Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
This seems to be the place to help me figure something out. I’m a middle aged middle class straight white British man, almost the most privileged it’s possible to be, and although I do my best to have the correct views and confront and eliminate my prejudices, I sometimes need a little help.

Aren’t the difficulties and inequalities faced by trans people different from the inequalities faced by women who identify themselves as feminists? I haven’t seen this mentioned by anyone, but it seems likely, surely, that feminists are more likely to resent trans women for not having had to experience the same difficulties they did?

This doesn’t appear to fit into any of the three categories mentioned above, and it kind of confuses me, because I’d been comfortable with the idea that feminism was a good thing for pretty much my whole life, and now I’m re-examining that.

Should we just all become egalitarians and remove all the subdivisions dedicated to fighting oppression whatever its stripe, or does this sound like ‘all lives matter’ bullshit my brain is expressing wrong (because that isn’t my intent).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Straight White Shark posted:

Women, trans people, LGBTQ people, etc. all experience different forms of oppression (with some overlap) but ultimately it is all the same interconnected system of oppression (…)

But neither one is ever going to reach full equality without the other, so it's to everyone's benefit for them to mutually support each other's causes.

Ok. I understand objectively that mutually supporting each other is to the benefit of every oppressed group.

Isn’t it completely impossible and directly opposite to every experience of human nature for Group A to care equally about it’s own problems and the problems of X other groups? Does not this approach reductio ad absurdam imply that every group whose focus is the betterment of a specific segment of humanity is in fact wrong to do so, and that their insistence on so doing contributes more harm than good in the long term?