Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
It's kind of amazing that people assume the absolute worst of Travis when he's really at his worst a harmless idiot. It might have to do with people being used to weird male feminist nerds turning out to be creeps or the long grudges that people have on the McElroy Brothers over any matter. He just needs someone to keep him reined him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Just Chamber posted:

Isn't it this kind of weird posting that got the original thread shut down in the first place?

nah it's was probably because the OP of the thread couldn't take people saying their parasocial best friend was bad so they took their ball and went home

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Your obsession with this is weird and you're constantly riling people up for no reason.

The last thread became a poo poo-slinging fest, so lol at anyone calling the OP's reaction a "meltdown".

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

they did meltdown. no one calmly closes their own thread

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
it was definitely an appropriately travis-esque meltdown

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

mikeycp posted:

it was definitely an appropriately travis-esque meltdown

they haven’t started posting in this thread yet so not quite travisesque

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Gravy Boat 2k
Frankly the Travis chat wasn't even as bad as the two page siderail into McElroy politics

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Face Cat is the only proper choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms60c8jiQY4

Still not a fan of the new song so I skipped most the guestpert from last weeks show, was there anything good in there?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

If you like BDG, his podcast Let's Make A Music is super good and only getting better.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

DesertIslandHermit posted:

It's kind of amazing that people assume the absolute worst of Travis when he's really at his worst a harmless idiot. It might have to do with people being used to weird male feminist nerds turning out to be creeps or the long grudges that people have on the McElroy Brothers over any matter. He just needs someone to keep him reined him

Eh. Travis, is like one friend we all had that was cool to hang with as long as there were other friends around. You like him well enough as long as he diluted and occasionally only have a beef with him when gets a little too frenetic. But you’re still going to buy him a weird book from the Barnes and Noble clearance section every year for his birthday.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I like Riddle Me Piss only because of how much Justin and Griffin hate it. Also I'm new to this thread so I don't know if this is a hot take but Much Squad is my favorite part of the show, it always gets at least a sensible chuckle from me.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Hot take but Riddle Me Piss, Play Along at Home, and Sad Libs are all better than Munch Squad.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Lukewarm take at worst.

I miss a lot of justin's dead bits. Why he latched onto munch squad we'll never know but that's just his steeze now like griffin's Yahoo.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Pennsylvanian posted:

Hot take but Riddle Me Piss, Play Along at Home, and Sad Libs are all better than Munch Squad.

Yeah, obviously.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

Lukewarm take at worst.

I miss a lot of justin's dead bits. Why he latched onto munch squad we'll never know but that's just his steeze now like griffin's Yahoo.

It makes me sad they almost certainly aren't getting paid for munch squad.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Wasabi the J posted:

Lukewarm take at worst.

I have a theory about why Justin is so enamored with Munch Squad and it's related to his interest in professional wrestling. Both rely on kayfabe.

The person writing the press release knows it's a lie, and the customers know it's a lie, and Justin knows it's a lie, but for five to twenty minutes every podcast we get to inhabit a world where Zaxby's chicken sandwich warriors are real and cool and my friend.

I just wish he'd pick better topics for the segment.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Gravy Boat 2k
I would love Munch Squad infinitely more if he could just be a bit more selective about it. Keep the bit, whatever, but this week's was probably the wildest one since the Pizza Inn poo poo from like a month or two ago. The planet's dying, Pringles~

And yes, any bit that hurts Griffin and Justin is well worth keeping

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Wasabi the J posted:

Lukewarm take at worst.

It's probably the one that requires the least preparation, and doesn't have a game component to try and manage and remember like his other stuff.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Bring back that bit from Satellite Dish where they read celebrity gossip.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I stopped listening to Graduation after the imp hospital, did it ever really do much with the weird sort of...theater/wrestling kayfabe of the heroes and villains or is just the setting and that never has really come into play?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

blossommirage posted:

Bring back that bit from Satellite Dish where they read celebrity gossip.

Bring back Monthly Observances

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

We need more Farm Wisdom ( Faaaarm Wisdom)

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Good Listener posted:

I stopped listening to Graduation after the imp hospital, did it ever really do much with the weird sort of...theater/wrestling kayfabe of the heroes and villains or is just the setting and that never has really come into play?

this is where I stopped too because I realized the setting just didn't work. they were just going out doing missions and saving the day and then the villain choice was like ... did it sneaky instead of a heroic confrontation. stole an extra bauble instead of just accepting the reward for saving a town

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Good Listener posted:

I have listened to every episode and I still don't know what's going on. The players were confronted with a BBEG, then another (?)-ish(?) BBEG and then they were approached with a character-based antagonist so they decided to try to assassinate the BBEG but Travis didn't want that so they... I don't know. It's genuinely so hard to follow that Griffin straight up made kind of a meta joke that he had no idea what was going on in the latest episode. It's a mess.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It was relevant in that the last ten episodes were all about infilltrating the oversight committee and destroying it, but it did not come into play in any way that actually made use of the premise, no

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Good Listener posted:

Travis bit off far, far, far too much more than he could chew. I still think he's great at one shots, but he needs to limit himself to those. The Hero/Villian things hasn't panned out in any meaningful way, or maybe how it has panned out is...what he wanted?? I don't know, but he's great at one shots and should not run a full campaign again until he's had the chance to DM off microphone for a while.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

The problem was that Travis laid out the premise very poorly and didn't let the players explore and learn the space at their own pace, so everyone had to fellow the premise and plot at the pace that Travis dictated they could. So genuinely even the few people who claim to like Graduation have trouble following what's going on.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
Celebrity Wine (Why Not) hive rise up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDUZvx4s2Pc

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Wine Not was a good bit and would have been a fun five minute break every once in a while.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Really hope they do more 'That's a Christmas to Me' next holiday season. Absolutely loved this bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIKWSx1fVQU&t=224s

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
The McElroy brothers will never do (insert your favorite old bit) ever again*

*except maybe for a donors only episode.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Jokes on you I love munch squad mm mm wholesome goodness, my brother, my brother, and munch

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Oops! All Bits was pretty good.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Shinjobi posted:

I would love Munch Squad infinitely more if he could just be a bit more selective about it. Keep the bit, whatever, but this week's was probably the wildest one since the Pizza Inn poo poo from like a month or two ago. The planet's dying, Pringles~

And yes, any bit that hurts Griffin and Justin is well worth keeping

This is basically where I was at. Love Much Squad but it could use some more curation.

Personally my listening habits changed over the past year and a half, so i'm mainly sticking to two weekly gaming podcasts (Castle SuperBeast and Big Think Dimension) with Talking Simpsons here and there. But during that transition, TAZ became the first one to drop. I enjoyed Amnesty well enough, even though I agree with the sentiment that it tried to be too big at times and didn't have enough of the group just goofing around. I got a few episodes into Graduation, but it really didn't grab me. Its been too long, I think I got to episode 4 or something, so I can't remember much beyond "didn't care much for Travis's DMing, the hero/villain stuff doesn't gel with the school setting"

MBMBAM I dropped mostly like in the first act of the Poochie episodes of The Simpsons. It's as good as ever, just wasn't feeling the need to watch it asap or anything.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

https://deadline.com/2021/03/netfli...ast-1234720300/

Griffin hoping aboard the voice over work wagon too. Weird but cool to see his name in the promo materials with the likes of Conan O'Brien, John Legend, etc.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Nice to see Joel actually getting them work. Was wondering what that guy does all day

E: that’s a stacked fuckin cast, plus it’s a Lord and Miller joint. Good for Griffin.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Dimension 20?!

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

The Repo Man posted:

Travis bit off far, far, far too much more than he could chew. I still think he's great at one shots, but he needs to limit himself to those. The Hero/Villian things hasn't panned out in any meaningful way, or maybe how it has panned out is...what he wanted?? I don't know, but he's great at one shots and should not run a full campaign again until he's had the chance to DM off microphone for a while.

I feel like Travis wanted to build something big but didn't know how to do it. He introduced so many characters and things early into Graduation which felt backwards compared to what Griffin did for Balance which was just introducing a new plot-significant character every couple of episodes with the exception of the start of a new story arc when he'd briefly introduce a small cast. Travis can pace and map out a short adventure just fine but creating a long-term campaign compared to creating a 4-part campaign is oil and water. The worst Travis could do now is rush the story to try to finish it because he'd probably end up introducing even more characters and things too quickly. If that isn't already happening now.

torn grimoire
Mar 21, 2021

something is clearly WRONG
i only ever experienced BDG via "unraveled" videos but recently watched through "dances moving".. it's probably old news but if y'all haven't experienced it, i highly recommend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGaPjW93kcM

also love TAZ; currently finishing up my second listen of amnesty and having a great time. not as good as balance, but still better than graduation by miles. i really wanna love everything mcelroy but graduation does feel like.. travis has an idea for how he wants everything to go--like he's waiting for the rest to recite their lines when they have no idea as to what they should be doing or saying. kind of a bummer. i just want griffin to run another campaign. or even clint or justin (though i've heard that justin doesn't want to DM?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

torn grimoire posted:

also love TAZ; currently finishing up my second listen of amnesty and having a great time. not as good as balance, but still better than graduation by miles. i really wanna love everything mcelroy but graduation does feel like.. travis has an idea for how he wants everything to go--like he's waiting for the rest to recite their lines when they have no idea as to what they should be doing or saying. kind of a bummer. i just want griffin to run another campaign. or even clint or justin (though i've heard that justin doesn't want to DM?)

DMing is scary as hell, I can't say I blame him.