Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
the mbmbam tv show was absolutely perfect in all ways and it's frankly the only thing i could care about them doing more of as a group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Travis is the kind of person the theatre kids would call a weirdo behind his back and have a separate discord from him

Travis is the kind of person to scream “do you know who I am” at a retail worker before explaining that he “is friends with Lin-Manuel Miranda, you know, from HAMILTON???

hmm i don't think so

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

Dimension 20?!

Dimension 20 season 1 is the best bit of dnd on the web

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Farg posted:

Untrue, dimension 20 in sleeping city

ive only watched season 1, i accept this as true, and am glad to hear

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
hating the mcelroy's is a symptom of facile leftism so this all checks out.

God I really want more game quick looks, I think that's what monster factory should have transitioned to ages ago but it feels caught between the two concepts.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Bonaventure posted:

i only hate the middlest brother, which obviously makes me a centrist
makes me wonder, which brother do you hate if your a monarchist?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Just Chamber posted:

Yea for sure, like honestly they should just scrap The Besties as Chris and Russ are just boring imo and it's on its last legs and start another series on YouTube where Justin and Griffin play games together. I want more weird game videos too, exploring crazy mods etc, like drat I hate that Nick turned out the way he did because him and Griffin made such drat good content. Griffin is actually just great at video game vids, even solo, his nuzlocke pokemon series was really entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYespfZgeWQ griffin's amiibo corner is a real treat. it's definitely one of those series where if when they take the bit too far outfield you'll hate it (clown box, anything that he did with nick) but the whole premise is great and it ends about when it would have gotten old imo.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Toad needed like...2 more episodes I think but I can imagine that series hit a wall haha.

oh drat it got 13 episodes i feel i may have missed these.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
people get mad that straight folk paint their nails, it's a dumb world.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
if you get to magic brian and don't love it, taz is not for you.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
The Quiet Year rules. I've played it about 4 times, and it's just a fun way to pass an afternoon with some buds creatively.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
people spend a lot of energy trying to poo poo on the people who mean well lol

a good chunk is obviously people trying to make a thing better but now they've just attracted a lot of folks who really don't honestly give a poo poo about anything but can smell 'acceptable targets' a mile away

like yo, they're gonna mention avery. obviously and if they didn't it still wouldn't have harmed her work, it just wouldn't have been quite what the creator deserved barring some insane world they didn't get to it y'know? It's good to! Absolutely, and I think if you're making a product off of this you're obliged to but still.

It's almost a shame Friends At The Table is so good because it's very easy to compare any other work to it and compile a list of sins. We know what good roleplaying podcasts CAN be in terms of doing things the right way it's just a shame this is the mechanism people think is the way to get it.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
im glad my roleplaying isn't a product for consumption of the public, I'll tell you that much

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
an enterprise of their size could do with consultation. a lot of stuff is just improv and that's cool, but you got planned characters of representation you don't have a good grasp on? why NOT consult someone who knows their poo poo on it.

is it warranted? well I'm not aggrieved so it doesn't really matter what I think.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Just Chamber posted:

^ well diversity in guests is different altogether.

Apparently the beef with the wheelchair character was that they awkwardly banged their wheelchair into something.

And also according to someone in that thread (who is pro consultant) just having someone happen to be disabled isn't good enough and that unless the disability serves a purpose then they say don't include them at all. Like so does the fact they're diverse need to always be a plot point and constantly pointed out and built on? Shouldn't we be at a point where actually the fact that someone's black or disabled etc and its just casually mentioned as a brief descriptor and the story moves on as normal be the way its handled?

Don't get me wrong I see the need for consultants when you DO want to make the person's diversity a key part of your show or go into their heritage and explore the culture etc.

yeah that seems backwards and is another problem:

identifiable groups aren't monoliths. problematic to me is not problematic to thee even if we happen to both share an identity.

A good consultant would be aware of this, but no matter how good a consultant is you won't be able to please everyone. But, they could do more, I think. And I think throwing some money and energy to people who know their poo poo could only help things.

They should probably just pay Austin Walker for some of his time since they're leaning so hard on FATT anyway, haha.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

I don't think the brothers and Austin get along very well at this point. Tons of FATT contributors openly dislike the McElroys, and Travis's. dipshit MaxFunDrive stunt last year can't have helped.

Yeah that was more a joke about them using The Quiet Year to do world gen like I think, Marielda?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

Travis did a DM workshop with Austin and other TTRPG figures. However, he did not disclose to those figures that the stream was part of the MaxFun Drive and a commercial product/advertising.

Do you have a link indicating this? All I can find is Austin openly linking people to it.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
That trailer was cute as hell. Loved it. I might actually listen to the McElroys again!

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Colonel Whitey posted:

well apparently it's nobody, and the animator just made up some characters? kinda weird to do that for a trailer but ok I guess

I doubt they record the show so much in advance they could make a super slick animated trailer before the show came out assuming characters were set?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
true enough, i also really loved the designs, they should just play them, imo

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Peep the name of the article’s author for a laugh :v:

lmao, there can only be one!!!

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

thecluckmeme posted:

Listening to today's episode and I was honestly expecting at the start for this to be a few episodes long for the prologue, but holy poo poo... 40 minutes into the episode and they are just finishing spring. Is there a part of TQY which hurries things along or is this going to be a 5-6 part prologue?

Me and my friends game runs about 4 hours or so, it does speed up a bit as people get into a rhythm but beyond that no, each season is the same amount of play unless you start playing differently.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Sankara posted:

"Your eldest person dies or Your eldest person is sick, and you lose progress on your projects."

Clint picks to kill his self insert, Griffin says it costs a week of progress anyway! Harsh. Weird prompt for a game designed to not make characters, too.

(x or y) and z not x or (y and z) by that punctuation

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
griffin' launches into this great bit where he reads a formal answer from quora and instead of playing out how awful boring and dry it is they do their best to make it kind of fun. like, it's obvious griffin is setting up how much of a fun wasteland quora is compared to yahoo answers but Justin still tries to make it funny and to his credit it's good but I think the brothers are too used to salvaging bombing content to let bad jokes land

anyway, munch squad am I right.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
that map is proof they are playing the quiet year properly, your supposed to draw it, quick and messy. they can do a better one at the end maybe when the game is done tho I suspect a fan will lmao.

game I played on roll 20 with some chums:

for those of you who don't like world building exposition gameplay, any reason your listening?

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 28, 2021

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Colonel Whitey posted:

The problem is that I have no idea what his approach will be later, how much he will rely on the audience having listened to this part, which parts he will or won’t use etc. I want to enjoy a new TAZ adventure so I’m just going to power through these episodes but I can’t help but feel that it would have been better for them to do all this off-mic and weave it into the later story for the audience in an organic way.

i suspect that's exactly what they will do but I suppose there's no sense speculating

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Ches Neckbeard posted:

There's that then this threads endless cycle of

1) Travis bad
2) Munch Squad bad
3) Why isn't Adventure Zone still the first 2 arcs of Balance
3A) Why are they doing Quiet Year?

you forgot the meta complaints about the threads cycles

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Wait, does :iiam: have a life outside SA or is BDG a goon?

@00:31 if you're impatient
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nNW54MP98c

This video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq3abPnEEGE&t=3s and a tumblr thing have used it so it's very possible to know it without the origin.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

The World Inferno posted:

*Hand gestures to this website, who's users affectionately and otherwise assume an identity as a 'goon'.*

People make a lot of things their identity. & write weird fetish fan fic about it too. As far as things go, probably better the McElory's than a lot of other stuff (4chan, cough cough).

making your identity near totally about one thing is bad but making your identity about controlling the behaviour of people you don't know but who make something you like is much worse compared to a largely benign place on the net you enjoy spending your time

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Slash my brother

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

I'm especially glad Griffin didn't stay single for longer or get dumped along the way, because he was pretty insufferable when he was single and lonely. Like, borderline incel bitterness in the early episodes.

ehhhhhhh

i think that's maybe being thrown around a little lightly.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
besties sounds like a strange kind of podcast purgatory

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
if you feel like the mcelroy brothers are trying to seduce you into an unhealthy parasocial relationship via intro music you can probably skip the first few minutes of the podcast safely thank you

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
like an adventuring party?

:crossarms:

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
very worried people think those are the real lyrics, what is wrong with this loving thread lmao

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I just think the lyrics are inappropriate. Have you all really paid attention to it?

It's a start of something beautiful
A podcast listener
Has blossomed
Met griffin
And formed a special friendship

I could have never seen what buying merch would do for me
Sydnee and Justin take me to Sheetz

It just seems to be encouraging a parasocial relationship
incredibly good

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 11, 2021

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Killingyouguy! posted:

one highly aware of our limited time on earth

i am sure of so few things, but of this I am certain:

the quality of your life nor the fear of its end will not improve by finishing more podcasts

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
no time to consume media, must consume media

more sincerely i guess I'm curious, if you aren't in it to fill a length of time with a thing you like, what exactly are you getting out of the experience? shortening it doesn't make a lot of sense to me!

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
i'm not mad im actually laughing (at these freaks)

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

if you're confused about the subject of forum drama from this past week, mcelroy adjacent (well.. they were on it once or twice and so were Polygon people) Drawfee has you covered (animated by deepblueink who animates the MBMBAM shorts) (that's the main reason i'm posting it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knMr_gs29o8

this was very good. i liked this a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
thank travis for travis('s extensive black hat security exploitation work)