Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Post some others!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
We may call chronic masturbators tugboats but we still call a spade a spade.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
In my country a 'goon' is a 'spede'

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Fannies

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I went to the McDonalds in Shelbyville the other day. I know, I'd never heard of it either, but they have 2000 locations in this state alone. But, it's the little differences. At McDonalds, you can get a Krusty Burger with cheese, but they don't call it that.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

In Canada, they call a check a "cheque" and a garage a "garage".

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
We call ours a "car hold"

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

If someone says, "I'm gay" in Australia or the UK, it means they've come out of the cupboard.

Also elephants have boots, not trunks.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
One thing that's always bothered me is when people in other countries use the phrase "it's like comparing apples and oranges" which is an incredibly offensive racial slur where I'm from.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
In Japan they call playing cards "trump" (toranpu). No, they're not referring to a certain type of card game, just the standard 52 card deck itself. No relation to the reality TV show host/steak salesman.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Nevermind.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
In Finland they have recently Introduced fast food chains like McDonalds and Burger King. However while appreciating the spirit of rampant and vapid consumerism they haven't quite gotten the finer details.

For example, fries are instead called "potato sticks", milkshakes are "flavour milks" and the venerable Big Mac is "double beef fried sandwich".

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
In my town we call our friends Tom or Emily or Sarah or Will or Melinda and we call our enemies Jason or Greg.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
For some reason teenage boys in europe and the us need different names for this.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Jippa posted:

For some reason teenage boys in europe and the us need different names for this.

Holy poo poo, this entire time I've been assuming that when Americans talk about Axe they're talking about some brand that doesn't get exported over here, like Hershey's but for body spray.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It's silly isn't it. I don't even understand why they would have to be different.

I know they changed the "jif" to "cif" because spanish(?) people had problems pronouncing it. That makes sense.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Whybird posted:

Holy poo poo, this entire time I've been assuming that when Americans talk about Axe they're talking about some brand that doesn't get exported over here, like Hershey's but for body spray.

Pretty sure Hershey's is American body spray.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

That's interesting, but you forgot the rest of the post!
We're all waiting to hear what you apparently call Nevermind in your country...

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

E.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
in my country a bundle of sticks is known as "OP"

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

unpleasantly turgid posted:

in my country a bundle of sticks is known as "OP"

That's what they call a cigarette in my country.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
In my country we don't have a specific word for a bundle of sticks because that's for book learning queers.

I have a lot of specific words :pervert:

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
In my country "duck tape" is known as "gaffa tape".

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Mooey Cow posted:

In my country "duck tape" is known as "gaffa tape".

In my country, Jaffa cakes are known as ‘what the gently caress is a Jaffa cake’

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
rooty tooty point and shooty

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

To some people smarties are chocolate with a candy shell, to other people smarties are tart little discs that crumble into powder when you chew them

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I remember being incredulous when I visited my relatives in Canada for the first time and found out that Wall's, the ice cream brand is known as "Good Humor" over there. because lol what kind of brand name is that

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
Vanadium
Titanium
Gallium
Palladium
Zirconium
Americium

Americans:

Alumin...Um..

loving Stupid.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Butternubs posted:

Vanadium
Titanium
Gallium
Palladium
Zirconium
Americium

Americans:

Alumin...Um..

loving Stupid.

Supposedly this was some kind of dictionary error or something that stuck?

dk2m
May 6, 2009
gas station are called petrol bunks and it’s fun to say, especially in an exclamatory way

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
In the UK they call libertarians "nonces"

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Hammerite posted:

I remember being incredulous when I visited my relatives in Canada for the first time and found out that Wall's, the ice cream brand is known as "Good Humor" over there. because lol what kind of brand name is that

That's Unilever's "heart" brand of ice cream. It's what they replaced whatever local ice cream brand logo with in the 90s and 2000s when they went around buying literally every ice cream brand in the world, and now that heart can be found everywhere but with different names. They usually have a selection of common ice creams like Magnum or Cornetto, plus some local ones from the absorbed companies.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Mooey Cow posted:

That's Unilever's "heart" brand of ice cream. It's what they replaced whatever local ice cream brand logo with in the 90s and 2000s when they went around buying literally every ice cream brand in the world, and now that heart can be found everywhere but with different names. They usually have a selection of common ice creams like Magnum or Cornetto, plus some local ones from the absorbed companies.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Bula Vinaka posted:

Supposedly this was some kind of dictionary error or something that stuck?

The guy who identified it as an element was American; aluminum was the original name. Europeans decided they liked aluminium better. The original guy later decided alumium would be better but by that point the ship had sailed.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Bogus Adventure posted:

We call ours a "car hold"

The line is "Car hole" ya dweeb

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Man, for being English, the English are really bad at English.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC the name for raccoons in Chinese is 'wash bear'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
What kind of coke do you want?