Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I want to see Vegeta vs Omniman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
idk I read the first couple books between 18-19 and the violence seemed relatively similar compared to other media I’d been exposed to at that time. I stopped reading a few years later so I’m excited to see where the show goes.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Do you think Battle Beast could've beaten up Nolan?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Do you think Battle Beast could've beaten up Nolan?

Semispoiler at this point, yeah, probably

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Is Mark’s school named after the dad from Family Matter?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Bust Rodd posted:

Is Mark’s school named after the dad from Family Matter?

check who plays the principal

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Casnorf posted:

check who plays the principal

It's actually better than that, because it's a reverse reference - Reginald vel Johnson was cast as the principal in the series because the school was named after him in the comics.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Just watched this, and something that I really enjoyed: the secret government SHIELD type agency that is secretly keeping superheroes under surveillance, and trying to come up with ways to kill them while being their ostensible allies is clearly 100% acting totally appropriately in doing so. Something that annoys me about like MCU movies is that whatever public agency that tries to retain some semblance of control over unaccountable Demi-gods, or develop countermeasures outside of "lets hope one of the good ones shows up" inevitably ends up being corrupt/misguided/etc. So it was refreshing to see the agents who were trying to do so be clearly included with the good guys.

Because in real life, holy poo poo yes if Superman or Thor or whoever was real, I would absolutely expect the pentagon to try and figure out a way to kill them just in case, and would consider them negligent if they hadn't considered that possibility.

Also, if monster girl ages normally when in human form, then her curse is like...not one at all really. She gets to remain young forever basically, as long as she manages to properly time out the intervals that she spends in monster form.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 21, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I'm mid-way through the last episode and I have to say Omni-man's heel turn seems off. He's such a good father to Mark and husband to Debbie. Like he came across as genuine and not someone "faking" it.

Hey that's like your opinion man, but I mean I have the opposite feelings entirely :shrug:

Fill Baptismal posted:

Just watched this, and something that I really enjoyed: the secret government SHIELD type agency that is secretly keeping superheroes under surveillance, and trying to come up with ways to kill them while being their ostensible allies is clearly 100% acting totally appropriately in doing so. Something that annoys me about like MCU movies is that whatever public agency that tries to retain some semblance of control over unaccountable Demi-gods, or develop countermeasures outside of "lets hope one of the good ones shows up" inevitably ends up being corrupt/misguided/etc. So it was refreshing to see the agents who were trying to do so be clearly included with the good guys.

Because in real life, holy poo poo yes if Superman or Thor or whoever was real, I would absolutely expect the pentagon to try and figure out a way to kill them just in case, and would consider them negligent if they hadn't considered that possibility.

Yeah that's one of those things that your typical MCU and DC comics (outside of like, Civil War) tend to stay away from, because superman is the protagonist so you're rooting for him most of the time, etc.

But its something that things like Watchmen, The Boys, Invincible (not to say they're remotely the same thing) all love to dig into. The reality of the world being that people with massive power aren't necessarily all that trustworthy. Even then ones you think are the 'good guys' who fight the 'bad guys'.

And at the same time the FBI (or whatever they're called) in Invincible aren't necessarily without issue either. They're clearly doing all kinds of crazy poo poo because they know they might need to be prepared for crazy poo poo.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 21, 2021

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kinda sucks that Sinclair got away with everything, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fill Baptismal posted:

Also, if monster girl ages normally when in human form, then her curse is like...not one at all really. She gets to remain young forever basically, as long as she manages to properly time out the intervals that she spends in monster form.

She does, but she de-ages far more rapidly in monster form than she can hope to out-age in the other direction. The price of her eternal youth would be having to stand by and watch other people suffer when she knows she has the power to stop it.

Also there's no saying that she actually becomes younger in any way other than her body maturation reversing. She could end up in a body that looks 16 but is 70, with all the infirmities that implies.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I'm mid-way through the last episode and I have to say Omni-man's heel turn seems off. He's such a good father to Mark and husband to Debbie. Like he came across as genuine and not someone "faking" it.

I just marathoned the series and agree, mostly. I was expecting something a little deeper and complicated than "Oh we're just literally doing Coneheads", and maybe thats tied up in me not "buying" the heelturn. I'm not sure I can put into words why it felt off - obviously he's a bad dude but the turn is just.... there's little hint towards the sadism, cruelty and overall demeanor he has in the last episode. In the abstract I can buy that he is stuffing down all this resentment and anger and it explodes, but it just wasn't something I bought when it came out. It didn't even really show in the first episode when he killed the Guardians.

But it's a matter of taste really at the end of the day. I'm excited to see where the series goes from here.

My only issue really with the series, which I enjoyed top to bottom is that man, Jason Mantzoukas is so loving annoying. Yes, I know thats the point of his character but it got to the point where I was praying for his character to get off the screen whenever he was around.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
That's me every single time I see or hear Jason in anything

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I don't know what the actor's deal is, but his character sure is insufferable.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I don't know what the actor's deal is, but his character sure is insufferable.

Jason Mantzoukas is always Jason Mantzoukas, even when he's playing the Big Bad Wolf or a superhero. he just has one of those voices.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ah, I getcha. I kinda feel that way about Richard Epcar, though he does have range in some roles. I wonder if he just gets typecast into a specific voice.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That’s funny because this is the only show I’ve ever liked him in

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

uber_stoat posted:

Jason Mantzoukas is always Jason Mantzoukas, even when he's playing the Big Bad Wolf or a superhero. he just has one of those voices.
It's funny, 'cause, like, Patrick Warburton is always Patrick Warburton, but you can still tell Puddy from Joe from Brock Sampson.

In literally everything Jason Mantzoukas is in, he's just Raffi from The League.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Jedit posted:

She does, but she de-ages far more rapidly in monster form than she can hope to out-age in the other direction. The price of her eternal youth would be having to stand by and watch other people suffer when she knows she has the power to stop it.

Also there's no saying that she actually becomes younger in any way other than her body maturation reversing. She could end up in a body that looks 16 but is 70, with all the infirmities that implies.

If she just didn't transform much, it'd work out great. She could age herself up to 21 and then just monster out a few times a year so she always stayed young. But it's still a curse in that she's faced with constant internal torture -- she knows using her powers is going to ruin her life, but she doesn't want to ignore people in need when her powers could save them.

Also, I think if your "body maturation" is reversing then by definition you don't have the infirmities of a 70-year-old body. This is a super scientific discussion of course, since we're talking about magical de-aging in a cartoon, but I think if you have the skin and bone density and whatnot of a 16-year-old, then you can't possibly be suffering the effects of a lifetime of wear and damage.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

It is a big deal in the comics, so I'm sure it will be addressed in later seasons. How they will address it and even approach it is entirely speculative at this point but it is important to note that Monster Girl's condition isn't just left hanging over the 120 or so issues that Invincible ran.

They're already going in an interesting direction since all the stuff that Robot does to keep her alive after Battle Cat almost kills her didn't happen in the comics

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Mike N Eich posted:

I just marathoned the series and agree, mostly. I was expecting something a little deeper and complicated than "Oh we're just literally doing Coneheads", and maybe thats tied up in me not "buying" the heelturn. I'm not sure I can put into words why it felt off - obviously he's a bad dude but the turn is just.... there's little hint towards the sadism, cruelty and overall demeanor he has in the last episode. In the abstract I can buy that he is stuffing down all this resentment and anger and it explodes, but it just wasn't something I bought when it came out. It didn't even really show in the first episode when he killed the Guardians.

But it's a matter of taste really at the end of the day. I'm excited to see where the series goes from here.

My only issue really with the series, which I enjoyed top to bottom is that man, Jason Mantzoukas is so loving annoying. Yes, I know thats the point of his character but it got to the point where I was praying for his character to get off the screen whenever he was around.

I saw it as Omniman trying to convince himself of everything he had been taught. If he was a true believer, he would have finished the mission.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
That was the whole point with Omniman, he turned evil because he is and always was a ten thousand year old space god from an evil empire of space gods. I felt like JK Simmons did a really good job with the character and making him really separate and distinct from a tender-hearted Superman type of guy. He always seemed to carry a certain weird deep pride and understated disdain for others, the part where he punches his kid off guard and actually hurts him felt like an illustration of the kind of hardass "strength is virtue" thing that the Viltrumites were into. His love for his family was never supposed to be real, but he couldn't bring himself to actually kill his kid and ended up abandoning his millenia-long mission for the sake of a wife and kid he's know for less than two decades.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah it’s not like Omniman can go home and be like “I got soft and had a human child who is weak” because they will just Karate chop him in half

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
The thing about omni-man is he doesn't turn evil, he always was. He's thousands of years old and has been practicing wearing a mask of concern and sympathy for humans for hundreds of years, so at this point in the story he's really good at it and we aren't supposed to notice that he's actually an uncaring alien conqueror. That's the whole point. Bad people don't always go around making an obviously evil laugh and spelling out their evil plans. Think of every time the neighbors of a mass murderer get interviewed and they're like "well gosh he seemed normal"

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Thats something I don't get - has he been on Earth for hundreds of years? I thought he only arrived ~20 years ago, and then met Debbie pretty early on in his tenure?

I do think he's lying to himself about his wife - I think he has a lot of true affection and admiration for her, otherwise why would he treat her as basically on the same footing as him for so long? If he regarded with her as much contempt as he says he does to Mark, he wouldn't have shrunk from her as he does several times during the series. He's not that good at acting given he flies into a rage in several other points and unleashes it on others. He however cannot reconcile that feeling with his thousands of years of contempt for lesser species and the knowledge her lifespan is several magnitudes shorter than his (and his overall mission).

It's obviously not a good relationship with his wife, given that he's lying and gaslighting her for decades, but I don't think she means nothing to him. At least in the context of the show, I have no idea about the comics.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Maybe he's only been on Earth 20 years IDK but he's definitely lived for hundreds of years before arriving on Earth. :shrug:

He was pretty clear to Mark that Debbie only means so much to him. I think he has more respect for Mark than Debbie, since Mark is part Viltrumite. As he says, they're like ants to him, they'll all be dead in less than 1% of his lifespan.

I don't think she means entirely nothing to him, but he sees her more like a beloved dog than a wife.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

It pleases me to see Zaphod42 so completely wrong about things. Like, he's totally right about some stuff but thinking that what's presented is all there is is like his entire modus operandi and it thrills me to see a fish swim and tell you it's flying.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

In the comics he literally (E: removed comics spoiler) but yeah go on about how you're the smartest and I'm wrong about everything without actually explaining anything.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Aug 22, 2021

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I like Mantzouskis’ Rex Splode.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Aug 22, 2021

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

modedit

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 28, 2021

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

I don't remember claiming to be the smartest but drat I think I got a fair case on you.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Wait, I'm sorry, I'm bein' kind of more of a jerk than I intended. Something about that smug wrongness just sets me off and I don't wanna be a butt about it.

Mark's friend had tried hard not to faint
It's not like he was a kind of saint
When Omniman asked
William was tasked
And Nolan showed hell of restraint

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Casnorf posted:

Wait, I'm sorry, I'm bein' kind of more of a jerk than I intended. Something about that smug wrongness just sets me off and I don't wanna be a butt about it.

What about my post was smug? Casnorf you're being a huge jerk, yeah, completely uncalled for.

Zaphod42 posted:

Maybe he's only been on Earth 20 years IDK but he's definitely lived for hundreds of years before arriving on Earth. :shrug:

So smug, admitting I might be wrong and shrugging. The most smug of actions!

Even if you disagree with me that he cares more for Mark than Debbie, literally nothing about my post was aggressive in any way.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

For anyone who doesn’t want comic spoilers please do not click on any of that. It’s not discussing minor differences between the comics and released episodes. It’s massive massive spoilers for the future

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

ruddiger posted:

In the comic (detailed spoilers), shut up.

E: also, I like Mantzouskis’ Rex Splode.

Casnorf posted:

You mean how shut up You know, the thing that drives almost the entire overarching plot?

Like gently caress off outta the thread with this poo poo. These are such huge spoilers for stuff that may not even happen next season

E: this one too

Zaphod42 posted:

In the comics he literally Shut up but yeah go on about how you're the smartest and I'm wrong about everything without actually explaining anything.

Stop posting huge rear end spoilers to win your dumb nerd fight

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 22, 2021

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

What else are we supposed to do while we wait for the next season? Make like an olde tymey ballplayer: "...sit by the window and wait for spring." this is a lot of words that aren't an untagged spoiler just to take up space to see who cares even a little I mean come on also Alan is rad so you can see, absolutely self-evident.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mike N Eich posted:

I do think he's lying to himself about his wife - I think he has a lot of true affection and admiration for her, otherwise why would he treat her as basically on the same footing as him for so long? If he regarded with her as much contempt as he says he does to Mark, he wouldn't have shrunk from her as he does several times during the series. He's not that good at acting given he flies into a rage in several other points and unleashes it on others. He however cannot reconcile that feeling with his thousands of years of contempt for lesser species and the knowledge her lifespan is several magnitudes shorter than his (and his overall mission).

It's obviously not a good relationship with his wife, given that he's lying and gaslighting her for decades, but I don't think she means nothing to him. At least in the context of the show, I have no idea about the comics.

He has absolutely been lying to himself about that. She tells him to gently caress off twice after making it plain she knows he killed the Guardians and he doesn't so much as attempt to yell at her, let along intimidate or enact any kind of retribution.

ruddiger posted:

also, I like Mantzouskis’ Rex Splode.

I don't have a problem with the voice. I just find the character to be a complete shithead.

He gets a bit better towards the end, but still a shithead.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 22, 2021

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Casnorf posted:

What else are we supposed to do while we wait for the next season? Make like an olde tymey ballplayer: "...sit by the window and wait for spring." this is a lot of words that aren't an untagged spoiler just to take up space to see who cares even a little I mean come on also Alan is rad so you can see, absolutely self-evident.

Hey man I don’t mind because I’ve read the whole series through more than once but I can definitely see someone clicking on that and being really chuffed about it. At this point in the story knowing that part of the plot advancement is maybe the biggest spoiler there is and I click on poo poo without thinking all the time

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

ruddiger posted:

E: also, I like Mantzouskis’ Rex Splode.

Carefully deleting the rest of this post while attempting not to read it to say: yeah. Which is to say, Rex Splode is an rear end in a top hat, generally, but Mantzouskis performed him well, especially with the grace notes where he shows a slightly better side.

(I found him just insufferable and grating on The Good Place, but that might have been more how the character was written, lol.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Rex Splode comes across less off an rear end in a top hat and more of a doofus. Not saying he gives a positive impression but he isn't as malicious as his first impression.