Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Today’s episode reminded me of the good old days. They sounded more present and enthused than they have in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Travis is the kind of person the theatre kids would call a weirdo behind his back and have a separate discord from him

I’m no great Travis apologist, but that’s says a lot more about the shittiness of the theatre kids than it does Travis.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

DesertIslandHermit posted:

It's kind of amazing that people assume the absolute worst of Travis when he's really at his worst a harmless idiot. It might have to do with people being used to weird male feminist nerds turning out to be creeps or the long grudges that people have on the McElroy Brothers over any matter. He just needs someone to keep him reined him

Eh. Travis, is like one friend we all had that was cool to hang with as long as there were other friends around. You like him well enough as long as he diluted and occasionally only have a beef with him when gets a little too frenetic. But you’re still going to buy him a weird book from the Barnes and Noble clearance section every year for his birthday.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Travis can be obnoxious and cringe but he’s pretty much harmless. People get too used to assuming hipster liberals are really nasty or creepy but he’s just really annoying at times. He does need to read less social media, though.

I finally watched that clip and...oof...that was mortifying to watch. I think that was him actually controlling his rage, somewhat. In his defense, that ChilledChaos guy everybody is handjobing instantly triggered my “edge lord brat that thrives on negative attention alarm”.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
As far as chicken sandwiches got, whether you like it grilled, crispy, or smoked, I recommend brining your chicken over night in pickle juice. The sandwich you make at home will end all wars.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

QuoProQuid posted:

the pumpkin question in this episode is goddamn gnarly

That poo poo was gross enough to be true.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I totally could believe that a single person could be so poo poo at life that they would allow that to happen, but holy poo poo how does a couple allow that to happen?

I’m assuming this is a white trash couple living in a decrepit trailer. Cat hair and Naruto posters everywhere.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

eke out posted:

bigsofttitty.png released a new theme song, a voicemail from montaigne about how they don't make enough money to afford commissioning a theme song from her

So, I just sought that out, having never heard of the podcast...loving hell, what a stuck up, shade throwing turd.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Sankara posted:

I feel like the actual story behind "pumpkin in bathtub went bad" was they didn't shower for six months.

Still tracks with my theory.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Jestery posted:

Welcome to Aussie comedy, where you call your mates pieces of poo poo

They are all in on the joke

Nope. If Bean Dad was actually starving his kid, then Montaigne was actually being a jumped up B-Lister. There is no comedy on the internet.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Casey Finnigan posted:

I mean it is a Korean word that specifically refers to loudly eating on camera. Which many people think is a gross thing.

It's like being like "sorry I said that the word 'geroru' sounds gross. It is actually a Japanese word that means 'to puke.' So, it's... not gross?"

So it’s an onomatopoeia?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yeah but if you drill down on a lot of what people are actually taking issue with WRT Travis it’s poo poo like “soy face” and the fact that he does poo poo with his look and behavior that’s traditionally coded as queer.

Like there’s a bunch of people who “find it obnoxious” or whatever in a way that totally isn’t :thunk: as gently caress (see my previous post on the matter) but there’s also a bunch of people who are mad that Travis is straight and legit consider him dying his hair the queerness equivalent of stealing valor. And that’s also super weird and not ok.

I consider myself a good enough person that I would never use a gendered, racist, ableist, or homophobic pejorative to describe someone I don’t like. I am, though, a big enough man-child that I do feel the need to point at the people I don’t like and call them names.

So, as such, I am challenging the posters in this thread to generate new pejoratives to call people that don’t involve involve coded language. Just words that by their very mouth feel describe the person you are pointing at and mocking. I hope this will become a team building exercise that unifies the thread.

I shall begin:

‘Goober’.

Use case: “People who say ‘soy-face’ are goddam goobers”.

I look forward to everyone else’s contributions.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Just Chamber posted:

You should really look up the origin of Goober before you start throwing it around like that.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81hbo9gEv0L._SL1500_.jpg

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Warbird posted:

It’s what really old farts call peanuts and a term of endearment for “dumbfucker”. Please do share whatever fun racist/ableist/Xist source uses you know for it, I’d be interested to her about it.

Same. It’s literally the name of a popular sandwich spread.

New neutral perjorative: ‘ding-dong’

Use case: “Concern trolls are such loving ding-dongs”.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

eke out posted:

it's funny because there's a very simple way to actually promote representation: play dnd with some people who are not cishet white men lol

That is the correct answer and I can’t believe it took us this deep into the conversation to get to it.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
You know what? At least people want to take Travis' picture. I have a feeling that most of the goobers making fun of Travis haven't been asked to smile for the camera since the DMV.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I honestly don't even like Travis, but you misanthropes keep proving my point.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Do it ironically posted:

I would pay good money to see them on a power hour with gabrus

Which one will admit to being able to suck his own dick?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Srice posted:

The crossover I'm surprised hasn't happened yet is MBMBAM and Doughboys, especially since it feels like practically everyone else at Max Fun has guested on Doughboys at least once.

I don't know how much they could stand the performative animosity that Wiger and Mitch have towards each other and themselves.

I do think a MBMBaM/You Look Nice Today crossover would work really well. Justin has stated before that the first run of YLNT inspired MBMBaM.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Travis gleefully saying “jizzies” has a high light.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

SpacePig posted:

His response make him almost sound like he's, like, a part-owner or investor or something. I think a lot of people would like to consolidate our debt into a high interest loan with unlimited credit!

I have listened to JJGo for over ten years and have heard Jesse tell a lot of negative stories about his youth. In a nut shell, he grew up poor in a bad San Francisco neighborhood and his father was an abusive PTSD addled alcoholic for most of his youth. That’s a lot of subtext I gleaned at least. Lot’s of ‘funny’ anecdotes about getting mugged and his dad having episodes.

Interpret that how you will when you look at how he has historically dealt with money and any longtime collaborator that may pull him down.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Pennsylvanian posted:

There's a guy on Reddit who's been posting long-form friendly critiques of Graduation from the lense of an experienced DM talking to less-experienced DMs, and he had the idea of doing a Chrono Trigger-style opening sequence where the players are given a series of tasks to perform. Based on the actions of the players, the DM would then assign the players to the hero or villain schools. He outlined it a lot further, but it actually sounded more interesting and dynamic (while still being easy for a new DM to work with). The problem was that Travis definitely had the game laid out pretty rigidly and I think he didn't realize that what he had planned was going to take as long as it did.

In my day, the first session was meeting in a tavern and then killing the dire rats in the cellar of that tavern and we liked it!

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

The one time I let my players do whatever they wanted...they immediately captured a goblin with the intention of grooming it to be a ‘body servant’.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Entropic posted:

I miss Beano.

I miss Beano threatening to go insane.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
If the Brothers are finally allowing guest brothers, they better reach out to Merlin Mann. Also, everybody should listen to ‘Do By Friday’. Merlin and Alex have the best energy.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Bonaventure posted:

thanks, sounds miserable

Podcast content is hard. I haven’t done a new episode of mine in months, and I do is read unusual stories and make comments to myself. The news has been miserable and I just can’t get the inertia going to even record for 30 minutes.

Talking poo poo about embarrassing things on the internet sounds like drinking from a firehouse, especially if you and your cohost are chuds,

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

The World Inferno posted:

I've always found it kind of funny how Wikipedia probably subsidizes 99% of podcast content.

Particularly one's recanting historical events or people, you lookup the subject and it becomes pretty clear pretty quickly that was the only research done :laugh:. It's not a bad thing, and lord knows I still enjoy listening to some that do that, but it does clarify how someone can juggle weekly research projects with everything else.

Unless you're Cocaine and Rhinestones, where the fella is taking three years before seasons. Which is a very good thing and good show.

The theme of my podcast was originally to research and talk about paranormal incidents that happened in Kentucky from a skeptical perspective with my friends. Well, that took all of six months to completely exhaust. There was the Meat Shower, Edgar Cayce, the Hopkinsville Goblins and then it dries up after that. So, we moved on to other paranormal stories that we found interesting, but those dry up, too, when you're not invested in believing in them. Honestly, most any UFO, ghost, or cryptid story can he summed up and explained in about 15 minutes unless the people involved are eccentric and interesting. So, we went on to also covering true crime, which is a real passion of one of my co-hosts and we were able to coast on that for a long while. The show is mostly us being loud, vulgar people with progressive opinions and our small audience enjoyed that. Of course, COVID happened and we couldn't meet up anymore to record and my co-hosts aren't as tech savvy as I am, so no remote recording. I've been trying to put out an episode every couple months were I just read dump news stories, but between depression, my girlfriend having an alcoholic meltdown and leaving, and, well, depression, I haven't been very productive. I do a lot of technical prepping...my recording equipment and DAW are primed...but I just can't stand my own voice long enough to get at least 30 minutes of content in. I guess I have podcaster's block.

So, yeah, being a Dunning-Kruger empowered chud that can stream of consciousness with a complete lack of empathy about other people's embarrassing internet posting sounds like a real gift. I wish I could just confidently vomit mediocre yet consistent content.

Anyway. Glass shark was funny, amiright?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

grittyreboot posted:

A) I'm very sorry you're going through a tough time. Depression is a bitch.

B) What's the name of your podcast? I'm a fan of Kentucky based paranormal stuff, so this sounds like my kinda party.

C) I assume you saw Hellier? How soon did you figure out they're a bunch of idiots?

A) Thank you for your empathy.

B) The Kentucky Colonels of Truth. I really don’t recommend it.

C) As soon as I saw them. Art school ‘content creator’ Cincinnati hipsters with woo-woo beliefs going for a long weekend in eastern Kentucky? They are incredibly lucky there weren’t bludgeoned to death by meth heads for their camera equipment.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

This is completely off-topic, but as someone who also suffered through Hellier it drove me crazy when they made a huge deal out of the one dude's "Be careful out there and watch your back." Like, he wasn't warning you about a dark cabal. He just didn't want them to wander onto some dude's land and get a gun pointed at them, or stumble upon said meth heads. Also...synchronicity man :2bong:

Every town has that one common sense, altruistic redneck kid and that was him. “Ya’ll fancy people don’t follow tweakers into the woods”.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Ok Comboomer posted:

I love and hate that MaxFun is just toe-to-tip filled with hyper aggro LizLad gen-X “center left, but hip” white people (my friend called it “a network for really sassy Kamala Harris fans” last year)

Like if a “in this house, we believe....” yard sign in an upper middle class neighborhood could become a Podcast company

Your friend mispronounced “the water carriers for the left”.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Entropic posted:

I would not have thought Jean Grae would work so well as a stand-in McElroy sibling but this episode was really good and she brings great energy.

I may have fallen in love with her when she sang the “My Buddy” jingle parody.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

George H.W. oval office posted:

It sounds like they really want to get back to goofy goofs instead of the epic story from the get and I'm about it. Letting a story emerge organically like Balance did.

I desperately want them to play Magic Kitties Save the Day.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Y’all ain’t on that Posadism tip, yet? gently caress accelerationism…bring on the nukes and UFOs!

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

inferis posted:

If they are that worried about representation maybe they should have more people on their show than 4 straight white cis men?

To be fair, as a middle aged white man in the rural south, it is kind of hard to make new friends, especially ones that are outside of your limited circles. I only have the young, varied friends that I do is because I literally showed up at the lone local gaming store with candy.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

um excuse me posted:

Kill MBMBAM and focus on TAZ, hail satan.

Hail Gein!

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

grittyreboot posted:

Trav should do a guest spot on LPOTL.

Oddly enough, I think Henry and Travis would vibe.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

sexpig by night posted:

they 100% have the same energy just in very different tones

Can you imagine Travis trying to participate in one of their Gold Star serial killer episodes? Jesus…what if true crime were the missing puzzle piece to Travis?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Sankis posted:

I'm 15 minutes into the Charlieverse episode and this is incredible. The songs are... amazing.

edit: big lol at travis getting annoyed that justin wont let him circumvent the door

I have to listen to it at least one more time. I keep forgetting that small children operate on dream logic even while awake. Completely amazing.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
This jogged my memory. Right before the Covid lockdown, my gaming group started a post-apocalyptic/rebuilding game. Basically, some wizards hosed up real bad and caused the Sun to go super nova. As the surface becomes too hot for survival (and Fire Elementals start moving in), surface refugees pour into the underground kingdoms of the Dwarves. The Dwarves only have limited resources, so the job of adventurers is to scout and retake Dwarven tunnels and halls lost to monsters so that refugees could live there. Eventually, this would lead to eventual colonization of the Under Dark and conflict with the Drow and Illithids.

Man, gently caress Covid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

The 7th Guest posted:

he now looks like if justin was an 80s drug-busting cop

i mostly want to get justin and griffin's takes on it

It’s honestly not a bad look. I mean, the face he is unnecessary, but the haircut/facial hair work.