Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I just watched the 2016 Rev Pro match between Chris Hero & Tomohiro Ishii & gently caress. Rules. Such a hot crowd, two great talents arguably at or near their peak, they beat the hell out of each other. Just a great sub-20 minute war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

collocation posted:

I just watched the end of Samoa Joe's ROH title reign and, even ignoring everything that has transpired with the guy in the last few years, they seriously ended the 80 year reign with loving Austin Aries? This seems really underwhelming. Did it seem so at the time?

No. Gen Next were a hot act, whoever beat Joe for the belt was taking a huge scalp & was getting a lot of cred from it. It elevated Aries, it re-established the idea that upsets can & do happen in ROH a couple years after Xavier beat Low-Ki, & most importantly for 2004/5 ROH, Aries held up the high expectations for match quality. So yeah, I think the booking made sense at the time.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

collocation posted:

My first exposure to Aries was as Austin Starr, so that could be hurting my perception a bit.

Do you think that they thought that he was a better fit than Punk or Bryan? Or was it possible that they felt that those two just didn't need the belt? It could be that I'm upgrading them in retrospect and that people didn't see as much in them yet. Aries was a better talker than Bryan at the time and a better worker than Punk, so I'm thinking that maybe he seemed like the best of both worlds to an extent. Thinking about it, I guess that there were way more fresh matches for Aries than for either of those two also.

I didn't get to see much Homicide before I started my retro watch and I'm kind of wishing that he got a run. He just seems the most real out of everyone.

It seems like operating against the constraint of having their guys constantly signed away worked for ROH for a certain amount of years. Now that they have some top guys that no one seems to want to take, it's given them consistency, but that hasn't entirely been for the best.

I dunno how much you've seen or aware of so don't want to go into it, but to go back to December 2004 mindset, Punk didn't need to be the guy to end Joe's reign, nor did Bryan. They were both already big deals in the company. Austin Aries was real good but not at that level in the crowds mind. Beating Joe for the title made him a big deal in the eyes of fans. It made real sense.

Gen Next really were over.