Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Button?
B
U
T
T
O
N
View Results

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

HONG KONG SLUMLORD posted:

Who has the oldest active account on the forums, now? Can we make them forum Grandpa/Grandma?
This is the kind of question that could have sidetracked six months of Forums development once upon a time as all resources were put towards this project (and of course the result would never be discovered)

Edit: Oops forgot to put this part in

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

I recall back in 2005(?) Lowtax was invited to a university to do a talk about running the forums and the internet in general. I think it was a pretty good talk and I watched it on youtube last year when everything went pearshaped. It has aged, of course, but I think its message is still solid as he describes how people with similar interests gravitate to each other, forming echo chambers, and what you can do as a forums owner to prevent them.

I don't know if he was a wife abuser back then. I know he was an rear end in a top hat, but he was our rear end in a top hat.
That was at the University of Illinois, and I am not necessarily ashamed of how excited I was to attend, since at the time I think even the blowup with """crazy""" Integral had not happened yet to start the red flag parade, but even though it is indeed a fairly interesting talk all things considered, oddly it is not nearly as fun to watch now. I did laugh about how I had no idea what Gaia Online was in 2005, though, reminding me that there was a time before you became aware of nearly all other popular Internet things through osmosis

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU