Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Oops! All Bits was pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

torn grimoire posted:

(though i've heard that justin doesn't want to DM?)

His characters have been best parts (and in some cases the only good part) of every single campaign. It would be like if Griffin decided that he wanted to let Travis be the funny one on MBMBAM so he (Griffin) could take a two year foray into picking listener questions and being actively unfunny on the show.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Can we call it “I am face”?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

brb, gonna start a wrestling career as Soy Face before turning into Soy Heel

Travis does it on purpose because he knows it annoys people and he thinks that annoyance is entertaining.

It’s Kayface.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

But they all do it by assuming that we care about their kids.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

the pumpkin question in this episode is goddamn gnarly

Marsupial Ape posted:

That poo poo was gross enough to be true.

I totally could believe that a single person could be so poo poo at life that they would allow that to happen, but holy poo poo how does a couple allow that to happen?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

That article was pretty frustrating to read, it really made it seem like "no bummers" is some sort of policy the McElroys have imposed that means "do not bring up uncomfortable issues with us, ever" rather than a policy that applies to goofballs getting up at live shows and asking questions. It should have been made more clear that this is a problem of the fandom and not something the brothers have imposed on anyone, or done a better job making the argument that the McElroys have fostered that within the fandom, if that was the point. There are no examples brought up in the article where someone tried to bring up an issue and was shut down, and it is really stretching to try to tie Travis' recent social media problems in with the larger McElroy brand. I'm really trying not to be a kneejerk defender of people I don't know, but it seemed to me kind of like the article was trying to manufacture a bit of controversy for clicks.

Eh, there is the case of Justin DM'ing Rachel Rosing asking her to not call them out when they're lovely:

https://twitter.com/Rachtacular/status/1346130073691144192

(To your point, the article should have provided at least one example.)

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Stroop There It Is posted:

Is this about the CBD snake oil guy?

No, it was when some people talked about how it would be cool if Still Buffering did an episode about white privilege and the Smirl family lost their poo poo.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

inferis posted:

The next adventure zone should be a group of focus grouped diverse people role playing as the mcelroys.

One of the players will be Travis playing the role of a diverse person impersonating a McElroy.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Sivart13 posted:

One fan, who goes by AwuBuwu on Twitter described the concept of a wheelchair using character as "hot as hell and I love it."

This person has a pumpkin in their shower for sure.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

quote:

The first podcast made by toddlers, for toddlers.

Lots of new thread titles lately.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Waterbed Wendy posted:

I kinda want to get into woodworking. It's seems like such a useful skill. My poor family though, their Christmas gifts will never be the same.

I can’t speak for every family, but my family did not want my lovely woodworking projects that I was very proud of.

It was still fun to learn though, but ended up being a thing that was just for my own enjoyment.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

That episode was a real miss for me. Spending five minutes talking about wood glues at the most basic level isn't funny, interesting, or informative. And then apply that sentence to the 40 other minutes.

But cool that others enjoyed it. I enjoyed the song.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Tears In A Vial posted:

havent listened for a few weeks, so im doing a catchup. the bit where they've put a coin in the jar for every This is very good.

I was super disappointed at the ones that they missed.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I haven't read the posts since I last posted, but from what everyone is saying it sounds like they were all poo poo. I would post good stuff.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

TL posted:

I laugh every time I see Travis' Hellraiser Pain Room.

I love that he has the most "I spent a lot of time and money making sure my audio is perfect" recording space, and it always sounds the worst of the three brothers. Meanwhile, Griffin is in an empty bedroom and it sounds totally normal.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I just watched/listened to BDG's Stranger Sings for the first time. It's insane that I missed this because it's incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep2d2WzdmVI&t=2320s

Also, I really appreciate being able to see the re-use of his educational rap character in the Pokerap.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

If "The Chris Farley Show, but all of the humorous elements removed" is your peak, maybe comedy isn't for you.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Do it ironically posted:

Actually just put TAZ out to the pasture, there are many far superior dnd actual plays, at the very least turn it into an improv or serialized fiction podcast

Maybe do it as one offs in live events

The correct choice. Continue putting Balance into various mediums where they can, and see if they can come up with another podcast idea that doesn’t have so much extremely talented competition.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Mike Wozniak has also been delightful in the current series of Taskmaster. And audibly horrifying.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Tears In A Vial posted:

lmao i just got to the bit of ethersea where they reveal that the map we're looking at is two different maps, one for the sea and one for the land, and that the sea is to the left of the land in 'real life', but they have put the maps the other way round for some reason on the screen.

It took me far too long to realize what was going on, even while having the map up.

Also, they should hire an artist to actually draw a decent map based on these episodes. (They won't, they'll just trust the community to do it for free.)

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

George H.W. oval office posted:

I mean the first episodes of Graduation felt good too so it can always take a turn!

The first episode of Balance is the only good first episode of any arc.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

It’s hilarious how Justin can’t help but make good characters. Even when Griffin explicitly states “Now remember, we’re not making characters during the prologue,” Justin still has to make a townsperson that seems incredibly entertaining.

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 7, 2021

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

The source material is good enough that the Travis/Teresa stream isn't terrible.

EDIT: The "Sex Tips for Husbands and Wives from 1894" book appears to mostly be fiction so I take back my endorsement. Watch birds.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

This man truly is the worst. “My wife won’t let me shave unless you give me some money.” Another hilarious tweet!

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Chieves posted:

This is really loving weird. You're a loving weirdo.

No, you.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Holy poo poo, I just realized his mouth is closed. I’m so proud of him. I take back all the negative things I’ve said.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

The Charlieverse encounter that Justin gives a disclaimer before is the ultimate 6 year-old thought, and it's just so so good.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Finished the latest episode of TAZ/TQY and had a question regarding the narrative flow. It seems to have very little cause -> effect to it. And more, “a bunch of unrelated things happen. Your project finished, add another element that doesn’t inherently force the game/story to progress.”

Is that just due to how they are playing the game, or is It by design? It seems great for world building but kinda scattered for storytelling.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

MysticalMachineGun posted:

"It's better with you" - the you is the listener, hth

The chaff? Doubtful.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Kazy posted:

The real mystery is why would Pepsi partner an entirely unaffiliated restaurant when they have a selection of the chain of YUM! Brands™ Restaurants to source from, and why our local QSR connoisseur did not pick up on this.

They don’t want to sully the reputation of Arby’s.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Zero One posted:

Where is my Ted Cruz t-shirt???

I keep refreshing the Good Mythical Morning store page, but I guess it's not up yet.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

George H.W. oval office posted:

Spare us two hours. What’s interesting?

She gives (what I assume is) a pretty good recap and explanation of Graduation which is helpful because that thing sucked and never made any sense and was impossible to follow.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

Graduation's plot was more straightforward than Balance or Amnesty, you just zoned out too much

But then, so did everybody else itt

I used to have this recurring nightmare that I signed up for a course in college, and the end of the semester comes and I realize I didn’t attend the class and missed all the assignments and didn’t learn anything to pass the final, and it’s too late to drop the class now. I also had the reality of zoning out in a lot of classes I actually took.

Graduation falls into the former category more than the latter.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

dmboogie posted:

but also to be fair anyone who defends gacha games is a turbo dumbass lmao

Excuse me, pulling the lever is the fun. Not winning the prize is secondary!

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

It's probably second only to Porky Pig.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

grittyreboot posted:

I was just thinking about truly depressing the Jumbotrons used to be. The one I always remember was one listener writing herself a message from the perspective of hers cats telling her how proud they were of her. It seemed that by the end the Jumbotrons were a mix of very sad people and couples engaging in very expensive PDA.

But also, “If you need me, I’m on my mobile.”

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

omg chael crash posted:

MBMBAM jumbotrons were whatever but the TAZ ones were especially dire, good lord

Jesus Christ I just had horror flashbacks of all the 3 minute long inside D&D jokes and references. What a nightmare.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

For reference, the creator of The Quiet Year suggests the game runs 2-4 hours. Podcast obviously changes things, but use that information as you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

If they played it straight people would be complaining that it's not funny.

Wait, these episodes have been funny?