Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

dantheman650 posted:

That's patently untrue. When playing as a character in a role playing game, you absolutely have personal and group goals. If there's a monster, your goal is to kill it. If there's a villain, your goal is to prevent them from carrying out their plans. If there's a problem, your goal is to solve it.

I'm all onboard the "just have fun" train, but it helps to know a little about what they are working toward.

Again, I'm down with this, but it is in no way a "game" and it feels weird to call it one. But I'm just picking at nits - it doesn't really matter.

No that's a pretty narrow view of games. Not every game needs to be "kill the monster".

Think of it like Sim City. You build your little city and imagine what and why things are changing.

Then an earthquake-volcano-asteriod hits and you need to start over.

TQY is Sim City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

dantheman650 posted:

That's patently untrue. When playing as a character in a role playing game, you absolutely have personal and group goals. If there's a monster, your goal is to kill it. If there's a villain, your goal is to prevent them from carrying out their plans. If there's a problem, your goal is to solve it.

I'm all onboard the "just have fun" train, but it helps to know a little about what they are working toward.

Again, I'm down with this, but it is in no way a "game" and it feels weird to call it one. But I'm just picking at nits - it doesn't really matter.

:goonsay:

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

dantheman650 posted:

Yeah it's not really a game, just a set of rules and decks of prompts that someone put together to guide people along a process to create interesting histories and worlds that make some internal sense

ImPureAwesome fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 11, 2021

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

imho if i'm not running to the right and jumping on a goomba, it ain't a game

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Zero One posted:

No that's a pretty narrow view of games. Not every game needs to be "kill the monster".

Wow, way to completely ignore the next two sentences:

dantheman650 posted:

If there's a villain, your goal is to prevent them from carrying out their plans. If there's a problem, your goal is to solve it.

Zero One posted:

Think of it like Sim City. You build your little city and imagine what and why things are changing.

Then an earthquake-volcano-asteriod hits and you need to start over.

TQY is Sim City.

In Sim City, you have a goal. The goal is (usually) to create a city that can grow and create a safe and productive space for residents to live. If you don't like that goal, you can come up with your own goal. By playing it, you are almost certainly working toward something.

All I am saying is I don't quite understand what The Quiet Year is working toward.

ImPureAwesome posted:

Yeah it's not really a game, just a set of rules and a decks of prompts that someone put together to guide people along a process to create interesting histories and worlds that make some internal sense

Agreed, and I think it's just fine and enjoyable at doing this!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

dantheman650 posted:

All I am saying is I don't quite understand what The Quiet Year is working toward.
You answered your own question. Just replace Sim City with TQY.

dantheman650 posted:

In TQY, you have a goal. The goal is (usually) to create a city that can grow and create a safe and productive space for residents to live. If you don't like that goal, you can come up with your own goal. By playing it, you are almost certainly working toward something.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Alaois posted:

he's also the reason you can't edit posts on tumblr anymore

you can't just throw something like this out there, what's the story?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Is the work they put into worldbuilding then going to become the backdrop for their D&D campaign? I really like that approach

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

dantheman650 posted:

If there's a monster, your goal is to kill it.

or chat with it, bluff it, befriend it, ignore it, flee from it, any number of other things.

dantheman650 posted:

If there's a villain, your goal is to prevent them from carrying out their plans.

or join with them, or ignore the plans, etc.

dantheman650 posted:

If there's a problem, your goal is to solve it.

or exacerbate it, or ignore it, etc.

I think you're thinking of Dragon's Lair.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Man I missed game system arguments. Pathfinder when?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

change my name posted:

Is the work they put into worldbuilding then going to become the backdrop for their D&D campaign? I really like that approach

Yes.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I think the thought dantheman is trying to express is that most games have some sort of problem you are trying to solve or overarching thing you are trying to do and they weren't sure what TQY's one is. The answer is it's trying to build up a community that can survive the Bad Stuff that will happen after the year ends.

In this particular case it's building an underwater city to survive the land becoming uninhabitable. There aren't "stakes" in that it's taken as a given that the players will manage this since the setting for the next campaign is underwater city and not everyone in the world is dead. But the interest comes from how they will do it and what sort of backdrop it will form later on.

It's like watching an action movie, you know the good guy is going to survive and win but you still want to see how it happens!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

change my name posted:

yeah, it's a cool system and i think the show will be better with people other than griffin immediately feeling some attachment and ownership to the world

TQY is like doing a session zero but for worldbuilding instead of character making

scopes
Jun 5, 2004

dantheman650 posted:

If there's a problem, your goal is to solve it.

And if there's a beat the DJs goal is to revolve it

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

What would you call "A Quiet Year" if not a game?

scopes
Jun 5, 2004
TQY is absolutely a game. The "goal" is to have fun with your friends crafting a unique community that will inevitably end in tragedy. Games without clear, objective goals beyond that aren't an alien concept. It's not even that dissimilar from something like Fiasco.

Actually... trying to exclusively define what is or isn't a game feels useless as hell

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Sankara posted:

What would you call "A Quiet Year" if not a game?

I dunno, a prompt-based group narrative builder? I am not great at naming things.

Empty Sandwich posted:

or chat with it, bluff it, befriend it, ignore it, flee from it, any number of other things.

or join with them, or ignore the plans, etc.

or exacerbate it, or ignore it, etc.

I was just giving a few examples. The main point was you know which one you're trying to do and I don't for A Quiet Year.

Organza Quiz posted:

I think the thought dantheman is trying to express is that most games have some sort of problem you are trying to solve or overarching thing you are trying to do and they weren't sure what TQY's one is. The answer is it's trying to build up a community that can survive the Bad Stuff that will happen after the year ends.

In this particular case it's building an underwater city to survive the land becoming uninhabitable. There aren't "stakes" in that it's taken as a given that the players will manage this since the setting for the next campaign is underwater city and not everyone in the world is dead. But the interest comes from how they will do it and what sort of backdrop it will form later on.

It's like watching an action movie, you know the good guy is going to survive and win but you still want to see how it happens!

This helps though.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Organza Quiz posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the game because I just learned about it, but doesn't The Quiet Year end with the frost elves or whatever coming and killing the world you just built? In the original game, it just ends there, there's no post-game survival element as far as I know. It's a bit perplexing to me what makes a game like that fun on its own, but to each their own.

scopes
Jun 5, 2004
My reading has always been that in a vanilla game of TQY, the coming of the "Frost Shepherds" (however you want to define them or whatever y'all want to re-flavor the impending doom as) ends the game, but doesn't necessarily mean everyone dies in a world-ending apocalypse.

E: from Avery Alder, TQY creator:

quote:

The Frost Shepherds are left as an ominous unknown for a lot of reasons.

The first reason is that the game is supposed to be entirely focused on the process and progress of a single year, and defining the Frost Shepherds would shift the focus in a lot of ways: encouraging players to plan defenses, solve problems that don't exist yet, and so on. The second reason is that the Frost Shepherds are an empty form that is given particular meaning by the session played. It might just be an anthropomorphized way of saying "frost arrives and kills our crops" or it might be a way of saying "the aliens who's arrival has been fortold in prophecy finally descend from the heavens." It might mean something different entirely - the game invites players into foreshadowing and emergently discovering what the Frost Shepherds might be.

Finally, the Frost Shepherds arriving is an anti-climax, a way of saying, "and that is all that remains of their history." It's abrupt and harshly minimal on purpose, for aesthetic reasons.

scopes fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 11, 2021

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

dantheman650 posted:

I was just giving a few examples. The main point was you know which one you're trying to do and I don't for A Quiet Year.

I'd argue that the goal is to have fun, whatever that means, within an agreed-upon set of rules. in game terms, the goal is to make an RPG background. I think we might just be operating from slightly different definitions of game, though.

the writeup is neat:

https://buriedwithoutceremony.com/the-quiet-year

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

you can't just throw something like this out there, what's the story?

fishingboatproceeds was john green's tumblr and after someone edited one of his posts to be what you're seeing now, tumblr removed the ability to edit posts from the website entirely

e: also im glad this thread has finally reached 2011-era roleplaying game forum level "but what is a game?????"

The Quiet Year is also like, 100% A Game with goals and an end-state though

quote:

The Quiet Year is a map game. You define the struggles of a community living after the collapse of civilization, and attempt to build something good within their quiet year. Every decision and every action is set against a backdrop of dwindling time and rising concern.

The game is played using a deck of cards – each of the 52 cards corresponds to a week during the quiet year. Each card triggers certain events – bringing bad news, good omens, project delays and sudden changes in luck. At the end of the quiet year, the Frost Shepherds will come, ending the game.

Alaois fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 11, 2021

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Alaois posted:

fishingboatproceeds was john green's tumblr and after someone edited one of his posts to be what you're seeing now, tumblr removed the ability to edit posts from the website entirely

e: also im glad this thread has finally reached 2011-era roleplaying game forum level "but what is a game?????"

The Quiet Year is also like, 100% A Game with goals and an end-state though

To be clear, it wasn't that Tumblr allowed you to edit your own posts. You could just edit anything you were reblogging. They had to "fix" it by removing editing altogether

Tumblr was a special place

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Tumblr used to let you edit other people's posts?

Edit: ah gotcha, so you could repost something and change it.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Tears In A Vial posted:

Cock is one of my favourite tastes. Not only that, but balls smell amazing. It makes me go a little crazy on it to be honest. Like, I cannot get it far enough down my throat to be satisfied.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Same, but for calzones

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Gave it a listen and yeah this new TAZ format isnt for me. I'll keep listening but honestly when they can get to actually playing characters and roleplaying in a more traditional DnD format I'll be happy. I'm sure this model of building a land etc is really fulfilling when you're actually the players playing in that world but as a listen it personally isn't that interesting.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 11, 2021

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Tears In A Vial posted:

I love pineapple pizza and black licorice.

And in order to "fix it" they just removed the entire editing function.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Warbird posted:

Man I missed game system arguments. Pathfinder when?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I heard a football player named Colt died today. It was a different Colt from the one who made a cameo. But what would have happened if it was the same Colt as from this weeks question?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Can't get that dang bird song out of my head

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/travismcelroy/status/1392120240021069825

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

This man truly is the worst. “My wife won’t let me shave unless you give me some money.” Another hilarious tweet!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

https://twitter.com/travismcelroy/status/1392475366044966916

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Time for another Travis derail! Everyone get your shots in quick!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I'm laughing less at Travis and more at MaxFun for struggling to meet half their drive goal with, like, 3 days to go. I like the network a lot, but 28k new/upgrading members without being fully out of the pandemic or the associated recession is a wild goal, I think.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
I think they ended up not having the drive last year for obvious reasons. This one may have been an attempt to make up some numbers, but is obviously ill timed. May be bad news for some shows on the network. Hopefully they save Mission to Zyxx at all costs.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

I think they ended up not having the drive last year for obvious reasons. This one may have been an attempt to make up some numbers, but is obviously ill timed. May be bad news for some shows on the network. Hopefully they save Mission to Zyxx at all costs.

Mission to Zyxx is ending, according to the ads I get for it in every episode

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Woop, bad time to not be caught up. And bad times in general.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
They're ending the story, but they still want to work together, and their announcement at the beginning of the season didn't seem mention anything about not working with MaxFun. They have enough stuff planned for the season to get to next year, so they'll probably also use that time to think of what's next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

No, they still had it last year, they just emphasized how much they weren't having maximum fun drive at maximum fun dot org forward slash join because of how rough things were, but if you still want to support the network you can go to maximum fun dot org forward slash join, and then they had an Actual maxfundrive in like August, except they did it for a month