Boar Hunter deck, but it's pretty thankless.

I can't believe some people actually seem ok with this expansion. Like, is it fun watching people cycle through Mage and warlock decks and then killing you?

edit: having said that I see that quest zoo warlock is actual sitting at a 49% win rate, so maybe I should stop trying to make boars win!

Just went 6-0 against 3 quest warlocks, 2 rouges, and a mage with deathrattle DH.

I still yearn for those elwynn boars though

edit: yeah this deck mullers quest warlock

### Deathrattle Demon Hunt
# Class: Demonhunter
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (1) Illidari Studies
# 2x (1) Tuskpiercer
# 2x (2) Cult Neophyte
# 2x (2) Far Watch Post
# 2x (2) Razorboar
# 2x (3) Death's Head Cultist
# 2x (3) Devouring Ectoplasm
# 1x (3) Felrattler
# 2x (3) Felsteel Executioner
# 2x (3) Razorfen Beastmaster
# 1x (3) Rustrot Viper
# 2x (4) Persistent Peddler
# 1x (4) Raging Felscreamer
# 2x (4) Renowned Performer
# 2x (6) Skull of Gul'dan
# 1x (7) Death Speaker Blackthorn
# 2x (8) Illidari Inquisitor
#
AAECAea5AwS/7QOv7wPQ+QPUnwQN2cYDi9UDyd0D194D8+MD9+gDmOoDu+0DvO0D/e0DqO8Di/cDgIUEAA==
#
# Generated by HDT - https://hsreplay.net

Illuminti fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Aug 11, 2021

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

What about Mutanus? I've seen him start to pop up as a way to eat Questline rewards before they get played.

Can confirm, eating the questline character reward with Mutanus and sitting through the long pause as they take it in is a great feeling.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I don’t see how Mutanus could help since he costs 7 and the quest rewards are all 5. They SHOULD be 7.

Very very occasionally, your opponent won't have like literally every card they need to complete the questline on the exact curve. Like 1 time out of 10

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

AnacondaHL posted:

Well of course every questline deck feels like a combo deck, you lose a card in your opening hand and have to build your deck around the synergy otherwise it wouldn't be worth it, this is a combo, like no poo poo.

They are still control decks.

They're not control decks because you're not controlling anything. You're just playing the next card you draw until turn 6. Then whoever got the best card draw wins

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

L0cke17 posted:

Y'all are just fundamentally misunderstanding what a "control" deck is. Control decks are just that, designed to control the game and board until they can land a threat that goes over the top of whatever the opponent does and use that to kill them, typically with some sort of inevitability. Whether that comes in the form of just bigger threats, or recursive boards etc.

Quest mage is the single best control deck ever in the history of the game.

It plays 1 card to win the game with and the rest of the deck is interaction with the opponents board, then eventually the face, and it has inevitability via ignites to win the long game if you end up in a topdeck vs topdeck situation.

This is the most fun to play in best standard metagame ever. For once it's more fun than wild. There's just so many fun powerful decks available to play across all classes.

One thing kibler got right in his video though is theres basically 0 interaction with the opponents hand possible at all and that sucks for everyone. Only demon hunter has any at all I think besides mutanus which is too slow.

Why don't you just play against a bot?

Tennis against a wall is amazing, the most fun ever. Shame there's literally no interaction with the wall though...

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Acerbatus posted:

time for a break from quests, time for duels since theyre banned in th-

its just arena?

They don't tend to do great in duels, first rounds not enough cards to complete in time and later on the card pool is to diluted. I play a lot of duels and don't come across quest decks that often.

Interestingly I'm around Plat 10 and there has been a big fall off in quest decks. I encounter Warlock quest a bit but now it's nearly all handbuff and hunter. So I think they are going to pull off a double whammy, release an expansion that has loads of decks, piss off half the player base and then because the expansion is so broken end up with a tiny amount of viable decks that will end up pissing off both those who already didn't like the expansion and the people who liked the questlines but now can't play them because the only viable decks are ones that kill quest decks by turn 6. Quite an achievement.

Illuminti fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 16, 2021

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Why is it they can't have a hard timer for rounds? I was just watching a Warlock go through the long and lengthy process of completing three questline rounds, clearing my 4 minions, playing tasmin and knocking me down to 10hp all on turn six (the flesh giant nerf has really knocked this interactivity problem on the head), but to really add insult to injury, the rope runs out and I have to sit there for 15 seconds waiting to start my turn.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Quest Warlock is the most joyless deck to play against. It has literally no redeeming features. Playing it is simply autopilot, playing against it is simply hoping you get the right cards in your opening hand to beat it by turn 6 or 7 or you might as well just autoconcede.

edit: That's not to say it's a good deck. I think it's sub 50% winrate. It's just a poo poo deck for the enjoyment of the game.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Having a lot more luck getting "The Sword of a Thousand Truths" out and in play in Duels. It does feel good.

Starter deck
https://twitter.com/CookieMawnster4/status/1426188290974228483

edit:
I am not CookieMawnster4

Illuminti fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 26, 2021

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Yestermoment posted:

Was quest a necessity/lifesaver in that deck? I melted down my quest a while back.

It pulled me back from single digit health at least twice in a 6 win run. You can finish the quest quite easily once you are cycling through boars and other deathrattle minions and it just sits there in your hand as a 5 mana full heal.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Kalko posted:

I haven't played Duels for a long time but I'm pretty sure Rally is still one of the more busted passives, and All Together Now has synergy with it. There was a site that collected lots of 12-win Duels decks in tweet format along with comments about how good the deck was, and a lot of the time they had lucked into the busted passives so it was like, well, yeah.

No reason it couldn't be a good and fun deck to play, I'm just saying you can do well with just about anything in Duels if you get good passives. And I think this discord is still the best place for Duels theorycrafting, if anyone is interested.

It very passive dependent, yeah. Like often you'll get offered three that have literally zero synergy with our deck or character. Then it's basically a bust

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

lol there’s an elwynn boar bucket in duels called “live to win”

I have spent every bit of gold i've earned in the last two months trying to make elwynn boars work in duels. One run I got offered a bucket with three boars and the power deathrattle minions get reborn. I cruised to eight wins. Then I just got rolled by rng three games in a row.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Just got my first 12 win on Duels (12-2). 290 gold and two packs

AAEBAa0GD+EEjQiCtQLL5gL86gLezAOVzQPXzgOe6wPU7QPn8APQ+QOwigSFnwSooAQAAA==

Copied from this guy
https://twitter.com/Steveee11/status/1440980329599221763

It's a dragon deck and I got Dragon Affinity and Meek mastery. Match 11 the guy conceded on turn 5. Match 12 against the same deck as mine I think! Killed him turn 7 with full health. Matches 3 to 7 were really touch and go.

Illuminti fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 30, 2021

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Just a warning in case anyone plays duels. The dragonblood treasure literally doesn't work anymore. It doesn't trigger. Bug seems to have been reported more than a few times.

Real amateur stuff from blizzard. I mean seriously. I really enjoyed my 0-3 run with a priest dragon deck

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Jedit posted:

Latency is a serious problem for EU players trying to play BGs on NA. I've seen it.

I moved to Australia from UK 5 years ago, had already been playing hearthstone for a few years by then so didn't want to give up all my progress. Apparently though it is beyond the wit of man to change hearthstone regions and keep your cards. So I've been playing in the Europe region from Australia for 5 years. Can't say I've noticed any major lag or latencies issues, but I don't know what normal would look like.

I have noticed I can fly up the ladder if i time my playing so that I'm online when everyone in Europe is up late, tired and drunk.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Made the mistake of making a Magnetic Mines Rattlegore deck in Duels.....when every other match is Diablo running The Demon Seed you basically auto lose.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Vandar's "promote" hero power in duels seems a little overpowered to me. Although I guess its quite early on to judge.

But "Give an minion +1/+1 and Rush, poisonous, taunt, windfury, divine shield, or stealth" for 1 gold....having just played a few you need to have a lot of board clear in hand if you even want a chance to stop that boulder

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Valiantman posted:

I rarely just complain because usually when I feel bad about playing it simply because I haven't found an enjoyable deck to lose with. I kinda have the feeling that the power creep is getting so big that it isn't fun anymore. I really honestly feel that duels is a less powerful mode than standard at the moment.

Way too many 1-2 turn kill decks for my liking. It is okay if those are clearly telegraphed and slow like the quest priest. Something like mech mage on the other hand can just conjure game-ending boards in one turn multiple times during the game. Decks like glowfly druid feel quaint in comparison.

I barely play standard anymore. Except to complete my quests. Whats the loving point? There's three decks, maybe four to play against. Once I've done my win five games of standard quest I pretty much know how every game for the next few months is going to play out and there's nothing I can do about it. They hit their cards I'm dead, I hit mine, they're dead.

Duels in vastly more enjoyable, varied and interesting. Its nearly all I play now. You can have games that last 30 mins of swings and counters etc

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Elysium posted:

Man, I thought I read somewhere that Deathrattle Hunter wouldn't be offered Mummy Magic anymore in Duels. That combo is so bullshit it's ridiculous. And he drops loving Korrak too.

I play a couple of times with an Elwynn Boar Drek Thar decks in Duels. It's ok, you can usually get it to 4/5 wins. If you get Mummy Magic though...12 wins is a piece of cake. You can usually get The sword of a thousands truth out about turn 5 or six.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

bravesword posted:

I started playing Hearthstone shortly after it came out of beta back in 2014. Even though I played it pretty consistently for seven years, in all that time, I never made Legend. I quit shortly after Stormwind came out because I was very turned off by the solitaire Questline meta, but the Standard rotation lured me back... and I made Legend my first month back. Go figure.

I did most of the climb pre-nerfs with Thijs's Fel Demon Hunter list. I liked that deck quite a lot, it's a ton of fun to play, but Aggro DH being so strong kind of turned the meta against it. So I climbed the last few ranks with this, which I pulled of HS Replay:

### Handbuff
# Class: Paladin
# Year of the Hydra
#
# 2x (1) Click-Clocker
# 2x (1) Prismatic Jewel Kit
# 2x (1) Righteous Protector
# 2x (2) Amalgam of the Deep
# 2x (2) Battle Vicar
# 2x (2) Noble Mount
# 2x (2) Seafloor Savior
# 2x (3) Alliance Bannerman
# 2x (3) Azsharan Mooncatcher
# 2x (3) Catacomb Guard
# 1x (3) Saidan the Scarlet
# 1x (4) Blademaster Okani
# 1x (4) Blademaster Samuro
# 1x (4) Cariel Roame
# 1x (5) Overlord Runthak
# 1x (5) Taelan Fordring
# 1x (6) Mr. Smite
# 1x (7) Lightforged Cariel
# 1x (7) The Leviathan
# 1x (8) Varian, King of Stormwind
#
AAECAcqLBQr76AOR7APZ+QO/gASoigSqigTgiwSwsgTHsgTquAQK8PYD8/YDjfgDqvgDyaAE0KwE4bUE3rkEssEE2tkEAA==
#

It's kind of hilarious how bad the popular decks right now are at dealing with Divine Shield guys. I'd queue into some Questline Hunter or Control Warrior or Naga Mage and by turn five they'd be looking at three Divine Shields helplessly while the rope burned down. I was also kind of stunned by the number of decks that just fold to Turn 3 Mooncatcher, Turn 4 Seafloor Savior dredging the Sunken Mooncatcher to the top, Turn 5 two 6- or 7-power Divine Shields. The Blademaster duo is absolutely core though; saved my skin over and over. I guess it's also worth noting that the only Holy spells in the deck are the ones discovered by Battle Vicar, so the minion Cariel is "just" a 4/3 rush Divine Shield in this deck, no need to hold her trying to get value out of her ability.

Catacomb Guard, Noble Mount, and Taelan feel like the weakest links, although I'm not sure what I'd replace them with. I initially thought the deck might want Acolyte of Pain, but in practice I rarely found myself running out of gas.

Thank you. I love this deck. Especially as it spanks Quest hunter which i find arguably more annoying that Quest warlock to play against

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

I'm having one of those periods again where I'm just getting annoyed at how god drat slow all the players I'm facing are. I know it's new decks etc but dear god. You have three cards and 2 mana!!!! what are you doing!!?! That's usually combined at the end of the game with watching them play 5 cards, generate ten more, refresh all their mana, clear the deck and them do the two damage needed to finish me off with a spell they had in hand the whole time. Just Kill ME! I'm not impressed!