Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Pi day is passed, so now it's time for PIE DAY.

Your mission, should you chose to post in this thread, is to make and post a pie before 30 April 2021. Otherwise, you will pay the ULTIMATE PRICE... :10bux:.

To get you started, here's a pie I just made!

Took about an hour, and here's the recipe:

Pie Crust:
350g AP flour, I prefer unbleached.
25g sugar (2T)
6g salt (1t)
165g unsalted butter (stick and a half), cold and cut into 1/4 inch slices
95g cold vegetable shortening (half a cup), divided into four pieces.
60g cold water
60g cold vodka

Process:
Combine 200g flour, salt, and sugar. Throw in food processor, add butter and shortening. Process until it forms pea sized clumps and no loose flour is left. Scrape down sides, add remaining flour, pulse ~5 times to combine. Turn out into a medium bowl.

Sprinkle on water and vodka, mixing in with a folding motion using a rubber spatula or bench scraper, until dough sticks together. Divide into two even balls, flatten into 4" or so discs, wrap in plastic wrap and toss in the fridge for at least 45 minutes but up to a day or two. Roll out, drape lower crust over a glass pie plate and cut off any excess rim. Add filling. Cover with top crust, folding it over the bottom crust around the edges and crimping it. Cut a couple vent holes. If a sweet pie, brush the top with a little milk and sprinkle on some fine sugar. If savory, brush with egg wash.

Bake until golden brown, usually ~45m at 425. After the first 20 minutes, put foil or a pie saver over the edge crust to prevent over browning.

Filling:
I like sour cherries, so that's what I went with. Made a deep dish pie, you may need less filling if you're going with a shallow pie plate.

Quart of pitted sour cherries (frozen and thawed is best this time of year)
3/4c c sugar
2T to 4T instant Clear-Jel, depending on how much juice the cherries are putting out
1t almond extract -or- 2t amaretto

Process:
Drain cherries, reserving juice. Add almond extract or amaretto. Whisk together the clear-jel and the sugar in a bowl. Add liquid, whisking as you go to keep from clumping. Stir in cherries.

The result:

Now go bake... or DIE. :toxx:

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I just made a pie the other day with leftover pizza dough. Although I only got two pics of it. And the recipe came out of a cookbook.

Does that count?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I was just thinking about a cook or die. perfect. thank you LC.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I promised my mom on the phone that I'd bring her and my dad a pie for Easter just a few nights ago, so I might as well get the validation of internet people in addition to my parents. My dad has some gnarly dietary restrictions but I was able to drop off a cheesecake for his birthday last month and he enjoyed it, so I think if I do a meringue or something like that he should be able to dig in.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Time to pie

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I gave Mary Berry's lemon meringue pie a shot. I haven't had a slice yet since it's for my parents, but I did end up with a bunch of leftover lemon curd which was a delicious dessert on its own with a little granola and fresh berries. I have high hopes although the meringue itself struck me as very bizarre as I was whisking it.

I also discovered that "corn flour" is what corn starch is called in the UK, and not, as google foolishly tried to convince me, corn meal, which would have made, I imagine, a much less tasty curd.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Lemon curd is one of my true loves in the world of pastry.

A lemon danish is the ultimate expression of breakfast pastry imho.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

How wide is the definition of pie here? Do Cornish pasties count?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Absolutely.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I forgot to take a picture of my lemon meringue, and when I texted my mom to take a picture of it for me she informed me that they already polished it off. Just to play it safe I'll make a backup pie, possibly vegetarian frito pie because I've seen my friends in the Southwest hyping those up lately and I'm intrigued.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I tried some curry hand pies.
They did not work.

I will be making a jalapeno bacon cheeseburger pie soon.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I made this guy a little while back but I am up for another one I think. Basic blueberry.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Solid top crust design and a Pi plate, that's definitely a pie.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I'm looking at an Ottolenghi cookbook I found in a "take this" box on the sidewalk and I'm really thinking I might want to do a caramelized leek tart or this kind of oversized spanakopita type thing he has with gorgonzola.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Made pecan pie! Currently cooling on my stove, but used Stella Parks crust and the BA best filling.

I was thinking of doing a chess pie but my partner is a huuuuuge fan of pecan and may have swayed me.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Pie progress!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I had an urge for something flaky and made a sort of quasi-spanikopita-esque little pie with kale and chickpeas and a bunch of berbere. Topped with a lemon dill sauce and a little bit of valentina.

It wasn't bad but I would have, I don't know, added something a little more briny to it. Some more lemon juice, capers, something like that.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

it was delicious pie, but i forgot to take pictures of the finished pie before it was eaten.

It was a good pie.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I just saw this, and I should have looked earlier. But it's okay because I make pies frequently. Here's the ones I did for Pi Day.

Top is a Butterscotch Flan Parisienne (It's just baked pastry cream). I attempted a marbled effect, but the cream was too cold to blend pretty. The bottom small one is just an apple tart made with the excess crust (and because my 7yo walked past and asked if I was also making an apple one).

Chess pies are amazing also and have a place right next to pecan pies. Coffee chess pie is made 2-5 times a year in my house. I think I'll need to make one soon now.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I love the way that apple tart is set up. Very pretty.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

I love the way that apple tart is set up. Very pretty.

Thanks! And that was prior to glazing too. So it was shiny and turned out great. It was very pleasing for just kind of throwing one together. It was a single large Granny Smith apple.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

A slice remains

It's gone.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Smarch has nearly ended, and there are pies to be posted.

Get to it. :v:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Lets make a pie!

No, let's have made a pie for Easter and only post about it now!

Probably should have posted about it sooner if I wanted to remember what spices I used! Cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. Maybe some allspice? Sugar and flour in there too.

Yup, it's gonna be an apple pie. Used some Rubyfrost apples leftover from the previous month's Costco run and added some Granny Smiths.

So it's been a very long time since I've made an apple pie. Here's the thing, usually it's my father-in-law who makes the apple pie for family get togethers. Well, once again we are not seeing our families for Easter due to Covid, so I get to dust this out. I really like the Fanny Farmer Cookbook though I do take issue with a few of its recipes. I wish I could remember what though as it's probably been a decade since I've tried this one. I know for starters that it's apple pie recipe does not call for enough flour it usually comes out a bit damp. Trouble is is I don't know how much more to use. In the end I think I went with three extra tablespoons. Making pie crust is a chore for suckers so we've got some premade Aldi ones.

Coating our apples.

10 cups of apples? In one pie? Of this size? At this hour!? On whatever day I made this? It's way too much and I put some aside.

gently caress you pie how you like having stab holes?

Fully stabbed pie.

I made glaze. Yeah yeah settle down Gary we all know what it looks like.

Fully baked and glazed pie. I think I used about 7 cups of diced apples inside instead of the 10 the recipe wanted. To tell the truth it settled down a little flatter than I wanted it but it never felt like all 10 were going to make it. Might try with 8 next time. It was a good pie despite not remembering all of the modifications that were needed. 7.5/10.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The trick with apple pies (and other fruits that cook down) is to pile 'em high in the middle. That way as they cook down they'll spread a bit, and the center will drop to the height you actually want.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

So, as promised, I have made Cornish pasties. These are actually the reason I learned to cook; I moved from :britain: to :patriot: when I was 22 and my cooking skills stretched about as far as chopping up a sausage, frying it and combining it with a jar of Patak's curry sauce. Seriously, I remember phoning my mum shortly after I graduated and asking her what 'simmer' meant. I also liked me a Cornish pasty.

Then I moved to Michigan, and I realised that if I wanted a Cornish pasty I was going to have to learn how to make one myself. Ironically Michigan actually is the one state in the union that does have pasties thanks to Cornish immigrants in the 19th century, but those are mostly an Upper Peninsula thing whilst I was in Lansing and also cross-pollination with the Finns means they do them wrong. Proper pasties do not have carrot in. They very definitely do not have gravy on! I've even seen them be made round like a pie.

Anyway, 2002-era me found a recipe on allrecipes (even 20 years ago, internet recipe sites existed, though they didn't have the sort of whole-life-story blurb at the top of the recipe the likes of which you're reading right now oops) and made his very first pasty, which I've been doing variations on ever since.

To business, with our cast of characters:

The traditional filling is steak, potato, onion, swede (rutabaga to colonials). I didn't have a swede but I did have a bbq-marinaded steak that needed used up; I washed the seasoning off it and turned it back into basically normal steak. My wife prefers cheese and onion, so I figured I'd do a couple that way for her, and I figured I'd add non-traditional parsley just because. First we mix up the filling:

Cheese, potato, onion, parsley on the left, seasoned with salt and pepper. Steak, potato, onion, parsley on the right, seasoned with salt and pepper. Traditionally you just splash it with a little water; I've always used Worcestershire sauce but I didn't have any, so I used Henderson's relish instead which is what the barbarians north of the Wall use instead.

Next you mix up your pastry - the original recipe I used called for iirc 3 cups of flour and 4 sticks of butter. I eyeball the quantities, and I use half-butter, half-lard (manteca in your local Mexican aisle in America; in the UK lard and beef dripping are just normal blocks that sit next to the butter in the dairy section). Butter for flavour, lard for flakiness. Add a dash of salt, whizz it up in the food processor, transfer to a bowl, add maybe 3/4 cup of water, knead briefly until you get a shaggy dough, divide into 6 or 8 balls, then roll each into a circle and stuff.

Then roll over so you have a stuffed semicircle and put on a greased baking dish. You can either make them sideways (seam is flat against the dish) or upright (seam is on top). Once you've done them all, go back and wet your hands and crimp them - that is, repeatedly twist the edge to create a knotted appearance and seal the filling in. I can't really describe how to do this but you can google it. Traditionally the former is Cornwall practice, the later Devon. I opted to do side crimp for the meat and top crimp for the cheese and onion because I'm from Hampshire and don't have a dog in this fight. Then brush with something - melted butter, olive oil, or in this case an egg beaten with some milk.

Bake at 180c/350f for approximately an hour, then enjoy!

Do not enjoy with gravy I will fight u

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

MAY HAS COME. THE SMARCH IS PAST.

Those who failed to Pie shall now know my wrath.

Thank you to all those who contributed, and may you enjoy your pies in good health!

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 1, 2021

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
A belated strawberry-rhubarb cream pie, which no I did not forget about posting until I saw the ban screen, that would be silly. I am almost as bad at posting as I am at photography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

An excellent looking pie!