Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

AndrewP posted:

Very much enjoyed the name of the year ep and the extremely stupid name they landed on

It's much better than last year, but I still wish they had stuck with Twenty-Rendezvous: A Night To Remember. I want to see the prom themed live shows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

more falafel please posted:

It's much better than last year, but I still wish they had stuck with Twenty-Rendezvous: A Night To Remember. I want to see the prom themed live shows

When Griffin came up with it initially as Twenty-Rendezvous: Good Evening I genuinely laughed out loud a d I'm still not quite sure why. Just really tickled me.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

So I'll be honest I haven't kept up with Adventure Zone since my commute got cut to 0 minutes but I noticed a spike in visitors on my bandcamp and saw they were coming from mcelory.family and holy poo poo my music is in the Adventure Zone

Griffin's taste is clearly impeccable

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lmao clint creating crawfish

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

So I'll be honest I haven't kept up with Adventure Zone since my commute got cut to 0 minutes but I noticed a spike in visitors on my bandcamp and saw they were coming from mcelory.family and holy poo poo my music is in the Adventure Zone

Did....they not tell you they were using your music?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

If your music is being used in a commercial product without your permission or knowledge, you should probably make some sort of claim against them.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Colonel Whitey posted:

Did....they not tell you they were using your music?

I released it all CCBY so I retain no legal claims to it and all use is legal as long as it's done with attribution, which they did.

It's a cool way to get music out to people in a world supersaturated with content, in my mind. And it means I get fun surprises like this when it pops up in things I think are cool.

Granted this is probably the coolest/highest profile thing to use it so far.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

hah yeah I assume if the mcelroys were stealing music they would not include a prominent link to the artist in the show notes

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Huh, I just assumed that there would at least be some courtesy correspondence with the artist in those cases.

e: I'm tragically behind on TAZ, would you mind linking to the piece they used?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

:yosnice:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Colonel Whitey posted:

Huh, I just assumed that there would at least be some courtesy correspondence with the artist in those cases.

e: I'm tragically behind on TAZ, would you mind linking to the piece they used?

"Rust Colony" in ep 9
https://rozkol.bandcamp.com/track/rust-colony

"So sorry little girl" in ep 19
https://rozkol.bandcamp.com/track/so-sorry-little-girl

"Palaver" in ep 22
https://rozkol.bandcamp.com/track/palaver
"Chewing Devil Grass" also in ep 22
https://rozkol.bandcamp.com/track/chewing-devil-grass

"The Apotheosis of all Deserts"in ep 23
https://rozkol.bandcamp.com/track/the-apotheosis-of-all-deserts

Those first and last tracks are two of my favorite things I've ever made, so if anything's out there representing my work I am glad those two are among them.
Also managed to make it on to the Everhood soundtrack last year and into an indie move called "M.O.M. Mothers of Monsters", which is a hell of a far cry cooler than what I ever imagined accomplishing when I started making this stuff years ago.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Hell yeah buddy, nice work! Is the track at the end of episode 22 one of yours? I don’t see it on your list there. I assumed it was one of Griffin’s, but frankly I assumed they were all Griffin’s because they fit the Ethersea setting so well.

My favorite is Palaver.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 13, 2022

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Very cool stuff, as someone who has been trying to finish the last book for over a year I appreciate the Dark Tower themed album.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ariong posted:

Hell yeah buddy, nice work! Is the track at the end of episode 22 one of yours? I don’t see it on your list there. I assumed it was one of Griffin’s, but frankly I assumed they were all Griffin’s because they fit the Ethersea setting so well.

My favorite is Palaver.
Thank you! Palaver is a cool one for sure - and entirely an accident. I was seeing if a drink coaster would work to play slide guitar and then I fed that through a bunch of jangly reverbs and in the end it came out like some weird stringed instrument. I would never be able to recreate it, I'm sure, but that's part of the fun of experimental music.

Colonel Whitey posted:

Very cool stuff, as someone who has been trying to finish the last book for over a year I appreciate the Dark Tower themed album.

I distinctly remember racing against the movie release to get my "head movie" version of Gunslinger crystalized in some form, afraid that after I saw the 2017 flick I'd never see it the same way again. Thankfully, I suppose, the movie turned out to be so entirely forgettable that my head-cast is still in there more or less untainted. Idris Elba was cool but that Mid-World was such a let down.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Grats goon, that’s pretty cool.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Ariong posted:

If your music is being used in a commercial product without your permission or knowledge, you should probably make some sort of claim against them.
you just keep that pitchfork sitting right there by the desk huh

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

What, am I wrong?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

this isn't strictly about the mcelroys but there isn't a general Terrible MaxFun Podcast Ads thread so i might as well post it here, i was listening to a recent episode of the Flophouse and heard an ad for Fanti, the podcast exploring the negative aspects of the things we like, and also the positive aspects of gentrification and I couldn't help but be taken aback

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Alaois posted:

this isn't strictly about the mcelroys but there isn't a general Terrible MaxFun Podcast Ads thread so i might as well post it here, i was listening to a recent episode of the Flophouse and heard an ad for Fanti, the podcast exploring the negative aspects of the things we like, and also the positive aspects of gentrification and I couldn't help but be taken aback

There's a reason I ride the skip button for podcast ads (except for MBMBAM and YKS, but them shilling Better Help sucks even if it is funny considering how bad the service is)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
the ads for Fanti and Minority Korner are literally unlistenable, just completely grating in a way that makes me reach for the skip button instantly

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I really enjoy Triple Click. Ads are pretty easy to skip though.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I wish McElroy shows just advertised other McElroy shows. I think the only other max fun thing I listened to was Bubble. And that series....existed.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I think the problem is that you usually listen to a podcast for the personalities involved, and the premise is mostly there to provide structure. However, you can’t get a good sense of whether you’re interested in hearing someone talk for an hour based on a 30-second ad, so they have to sell it based on the premise. This is particularly bad for podcasts like Fanti, which seems to be a show where people talk about things they like but have complicated opinions about. That premise has no inherent appeal, so the ad sucks.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

fanti ads are really bad but still buffering's are somehow worse, to me

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

was listening to the year-naming ep while cooking and decided to ride out the terrible maxfun ad instead of the hassle of washing hands/touching phone... then they played a rare second one. that was a kick in the dick lol

I've somehow been spared whatever fanti is though, I think this is the first I've heard of it. god that show sounds awful

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Alaois posted:

I’ve got a bigger issue with the recent spate of ads for BetterHelp, tbqh

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Entropic posted:

the ads for Fanti and Minority Korner are literally unlistenable, just completely grating in a way that makes me reach for the skip button instantly

is Dr Gameshow still a thing? I think that has Minority Korner beat for “quickest to get on my ‘must ignore’ list based on the ad read alone”.

I don’t know anybody decided that two hosts doing “somewhere between the most twee version of ASMR and single-appearance supporting characters on an episode of Adventure Time” was a good aesthetic for a podcast, much less how a company like MaxFun went “yep, we gotta get these guys on our network!” It’s a loving excruciating listen.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

i'm desensitized to the betterhelp ads at this point, they're omnipresent in every podcast regardless of network

i miss that awful sound, their only ads were for fake stuff like Beard Vape and Mutual of Roswell Insurance

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Never heard of Fanti, but it's sounds like a great show to listen to if you're in Debate Club or if there's any two given leftists about to put their differences aside and you gotta come up with one Debbie Downer of a derail.

Ok Comboomer posted:

What did they do?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Never heard of Fanti, but it's sounds like a great show to listen to if you're in Debate Club or if there's any two given leftists about to put their differences aside and you gotta come up with one Debbie Downer of a derail.

What did they do?

Betterhelp has bad therapists, problems with actually getting to someone reliabily, and online therapists generally aren't covered by insurance

Piell fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 15, 2022

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I think it's pretty safe to assume anybody in the "ubiquitous ads on podcasts/youtube" market is bad, or even an outright scam.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
This is why quality vendors like extreme restraints have fled.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

my podcast socks are overpriced as hell but they are comfortable and i just ask for them as gifts since i’m hard to shop for

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I get completely why they do it but I really wish the McElroys could break out of every church that appears in TAZ just being a rebadged baptist church

i like devo but his backstory seemingly just being "lapsed baptist" is boring as hell

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/1482071086930051076?s=20

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Sankis posted:

I get completely why they do it but I really wish the McElroys could break out of every church that appears in TAZ just being a rebadged baptist church

i like devo but his backstory seemingly just being "lapsed baptist" is boring as hell

Can’t be lapsed. We haven’t had one instance of him dancing or drinking.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Sankara posted:

I think it's pretty safe to assume anybody in the "ubiquitous ads on podcasts/youtube" market is bad, or even an outright scam.
My underpants are ok.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Ok Comboomer posted:

They also advertised the amazon ring so I’m sure there is no morality or ethics involved

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

https://twitter.com/NuganDash/status/1482176473972813825?t=XXQuWELCy4a1Qhvji9-v-A&s=19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKc7OV-r1UE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
The One Bad Mother ads are absolute audio poison. I thankfully haven't heard one for for a long time.