Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

broken boy soldier
May 19, 2006
The meta has been wild, but I got some hope last night after a crazy win I managed to pull off against a secret paladin (low level play, but it was identical to the net deck) with a control warlock that is basically the standard fair with Envoy swapped for Tickatus because screw that card.

I’m entering the qualifiers on Sunday and don’t expect to do well, but was hoping to get some advice as to what to put fir my third deck (I’ve got the control warlock mentioned above and no minion mage for sure).

Right now I’m debating between the watchtower rogue deck and the aggro shaman deck for the third slot.

Here are the decks in question:

Rogue
### Watch Post Rogue
# Class: Rogue
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (0) Shadowstep
# 2x (1) Wand Thief
# 2x (1) Secret Passage
# 2x (1) Prize Plunderer
# 2x (1) Pen Flinger
# 2x (1) Guardian Augmerchant
# 2x (1) Brain Freeze
# 2x (2) Wicked Stab (Rank 1)
# 2x (2) Swindle
# 2x (2) Far Watch Post
# 2x (2) Efficient Octo-bot
# 2x (3) Mor'shan Watch Post
# 1x (3) Mankrik
# 2x (3) Field Contact
# 1x (4) Kazakus, Golem Shaper
# 1x (5) Jandice Barov
# 1x (7) Kargal Battlescar
#
AAECAaIHBNnRA/roA/zoA+fwAw3evgOqywOfzQPHzgOk0QPn3QPz3QP36AP56AOo6wOq6wOr6wP2nwQA
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
# Find this deck on https://hsreplay.net/decks/H6AmHdaWCClsYaTBiTnjmc/

Shaman
### Aggro Shaman
# Class: Shaman
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (0) Lightning Bloom
# 2x (1) Primordial Studies
# 2x (1) Novice Zapper
# 2x (1) Lightning Bolt
# 2x (2) Rockbiter Weapon
# 2x (2) Landslide
# 2x (2) Diligent Notetaker
# 2x (2) Cagematch Custodian
# 2x (3) Stormstrike
# 2x (3) Serpentshrine Portal
# 1x (3) Instructor Fireheart
# 2x (4) Torrent
# 2x (4) Dunk Tank
# 1x (4) Bru'kan
# 1x (5) Ras Frostwhisper
# 1x (5) Inara Stormcrash
# 2x (5) Doomhammer
#
AAECAaoIBJzOA9DOA67eA+LsAw3buAOTuQPhzAPNzgPw1AOn3gOo3gOq3gOJ5APq5wONnwT5nwT+nwQA
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
# Find this deck on https://hsreplay.net/decks/uhbitjddzjvWECjyt4aH3e/

So goons, what do I take to both maximize my chances and maximize the lols?? Thanks in advance for the help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

broken boy soldier
May 19, 2006

Acerbatus posted:

If you're not picking paladin (you should pick paladin) rogue is the safer bet because paladin chews up heavy aggro decks.

Should probably cut the guardian augmerchants for cult neophytes for all the mages though.

That’s super helpful, thank you. For some reason I can’t bring myself to play paladin, plus I have none of the cards. Rogue felt better when I was trying both out earlier today, will likely go with that!

broken boy soldier
May 19, 2006

Acerbatus posted:

Good luck! I signed up for the wrong region because I wasn't paying attention, lol.

Oh dang that’s a big bummer! It’s my first qualifier, so any general tips would also be appreciated.

Also, if anyone would like the see the control warlock v paladin match I was talking about, will happily post the replay later. I know Tick is probably important to the deck competitively, but I really dig having envoy and the primes instead. It feels like I always get at least one prime that helps me out toward the end of the game.

broken boy soldier
May 19, 2006

Acerbatus posted:

Honestly, I feel like Tick is a big gamble and kind of questionable. He doesn't directly impact the board and you MIGHT get something important, but there's at least as good odds you either won't be able to play him at all or that he'll just burn some Knights or something else that doesn't help you right away.

That’s what I was kind of thinking as well based on my experience playing against Tick.

“Cool you burned five of my cards but you didn’t do a thing about the 15+ damage board I was showing, thanks for the annoyance I guess?”

glad to know I wasn’t off base in my decision to craft the extra rogue cards I needed instead of it.

broken boy soldier
May 19, 2006
Will catch up on the thread in a minute, but wanted to say thanks for the advice, but I have to sum up my first tournament first and see if anyone can relate, this is from my perspective:

“Yeah duder, I know me not knowing everything about the tournament format is frustrating, that’s why I auto-conceded our match when we were at 1-1. you chose mind games because an inexperienced player took game one with a control lock deck”

Really fun though overall! Back to learning about my electronic card collection!

broken boy soldier
May 19, 2006

doingitwrong posted:

I have been playing this version of Priest and really enjoying it.
https://www.reddit.com/r/CompetitiveHS/comments/mnea1b/legend_with_control_priest_unique_variation/

You can out aggro Control Warlock. You can out tempo Paladin. Mage is still a struggle because sometimes Lunacy makes them non-games. You are much more proactive than most control decks have been but you are still controlling. Your top end is found in generated cards, so your early turns tend to go better.

Priest has been the scariest to go against in my mid level ladder climb as control lock right now, to echo what you’re saying. Haven’t played a priest deck yet, is there one similar to this that’s inexpensive? Will look more closely at this in a bit, if the answer is “it’s the one I posted”

EDIT: For me, this deck is the answer. Thanks!!!

broken boy soldier fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

broken boy soldier
May 19, 2006

sirtommygunn posted:

The watch posts were nerfed because they feel bad to play against, not because they were op.

It’s gotta be this! Sorry about all the posts today, I’ve just been playing Hearthstone for a professional project and this has been my safe space (check my post and user history, long time lurker in these parts) so I been reading the threads here really regularly for that. Finally four months into playing the game and feel like I can contribute a bit at least.

Playing against it is two reactions:
1.) I can handle whatever tower they play, why do people complain about this
2.) I can’t handle whatever tower they play, I get why people complain about this