Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Watched the first two episodes tonight. This was my favorite comic in high school and college, and right now is perfectly itching my nostalgia button. Story is close to the comics but doesn’t seem likes it’s worried about stepping away and choosing its own beats here and there. Great voice acting, and I’m excited with how many characters they’re introducing, and knowing in my head where they might be in a season or two. Designs from the comics look great onscreen, and the animation is better than it looked in the trailer. Some really fluid sequences. I’m impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Tiggum posted:

I don't think I get this show. It's like a children's cartoon but completely inappropriate for children. I thought it was a children's cartoon until the justice league got murdered. So then I thought, OK, that start was just to lull us into complacency; the real show is going to start now. But no. The next episode we're right back to being a standard kids show - but with way too much violence. Who is this for?

You’re describing the comic (and the show), Invincible. It is very sincere superheroic storytelling, with kind-hearted and funny characters, that also does not back away from violence and gore. They exist hand in hand here.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Tiggum posted:

Yes. That is what I was doing. Explicitly. :shrug:

And I’m saying you’re not missing the point of the show. That’s what they’re going for.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Tiggum posted:

I clearly am though, because I don't know why they would do that - or who would want them to? Is it for people who feel embarrassed to watch kids' cartoons so they made one that kids can't watch?

Now it feels like you’re equating cartoons with kids. Animation is a medium to tell a story, any story. It doesn’t have to be any “one” way.

And clearly a big theme of the show, three episodes in, is the difference between what Mark thinks being a hero will entail and what it’s like in reality . That disparity is the point.

But also hey it’s okay to not like something. The show is telling you what it’s going to be like and it’s cool if that’s not your bag!

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Tiggum posted:

It's got nothing to do with it being animated. It's just written like it's for kids. All the school bully, awkward first date, parents trying to relate to their adolescent son (from the perspective of the son), stuff. If you cut the violence you could put it on after school and it would fit right in with Degrassi and Daria (or whatever the modern equivalents are).

Again, the dichotomy is the point

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Sonderval posted:

Who the hell pronounces it "Sea-cil" its "Ses-il".

Tons of people pronounce it the first way hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Sonderval posted:

Must be an American thing then I guess?

Yeah that’s the difference