Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

inferis posted:

i'd never heard of them but chilled chaos 300k twitch followers and more than twice as many twitter followers than travis so ???. it was an established group of friends or something?

Oh God, that makes it worse. ChilledChaos's whole shtick with party games/deception games is that he will backstab literally anyone to win and lie to your face the whole time, and you will believe him. Literally the exact opposite attitude

E: I looked at the list of names and recognize Chilled, Ze, and Cheesy. They all play semi-regularly together in streams and YouTube content, and are very much play-to-win people. Travis was not with the right crowd lmao

E2: oh my God the whole speech happened because chilled and cheesy both knew who the imposter was but joked about voting off travis just to throw the game. :psyduck: I'm going to stop digging into this rabbit hole

bawk fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Next TAZ should be in pathfinder because I am a sadist and want to hear them spend four years to try and figure THAT poo poo out

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Starfinder, then. Much less complicated :haw:

E: I would love a one-off of them just trying space combat in that system. It would be two hours of nothing going by how they understood d&d 5e rules

bawk fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 30, 2021

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

VaultAggie posted:

God I’d love for them to try to tackle ThAc0, in like Stars without Numbers or something. Starfinder space combat is also a hilarious option. Glass Cannon struggles through it, even with David helping out.

I can't decide which would be funnier: Clint having to deal with 3 dimensional hex based movement, or Griffin realizing that he has to keep track of an entire crew's worth of info

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

It is wild listening to TTAZZ while having dropped graduation before Mission Imp Hospital. They're discussing things that sound like fake events for a joke because I never listened to that episode. Having listened to so many bits where they bullshit something as being real when the joke is that it isn't and would be ridiculous, hearing things like "a lot of influence came from the death of the firbolg's father is loving wild

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

https://youtu.be/szqx1FTBauE

TAZ trailer drops today at 11 AM Central

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

gently caress yeah, they're uploading on Thursday. I hope they keep it on Thursdays, that means I have a new episode of something to listen for every day of the work week for a little bit. Until they go back to every other week, that is.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Entropic posted:

Ethersealab 2021

Redub every Murphy line with Clint

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I hope Tyler frames this and puts it on his desk next to the picture of himself

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Tears In A Vial posted:

I am ten minutes in and I didn't retain anything from the info dump apart from 'too much magic make sea too big' and 'we live underwater now'

There's a magic country, an industrial country, Las Vegas and I missed the fourth one.

I'm pretty ok with the setup so far, the exposition dump was basically "hey there's Gods, one of them did a promethus and gave some people magic, other people branched out into other specific things to stay toe-to-toe with the sorcerer people, and now all the different people are forced to live in Sealab 2021 because of magic."

I'm only 10 minutes in but it's an easily understandable background to build on

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I do love how Justin is already killing it.

Travis: "For my addition to the water and magic themed story, I will add a lake that is magic. But DIFFERENT than the magic ocean."

Justin: "There is an obsidian spiral staircase to the very depths of the ocean. It was not built, but merely appeared overnight. Nobody knows where it leads."

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I will give Travis credit that having a distinct portion of the ocean where waves do not behave how they should, directly next to the spiral staircase to the Mariana trench, is a good touch

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

It's also a way to build up a map of land that, while uninhabitable, could be revisited as part of the main story once it starts

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Alaois posted:

fishingboatproceeds was john green's tumblr and after someone edited one of his posts to be what you're seeing now, tumblr removed the ability to edit posts from the website entirely

e: also im glad this thread has finally reached 2011-era roleplaying game forum level "but what is a game?????"

The Quiet Year is also like, 100% A Game with goals and an end-state though

To be clear, it wasn't that Tumblr allowed you to edit your own posts. You could just edit anything you were reblogging. They had to "fix" it by removing editing altogether

Tumblr was a special place

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Listening to today's episode and I was honestly expecting at the start for this to be a few episodes long for the prologue, but holy poo poo... 40 minutes into the episode and they are just finishing spring. Is there a part of TQY which hurries things along or is this going to be a 5-6 part prologue?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

eke out posted:

finishing up this episode, TQY is good, they're all obviously excited to be doing this which makes it arguably the best content they've produced for TAZ in quite a while

They are establishing a lot of good stuff for background material. The transition from "magic ore" to "Codite" was an interesting addition, although "magic ore is the remains of a dead god feels like it's been done before and is just sorta being included.

I want bathosphere content so they can start filling out the Sea portion of the map

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Just Chamber posted:

For this portion especially I wonder if it would have been a good idea to have there be a video version so we can see what they're drawing and laying out in real time.

I've been listening with the end-picture in another tab, and while you eventually pick out what they're drawing, it adds a little to the end product, but its mostly when they're dunking on each other for the awful MSPaint stuff they're doing. Like the baby by the coastline.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

scopes posted:

I honestly can't think of many podcasts that use songs for intro/outro music that mesh totally well with the theme except for like... bigsofttitty.png. The intro song for Dungeons & Daddies kicks but doesn't really communicate the show's theme or mood at all. Be Your Own Pet's Adventure as the theme for the OneShot RPG podcast works really well.

Funnily enough, while Dungeons and Daddies doesn't communicate its theme through its intro song, Talking Dads short little twangy intro perfectly captures the show's tone. It's only like five seconds long but it is so laid back and simple.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Finished the latest episode of TAZ/TQY and had a question regarding the narrative flow. It seems to have very little cause -> effect to it. And more, “a bunch of unrelated things happen. Your project finished, add another element that doesn’t inherently force the game/story to progress.”

Is that just due to how they are playing the game, or is It by design? It seems great for world building but kinda scattered for storytelling.

They basically have one in-game year to build up resources to eventually build an underwater town, and while doing so they can drop a bunch of landmarks as things to come back to. They could finish the whole TQY section without ever having somebody touch Justin's obsidian spiral staircase into the sea, but it's a killer signpost for Griffin to include as he puts together the main narrative.

I think of it like a collection of callbacks interwoven with the whats and hows of them getting to the underwater cities, a big brainstorming session that will have obvious framing for the setting but a lot of "unused" content related to their main goal. Griffin can take the unused parts of the map and pick out which things he has ideas for and find ways to weave them back in too

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

https://twitter.com/TheZoneCast/status/1395003544005132292

Weird that the plans changed from the previously-claimed weekly releases for the Prologue.

This sucks a lot. When it was weekly updates it felt like momentum building up the eventually every-other-week format, but 5 weeks just to finish the prologue? This has some TAZ Balance stolen century energy

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Sankis posted:

I mean the kid thing, sure, but isn't the TAZ thing using an existing system

TAZ is using The Quiet Year for 5 worldbuilding episodes and after that they're using d&d5e for the main campaign

Griffin is probably swamped with having a newborn + first child so I can understand why the once a month side content series hasn't uploaded in a hot minute

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Colonel Whitey posted:

Ok heres a more straightforward way of putting it. Play a regular rear end D and D campaign but use your quiet year session to develop the world you're playing in. Let your PCs explore the world and encounter the stuff you set up in your quiet year session as they play. Maybe they encounter all the things you set up and maybe they don't.

I'm just trying to figure out a way to avoid this ~5 hours of expository setup.
I guess I could do that but there's a pretty fair likelihood that when they get into the game proper there will be an assumption that people have listened to these episodes and they won't rehash a bunch of the background they've already established.

Part of the appeal of TQY as a worldbuilding game is you explicitly don't have specific details that you would need to know prior to using a finished TQY setting for a new campaign. The world exists and has landmarks and previous events that are background set dressings, but they're all things that a regular player wouldn't normally know about because it's DM knowledge.

I sort of understand what you're talking about since they've been breaking the "no named characters" rule, but I wholeheartedly believe that if there is need-to-know knowledge about the setting, it'll come up in a Griffin preamble to episode 0 or 1 of Ethersea proper. So far the only thing that is new/different to an average D&D campaign (but underwater!) is the Coral golem with spirits of a planeshifting tribe inhabiting them. That and the new sea combat mechanics, but that was explained in a whole different thing of side content

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Justin just putting out there "look we need some dipshits" is perfection.

This is the part of TAZ that has been missing, and I hope Justin continues. TAZ needs a dipshit on the main cast, and they all played the role a bit during balance. I don't know if travis and Clint have caught on as much, but Justin doing the "Taako turns left" part is a bit tedious, but it helps fight against the narrative for comedy. The funniest parts of Balance weren't when they all played along, it was loving with Griffin as the DM. TAZ isn't a holy storytelling device they should all gel with, they should make their own stories against Griffin's plans and their other characters

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Oh my God I loving love Ol Joshy being convinced he got rid of the blink sharks

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Ten minutes into the last Ethersea prologue episode and I gotta say, it has taken a while to get here but every single person has contributed some sick as hell flavor to the backstory of this campaign. The pacing to get to this point has been plodding, but I'm extremely excited to see how this evolves into the backdrop for the next campaign

E: immediately after posting this Griffin drops that actually, because The USS Biggest Baby is made of the bones of a dead and long-forgotten god, the boat has a soul! Only a few people can even pilot it! Holy poo poo!

E2: Justin made the diving suits into loving vape juice airtank suits

bawk fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 24, 2021

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I just finished the last episode of Ethersea, and I am STOKED for the setting. I started recapping it in my head and there are going to be a lot of weird old-gods touches that they have given a whisper to in TQY that Griffin can play with once the campaign proper starts

I really hope Justin's character eventually discovers a strange psychic power that gives him an advantage when fighting in water.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Now that the prologue is done I'm probably going to pick it up and binge listen. Glad to hear it's a bit of a return to form!

If I could compare it to anything they've done so far, it feels like The Crystal Kingdom arc from Balance. There's still goofs, and there's a serious story in there someplace, but most importantly they're having a lot of fun

E: but it IS 5 episodes of them vaguely describing a whole year of a society, so it is much less intense than an average TCK balance episode

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

hahahaha I’m listening to TAZ prologue finale now and I had no idea that’s how Winter works, holy poo poo

Even though there's an obvious bar showing how much of the episode is left, there's still a good deal of suspense because part of it is Griffin doing an epilogue of sorts to wrap up what happens

The ending is loving good

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

For anybody that didn't want to listen to TQY episodes, there is a fifteen minute episode that acts as a summary before the Episode 0/1/whatever next week. There's also some more maps at bit.ly/EtherseaMaps detailing the end result of the underwater city of Founder's Wake.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Episode 1!!! :dance:

E: I'm listening to the recap episode before episode 1 and I am calling horse poo poo on Ol' Uncle Joshy, the psychic powers of their combat against the Blink Sharks may have been a fleece but they did, in fact, get rid of the blink sharks!

bawk fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 8, 2021

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

TAZ: Ethersea: "HEY EVERYBODY??? DON'T GOOGLE CLOACA."

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I am laughing my rear end off that Griffin got inspired by the Wild Magic table from Graduation to actually use a random encounter table while traveling. I have listened to a number of actual-play podcasts and this is now the only one that actually uses the rule, or at least doesn't lampshade it.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Ariong posted:

That might be the hardest I’ve ever laughed at the number six.

They're still counting while I'm listening but the fact that they rolled A SIX PLUS NINE on the very first encounter roll is so loving unintentionally on brand for Griffin running D&D considering they ended Balance on episode 69

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

From the first two episodes + the vibe of the TQY worldbuilding, my impression is that Griffin isn't going to bog down the campaign too much like Amnesty or Stolen Century, but we are not going to get that Rockport Express lightning back in the bottle. This is pretty squarely in Crystal Kingdom-era Balance for tone and storytelling, but I think that's going to hinge on whether they maintain being cooperative with telling a story vs. absolutely loving dunking on Griffin for extended periods of time. Some of the best payoffs from Balance were Griffin taking some stupid bullshit from arcs 1 or 2 and having them land on their feet toward the end, like the Taco/Taako Truck

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

eke out posted:

i'd never gotten around to watching Tiny Heist, the dimension 20 season the mcelroys did with a few other people, and it's such a delight, both justin and griffin absolutely killing it 24/7 and even travis being surprisingly good as the straight man

Clint is such a loving wildcard in that series only to be out-wildcarded by Justin.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I just got to the end of episode 2 of Ethersea and Griffin narrating a cliffhanger moment, then getting hit with that new theme song, I felt like I was listening to Balance again. :allears:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

WEEKLY TAZ FOR A MONTH AND A HALF! :woop:

https://twitter.com/TheZoneCast/status/1425816272458063873?s=19

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

This is a nice page

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

The only deck building game you ever need to play is Magic: The Gathering. :colbert:

And you don't even, strictly speaking, need to play that one.

"But this deck builder/mmo/moba/clickyclickfest is different!" Yeah, no.

For perspective: Inscryption does not have an endless mode. There are distinct story acts that tell a narrative across its gameplay, and the clamor for a Slay the Spire style deck builder mode finally went into Beta recently. It's not just another deck builder to add the pile, it expects you to finish playing after a 6-8ish hour runtime and my eyes got a bit misty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

I feel like I'm missing something in Inscryption because it seems intensely difficult to me. You don't get enough squirrels to play all your cards to prevent damage and if you sacrifice your actual cards, you run out of creatures and lose. Even when I get OP death cards like no cost with good stats it's not enough

If you interact with the escape room puzzle aspects you steadily get permanent upgrades that eventually allow you to make extremely overpowered cards that can just bypass any cards your opponent has and deal 5 damage, winning instantly. Some bosses have board clears between phases so you can't steamroll the whole game, but every boss you beat gets you access to rare cards with unique abilities that you can beeline to a sacrifice altar and put on a 1 cost minion that will tear a board apart.

I suck at Slay the Spire and also suck at the endless Act 1 Beta, but time investment in Act 1 will let you trivialize it after a while. If you can beat a regular deckbuilder through wits alone, you could beat the game in a day and hit end credits. It took me a whole weekend but I thought it was well worth it