Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Robot is perfect.

Probably not long for that world. After all, he is only a robot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
How long did it take them to get to mars? A day?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Who was in the jar?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Because he doesn't want Nolan to know the mud people are on to him. It would be very suspicious.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I just started the comic and...does the artist ever figure out how to draw noses?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

zoux posted:

Yeah, really the only oof thing is that they describe things as "gay", but that was extremely common in that era. For the show they just made William gay, problem solved.

Nah. William is just in the closet (or just being in denial) for much of the comics and that is a running joke. He does eventually come out.

They just started with him being super ok being gay in the show, as that is the times we live in.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Argue posted:

There is no such running joke; the running joke was that everyone who can't fly keeps asking a flying hero to take them flying and each time one does it's drawn with the exact same shot with one or both of them saying "this is really gay".

No, they only say that twice and only with william. Everybody else complains that being flown held under their arms is uncomfortable.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The comic is what, 80% relationship drama though. I've not finished it yet but it's sort of getting a bit boring. Lol at eve becoming thicc

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Is there a comic spoiler thread to discuss the comic without spoiling people who have not read them (I would recommend them highly).

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Incredibly bad compared to what though?

Final Space? Also featuring the voice talent of one SY. It's good.
The Plague Dogs.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I think the general gist of the comic/show is that you have a happier life not being a dick.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
A spoiler thread to discuss deviations and other events would be handy but where do we put it? Here or BSS.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Affi posted:

Those were all weak rear end viltrumites and deserved to be purged.

See this doesn't make any sense, what do they do with their children?

I just figured out the answer to this....

Is there a spoiler thread yet?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
It becomes a fairly large plot point.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

And Tyler Too! posted:

imo if Monster Girl wanted to get re-aged to her mid-20's she ought to go chill in the Flaxxan dimension.

:thunk:

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

eves dad is annoying

He's a bellend.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The thing that is glossed over is: What is in it for the alt-Angstroms?

Also the only alt we understand has probably got severe ptsd, and the others are unlikely to be much better, as bad mark is the standard. Angstrom's plan, even if it had not been interrupted, was flawed from the start.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
With 1000 alternate versions of himself? An allusion to his narcissism perhaps. It would feel like hell itself to me.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Next week is the last ep for 6 months?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
It does get explained. Probably at the end of this or the next block.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

It's explained in the comics so I assume it will be covered in the show.

It's central to the entire plot, I don't see how they can avoid it.

Collateral fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 17, 2023

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
It's literally never explained. Slave labour? To do what exactly? Resources? They don't need it. A pat on the head maybe? Like "oh! well done."

I just assumed it was because they have nothing better to do with their time, other than beat people up.

A wise planet would take one look at the carnage wrought on others and say "sure guys, we will wave your flag, you're the boss, what's the plan?"

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
You mean the anti aging wristbands that are a large plot point in season 1 of the animated TV show Invincible? :mad: how dare he spoil me on this.

Collateral fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 22, 2023

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Oh I see, my mistake. Burn the witch then.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Unless....he reversed the polarity and inverted the chromiton* flow....he is a clever tyke.

*autocorrect wanted to change this to cruton, which I feel is rather apt, and crunchy.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
They are doing Invincible 2.0: newer and better.

The atlanrean comic was superfluous to the main plot, and condensing it into a punchman vignette was the right thing to do.

Due to the time limited nature of tv a ton of small colour details will get dropped. The comic was 144 issues long.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Even if she doesn't, just the fact she sees herself dying over and over should have turned her into a demented wreck. More so than the immortal.

Even years after playing through Soma, I still think about it everytime there is a similar situation in media. The coin toss.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
He practically useless alive and well.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
What is the release plan here? 4 episode seasons twice a year, autumn/spring? I know they ordered 16 episodes after s1 was a hit, so they have 12 more episodes left in this block. That gives the animators/voice actors (I assume getting the voice actors to do 16 episodes once is easier to schedule that 8 episodes twice, same for the animators I guess) 2 years to produce the next block. It also maintains momentum. Has amazon said anything about it?

The voice cast is great and the animation so far has been a step up on the first season.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I think kirkman tried to stuff every trope he could into the comics. Demons (Hellboy) being one.

They even advertised it as such.

I'm really glad they have downplayed the "great man" tendancy, it plagued every plot line.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Scifi mating descriptions really need put in the literary bin. Looking at you mister Niven. All it proves is that your average scifi author is a weirdo.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Niven proved he was a weirdo even without the mating stuff. I'm baffled that the Ringworld series is seen as a classic sci-fi series.

The first one is a classic, take it on its own. The ones with the rish stuff were just comfortably bad.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I meant uncomfortably. His scummy kinks on page.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The thinking is: We would prefer our scary indestructible guardian not to be a socially maladjusted misanthrope. Which is a coin flip for both home schooling and normal school, but forcing homeschooling on a kid that doesn't want it isn't a good starting point. It's a trope for a good reason, telling a child what is best for them only really works* once they already to listen, usually after they experience why. It's good narrative.

*or if they have belief and devotion to the person telling them, but that isn't how most teenagers are built.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The coffee :lol:

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Nuebot posted:

My biggest criticism of the show is that they dropped my favorite reoccurring gag:

:allears:

Famouslastwords.txt

The Donald and Rick scenes were great.

I half expected Anissa to do the problematic thing when there was a fade. Maybe they will cut it?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Cecil mentioned bone and muscle density, which must increase as a Viltrumite ages or recovers from a beating. I think Cecil's "workout" is going to involve industrial presses and mechanical stompers.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The same reason humans use cars, I would assume.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I think the line, in the comics anyway, is catastrophic damage to the brain or heart. Everything else will heal on its own eventually. Still, as mentioned, it is down to whatever the plot requires. The heart damage thing came as a surprise to me as it is revealed right at the end of the run that all the healing comes from the heart. That's why viltrumites have a thing for chest bursting punches. Lucien took a spike to the belly and is fine, Vidor got his head mushed and is definitely not fine.

The viltrum that exists now makes no rational sense. I do wonder how long the show will take to get to the why of it. The Great Thing That Happens had me thinking: What? What?!? Why?? I almost gave up on it. It wasn't the worst arsepull in the run, but it's a contender. Time-skip boyfriend is #1, for me, and I very much doubt that he will be in the show. It undermines everything about a main character, for what? I really don't know. They have covered those themes already in the show.

I've left that spoiler vague. Comic readers will know.

Collateral fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 3, 2024

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Sure, but posters, myself included, find black boxes irresistible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

Did Mark spend this long moping around about smooshing Angstrom in the comics?

I've started rereading the comics, and:

It goes on and on and on and on. Though there are also lots of teenage rages against people too.