Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Travis is the kind of person the theatre kids would call a weirdo behind his back and have a separate discord from him

Travis is the kind of person to scream “do you know who I am” at a retail worker before explaining that he “is friends with Lin-Manuel Miranda, you know, from HAMILTON???

Isn't it this kind of weird posting that got the original thread shut down in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

So that's just a beardless Travis clone right?

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's bizarre the old thread didn't become everyone laughing at it.

It's totally right to laugh at Travis over that, it was embarrassing af, but when people start calling him "seriously mentally ill" over it that's when it becomes skeezy and weird.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Tbh Nice Guy Face is a hell of a lot better as a descriptor, is more accurate, isn't all over 4chan and has less weird sexist or whatever undertones.

Edit: though the Internet adopting "Travis Face" would be hilarious

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Pladdicus posted:

hating the mcelroy's is a symptom of facile leftism so this all checks out.

God I really want more game quick looks, I think that's what monster factory should have transitioned to ages ago but it feels caught between the two concepts.

Yea for sure, like honestly they should just scrap The Besties as Chris and Russ are just boring imo and it's on its last legs and start another series on YouTube where Justin and Griffin play games together. I want more weird game videos too, exploring crazy mods etc, like drat I hate that Nick turned out the way he did because him and Griffin made such drat good content. Griffin is actually just great at video game vids, even solo, his nuzlocke pokemon series was really entertaining.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Pladdicus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYespfZgeWQ griffin's amiibo corner is a real treat. it's definitely one of those series where if when they take the bit too far outfield you'll hate it (clown box, anything that he did with nick) but the whole premise is great and it ends about when it would have gotten old imo.

Oh yea it's one of my favs for sure. That sort of humour is extremely my jam. Pat Gill's Retweet the Toad series scratched that itch too. Shame apparently content like that just isn't allowed anymore on Polygon. Dead website.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Warbird posted:

Was BDG the fellow that was trying to get Nintendo to retweet that picture of Toad? Those were good videos.

That was the criminally underused Patrick Gill of Polygon. Who while not as obviously talented as BDG still 100% deserves to be elsewhere doing bigger and better things.

Edit: omg that Daigo video a few posts up, loving lol

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Jestery posted:

Did Travis get buthurt about not being good at fighting games?

That's some strong "dark souls is made wrong" energy

His speech is taken from an among us stream, just look on youtube you can easily find the clip. I can't even bring myself to seek it out again.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Shinjobi posted:

Justin does zone out a lot though; that ain't just a TAZ thing

For sure, it's why the Besties needs to end (the other reason being the two Brothers should be using that time to make more video game content on youtube), he just gets to that 59 minute mark and it's a hard out, it's so obvious he doesnt want to be there.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Sivart13 posted:

Jeez dude The Besties is fine. I'm not sure what "last legs" means for a now-weekly show that previously had only one episode a year several calendar years.

I think the second half of the show can get kind of weak when they come up with some game-adjacent bit instead of talking more about playing games, but I don't think it's any worse than the show has been throughout its history.

I think all video game podcasts are having a slow time because it's a slow part of the year in what's going to be a slow year overall.

Personally I think the two other co hosts are dull, always have been, and it's only been Justin and Griffin's energy and jokes keeping it vaguely entertaining, now that Justin seems imo checked out more and more each episode it's just barely enjoyable. I say last legs because they stopped doing weekly episodes for a reason pre Spotify, and while I think they were fine doing it weekly or w/e when Spotify was paying them (and Justin made it clear that it was only because they were getting money that it was so frequent) now they've lost that and they're still releasing eps every 7 days it's lost it's energy, especially from Justin, which is just Justin's vibe recently everywhere honestly. But hey if you're still enjoying it that's great, it's just the impression I get. I think it says a lot when their best episode lately was when they had Elyse Willems on who injected some fresh energy into it.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 26, 2021

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

This thread is just becoming weird with the Travis hate again

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Ok Comboomer posted:

I don’t think Travis has done anything that’s any more performatively woke than writing a character named “Chalupa” as canonically trans and hispanic was for Justin.

Yeah honestly that poo poo always felt pandering and cringy as hell. Like I get Hispanic fans latched onto someone named Taako being Hispanic sure fans can have their own head canon but Justin just picked a silly name, but then when he actually doubled down on that and created Chalupa that was weird to me. Justin was insistent that Taako wasn't Hispanic in his canon but then just give Taako's sibling a generic or whatever name and don't continue the Hispanic theme in the family. Like if you have a character named Sushi I might think OK that's a silly name, if you then give them a brother named Wasabi I'm going to think are you actually trying to say these two are Asian? And if I was Asian im not even sure how I'd react to that naming convention.

edit: ok Griffin named her Chalupa but yeah. Also not referring to Lupa being trans that's a separate thing.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 30, 2021

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Yea Lupa being trans I felt was done about as well as you can I suppose if you just want representation, because yea you either make it a big deal and have a whole thing about them transitioning and have the focus really be on that persons identity as a trans-person or you just go "they're trans" like you would say "they're male" or "they're white" if you just want some representation, which ideally as the goal is to have trans people be as accepted as cis people that's the way to do it. We can argue about them just throwing that in there to tick a woke box but I think their intentions were pure.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Dont we kind of live in a world where you can "magically" change genders anyway? Like the science is a kind of magic compared to not THAT long ago where someone's only option was to wear the clothing of the gender they identify as. It doesn't make it any less important if it's magic, especially if even if you live in a magical world you decide to change to one gender and stay that way.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Mukbang is kind of a gross combination of words in the English language especially if you're pronouncing it Muck Bang like an English language person and not like someone from Korea (I've heard it pronounced a few different ways, MookBung etc etc so I dont even know the right way). And if Justin legit didnt know it was from Korea I can't blame him for thinking like that.

I dont think Justin is or would have been cancelled over this but it shows where the internet is at the moment where he felt he had to rush and make 5 posts apologising and talk about anti asian hate like he was just part of it but it's twitter, he has to get on his hands and knees or face the wrath.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

If we could get Brennan Lee Mulligan to DM a TAZ I'd be so drat happy.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

docbeard posted:

I could be misremembering, but isn't there some medical reason for Travis making That Face all the time rather than because he personally wants to annoy people in this thread?

lmao it's not a medical condition

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Marsupial Ape posted:

I consider myself a good enough person that I would never use a gendered, racist, ableist, or homophobic pejorative to describe someone I don’t like. I am, though, a big enough man-child that I do feel the need to point at the people I don’t like and call them names.

So, as such, I am challenging the posters in this thread to generate new pejoratives to call people that don’t involve involve coded language. Just words that by their very mouth feel describe the person you are pointing at and mocking. I hope this will become a team building exercise that unifies the thread.

I shall begin:

‘Goober’.

Use case: “People who say ‘soy-face’ are goddam goobers”.

I look forward to everyone else’s contributions.

You should really look up the origin of Goober before you start throwing it around like that.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Warbird posted:

It’s what really old farts call peanuts and a term of endearment for “dumbfucker”. Please do share whatever fun racist/ableist/Xist source uses you know for it, I’d be interested to her about it.

:imunfunny:

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Endorph posted:

my personal take is that if they stopped thinking theyre doing good everyones lives would be a lot better. like they talk in interviews and stuff about 'we have an obligation not to just portray people like ourselves' and thats the worst attitude to try and depict a real-feeling trans/disabled/w/e person from, lol. like nobodys lives would be different if the podcast boys did just have orcs and white guys in their podcasts. maybe a few less people would listen to it but nobody'd die. that's not to say they shouldn't just that they shouldn't pay themselves on the back or treat it like its a grand quest, or like they're doing anyone a favor.

the issue is a lot of their fanbase absolutely treats it like a grand quest where they're doing people favors. so minor fuckups get magnified while people have to shout about how a random podcast dude doing a falsetto to yell that a d&d npc is trans is the pinnacle of representation. and like, its just a white cis dude playing d&d putting a trans character in. it has no more or less meaning than that. and thats fine. some people might be into that but it isnt transgressive queer art or a watershed moment. its just a thing thats happening

I agree, the problem is that when that side of the left latches onto you you have to be a bastion of progression or they'll jump all over you if you either slip up or aren't continuously the most progressive people on the planet, see: the recent Lindsay Ellis controversy that shows they'd much rather eat their own than pile on actual legit scummy people.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 31, 2021

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

There's some lovely sides on the left also?

OK, liberal white people on twitter, better? Regardless there's a side of the always online crowd who happen to be left wing that get really loving weird when it comes to who they label as bastions of liberal values like Lindsay Ellis, The McElroys etc.

Warbird posted:

Oh fun. What happened with Lindsay?

She disliked Raya and the Last Dragon and dared to say that Avatar The Last Airbender was an influence on it as well as being a big influence on a bunch of YA fiction in recent years, which apparently makes her a racist, she did the smart thing and deleted her twitter to basically get out while she could until poo poo dies down because that's honestly the only thing you can do in that situation.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 31, 2021

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

New Super Metis posted:

please put this thread out of its misery again

I just gave this thread a 5

Aw. The best thing the McElroy's have created in a while :v:

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 31, 2021

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Jeff's the brother who voted for Trump

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 31, 2021

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Sivart13 posted:

I'm not gonna make anyone listen to the latest Besties that is only Russ and Justin if they don't want to. But you might have missed out on the revelation that Justin's dog (which he hates) in Monster Hunter is called Woofa Doofa.

Thank you for this.

I'll be honest any podcast that features Griffin that suddenly takes Griffin away makes me not want to listen until he is returned safely.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

If there's something I wish the McElroy's would change it's the fact that they're white.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 8, 2021

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

I pine for the fun parallel universe where the brother's read out the article on MBMBaM and just rip into it. But I'm fairly sure if they actually did they'd end up agreeing with it and saying how they have to do better in the future.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

thecluckmeme posted:

It is wild listening to TTAZZ while having dropped graduation before Mission Imp Hospital. They're discussing things that sound like fake events for a joke because I never listened to that episode. Having listened to so many bits where they bullshit something as being real when the joke is that it isn't and would be ridiculous, hearing things like "a lot of influence came from the death of the firbolg's father is loving wild

That's exactly where I dropped out and probably quite a few. And yea this is the first TTAZZ I've listened to since and I appreciate how open Travis is accepting a lot of it didn't work but man I cant imagine how difficult it is to run a campaign when not only are you fairly new to it, but you have to contend with assholes on social media as well as the pressure of trying to match the quality of a previous thing that was universally loved.

Anyway this podcast has made me respect Travis a lot more. I wasn't a fan of his run but I think there were a lot of good ideas there that maybe just didn't fit the format well or needed a more experienced DM and he graciously accepts that.

I also appreciate Griffin saying they need to get back to a more organic, less long form big picture narrative focused podcast where they're just having fun playing DnD, that's where they shine.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

From reddit

quote:

I really wanted them to discuss their depictions of colonialism, inclusion, and attempts at diversity on TTAZZ. They didn't. I really hope they hire a diversity consultant next year like on Dimension 20, FATT, NADDPOD, or countless other successful RPG podcasts.
Graduation
I wasn't personally hurt by Travis's exploration of diverse characters... at first.

No need to go into more detail there, because what I really wanted was some discussion of it from the cast. I didn't get it at all. It makes me worry that they learned nothing from it.

I really hope they hire a consultant or lean on their many connections for next season instead of just doing what "seems right"!

Now I didn't listen to most of Graduation but is this really warrented? Was there anything there that calls for this or is it just a case of Reddit being Reddit?

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Apparently there's beef with the firbolg because he's apparently influenced by native Americans? I never really got that at all. Doesn't that sort of cover any creature at one with nature so all druids etc would need a native consultant? Also there was a disabled character and that was handled poorly?

Definetly feels like a lovely situation if you're trying to have a lot of diverse characters in your fictional podcast.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

^ well diversity in guests is different altogether.

Apparently the beef with the wheelchair character was that they awkwardly banged their wheelchair into something.

And also according to someone in that thread (who is pro consultant) just having someone happen to be disabled isn't good enough and that unless the disability serves a purpose then they say don't include them at all. Like so does the fact they're diverse need to always be a plot point and constantly pointed out and built on? Shouldn't we be at a point where actually the fact that someone is black or disabled etc is just casually mentioned as part of a brief descriptor and the story moves on as normal and it's handled that way?

Don't get me wrong I see the need for consultants when you DO want to make the person's diversity a key part of your show or go into their heritage and explore the culture etc.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 29, 2021

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Also to give Travis SOME credit (let's be honest he basically gets zero itt), I can imagine Griffin desperately needed a break and for all we know Justin and Clint didnt want anything to do with being the DM in a big campaign (as I think evidenced by the fact that we're going straight back to Griffin as DM for the next TAZ) yet they all wanted TAZ to continue, so Travis took on a big responsibility and pressure when perhaps he just wasn't ready. I would genuinely be interested in a Travis campaign where he's learnt from his mistakes cause he 100% tried to bite off more than he could chew for someone with very little experience. And yes Griffin was new to this but lest we forget this is Griffin "30 Under 30 media luminary" McElroy.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 29, 2021

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Pollyanna posted:

They all had to continue TAZ, it’s one of their two tentpoles.

Lol I did nearly add in parenthesis "and still wanted that sweet money train to keep on rolling".

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Zero One posted:

I was a little disappointed that Fitzroy bring asexual but Rainer having a crush on him never got resolved.

Crushes never being resolved sounds like 90% of my experience (but yes I do get what you mean)

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

DoctorWhat posted:

Griffin's obviously a huge fan and has said so many times but I don't think it's reciprocated, and if it ever was I can't imagine Walker's chomping at the bit to collaborate again after last year's stunt.

What happened last year? I vaguely recall Travis advertising something on a stream with Austin etc that they didnt know about before or something like that.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

inferis posted:

If they are that worried about representation maybe they should have more people on their show than 4 straight white cis men?

Nah I like that it's just the 4 family members, and I hope it stays that way. If they want to do guests, they could do it for the live shows or one shots sure but I enjoy the family dynamic in these long campaigns. Plus if we need to have all these NPCs represented correctly so they bring in diverse guests are those guests just going to be coming on so they can roleplay a certain diverse character accurately? So is a black guest going to come on and have to play a black character so it's portrayed correctly? Is someone disabled going to have to roleplay as someone in a wheelchair? They're never going to represent all colors, creeds and diverse characters perfectly, as long as it doesn't go into the territory of offensive I don't see an issue with them trying to just have some npcs in their stories that are different races, disabled etc to populate their world with some more diversity.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Party Boat posted:

It's a website, about video games

Apply directly to the forehead

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Haven't listened to it yet as I've been crazy busy at work so just going by the comments itt. But I do think there's something to say for just starting off basic and over time working in your large narrative with the state of the world slowly learnt by the characters and that sense of discovery is thus shared by the audience. A lot of my favourite RPGs start that way where you'll just start as some dude on say a ship and you gradually encounter more and more wild poo poo and learn just what the world you're in is all about. It's why I really loved Balance where they started as just some adventures exploring a cave, finding a magic item, that item turns out to be important etc. Or other DnD podcasts I enjoy like Dungeons and Daddies where the premise was simply just 4 dads from our world are suddenly thrown into a portal and things gradually get built on from there. I dont know, maybe I just like that more organic feel?

Whereas here it sound like Griffin has planned out a lot of it so far for this new campaign and is telling not showing, like what the state of the world is, what they'll be doing etc (building settlements?). But perhaps i'm misreading the comments and it's not as set out as i'm interpreting? Still I trust Griffin, and while I didnt really enjoy Amnesty I bet he's learnt a lot and this will be a really fun journey.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 7, 2021

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Gave it a listen and yeah this new TAZ format isnt for me. I'll keep listening but honestly when they can get to actually playing characters and roleplaying in a more traditional DnD format I'll be happy. I'm sure this model of building a land etc is really fulfilling when you're actually the players playing in that world but as a listen it personally isn't that interesting.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 11, 2021

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

For this portion especially I wonder if it would have been a good idea to have there be a video version so we can see what they're drawing and laying out in real time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Acute Grill posted:

Plot Twist: Justin resigns from the podcast.

"It's a Departure" didn't really have anything to do with their podcast either, to be fair. I just probably wouldn't have picked a song that's clearly about two people for my three-person podcast. Ah well, it's not important.

Yea it is weird, the outro clip of the song iirc doesnt have the "it takes two" line so I feel they should just use that for the intro.