Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The McElroy's make a lot of podcasts, most of which are pretty entertaining. Let's discuss them here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArdgkjGDajg

Old thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3760191&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Warbird posted:

Boy geez I do love those three boys and their daddy who should be on the podcast more often than he is.

This is really true. It's really neat how a guy who spent his whole life doing local radio bred three children who, basically, do the same thing. I'd love seeing Clint on the show, or heck, a show of his own.

Tho I suppose the dude also deserves a nice retirement too.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

MorningMoon posted:

so i'm kinda out of hte loop, was the meltdown last thread because Travis was insufferably cringe in someone else's stream and it piled up wiht all the smaller annoyances he's known for?

He's had a bad week. Chalk it up to general frustration for how he's directed TAZ over the past months + an innocent but oblivious group of tweets + that very 'oof' twitch rant he dived into when he got trolled. He's off Twitter and maybe twitch for now tho, so hey, hopefully the break does him well.

Their stuff in general is still chugging along tho and pretty entertaining. It's more that that's all the news/discussionworthy stuff about them lately, for worse.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

zimbomonkey posted:

Making this thread be about BDG as well is an awesome idea. Has a very similar energy to the McElroys and deserves to be discussed.

Also there's nothing bad to say about him at all as he is perfect and amazing.

Very excited to see what he does post-Polygon. Fella's certainly trying to expand his horizons, hoping and expecting he turns to doing something larger than 20 minute youtube videos with his buds.

Makes me wonder in general, Justin has made pretty overt gesture towards becoming an actual voice actor. Wonder if the rest of them are eyeing where they can exit in five years from the podcasting empire into other media.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

He only left at the top of the year, so it's safe to assume there's more to come being worked on now.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

They bled a lot of listeners during the experimental arcs, because they just went on way too long. I think quite a few came back for Amnesty though, and most seemed to like it. Graduation has been a sharp decline, though.

The experimental arcs were a hoot. Worst case, we got to hear a drastically different DM / systems previewed. Amnesty didn't hit the highs of Balance, imho, but it was still a pretty fun environment and fun characters.

Indeed tho, Graduation has bricked the podcast, which I feel safe saying outside of my humble opinion. They have to be seeing the listener decline, so hoping they end it soon and get on to the next arc. Then again, Griffin's having another kid soon, so maybe they're keeping it alive to pad out the time for him to prep another big thing.

Ya ever feel like you know too much about the lives of strangers? Feeling that tonight indeed.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 23, 2021

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Pennsylvanian posted:

One of the posters on the board referred to it as "The Vickers Valiant of DnD Campaigns," which refers to a WW2 tank that was so terrible that it was canned like an hour into its trials and was kept on an army base as an example for engineers to examine its flaws. It's kind of a tortured simile, but I find it pretty apt.

I love this analogy.

George H.W. oval office posted:

Its bizarre that Travis is failing so much now on Graduation when it seemed like TAZ: Knights was well received. Why couldn't he duplicate that success?

imo because he's taking this one too seriously and has a very specific vision of how it should unfold. It's a kind of lumpy vision not many are enjoying, which doesn't help much either.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Really hope they do more 'That's a Christmas to Me' next holiday season. Absolutely loved this bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIKWSx1fVQU&t=224s

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

https://deadline.com/2021/03/netfli...ast-1234720300/

Griffin hoping aboard the voice over work wagon too. Weird but cool to see his name in the promo materials with the likes of Conan O'Brien, John Legend, etc.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Crown of Candy ends on a fun note, but the first half of it rises to the occasion of being a Candy land Game of Thrones shockingly well. Legit stressful medieval drama, but with food people. It's the best.

Rick Diggins is the best character in that show tho. HOW SPICY DO YOU WANT IT?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Stroop There It Is posted:

lol it took me a while to notice the spelling of the thread title... oopsies

Look deep within yourself tho, would you have it any other way.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Its mostly the audio, it was the first full quarantine season and it just sounds abysmal, especially Brennan. There is one cast member who does a bunch of annoying player things that I personally can

Which one out of curiosity?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Vice actually wrote about Adventure Zone's woes. https://www.vice.com/en/article/5dp...erboard_twitter

quote:

For what it's worth, Justin McElroy, the eldest of the brothers, agrees that some aspects of this season have been rough. Justin told Motherboard that in particular, the amount of NPCs was "tough, for sure."

"I think Graduation has taught us a lot about finding the balance between narrative and more mechanical linear encounters," Justin said. "Trav had put a lot of thought into his world, and I think maybe he was trying to unfurl it too quickly at the top. He’s repeatedly told us there’s a lot that he’d do differently if he could start over."

Justin said that from his perspective, working with his family is a source of strength. The rapport that the McElroy family has with each other is a huge part of the appeal for listeners.

"It certainly raises the stakes when it comes to stuff like criticism," Justin said. "There is a vocal part of our audience that has been truly hostile to Travis throughout Graduation and speaking as his brother, it’s heartbreaking to see. The guy really did try his best and, in my opinion, still succeeded a lot more than he failed. But I can’t just be the big brother who tells him to shut it all out and keep his chin up, I have to be a collaborator who asks 'OK, what do we learn from this? How do we improve?'"

Cathartic in a way to see one of em' comment on the criticism. Wonder how many people will jump back on the ship for the mini-arcs / next season if they right the course. I will at least for sure.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 30, 2021

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Agree that that article hits a few weird notes. Along with what Colonel Whitey mentioned, it's kind of funny how it weaves in and out of treating them like a three-headed person and individuals. Consequence of the brand, I suppose.

QuoProQuid posted:

how can you not know there's a mcelroy shitstorm when this thread and its predecessor self-destructs every two weeks over people being unable to stop posting about how much they hate travis

This is a thread to discuss the McElory's, one of the boys been doing discussionable stuff, people gonna discuss the boy. Most of the posts on it have been pretty even kneeled :shrug:.

Shinjobi posted:

In these trying times, can there truly be a love zone

There must be lights burning brighter somewhere. Got to be birds flying higher in a sky more blue... if I can dream of a better land, where all my brothers walk hand in hand, tell me why, oh why, oh why can't my dream come true, oh why...

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I was kind of hoping they'd show up in the upcoming D20 show Mice and Murder (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CokApJchV94), but am also pretty excited to finally see them get Grant O'Brien in a game.

It would be kind of hilarious to see them play a game under Spencer Crittenden. The clashing high energy of the McElory's vs. Spencer's would be delightful.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Wonder if that's just the smile someone makes when they don't feel like they've really figured out how to do a normal one and just way over commit to showing the teeth. I feel like I made that face a decent amount as a thirteen year old and being super self-conscious of how my smile might look.

Also, want to see that shower pumpkin.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

'dawwww.

The new McElory kids def gonna make a podcast the second they start speaking. The first podcast made by toddlers, for toddlers.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Totcast, friend of tots.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

"The inside wet" is very good.

Also I smell a new Justin bit. Looking for the theme song, and come to think of it, surprised the dude hasn't released his own lounge-singer styled christmas album yet.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Jestery posted:

I took up a bit of wood working

It was a fun experience and I got to use trigonometry in a practical way that made my life better

I made a quail coop

This is lovely.

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Yeah, that's kind of my situation. I looked into it though and there is a woodshop open to people who want to take woodworking courses. It seems pretty cool, now I just need a babysitter lol. They probably don't want a two year old in there.

Counterpoint: make your first project a toddler box and insert toddler in the safe artesianal box

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The ghost statement wasn't too bad, but oof the followup one.

yeah actually they will posted:

I have a theory that every raccoon is the ghost of a Confederate Civil War hero.

Speaking of civil war ghosts, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAZJVkelgcg.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

:hmmyes: he's a McElory, and this is a love zone for all McElory's.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Tears In A Vial posted:

Let's Make A Music is good, so thanks for those that recommended it

That they write legit good songs at the end of it makes me so happy. I've had Big Veg one on regular rotation, it's great. https://letsmakeamusic.bandcamp.com/track/wake-up-for-big-veg

Also I assumed the Appalachian Woodworking thing was an April Fool's joke. Was pleasantly surprised by the episode! Good stuff.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Mid muffin mood

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

'daww. "This happens more than you might think. Well, not this exactly" is wonderful.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

docbeard posted:

Low stakes crises can often be more interesting than save-the-world stuff in general.

I do legit wonder if research has been done on whether people actually relate more to a low-stake-crisis than a world-ending-crisis. Go easy on yourself writers, losing 100 lives is a tragedy, your stakes need not be so unfathomable.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Empty Sandwich posted:

fundamentally relieved that they didn't go with that new theme song by Har Mar Superstar

Unsure if this is a joke, but would be curious to hear it if it isn't.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Ariong posted:

The brothers are generally only able to reach the highest level of comedy when they are A) sleep deprived B) on drugs or C) hosed up on pasta.

D) hosed up on Totino's pizza rolls

wait are pizza rolls a pasta

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I bought one pair of meUndies and they're ok, but not $20 ok. Feel very ok not buying Hello Fresh, Blue Plate, StitchFix, etc. etc. tho.

It is really fun checking through the ads if you're listening to something outside of your ad profile. Ads about going bald? Yea, probably a male-dominated podcast. Ads about bras? Hell yeah suck it marketing assumptions.

Do people get served different ads? Or did they remove it from TAZ. Didn't hear it in the latest ep.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

One thing I feel ya pick up from listening to enough comedy-world podcasts (specifically Conan in my case) is that SNL is an abusive environment that generally sucks, but the people who endured that and it worked out for look back on fondly. Kind of like Middle School. Sounds terribly mentally taxing for anyone who doesn't find their niche. Tho I the clout seems to pay off.

Warbird posted:

I can’t believe Dale made them read that ad copy.

Also the best McElroy did a new thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdVgPCM5wEk

The best McElory. He's also got a podcast with his sister and roommate called 'Let's Make a Music' that's along these lines to a degree. Good premise of taking relatively goofy prompts and writing straight-faced songs on those – https://letsmakeamusic.com/letsmakeamusic/2021/2/22/wake-up-for-big-veg-lmam-12

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Colonel Whitey posted:

I guess it depends what you want to do. If you want to make your living off podcasting and youtube videos then you don’t need the traditional avenues and that seems plenty lucrative, at least right now.

To devil's advocate this, trying to make a living solely off of podcasting and youtube is still a hell of a crapshoot. BDG can only do what he does cause he worked at Polygon for long while and got a huge boost from making good stuff, but also also making good stuff for a company that marketed his stuff. McElory's are a slight exception as they're the one in a million folks that built an audience from nothing, but any platform that's a traditional avenue is still gonna be a huge boon.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Colonel Whitey posted:

E:^sure, but a career in entertainment is a crapshoot regardless. All things being equal and starting from scratch, I’m not sure you’re any more likely to be successful either way.

Eh, I mean there's no hard numbers on this, but having a company w/ a social team pushing your stuff to accounts with near a million followers and multiple other contributors/colleagues supporting you certainly helps to some extent.

The jokes in the latest episode about cowboys was very good. Griffin's tired casual dominance of the poop game was also just delightful.

The quiet "I don't think it is" in response to "Is Yahoo Answers going to heaven?" also very good.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 14, 2021

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Tears In A Vial posted:

What was the Steven king poo pun? They're all talking over it

poo poo, in place of It, I believe.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Entropic posted:

Who actually watches broadcast/cable TV anymore? Is it even still a thing? I don't genuinely know.

Parents, people in suburbs.

SNL and what not is on Youtube tho now, and lord knows someone's probably pitched a streaming service that's just new and old SNL stuff.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Yeah, it's a pretty uncomfortable listen.

Rob really comes off poorly, as his defenses are "I thought the article made good points at the time" but fails to recall what points he had agreed with. Then mentions there isn't anything he could say to make it better (prob true, but not trying isn't a good look). Then pretty hardily declines any comment on the charity or trans people (outside of that he supports them broadly speaking).

...with a lot of pausing and Jesse lobbing softballs at him in between. It's one thing to decide to never comment on a controversy ya start, but it does come across as not good to play ignorant of the whole thing.

Article does a good job highlighting that,

quote:

The 48-year-old said of Turner’s article: ‘I can’t even really remember what her specific objections were but they made sense to me at the time, and I retweeted it approvingly. There was this feeling that if you criticise a charity and the way it operates or its methodology, that is the same as criticising the client base. It’s like saying if I’ve got a problem with the way Oxfam is operating, it’s because I hate third people in the third world.’

He was then asked what specifically Webb was being critical of, with the star saying: ‘I can’t remember, Jesse, really. It was the end of 2018 and it’s not something I really want to talk about.’

There was a brief silence before Thorn asked: ‘Do you feel like it’s appropriate to affirm kids’ gender identities?’, with Webb saying: ‘Sure. I think it’s on a case by case basis but I’m not really an expert.’

Back in 2018, Webb wrote back to critics: ‘Accusing me of picking on children is dishonest and low. I was different, as was my wife. I was a “queer”, she was a “tomboy”. It turned out we were non gender-confoming children. Many kids like us turn out to be gay. Others don’t. A tiny minority have dysphoria. ‘That’s a medical condition and those children deserve respect, love, support and counselling. But telling all kids like me & Abbie that we were born into the wrong body & therefore need a lifetime of medication… that’s just wrong.’

Sounds a lot like JK :smith:

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Apr 15, 2021

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Brother Funches learning how to 'Squad!' is just delightful, as is most things that lovely man graces. Good temp McElory.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

:perfect:

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

This feels right.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

They half joke half - well, actually - the premise of ending it here. Though that's quickly met by the reality that this show is their crown jewel, the tent-pole of their shows.

Undead Hippo posted:

Someone posted in the last thread that they'd inquired about ad rates for a charity for Max-fun. For MBMBaM the "Non Profit" ad read rate was $9000 per read, back in 2017. They're doing 3-5 reads per episode. (As well as each doing multiple podcasts with TAZ/Wonderful/Sawbones/Schmanners)

Don't know whether subs are worth more. But advertising is certainly not a small sum.

I have to imagine a lot of that gets eaten up by admin costs among other things. Would be curious how much an episode net's em' tho. Probably average out to high five figures overall? Suppose none of them are launching patreons yet.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

more falafel please posted:

DON'T TALK TO ME UNTIL I'VE HAD MY
PODCASTS

You kid, but I'm legit bummed those are no longer offered on their store. Went to buy one and it was gone :smith:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Yeah but "give me that Quora" just doesn't have the same ring to it :sigh: