Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

George H.W. oval office posted:

Its bizarre that Travis is failing so much now on Graduation when it seemed like TAZ: Knights was well received. Why couldn't he duplicate that success?

I don't play tabletop games so perhaps it's just my lack of experience speaking, but recapturing a successful campaign without retreading sounds incredibly difficult to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

taco show posted:

Uhh well I started listening to Dust since it’s between the Amnesty arcs and I really like the game system so far. I’ll come back to Balance after I wrap Amnesty.

It just all seems like a pretty harmless and funny podcast? I didn’t know what kind of insane fandom/BEC I walked into when I started a week ago. The subreddits are all insane. How the hell did it get this way?

You should not look at the fandom and live a happier life.

This applies to all fandoms.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Colonel Whitey posted:

Karen Han is currently annoying me because she’s stumping hard for Gore Verbinski to win the Blank Check March madness bracket and I don’t want him to win

Good news, BDG has agreed to not tip the scales for the final round so it's looking like it'll be Carpenter that takes it all.

I'm sad of WKW getting blown the gently caress out like that since from the beginning I was really hoping he could eke out a win, but at least Carpenter is a respectable choice.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It was just a single thread on the reddit that got closed.

tbh I can understand some annoyance since I sure as heck don't wanna hear them talk about like, 5 Depp movies with all the baggage that entails and also a movie starring a rapist.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Colonel Whitey posted:

I'm ok with turning this into the unofficial temporary Blank Check thread since it's tangentially related to BDG by less than three degrees of separation

Basically just wanted a place to post this masterstroke in the Carpenter v Verbinski war

https://twitter.com/zona_moribunda/status/1377295586991476736?s=20

The biggest twist of this tournament was learning that Altman was indirectly responsible for Griffin Newman existing.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Colonel Whitey posted:

Lol, I think I missed that. I knew his dad and Altman were drinking buddies, but did Altman introduce him to Griffin's mom or something?

Yeah! https://twitter.com/blankcheckpod/status/1376736996564013058

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Colonel Whitey posted:

That's wild, I hope they do Altman soon anyway

Same! I have hopes it'll happen eventually. Just not this year.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

My live show proposal is that when it is safe to do live shows again they should get Jon Gabrus as a special guest, so that he can bully all the bad question-askers.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The crossover I'm surprised hasn't happened yet is MBMBAM and Doughboys, especially since it feels like practically everyone else at Max Fun has guested on Doughboys at least once.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

C-Euro posted:

I don't know about different ads, but I'm doing a slow listen-through of the Sawbones back catalog and I'm getting ads that were clearly recorded in the present day (references to staying at home, Charlie being on ads talking) rather than whatever they recorded in 2015-16. I've never heard of a podcast doing that before.

It's a very common practice these days, it doesn't pay much to do that for old episodes but it's better than nothing. At the very least it can alleviate the hosting costs for those old episodes a lil bit.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

TAZ is literally a D&D game played by a family. what is the controversy there

there are also family-run businesses that have a pr person. idgi

Yea I've known some small (read: single digit number of employees) business that have someone that handles pr and/or social media stuff for them. It's a confusing thing to call out since it's far from unheard of!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

SNL is firmly targeting the MSNBC demographic these days, as evidenced by the fact that they did a musical number praising Mueller.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

SpacePig posted:

I think a decent number of comedy people still shoot for SNL since it's one of the more public ways to make money being funny and unknown.

e: Erin from Hey Riddle Riddle auditioned for SNL a few years ago and is only 2 years older than BDG.

I listen to a lot of comedy podcasts and I feel like 90% of the time whenever SNL comes up it's about the host or guest having auditioned for it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Having listened to that interview I gotta say that dude's absolutely a TERF and he sucks! He uses weasel words to frame it like he has a problem with the charity itself and not trans kids but doesn't elaborate on what that problem is even when asked, and says that people who had a problem with what he said were just "overheated".

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Entropic posted:

MBMBAM slowly turning into JJGO and I'm here for it.

:hai:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tears In A Vial posted:

The rapper Jean Grae? Or is there a second Jean Grae? That's wild if the former.

Yep! She has been on a few other Max Fun podcasts in the past so I'm not too surprised, but it's always nice to see her guest on something.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

How many snarky and lovely tweets and emails do you think they get per mistake?

Even tiny podcasts will have plenty of people act like that over tiny, inconsequential mistakes (and god help you if you make a tiny factual mistake while cracking a throwaway joke) so I can only imagine that it's impossible to count for a big name podcast.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm still keeping my donation going but I've fallen behind on a lot of Max Fun stuff. Mostly because of pandemic reasons tho, JJGO and MBMBAM used to be commute staples for me and so without a commute, well, I sure fell behind!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Podcast networks help for behind the scenes support but in these days especially, as an outward identity it feels like every network is trying everything.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The World Inferno posted:

I'll be donating, if for no other reason than to help stave the mass consolidation happening right now between Sirius XM (Earwolf :smith:) and Spotify buying up so many folks. Independent stations are a thing to treasure, even if I only listen to only a couple of their overall shows.

Yeah for real. I appreciate that Max Fun lets podcasters keep 100% ownership of their podcast, which is an insane thing to type but the process of leaving Earwolf with your full podcast rights intact is an ordeal.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The song used for the intro and outro of JJGO works p well with the vibe the podcast goes for.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Entropic posted:

It was so completely weird and disconcerting to hear that song used in a horror movie trailer last year.

lmao. If I saw that trailer in a theater I wouldn't be able to stop giggling and nobody with me would know why.

Classic.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Entropic posted:

lmao Travis was on JJGO last week and of course he immediately interrupts their normal thing where they talk before they introduce the guest, like within the first 30 seconds.

That's a power move and he should be proud of it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Yeah the Patreon model has made Max Fun’s offerings look pretty shoddy in comparison.

Yea though at least on the other hand in light of how there are a million podcasts I listen to that are putting like 50% of their output behind a patreon paywall, I can really appreciate how Max Fun podcasts just have the yearly bonus episodes during the drive and that's that.

eke out posted:

earwolf seems to be actively dying, at least in terms of being a network that publishes smaller comedians rather than a vehicle to sell ads on conan's show

but yeah i'm curious about headgum too, they seem to be doing quite well

It's a real bummer to see that the change in Earwolf's ownership has led to them not giving a poo poo about the people making stuff that the network was built on. I remember listening to an interview with Jeff Ullrich when he was still in charge. One of the things he talked about was how Hollywood Handbook's listener numbers were initially quite low but he noticed how passionate the fans were and he felt that it was the kind of show that word of mouth combined with some choice guest appearances (such as putting them on an episode of Comedy Bang Bang) could really take it far. And he was right. I can't imagine any of the suits that currently run Earwolf ever considering that in a million years. They'd see it as a waste of time because they're not already famous.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

grittyreboot posted:

I for one think it's silly to do a post mortem on a group whose second T.V. show is in production. They may have hit their plateau, but barring any actual controversy they'll be fine for at least a few years.

It definitely feels like it focuses on the loudest and angriest fans when calling it that, which is what people wanna hear about but also it's something you can't quite measure.

Podcast listener numbers can be annoying to find, but as far as I can tell The Adventure Zone has been holding fairly steady over the past few years? That's a more meaningful metric than what the angriest people online are saying. A lot of listeners presumably just don't give a dang when, say, Travis puts his foot into his mouth on social media.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Acute Grill posted:

It'd be murder-suicide because MaxFun handles their tour booking and literally none of the McElroys can talk to a stranger without a full on panic attack.

And while I'm not sure how it is for the McElroys in particular, MaxFun also has people that will edit podcasts and if you go off to patreon that's an added expense too.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

am I the only munch squad liker? I def prefer it to Justin doing an annoying voice

I liked it when it was something that popped up occasionally instead of all the time. Sometimes he still knocks it out of the park, but the hit rate just hasn't been what it used to be when it was done more sparingly.

Marsupial Ape posted:

Justin just needs to do a Doughboys appearance and get it out of his system.

A Doughboys Double episode where they try out some of the weird concoctions talked about in Munch Squad would be p fantastic. The experience would either end Munch Squad forever, or make Justin do Munch Squad even more.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

a pipe smoking dog posted:

One thing I've noticed is that British podcasts tend to have professionally made adverts for actual products whereas American podcasts just get the hosts to read some copy for snake oil or whatever. Why don't American companies produce their own adverts and tell the podcast producer to edit them into an ad break?

Does American radio have actual adverts? Because I think one difference is that British podcasts tend to be made by radio production companies and they just use the ads that the company would put on the radio.

There are a bunch of American podcasts that do this too and it usually sucks because they tend to be dynamically inserted so you'll sometimes get their ad breaks in the middle of a conversation.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

I know that’s not why JJGo has the best ads, btw. Nobody needs to climb up my rear end

Jordan+Jesse are legitimately funny people with almost two decades of radio and podcasting behind them

:hai: I've been listening to them for so long they're like podcast comfort food for me these days. I'm jealous of the rapport they have from all those years working together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

El Jeffe posted:

Is that not what "artist owned" already meant?

Basically it meant that podcast hosts would retain full ownership of their podcasts even if they decided to leave Max Fun. Which sounds silly when put that way but there are a lot of podcast production companies where that's not the case. For instance, when Dr. Gameshow left Earwolf and moved to Max Fun, they couldn't bring their episodes hosted on Earwolf with them and thus those eps were trapped behind the Earwolf paywall.