Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Cory Lidle posted:

Is Amnesty not popular? I liked that quite a bit.

Also what's up everybody? I think Travis is a dumb piss baby.

They bled a lot of listeners during the experimental arcs, because they just went on way too long. I think quite a few came back for Amnesty though, and most seemed to like it. Graduation has been a sharp decline, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I think all of D20 is worth a watch, save the unlistenable Pirates of Leviathan.

I've been binging D20, getting through Unsleeping City 2 now, and I was worried I'd actually have to watch Pirates to keep the fix going. Very glad the next game is premiering soon.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
I'm glad they have Brennan back in the studio for the next season, because he often has the worst connection out of anyone on the quarantine episodes.

When I saw that the new one was going to be a murder mystery, I thought it would be a great return for the brothers because of their mystery novel obsession. But it still looks like a strong cast.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Marsupial Ape posted:

Nope. If Bean Dad was actually starving his kid, then Montaigne was actually being a jumped up B-Lister. There is no comedy on the internet.

It's time to let Bean Dad go, man. No one gives a poo poo about the lost art of Gen X comedy.

In actual news, Justin is apparently the host of a new horror compilation podcast called Bad Vibes. The trailer seemed interesting, at least, and is a really different kind of role for him.

https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/1376579289617989636?s=19

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Stroop There It Is posted:

Oh okay, that was more reasonable for people to be mad about, since clearly Sydnee hosed up in responding like this was any old Facebook fight attacking her boomer mom instead of realizing the relationship with fans is different and she had a responsibility to not call that person out like she did. Having been a member of those Facebook groups back before this happened, though, I feel like Rachel is downplaying the vitriol with which people were attacking (not that it makes the Smirls' response OK, but it does explain why they reacted inappropriately). Thinking back, IIRC people were saying that not doing a white privilege episode (which I'm sure they didn't feel qualified to do) would make them racist, but Rachel is suggesting in that thread that Mary was getting defensive about white privilege existing at all? I dunno.

It was kind of both. I think it started as a suggestion on Facebook, which they said they didn't feel qualified for, then a few fans started getting angry, and then the Smirl mom started heavily moderating and escalating the anger of the arguments and I think eventually saying some Boomer poo poo.

The fallout was that this was the incident that lead all of them to leave the fan pages, including the MBMBAM group, and several fans who had been part of the show like Rachel to be made persona non grata after having helped them run charity poo poo for past events. No one handled their poo poo well and they're probably lucky it was contained to facebook where no one cares.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

docbeard posted:

He did do the Dadlands one-shot, didn't he?

Yeah, but he also has his own full time show. They should just play another side campaign on Dimension 20. Tiny Heist was great.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Just Chamber posted:

I pine for the fun parallel universe where the brother's read out the article on MBMBaM and just rip into it. But I'm fairly sure if they actually did they'd end up agreeing with it and saying how they have to do better in the future.

Using a podcast to rip into the language of gender studies papers sounds like something Joe Rogan has probably already done. The paper looks poorly thought out and researched, but academic language is what it is, and has its uses.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Most current gen comedians have come out of UCB than older theatres like Second City that fed more into the SNL thing. So most comedy people are doing stuff on Youtube/podcasts and networking that way, more in LA than NY, especially since SNL has kept losing relevance. Pete Davidson may be its last breakout star, and even then who knows how far he goes. He and Kate Mckinnon were pretty prominent in movies for like a year and then kind of faded.

And even UCB was hit hard by the pandemic and the owners loving over everyone below them, so who knows where comedians will come from next. We may get a generation like BDG who find and build their own audience rather than going through whatever loose comedy hierarchy exists.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
I think only the past few years are available. It may be the musical acts, but they almost never have full old seasons available anywhere.

Also, I'm pretty sure SNL has realized their only path to relevance now is getting a sketch to go viral on youtube, and has designed their entire show around tepid lib political commentary and people breaking during sketches.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Warbird posted:

Just got around to the last couple of TAZ episodes and didn’t get the loan shark ad copy. I’m bummed.

They never actually ran an ad, as far as I know. They were just included as one of the shows with a promo code for the company, and it got picked up by twitter.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Crown of Dadness. Any enemy that fails a save becomes non-aggressive and to be filled only with a desire to wear cargo shorts and to grill.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
They also mentioned recent things starting as goofs, becoming real, and then harming them financially. I'm wondering if that's referring to their recent joke merchandise or something else.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
It's unfortunate that Griffin's favorite DM and role model is Austin Walker, who is the dryest and least worried about pace of all the actual play DMs I've heard.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Tears In A Vial posted:

I thought Quiet Year was a standalone thing? I thought i saw a tweet from the creator in which she said she never planned for people to use the world's they created on other games, but that she was happy people were using it that way

Yes, but it's structured around the idea of rebuilding a world in a quiet period between two disasters. It's designed to end at the start of the next bad thing befalling the people you're making. So when using it to build an RPG setting, you're inevitably making a backstory that's only going to be a backdrop to the actual story when you switch to the other system.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
I think they ended up not having the drive last year for obvious reasons. This one may have been an attempt to make up some numbers, but is obviously ill timed. May be bad news for some shows on the network. Hopefully they save Mission to Zyxx at all costs.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Woop, bad time to not be caught up. And bad times in general.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Surprised there's been a whole page dunking on a Travis photo with no one noting his mouth is closed.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

koshmar posted:

I saw this because Branson Reese liked it, I assumed it was a photoshop. Is this real?

Yeah, those comics are beyond dire. I think the main reason they exist is as a D&D ad, because WotC published a whole Rick and Morty tie in supplement just based on this. I don't think the actual show has mentioned the game at all.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
I miss Dad Maps™.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Earwolf has been just a vehicle to sell ads for a long while, and about when they decided to lean into it was when I lost interest. I thought their app failing spectacularly was funny, though.

Podcasts unfortunately became "mainstream" finally, so the biggest networks are companies like iHeartRadio just pumping out a million lovely shows, half of which sounds like they're produced by cult leaders. But they also produce Behind the Bastards, so I can't hate them entirely.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Enter my brother...

...at checkout.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Pekora was the fourth brother all along.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
If any part of you dislikes "Jeffy from Family Circus asks: I found a gun", comedy just may not be your thing.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Roobanguy posted:

I don’t remember who it was, but someone a few months ago was definitely angry about the term soy boy face, and tried to claim it’s actually called something else by everyone but chuds.

They didn't claim everyone used another term, they said people should use another one and suggested one they'd heard because soy face comes from and is used by idiots. Then some posters got real mad and apparently haven't let it go if they're still making poo poo up about it in other threads.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Ok? Sorry, should have known someone would still be upset enough to actually search for a months old post and double checked how they put it myself. How they said it was dumb but also reads like a joke, so eh.

It's hilarious people got so pissed that not everyone likes soy as an insult that they're making poo poo up months later in another thread.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Oh no.

Should I make offerings of jokes quoted from a child predator?

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Pretty sure Clayton edited every Monster Factory episode, and they've mentioned him a lot.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Previa_fun posted:

yeah crazy man good thing you're here to call it out. Really stick it to them.

What is this post?

Brands and companies larping poverty and then making press releases about how whacky it is in order to sell stuff is bad, actually.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

You're trying real hard to be obtuse here, man.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Colonel Whitey posted:

70k seems like peanuts for NYC, it’s not much in most places in California either.

It depends how you define "success", but that's well above poverty for a single person renting in Brooklyn with roommates, and into "being able to start paying off loans and saving for retirement" territory.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Which is why I qualified definitions of success, but the idea that you're only successful as a home owner is outdated. We'd have to go into how the entire housing industry is broken, that no one aside from millionaires "owns" a home in NYC, and that even people making over $70k in places like Georgia are finding it hard to buy a home now due to predatory speculation to really get into this, though.

EDIT: And even aside from that, there are studios in the city that go for like $2k a month, which is doable on $70k, though not the best. So even if your only qualifier is whether you have roommates, that's still possible there.

Poor Miserable Gurgi fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 2, 2021

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if what Justin said was at least partially a reason they decided to end it there, but wasn't the whole story. Everytime they talked about Monster Factory the first time it ended and while they were doing the newer episodes, they said it was like pulling teeth to find games that could work and then to get anything funny out of it.

It's unfortunately a format that depends on outside sources for material, and can just run out eventually. I think they may have just been glad for a reason to say they were officially done with it that didn't sound like they were being lazy or something.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
This is overly speculating about famous people's personal lives, but it could also be that games are their main hobby and stress relief, and they got tired of monetizing that. Hearing how they talk about finding time to play a game while raising kids makes me think that stressing themselves over how to keep Monster Factory going may have just gotten to be too much.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Yeah, TAZ is still in the top three or so actual plays on the internet, so if you're gonna get a guest DM that isn't Brennan Lee Mulligan, might as well be the person who's guest DMed for all the top games.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
That was Chris Hastings comic, who's one of the players on Rude.

Branson would bring incredible energy to a TAZ game, but would also piss off the worst kind of nerd. He freely admits he doesn't really give a poo poo about 5e's rules and has a flimsy grasp on them at best.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Justin has a very particular taste in games. I understand the complete disinterest in CoD and Forza, so that didn't stand out to me. He mentioned in the Accessibility episode that if he could play every game single player he would, so something like CoD built around multiplayer obviously won't do it for him. You saw it in Awful Squad, too, where it was his job to play, but he would quickly die and take out his guitar.

A couple of his opinions on story based games have stuck out as odd to me, but it's always complemented by one of the others being into it. That's why it works for me. Critics should have strong opinions and tastes, and all of them having different tastes means they can come at games from all angles.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
The game each week is a new release, so there's not always something great. Even if it's a couple of them doing the deep dive on that game, the others will discuss what they've been playing and other news.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
The story of that one is amazing, because he fully got thrown under the bus and banned from the show. But knowing how tight that show has to function, there's no way a director would keep his mic on and the camera on him for forty full loving seconds if it wasn't actually planned for.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Paul Blart: Timecop accidentally sits on the controls of his time machine and returns to ancient Egypt, where he is cursed by the Mummy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
On the upside, I checked out that GBS thread and saw a bunch of people dunking on Wizard Master's boring attempt at causing drama, so that was fun.