Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yeah but if you drill down on a lot of what people are actually taking issue with WRT Travis it’s poo poo like “soy face” and the fact that he does poo poo with his look and behavior that’s traditionally coded as queer.

Like there’s a bunch of people who “find it obnoxious” or whatever in a way that totally isn’t :thunk: as gently caress (see my previous post on the matter) but there’s also a bunch of people who are mad that Travis is straight and legit consider him dying his hair the queerness equivalent of stealing valor. And that’s also super weird and not ok.

Hey check out this take: if you find this cis straight man annoying, that's homophobic. Boom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ok Comboomer posted:

This is such bad faith horseshit I’m not even gonna respond to it, holy cow.

It wasn't intended as a serious argument, my guy

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

my personal take is that if they stopped thinking theyre doing good everyones lives would be a lot better. like they talk in interviews and stuff about 'we have an obligation not to just portray people like ourselves' and thats the worst attitude to try and depict a real-feeling trans/disabled/w/e person from, lol. like nobodys lives would be different if the podcast boys did just have orcs and white guys in their podcasts. maybe a few less people would listen to it but nobody'd die. that's not to say they shouldn't just that they shouldn't pay themselves on the back or treat it like its a grand quest, or like they're doing anyone a favor.

the issue is a lot of their fanbase absolutely treats it like a grand quest where they're doing people favors. so minor fuckups get magnified while people have to shout about how a random podcast dude doing a falsetto to yell that a d&d npc is trans is the pinnacle of representation. and like, its just a white cis dude playing d&d putting a trans character in. it has no more or less meaning than that. and thats fine. some people might be into that but it isnt transgressive queer art or a watershed moment. its just a thing thats happening

Yeah exactly. Representation in media is nice at best when it's actual poc/trans/etc people getting roles but a white guy saying "this character is trans" is not actually representation

Also the best D&D podcast in the world, Rude Tales of Magic, is made up entirely of people whose character is "me but I'm a fawn/sasquatch/skeleton" and nobody complains about it because it's too much fun to be a buzz kill about

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Just Chamber posted:

that side of the left

???

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Warbird posted:

Idk friend. There are people that think Stirfry isn’t the best. The monsters.

Sorry pal but Stirfry likers are cancelled for doing uh [spins wheel] heightism and you're only allowed to like Cordelia

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Marsupial Ape posted:

You know what? At least people want to take Travis' picture. I have a feeling that most of the goobers making fun of Travis haven't been asked to smile for the camera since the DMV.

Are you trying to come up with the worst possible defense in every situation? Because that's actually a really good bit and I like it a lot

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The World Inferno posted:

'dawwww.

The new McElory kids def gonna make a podcast the second they start speaking. The first podcast made by toddlers, for toddlers.

Please do not speak this cursed thing into existence

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

sticklefifer posted:

people who don't realize queer and straight aren't mutually exclusive terms

...?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

sticklefifer posted:

Queer has long been an umbrella term that can apply to gender spectrums as well as sexual orientation spectrums, as well as the absence of them. For example you could be a cis male pansexual, a genderfluid male-presenting heterosexual, or a non-binary asexual, and all of those would be considered "queer".

I think maybe my confusion here is that you seem to be using a very wide definition of the word "straight"

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Organza Quiz posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn might be the game you're looking for!

This is true whatever you happen to be looking for. Everyone play Horizon

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Becoming so woke I'm demanding the McElroys do an episode in blackface

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Stroop There It Is posted:

:lol: I enjoy reading all your posts in Skelly's voice and this was no exception

I say all my posts out loud in his voice as I write them and if it doesn't work then I don't post it

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The 7th Guest posted:

if someone fell for the loan shark advertised that would be unfortunate, both because they trusted the brothers to not sell anything fishy, but also because it means someone actually bought a moneyzone product, which I don't think has happened since Extreme Restraints ended their partnership

the moneyzone is for seeing if the ad gets ruined by one of the brothers breaking or going too far into a bit, not for actually listening to the ad. i mean you can't click on a podcast ad, you'd have to type the URL out and then possibly even input a coupon code. who even does that

I'm unclear on if this an attempt at a defense of the brothers or what you were going for here

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Stroop There It Is posted:

what happened to your av!! :ohdear:

I got owned :( skelly will be back soon, in the meantime please try to ignore the hideous creature to my left

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mikeycp posted:

it's too bad upstart doesn't have a mall kiosk so justin can video tape doctorwife yelling at them

Maybe some CBD guys can buy ad time and finally heal the old wounds

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pennsylvanian posted:

There's a guy on Reddit who's been posting long-form friendly critiques of Graduation from the lense of an experienced DM talking to less-experienced DMs,

Read this sentence and felt my eyes physically glaze over

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Previa_fun posted:

you should try reading past the fifth word and it's a good idea

I read up to the 12th word and it got worse

If anyone links it I'll read them, god help me

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PETA is a CIA front designed to turn people against the idea of animals rights

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Colonel Whitey posted:

I don’t make a habit of going in for conspiracy theories but this is one I could believe

I started out saying it as a joke but at this point I absolutely believe it

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

inferis posted:

If they are that worried about representation maybe they should have more people on their show than 4 straight white cis men?

Yeah if they really cared about representation they'd do some tokenism immediately

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

Inviting some other people to the table is like the opposite of tokenism also I don’t think you know what tokenism is.

"People are saying we're not diverse enough, better scrounge up a PoC/disabled/trans person to hang out with us" would fit the definition wouldn't it? It's diversity not because you want to hang out with that person but because they've got a particular skin colour or condition that you can use as a shield to stop people complaining at you

Personally I was laughing just now at the idea of Clint seeing the complaints, trying to adopt a 35 year old black guy and renaming the show My Brother, My Brother, My Brotha And Me which probably means I've been listening to too much cum town

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Warbird posted:

I’m hoping Brian gently caress can make a cameo in the upcoming arc. It might be neat to have folks come in and play guest NPCs or the like, assuming you keep it to a one off sort of thing. It might help address some of the “this family show of a bunch of white dudes from WV is full of white dudes” complaints. It won’t.

Brian gently caress is like six different kinds of diverse, he ticks a LOT of boxes

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Manstrocity posted:

Rude Tales of Magic is flat-out the greatest thing. If it vibes with you and you can spare $10 a month, you need to get on their Patreon.
Dimension 20 is fantastic. It's, like, startling how good Brennan Lee Mulligan is as a DM. They even have a very good campaign featuring the McElroys!
People seem to like Friends at the Table but I think it's a snooze-fest and the cast are all kind of bland.

The RTOM patreon is worth the entry fee just for the vampire: the masquerade one off, which is one of the funniest things I've ever listened to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

VaultAggie posted:

The production values for Rude Tales was fantastic and the cast was so talented but it was almost too weird and bizarre for me. I bounced off at the Come at the King arc and never came back.

Come at the King is a weird one, it's fully self-contained and the first thing they made remotely during the pandemic so it's pretty bumpy in places, by the time they got back to regular RTOM they're fully back in the groove but I can see how you'd fall off there