Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Graduation had absolutely no idea where it was going for 15 or so episodes, and then they kind of reset and are doing one Big Major Conflict before the end, but it's still pretty rambling. There was a pretty cool heist sequence that just wrapped up, but even that went like 5 episodes, which is literally months of real time. It's fine, but running a long campaign like this is clearly not Travis' strong suit, and I hope they move on to something else pretty quickly.

Amnesty was great. Justin's characters are always great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

taco show posted:

I somehow have been living under a rock and have never listened to any MBMBAM ever but my roommate turned me on to Adventure Zone via the first arc (six eps?) of Amnesty.

I'm starting from the beginning now, and it's kind of hilarious to listen to them do a campaign I've done but make VERY different choices than what my group made. Is it worth it to truck all the way through? This is like 300 hours of podcast episodes.

Balance is really good, it starts with them goofing and not taking it seriously, and organically turns into a really great story while maintaining the goofiness.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Undead Hippo posted:

Why does the new theme song for MBMBAM end with the lyric "It's better, it's better with 2"?

Montaigne is subtly campaigning for them to disown Travis

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

The World Inferno posted:

'dawwww.

The new McElory kids def gonna make a podcast the second they start speaking. The first podcast made by toddlers, for toddlers.

There's already the Charlie & Daddy show

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

If y'all are interested in woodworking, I've also done the course Justin did and it's great: https://theweekendwoodworker.com/

The woodworking thread in HCH is also a great resource, so check that out too.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

It's been a while since I listened to Dust, from what I remember he set up a whole whodunnit, the PCs went down a bunch of rabbit holes that ended up being red herrings, and then Travis just gave them a note that said "Bingus did it" and then they wrapped up. Obviously they had limited time to wrap it up, but you can just make poo poo up! You're running out of time and your players think it must have been Scrumbus? Ok, yup, it was Scrumbus, let's RP to figure out how that happened and how you figure it out.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

misadventurous posted:

Like, Balance ended with them getting to use the bond engine to do powerful Final Fantasy summons but they got to choose basically whatever characters they wanted from all the NPCs they met

Magnus summoned a PC from a different game! It was rad as hell.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

might wanna spoiler that

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

😭y'all want that final😭

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Oh my god they just dropped ep #420

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Ainsley McTree posted:

Feels like a slap in the face to do this just after Ron Funches was on

I assume they did that because griffin didn't want to record two episodes

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Zero One posted:

All those unsold Bean Juice mugs...

DON'T TALK TO ME UNTIL I'VE HAD MY
PODCASTS

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Riddle me piss happens at the right cadence these days

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

hollis from amnesty is a great example of nonbinary representation. they show up, the DM uses their pronouns organically, and they proceed to have a whole-rear end development arc that has nothing to do with their gender.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Colonel Whitey posted:

Hollis’ identity must have been done in an organic, subtle way because I remember literally nothing about that character

I don't think their gender ever actually came up, griffin just used they/them

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Pham Nuwen posted:

"Ron, great to have you back, everybody loved the MBMBAM ep and we're excited to have you on TAZ"

"Thanks, Justin, I haven't played D&D in years. I've been thinking I'll make a gnome illusionist and--"

"Actually, Ron, we've got a pre-genned character for you..."

(I googled "d&d human" and picked this dude, who actually loving owns... look at that armor, look at that spear; spears don't get nearly enough love in RPGs)

yeah that's the image for either "human" or "fighter" in 5e which is at least an improvement over a human fighter always being Sir Fenwick of Avonshire, King's Prestiged Knight

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Waterbed Wendy posted:

I can't listen to that rn. Did they say who is running the show this time?

They've said previously it was going to be Griffin.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

my favorite podcast, featuring brothers tyler, patrick, and andy mcelroy

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

dantheman650 posted:

I enjoyed the first episode of Ethersea well enough but I didn't really understand the goal. I keep hearing The Quiet Year being called a "game" but there don't seem to be any goals or consequences. Nothing seems to really matter.

For those of you who have played - is there a goal? Is there any success metric?

There's not really a goal or success metric to any tabletop role playing game. The goal is to have fun and tell stories, this is just a different way of doing it.

And for their purposes, it creates context, backstory, and a shared understanding of the world they're going to be playing in. I think it's got a lot of potential.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

change my name posted:

Is the work they put into worldbuilding then going to become the backdrop for their D&D campaign? I really like that approach

Yes.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

I think they ended up not having the drive last year for obvious reasons. This one may have been an attempt to make up some numbers, but is obviously ill timed. May be bad news for some shows on the network. Hopefully they save Mission to Zyxx at all costs.

No, they still had it last year, they just emphasized how much they weren't having maximum fun drive at maximum fun dot org forward slash join because of how rough things were, but if you still want to support the network you can go to maximum fun dot org forward slash join, and then they had an Actual maxfundrive in like August, except they did it for a month

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Entropic posted:

I gotta try listning to this Ethersea intro from the start again, because I feel like I retained nothing from Griffin's infodump at the beginning and I have no sense of what they're trying to actually do in this world-building minigame.

The world is ending because everyone did too much magic (it is a climate change allegory). There's a big storm coming that everyone knows is going to make life uninhabitable on the surface, but a bunch of people heard this call from the ocean in the form of a little poem that basically says "why don't you build a new life underwater?" Some folks from each of the four regions came together at this shore to figure out how they're going to build an underwater society, so now they're doing that. At the end of TQY, they ought to have a salient history of how these people built this new society. Then they'll make characters and have somewhere to jump in to. Ideally, this means that the audience is at least a little invested in the world they've created from the jump, and they've sort of created the setting organically instead of jumping in with a fantasy trope and trying to make it work.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Marsupial Ape posted:

The song has grown on me as it is a ‘bop’, as the kids say…but it’s a song about a burgeoning teenage lesbian crush and very atonal for a trio of cis-heterosexual middle-aged brothers making fart jokes.

How is it less suited than "hey good girls do you wanna just say yeah I wanna" with the most awkward rhythm transition of all time

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

The best McElroy show theme is Sawbones, that song legit slaps.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

flavor.flv posted:

I like that it's the live track, because the lead singer flubs the hell out of the line 'that exquisite macabre for the mouth' and now millions of people listen to that thirty seconds every week and have never heard the rest of the song

He doesn't flub it, the word is "esculent" and the studio version sounds almost exactly the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHyclFNBxyM&t=27s

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

"Do they have Coke products" honestly when Travis hits he hits hard

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Justin is 100% the best role player in the group, both for being true to his characters and creating good story moments because his characters do things that are not always the best mechanical option

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

General Dog posted:

Seems like a 2-hour video on the decline of the McElroy media empire would have room for at least a mention of Nick Robinson

Talking about the origin of polygon she mentions all the great creative people who worked there and "some people we won't mention"

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I thought the first work of fart was Mr Holland's Penis

That would have made way more sense!

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Wasabi the J posted:

I liked Celebrity Wine Why Not? and That's a Christmas to Me.

I was so upset that there was no That's A Christmas To Me in the Candlenights live show.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Also IIRC from reading the rules, you're not supposed to talk an awful lot in The Quiet Year, you basically just draw something on the map and say what it is. They're using it in a pretty different way, where they're playing it to flesh out a world, and they're doing it on a podcast, so it makes sense that they'd talk a lot more.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

the hat trick!

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Crosspost from Cursed Images thread:

The true curse here is that apparently cotton candy in French is "dad's beard"

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

misadventurous posted:

It will always be a shame that 20 Funny: Fill Your Life With Laughter and Love got undone by the year completely sucking rear end

Honestly in a gallows humor way it's absolutely hilarious

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Graduation is honestly best binged. I listened to a lot of it on a road trip and it made it much easier to stomach, since there's often three episodes in a row where they're planning how they're going to get ready to plan to do the thing. That gets real old when it's 2 months, it's not as bad when it's 3 hours and you're driving anyway.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I ordered a "grip it and rip it" pin to be sent to my office just before covid. I can't wait for the underwater explorers who brave both the depths of old Chicago and the no-longer-novel coronavirus to extract it from its package in 2036

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Ok Comboomer posted:

is that the flophouse pin?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3D1FmfN98I

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I haven't listened to the Besties ep, but what did Griffin say? He was just talking about how great the new Ace Attorney is on Wonderful.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Holy poo poo it's an inoffensive fun pop song that is supposed to feel like high school.

This thread, I swear to god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

eke out posted:

i wonder why they haven't committed harder to live performances or other ways to get income. as far as i've been able to tell, quite a lot of people paid for the shows they've done over pandemic

and what they haven't done is live episodes of TAZ, which I think even more people would absolutely pay ten bucks or whatever for

They did do a live ep of TAZ, another run of Honey Heist.