Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Liking the adaptation so far but I gotta say that casting jason mantzoukas as Rex splode is just the absolute worst and most distracting thing. Just a terrible decision for so many reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Nikumatic posted:

Agree, and I love Mantzoukas; his casting and the needle-drop soundtrack are just ill-fitting and grating in a way I don't think they intended.

I also like Mantzoukas generally but his voice just works better in a purely joke role and not in a main cast slot that’s probably gonna need some nuance

So distracting every time he’s onscreen

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Battle Beast is the best and I'm stoked that they got a good voice actor for him and did a good job demonstrating how completely terrifying he can be

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Might want to edit out the second thing in your second spoiler block. While the first thing is an obvious question the second thing is a complete swerve when it happens

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

sliami posted:

undoubtedly funniest review

I'm the idiot that sees these weirdo reactionaries review something and clicks on their names to see what other pathetic reviews they've left. It's usually anime and funco pops.

Anyone who's upset by the changes to Amber is totally out of their mind. She barely had a personality in the comic besides 'reacts to things mark does' and this is way better.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Yeah, there is no way they are getting to that character with the number of episodes that are left unless there is some extreme re-writing. I guess this pretty much confirms a season 2 is coming, unless the first season really underperforms.

Anybody who read the comic knows exactly the moment this season is going to end on. My biggest fear is they cliffhanger it and then it doesn’t get picked up for season 2

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Ep 6: Atom Eve can totally create money with her powers, right? Handing out stacks of cash to charities would also be a great help. She can do it between saving random hikers :v:

I feel like Amber was way too hard on Mark for "running off". Most people would run off in terror from the loving murder cyborg. I know it's supposed to be the tipping point because of all the other stuff in the relationship, but between that and her breaking up with him because she thought he got hit by a car, she really does not come off well.

This hidden outfit plotline is terrible. I can't imagine that someone like Cecil wouldn't have done analysis like the costume maker did. And it still doesn't explain why Nolan kept the loving thing. Deb has got some big loving balls though, telling Nolan off like that.

I wonder what the twins will do with Immortal's body as their insurance policy against Robot. I also wonder how they knew where it was.

On the costume I think he may be keeping it for the blood? Like I think he planted some on darkblood? Nobody’s buying that though so maybe his idea is to plant it on someone more realistic? It’s a new subplot for the show, though, and really it’s just something for Deb to do

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Applewhite posted:

Book spoilers: They're saving the (removed in quote in case someone decides to edit it out later) for the season finale aren't they? I don't remember it taking this long in the books.

Yes, clearly. They've pulled a lot of events forward and have been adding a few side stories for the characters so it lands conveniently there.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It took longer, the end of episode 1 was in issue 8. This 8 episode season is probably going to correspond to the first 12 issue super arc.

Yeah, it's mixed up from the original. The logical end for the season is going from issues 12 into 13. Mars was initially in issue 18. Getting absolutely wrecked by battle beast was 19. This latest episode was mostly 20. So yeah looks like we're looping back to it next

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Has it been shown if Cecil's teleportation is a superpower or if its just a tech thing?

I think he explicitly said that they just got it and that it costs the taxpayer millions each time they use it, so tech

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Collapsing Farts posted:

It may be a bit childish but I enjoyed the gore in this silly cartoon. Does it keep the ultraviolence going forward? That's basically what I find novel about this otherwise unremarkable animation

I don't think it's giving much away to say that the effects superhuman abilities would actually have on the people getting hit by them is a consistent theme in Invincible

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Watch the new episode y'all. Goddam, I guess these two episodes are where the animation budget went.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Episode 7 spoilers: They did a better job than I was expecting tying the threads together and putting people in the right places. This is probably the episode that was changed the most from the comic, and all the changes were good imo. The costume stuff was kinda dumb but it gave Deb a more active role in the story and having her actually in the command center instead of watching on TV was good. All the new omni-man contingency plans were also a great addition. Overall it was pretty much all I would have asked for in adapting that part of the story and I can't wait to see how they handle the next bit

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Hirsute posted:

Yeah that was pretty cool! One thing I couldn't quite make sense of, in the scene where The Immortal is being revived it shows Lincoln's assassination, it's implied that he was Lincoln and not John Wilkes Booth right?

Yep, the Immortal was Lincoln

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

MiddleOne posted:

Feel really difficult to revert to the status quo after this episode, is it wild ride-mode until the end of the season? :munch:

I think the season so far has demonstrated that the status quo in invincible never lasts very long. It’s a wild ride until the end of the series, not just the season

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

DogsInSpace! posted:

I only half remember things from the comic but not going to ask questions now. Probably will hold off until next episode but I swear I don't remember stuff that happened in this episode from the comic. Really, really good episode with a great buildup to a climax that leads to next episodes craziness. Can't wait.

You're not wrong. Pretty much everything omni-man adjacent in this episode did not happen in the comics

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

I'm just happy we somehow dodged the bullet of 2 Jason Mantzoukases, one trying to do a preteen voice. That would have been a loving nightmare

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Since a bunch of people here never read the comic and next week is the last episode of the season, I wanted to mention that up through issue 53 is currently free on comixology unlimited (linked to amazon) and the rest of the series is discounted because of the show.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

- speaking of which, this show is BRUTAL. i was expecting some heightened level of violence, but it significantly more vicious than i thought it'd be. and i hear the comics are somehow even worse :monocle:

The show is actually probably more violent than the comic so far

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Phenotype posted:

Maybe it's like the Lazarus pit and you go insane for a while after you come back. He seemed to go from asleep to 100% turbo ragemode Lincoln in no time at all.

I think it's more that from the Immortal's perspective, he just got his head chopped off by omni-man seconds ago. For him it was just one continuous fight

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Aces High posted:

Also this is on a different track but Nolan is quite different in the comics, he is a lot more even-tempered and very much the typical dad in the comics and even when he is demolishing the Guardians he doesn't seem to carry any menace. It is quite the change and since I've read past where the finale is likely going to go tonight I am now really excited to see how the events are going to go down just on account of how different the two Nolans are. Exciting stuff!

As someone earlier noted, the comic goes straight from the guardians being suddenly murdered, to their funeral, to the current situation. The guardians getting murdered basically came out of nowhere, and since it almost immediately escalated to this climax there wasn't much time for Nolan to be menacing or for much 'what are his real motives??' theorizing.

I think the way the show has handled it is almost entirely for the better, besides maybe the addition of the costume stuff. It was probably also necessary to have the guardians killed in the first episode to hook people in. If this show went 6 episodes before that swerve then I'm guessing many people wouldn't have stuck around that long.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Finale going live in like 5 minutes for anyone who plans to watch it immediately or for people who want to avoid spoilers before watching it later

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Without getting too spoilery yet, the first half of that was a really good adaptation of that issue, but with the implied violence becoming explicit violence and cranked to 11.

The second half felt more like an ad for the second season to the studio, but that's ok. I'm just glad that with at least two more seasons we'll definitely get some of the story beats I really want to see animated.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Flesnolk posted:

Anyone else getting random German subtitles, even when subtitles are turned off?

Yes, but only in the seizure warning

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, It seems almost crazy to me how much everybody including Cecil is like "back to work as usual". The fact that Nolan has been gone two weeks is super super lucky, but there should be red alarms going off non-stop. The military should be prepping every nuke we have. All super-heroes should be uniting in the face of oblivion right now. Either Nolan or SEVERAL other viltrumites could show up literally any second and just entirely destroy all human life. They don't have time to relax. It seems way way way too easy that Nolan would just leave. I can't believe they're not panicking more.

What more could earth really do to prepare? Cecil is trying to recruit invincible and they’re building a poo poo ton of reanimen. So far Cecil knows that Nolan had a long time left to complete his mission and abandoned his post at least temporarily so who knows what viltrum is even aware of or when they could be coming to check on him. I mean it was pretty clear Nolan could have done the job on his own right then if he wanted to. He didn’t need backup

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Apr 30, 2021

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

JT Smiley posted:

I finally finished the last 50 issues of the comic after a five year hiatus. Now I'm curious where the show even goes cause the comic is dense as gently caress and there's just so much that it would probably take 20 seasons to cover everything.

I think with the current level of time shifting and compression we're looking at more like 6-7 seasons if they really do the whole series. Like the whole Reanimen arc was compressed from a mostly background arc with a couple dedicated issues to just a one and done episode. If you look through the series there are probably around 6-7 moments where you go 'oh yeah, this is gonna be a season finale' and everything else will get reshuffled around them

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Ccs posted:

I’m seeing complaints on twitter that Mark and Debbie didn’t have arcs this season and I’m like

Edit: Oh interesting the guy saying the characters don’t have arcs was the art director on Invincible. He seems totally disgusted with the show and says the next 2 seasons don’t even have a crew.

https://mobile.twitter.com/axl99/status/1388329620571779074

https://mobile.twitter.com/axl99/status/1388322237623590913

I’m not sure what show this person was watching and what comic they were reading. Deb and Amber were given so so much more than in the comics. I can understand the complaints about Amber, teen relationships and secret identity bullshit are both inherently annoying so what can you do. But Deb was given so much more to work with in the adaptation and came out looking good

If you’re not on board then good riddance I guess?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

QuoProQuid posted:

Man, that was such a brutal hour of television. Even putting aside the violence, the emotional fallout of Omni-Man's actions was hard to watch.

I have mixed feelings about this getting expanded to another two seasons. While, on one hand, I'm interested in where the characters go, I think that the season ended on such a strong note and am worried that the show will deteriorate if it goes in the direction I hear the comics went.

gently caress the haters. The comic is good throughout. The complaints on the later issues are mostly that the violence gets more explicit (the show's already at that level though) and a specific plot point that could (and probably should be) excised from the show, without effecting anything else. Also the 'decline' happens waaay later than where we're at now

Rest assured we are not at the peak yet and there are moments in where the next two seasons are likely to go that are definitely worth it.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Until the casting I always assumed deb was Hispanic and I’ve read the whole comic more than once. That’s how little it comes up or matters

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Flesnolk posted:

Also, didn’t the original Mauler die, and now they’re all clones?

There has been no indication of that

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Ragnar34 posted:

My impression was that he makes a new clone every time one dies so that there's always two Maulers. How many times has he gone through this process? 20? 30? The odds of one of them still being the original are pretty low at this point.

Yeah it definitely has happened by probability but it hasn’t been demonstrated to happen

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Monaghan posted:

I read the comic years ago and liked most of it. I watched the show and I don't know if this is the appropriate place to post this as I don't see any other threads on it but:

COMIC SPOILERS
removed in quote

The difference between the comic and the show in that scene was all in how explicitly depicted Omin-man's murder spree was. He absolutely killed just as many people and had just as much disregard for human life in the comic. Here are the relevant pages (not spoilering since it already happened in the show):

Also, gonna strongly suggest that people DO NOT click on the original spoiler unless you've already read the whole comic as it's extra spoilery

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

golden bubble posted:

Fans have accepted bigger turns. Look at Vegeta from Dragonball.

This is why season 2 is gonna be Mark and Eve's search for the Savage Dragonballs in order to bring back everyone Nolan killed

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

JT Smiley posted:

The only change that's bothered me is seeing Mark get bodied by his dad loses some impact when we've seen him get hosed up over and over in these 8 episodes. I don't remember Mark taking any serious damage in the comic until he took on his dad, which made the whole ordeal even more hosed up.

Yeah i think that panel I posted on the last page where Mark gets a nosebleed from Nolan's punch is the first time we ever see him even slightly damaged.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Spacebump posted:

I know they did some of the show out of order with the comics but can anyone tell me how many issues of the comic were covered one way or another in season 1? (if this it considered too spoilery for the thread, disregard this post)

The farthest thing forward so far was issue 37, which was DA Sinclair's Reanimen operation finally being taken down, but there's a ton of stuff in the post-12 and pre-37 story that hasn't been covered yet, including a couple major things that may not even make it into season 2 based on how I would plot it out. If I had to guess I'd say we've covered about 20 issues worth of content so far, and again if I had to guess I'd say there's a total of about 6-8 seasons of content in the full comics run if they did the whole thing. I'm judging more by 'this should be a season finale' moments more than 'they have to cover everything' because they probably shouldn't cover everything.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Linking to another thread cause its extra spoilery, but this is what I guessed season 2-3 will land on
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3574760&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=738#post514379361

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

If you're looking for long contained comic runs that have pretty consistent art/direction and they don't necessarily need to be superheroes then Y: The Last Man and Fables are options. There are plenty of others but I just saw those yesterday when scrolling comixology and remembered enjoying them, so they're fresh on my mind. I'd probably need to dig out my old external drive to give many other recommendations but there's always BSS for that too

E: I liked the ultimate line when it came out but maaaaan I find that to be a hard sell these days knowing how it evolved

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 7, 2021

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

I don't have a problem with political narratives, but for those of you who get frustrated with Libertarians I'd recommend not reading Fables.

Fables isn’t that objectionable in my opinion outside of the four or so pages (like 2/3 of the way through the series) where the author’s favorite character rants about how much he loves Israel

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

He's had powers/been a hero for less then year at most by the end of the season. Mark survived a beating from the most powerful being the planet has known. You know, the being that torn apart the world's most powerful hero team in minutes?

It's not about rationalization. Mark's not a hero that wins the day through pure might. We take him seriously has a protagonist because he's struggling to figure himself out, but wants to do good.

The only one I found a bit disappointing was Mark getting somewhat resoundly wrecked by Machinehead's cronies.

There is absolutely no shame in getting bodied by battle beast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

Debbie was white in the comics, and then they made them both Asian/half-Asian-Viltrumite for this.

Deb isn’t any more or less Asian than she is in the comic, outside of the voice actor being Korean. I mean I guess she is but it’s still ambiguous unless you look at the cast list. It just isn’t a thing that gets mentioned in the comic and unless they eventually decide to make a point of it probably won’t come up in the show