Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Tiggum posted:

Not really, no. I've heard of it, obviously, but I've never seen it and I don't know what it's about.

That seems pretty weird to me. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see it getting any rating but MA15+ on Australian TV. :shrug:

I'm genuinely confused as to why you think teens wouldn't be into a hyper-gory animated show about a teenage superhero coming into his powers in a violent universe. Like, I don't understand why you think teen sitcom angst, violence, and animation don't go together unless you just haven't been watching any animation at all since you watched Saturday morning cartoons as a kid. It clearly seems aimed at the older teen to mid-thirties nerd demo that's so in fashion these days, so your confusion is very curious. Cartoons haven't been just for children since, well, ever.

And lol at anyone at Amazon giving any shits about ratings for an amazon exclusive animated show that's not aimed at young children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Tiggum posted:

It has literally nothing to do with it being animated. I'm well aware that there are cartoons that aren't aimed at children. I've watched many of them. As I said before, it's the writing that I'm talking about. It doesn't seem, to me, like it's written for adults. The characters and themes seem designed to appeal to kids (tweens and younger teens), while the violence is likely to get it rated as inappropriate for that age group.

I think you're just looking at it from a ratings perspective. Ratings don't matter at all for a streaming service, so if your young teen audience likes it, why not? And it's written for both adults and teens, dunno why you think teen angst/coming of age is only for tweens and younger teens. This is definitely for both teens and adults, despite your thoughts on ratings that have no bearing on the show anyway.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I thought Omniman was just a villain and we'd get to reveal or twist at some point, but all this speculation in the thread plus the latest episode has me thinking maybe Omniman is playing everything straight but he volunteered because he was just a reject or something and now that Mark has powers, he's doing his version of making Mark strong by throwing him face first into adversity, and part of that was just taking out the strongest heroes other than himself so that Mark has to save the world more often.

So a mashup of a few theories floating around. Unfortunately, I have to stop speculating because my friend just dropped off the entire comic run but I'll definitely be following along with the thread.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Ccs posted:

Invincible is basically trying to do its own take on every single superhero storyline ever. Sometimes they converge, and a few take precedence as the main arc of the entire series, but it's also sort of Kirkman getting the chance to show how he would write basically every situation we've seen in comics before with his characters.

This kind of "im going to give you the definitive take on every aspect of superheros" is embedded in the comic's braggadocious tagline "The Best Superhero Comic in the Universe."

As someone who got started with the show and has now read the comics, I agree with this synopsis. I initially thought this was some modern satire or something but it's not, not really.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Good Citizen posted:

Savage Dragonballs

I died