Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Every podcast ad (except the Beef and Dairy Network ones) are just absolute garbage, even for otherwise good podcasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Piell posted:

Every podcast ad (except the Beef and Dairy Network ones) are just absolute garbage, even for otherwise good podcasts.

Everything about B&DN is great and more people should listen to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtMHVLl2H3c

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Piell posted:

my favorite maxfun-ism is when they badly recut all their ads to make them more explicitly “woke”

“...this is a podcast about cool dogs and butts/AND INSTITUTIONAL MISOGYNY/so tune in to hear all the best dog and butt news...”

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Entropic posted:

Everything about B&DN is great and more people should listen to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtMHVLl2H3c

mike is a treasure

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I liked the MBMBAM ad that was like "at last, all the pieces are in place! 7 years of hiding subtle audio clues for the greatest treasure hunt of all time!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

External Organs posted:

I liked the MBMBAM ad that was like "at last, all the pieces are in place! 7 years of hiding subtle audio clues for the greatest treasure hunt of all time!

that was a good ad

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Mike and Ben from B&DN also have a podcast off-network with another comedian Henry Parker which is quite enojoyable:

Three Bean Salad

Now that I think about it, it's almost like a British MBMB&M in format. They're not brothers, but it's a 3-friends-riffing format with recurring segments (they activate the "Bean Machine" once per episode to generate a listener-selected topic, and there are jingles that must be played when certain topics invitably come up (crabs, America, flightless birds...))

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Entropic posted:

Mike and Ben from B&DN also have a podcast off-network with another comedian Henry Parker which is quite enojoyable:

Three Bean Salad

Now that I think about it, it's almost like a British MBMB&M in format. They're not brothers, but it's a 3-friends-riffing format with recurring segments (they activate the "Bean Machine" once per episode to generate a listener-selected topic, and there are jingles that must be played when certain topics invitably come up (crabs, America, flightless birds...))

subbing to this solely due to the strength of mike wozniak's taskmaster performance

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

This is why quality vendors like extreme restraints have fled.

You say that, but I tried them and got hosed in the rear end!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

You say that, but I tried them and got hosed in the rear end!

another success story.

I like the Baby Geniuses ads, but I love Lisa Hanawalt even though I haven't gotten into that podcast. the Tights and Fights ads are fun. I'm just getting into Beef and Dairy Network, but dude's voice and pacing are just charming as hell, so the ads are good. I skip all the others with malice aforethought

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Three Bean Salad is consistently funny and a very good listen

Back on topic, the Sawbones Omicron episode is extremely good

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I think someone mentioned it before but the worst is the loving Dr Gameshow with that one guy Monolo or something. His loving lovely Eeyore impression makes me physically ill.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I skip over all podcast ads except for the Money Zone because that's borderline episode content and not just an ad break.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

TAZ actually has the worst ads on the network imo. They pop up on Sawbones from time to time and they're just awful. I think the best one is the one where Travis says "I roll to charm new listeners, it's very effective!"

They get worse from there

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
One thing I've noticed is that British podcasts tend to have professionally made adverts for actual products whereas American podcasts just get the hosts to read some copy for snake oil or whatever. Why don't American companies produce their own adverts and tell the podcast producer to edit them into an ad break?

Does American radio have actual adverts? Because I think one difference is that British podcasts tend to be made by radio production companies and they just use the ads that the company would put on the radio.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

the best ads were heat rocks because i just want to hear that lady talk but i never want to listen to the podcast

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

a pipe smoking dog posted:

One thing I've noticed is that British podcasts tend to have professionally made adverts for actual products whereas American podcasts just get the hosts to read some copy for snake oil or whatever. Why don't American companies produce their own adverts and tell the podcast producer to edit them into an ad break?

Does American radio have actual adverts? Because I think one difference is that British podcasts tend to be made by radio production companies and they just use the ads that the company would put on the radio.

It's a major selling point for podcast advertising that the ad reads are done directly by the hosts that listeners have the parasocial relationship with. It's very easy to tune out or skip past a prepackaged mp3 of a total stranger that's just been spliced in.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

That's something that is (was?) big on am/fm radio too. Having the hosts of the show read some ad copy at the end of a segment or even going live to do it during an ad break.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I don't care if the McElroys have to pay them, they should do more Extreme Restraints ads.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

If we're talking about McElroys and ads I personally love how on The Besties Justin decides it's time for a 2 minute ad break 1 minute into the show.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
My partner watches Majority Report and Sam Seder’s ad reads are the most listless poo poo i’ve seen in my life. podcasts are just bad like that

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

I would bet it's regulated to some extent in Britain. In theory, the Federal Trade Commission would have some oversight of some kind, but :effort::homebrew:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/1482526264867102721

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

There are a bunch of American podcasts that do this too and it usually sucks because they tend to be dynamically inserted so you'll sometimes get their ad breaks in the middle of a conversation.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Srice posted:

There are a bunch of American podcasts that do this too and it usually sucks because they tend to be dynamically inserted so you'll sometimes get their ad breaks in the middle of a conversation.

And their audio quality/volume tends to be completely different from the podcast.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

A night to remember.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
There's at least one UK podcast I stopped listening to because the host clearly didn't give a gently caress where the Acast adverts went in as long as they did. Like, on at least one occasion I'm pretty sure it happened between a question and an answer - not in a cliffhanger way, just jammed into a live recording. I get people need to get paid but I just couldn't be bothered with it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Fil5000 posted:

There's at least one UK podcast I stopped listening to because the host clearly didn't give a gently caress where the Acast adverts went in as long as they did. Like, on at least one occasion I'm pretty sure it happened between a question and an answer - not in a cliffhanger way, just jammed into a live recording. I get people need to get paid but I just couldn't be bothered with it.

There's a show I listen to that didn't account for ad breaks in their early episodes. Because a lot of their edit involves just loving with each other, if you go back and listen to them now, you can tell who edited which episode by which person's sentence gets interrupted by an ad break that episode.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Has there ever been a podcast that was just a series of sketches/short ads? I know Earwolf tried an 8 minute long ad skit about a decade ago and that Beef and Dairy Network did the Slash Beef Carpet Ad episode. So "all sketch comedy ads" feels like something that might be tried.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

RandomPauI posted:

Has there ever been a podcast that was just a series of sketches/short ads? I know Earwolf tried an 8 minute long ad skit about a decade ago and that Beef and Dairy Network did the Slash Beef Carpet Ad episode. So "all sketch comedy ads" feels like something that might be tried.

I feel like a one-episode gag where the entire episode ends up being ads is about as far as you can go with that.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Entropic posted:

I feel like a one-episode gag where the entire episode ends up being ads is about as far as you can go with that.

The McElory's have done that:

https://maximumfun.org/episodes/my-brother-my-brother-and-me/mcelroy-family-fun-hour-brought-you-totinos/

This was the episode that introduced me to the podcast.Griffin attempting to eat one pizza roll every minute, followed by trying to upsell them while suffering because of it was so choice.

Re-listening to this made me really miss the beautiful well of potential that was Yahoo Answers.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 17, 2022

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

The mattress based ASMR episode is probably the best episode of the podcast

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The World Inferno posted:

The McElory's have done that:

https://maximumfun.org/episodes/my-brother-my-brother-and-me/mcelroy-family-fun-hour-brought-you-totinos/

This was the episode that introduced me to the podcast.Griffin attempting to eat one pizza roll every minute, followed by trying to upsell them while suffering because of it was so choice.

Re-listening to this made me really miss the beautiful well of potential that was Yahoo Answers.

Also the best episode of Monster Factory

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Mae posted:

The mattress based ASMR episode is probably the best episode of the podcast

"Oh you don't have any money? Well, I'm sure we can find some way to get even.
I'm... 🎶I'm going to get my butt out~🎶
Oh, you do have money after all."

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Just Chamber posted:

If we're talking about McElroys and ads I personally love how on The Besties Justin decides it's time for a 2 minute ad break 1 minute into the show.

It's very strange. Just get the ad over and done with I guess?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Nice job keeping the camera above the crowd so we can't count open faces lmao

Fuckit idk what to do anymore I'm all vaxxed but like I guess everyone else got too sick of caring too

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This isn’t an endorsement but yeah the majority of people have gone back to regular life these days

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I have a little baby at home that I am trying my damndest not to expose to COVID for as long as possible so I’m still acting like it’s April 2020 over here

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i hate to abort the angry mob while people are getting out their torches and pitchforks but that ain’t travis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

QuoProQuid posted:

i hate to abort the angry mob while people are getting out their torches and pitchforks but that ain’t travis

For a minute I was fooled but then I realized if this was Travis and he had that talent he'd be showcasing it on live shows, podcast and any appearance he could manage.

Also if everyone in that video was all vaxxed that to me is fine but I guess everyone has their own view as to what's acceptable during all this.