Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
So far this show is pretty cute, and makes me wish JK Simmons did the voice of All-Might

Ccs posted:

My reason for peacing out on Invincible was super petty. I hated how they bolded certain words so the reader couldn't put their own emphasis on what they wanted to in the sentence while reading. After a certain point I found it so aggravating that I couldn't be bothered to read another issue.

That's a pet peeve of mine in comics in general. It feels like most DC and Marvel do the thing where every other word gets bolded.

I had a thing where I'd annoy my friends by reading from a comic book and putting emphasis on every bolded word as I read them. It doesn't flow at ALL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Oh poo poo that ending (ep 1)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

3 episodes in and I'm liking this way more than I figured I would.

It being animated, it seems they're even more willing to depict random civilians being brutally killed than "adult" superhero takes like Watchmen or Boys. People go splat a LOT but I like the tone.

Overall I get major One Punch Man vibes from this, like a western OPM with some Boys thrown in.

And I knew this had big production values and some big names but the cast still keeps impressing me. Clancy Brown as Demon Detective is amazing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I did not read the comics, but I'll put this in spoilers because I don't know I felt the show made this pretty obvious but, re: omni-man's motivations: isn't it pretty on-the-nose and even explicit that HE IS the Alien invader who is taking over the earth? everything he describes to his son is basically just imperialist apologia. .

Idk, especially the delivery of Earth is not YOURs to conquer made it feel like it wasn't supposed to be too mysterious. I think.

Definitely.

This is all speculation, I haven't read the comics, and only involves what we've seen up to episode 4 so I don't think I need spoilers?

The question though is just exactly how its going to go down. Are ALL Viltrumites like this? (Probably!) Is he just controlling and wants to be the sole protector on Earth? Is he trying to prevent Earth from becoming more powerful than Viltrumite? Or is he straight up Zod and he's planning on blowing up the Earth to help Viltrumite in some way? (remake it, gather resources, whatever) What's his endgame?

The conversation he had with his son, about how all his plans changed when he met his wife and had his son, (ostensibly nothing suspicious) I wonder if that wasn't hinting at something more. Like maybe Omni-man was sent here to destroy or conquer Earth, and he's already reached the point where he should have done so. However, having fallen in love and having had a son, he now feels conflicted? He can't straight up destroy Earth without pissing off his wife, but he also can't allow Earth to grow any more or else Viltrumite may notice that he failed to do his job and send another to come check up on him or something?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Youtube served up the, uh, fight from episode 1 in my recommendations. What is with Amazon's TV division and evil superman analogs? Is this just another show about how yo, putting your faith in hyperpowerful individual people is probably not a good idea with MAXIMUM GORE like The Boys?

If you want to understand the show you should watch the whole episode, watching something from the end of a build-up out of context tends to give you the wrong impression :v:

It is like The Boys in that its about superheroes and the consequences of them actually existing, but no its not really like The Boys in plot and you should give it a chance or otherwise just move on who cares.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Good Citizen posted:

I also like Mantzoukas generally but his voice just works better in a purely joke role and not in a main cast slot that’s probably gonna need some nuance

So distracting every time he’s onscreen

I dunno so far Rex Splode has been purely played up as a living joke.

But its a very repetitive one so I'm sick of him too.

On the other end most casting is great. Robot is perfect.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Apr 5, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Ep 5:
Not really loving the Marc keeping secrets from Amber subplot, but hopefully it's done with after the ending.

Good twist with Titan at the end. Nolan is never going to let Marc forget he was right.

Yeah I agree The Marc keeping secrets and not explaining where he is to Amber got real old real fast, hopefully we can move past that now.

I keep wondering why Robot keeps loving jackass Rex Splode around, although now seeing him working with a 'villain' shows he's got plans.

I thought the twist at the end with Titan was lame though. His wife was so concerned about "are we out?" and she just silently accepts that "no actually instead of leaving crime I'm the boss now" that seems too easy, but whatever. Also seems lame to make the point about how superheroes are caught up with fame and glory and ignore real problems that real people have, and to have a black man ask him to help poor people only to end up being a super-criminal feels a little twisted.

Oh, also this is a nitpick but they made a big deal when Invincible was learning superhero stuff that he has to hold his breath in space. Then here we are like 2 episodes later and... he's out of breath... in space... and also talking to his dad... in space... and they're both breathing. Hrm.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 9, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Man Omni-man probably watches the whole thing, knowing he could have stopped it, but didn't because street level crime is beneath him.

I kept expecting this to come into play but If Omni-man saw his son get beaten he'd vaporize everybody in the room instantly, so no he couldn't have been watching

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Probably works into his mindset to teach Mark a lesson. And if he dies oh well :shrug:. Or maybe he knows that Mark wouldn't die because he's half viltrumite.

And he was almost certainly watching. There was the shot of him hovering nearby watching the penthouse and then Mark catches a glimpse of him before he passes out.

Ah... yeah you're probably right. I guess he was just confident enough that he wouldn't die. I figured the shot of Omni-man with Mark was either him imagining what he wanted, or Omni-man showing up only after the government and Atom Eve got called, and flew over to check himself. But now that you're making me think about it, you're probably right. It was really him and he was watching the whole time, and when mark saw him he super-sped away. But he really wanted to teach him a lesson. Dang man.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kicked Throat posted:

I'm not a science man but if the asteroid started burning up were they truly in 'space' or the upper reaches of earth's atmosphere?

I thought about it but didn't say it, but if they were *that* high up in the atmosphere you wouldn't really be able to breathe there either, there's like 0% oxygen and the air is super thin. I guess maybe with superpowers you can, psh.

Doom2020! posted:

To avoid spoiler talk in the non spoiler thread for at least a while - good episode.

Well, there's two kinds of spoilers. Most of the spoil tagged posts ITT are spoilers for the currently airing episode, which some people watch as early as like mid Thursday but others watch on Friday or whatever, so we use spoiler tags out of convenience.

The "spoiler free" of the thread refers to no comic spoilers. I ain't read poo poo.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Maybe I missed something but why would Nolan keep his old bloodied costume around? If it's some sort of trophy or memento from killing the Guardians, then he wouldn't keep it hidden(badly) in a trash bag. Should've just tossed it into the sun. Not like he doesn't have a spare undamaged costume. Maybe it will get addressed later but that kinda stood out to me.

Yeah fair question. I was gonna say maybe its indestructible, but then yeah why not just throw it at the sun. Maybe he thought the government would detect it in space or something?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 9, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Doom2020! posted:

What is your guys take on Omniman himself. Is he a good guy, albeit ruthless? Was he mind controlled or what were his motivations?

Seems awful clear by now he wasn't being mind controlled and is some manner of not a good guy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

He killed the Avengers. How is he not a villain?

I mean, part of the point of this show is deconstructing simple "good guy bad guy" narratives, see: last episode.

But beyond that, unless you're Omni-man, he's a bad guy. Even his wife is starting to turn on him. Its only a matter of time at this point before we have a "Mark realizes his dad is a dick" episode.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

It bothers me his name is Grayson. Just makes me think of Robin. I guess its intentional?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Just starting this episode but I was not expecting Justin Roiland. He was cast right for the character but you still can't help but hear the Rick-Morty voice the whole time.

Omni-man saying "I knew you'd pull through" without any concern about Mark makes me think we were right on the money with our discussion last week

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Another ep6 thing: There was not enough follow up from ep5. Mark(does he even know they took down Machinehead? I can't remember if he passed out before or after that) didn't go check up with Titan. Nolan didn't give Mark some "I told you so" speech. Hell, even Deb just let Mark go on a roadtrip a week after he almost died. I guess the last one is more of a minor nitpick, but you would think she would still be a bit more concerned but I guess he heals quickly so :shrug:

I don't think I liked this episode much at all.

Yeah I agree, lots of the same feelings.

Stairmaster posted:

I think william comes off way worse in this episode honestly. his best friend's relationship is about to fall apart and he doesn't even care.

All of the characters come off as some amount of self-absorbed and lovely this episode, although all of them being highschool teenagers that's not exactly wrong. It can be frustrating to watch though.

The ending for William's boyfriend guy being made into a robot and being lobotomized is pretty hardcore :smith: I was really hoping he's going to end up being a robocop style hero in the long run. Cecil pointing out how strong they were may have been a nod to that being possible in the future. Although it also sounded sinister like maybe instead of locking up the bad guy in prison, Cecil is going to employ him making super-soldier armor or something.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Affi posted:

I think we should avoid talking about comic spoilers at all itt. Even in spoilers.

Yeah I agree, and its in the OP.

Also mixing spoilers between just-aired episodes and comics is a recipe for accidental serious spoilers. (although good job to those who have so far at least been clear about "book spoiler" on their tags, thanks)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Doom2020! posted:

Making sure I didn't miss it but did Omniman kill Mark Hamill's costume maker? I didn't see it so I'm guessing no. I wonder how cold ShowOmniman will be and if he is conflicted at all with what he has done. I hope Nolan doesn't hurt the missus as she doesn't seem to be just meekly accepting Omni's taking the piss.

I don't think so. I think he was confident enough that his threats would keep him from saying anything or stirring anything up. But I could totally see that happening and if we found out that it happened off-screen at the next episode, I wouldn't be completely surprised.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Why exactly is Robot so close with Monster Girl again? Both characters feeling 'misunderstood' and 'outsiders' feels like a stretch in a universe full of aliens, cyborgs and super beings. Because it was really contrasted with Black Sampson.

Why didn't Cecil tell Omniman he sent Darkblood back to hell? I would figure that would be reassuring and Cecil could play that to his advantage if he knew nobody was investigating him anymore. Acting like they still have him around is going to make Omniman suspicious and try harder to cover his tracks in the whole thing.

Holy poo poo the ovaries on Debbie there. But I guess knowing full well what Omniman is capable of kind of puts you past fear, because what could you do?

Cecil knows Darkblood was investigating Omniman for the murder of the Guardians. He knows it and he sent Darkblood back to hell in order to keep him off Omni-man's trail. As a result, he can't say "hey I sent Darkblood back to hell" or Omni-man will go "uh, why now all of a sudden?" and it'll make him suspicious.

Even if Cecil says "don't worry buddy I would never doubt you, that demon was crazy!" it still might make Omniman worry that Cecil could later put 2 and 2 together.

Cecil is willing to sacrifice Darkblood just to keep Omni-man from so much as an inkling that Cecil may be on to him. Cecil is straight up terrified of Omniman, as he should be. He'd rather Omniman think he was never under investigation rather than say that Darkblood was looking into it and then Cecil decided to send him away because he was wrong? Omni would be suspicious that Cecil would look into things more.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Affi posted:

I would say its just weak writing that Nolan killed the guardians in the way he did and that he ever thought he wouldn't be the prime suspect.

I mean it's possible that Nolan figures they probably know or suspect but that they rightly are too terrified to do anything about it.

I also have to suspend my disbelief that Nolan actually kept his costume all bloody and torn up for like months in a plastic bag and just didn't throw it into the sun.

That's fine. It's still a good series that I really dig.

TBF, part of his character is his massive arrogance. He believes he is a literal ubermensch, so he underestimates the humans around him. I can believe it as a weakness of ego that he thought he'd be able to easily get away with it and then things didn't quite go as he planned.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Wait, Omniman isn't a member of the Super Earth Friends? (or whatever they're called)

I assumed he was, because he's there helping them out at the start, and his wife and the Flash's wife seem to be doing that military wives club thing.

Nah, Cecil wanted him for the super friends but Omniman always turned him down. He works alone (wonder why lol).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hooooooooooly poo poo that was some good television! Holy poo poo. Great episode.

Robot may be my favorite character now. I love that they went full SOMA and he had to kill off his former self. That's so awesome. Mark telling the girl but still getting dumped is a good end to that plot arc, better than if she just suddenly threw herself at him. That end encounter was super well done and had me on the edge of my seat for a whole while. The cliffhanger ending is killing me though. Need next episode NOW!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Omniman let himself get beaten up by the members of Global Whatever because he needed to be injured to create the narrative that they were all attacked by someone else.

I don't doubt he could have killed them all without effort. Hell, he probably wasn't even that badly hurt.

Maybe he spent his entire time in hospital just pretending to be unconscious.

I disagree. We see in the latest episode It took him effort just to defeat the cyborgs that fought with Mark previously.

It wasn't that he could defeat them without effort; its that he knew they couldn't kill him. They seem to have a Saiyan level ability to only get stronger when beaten and are practically invincible. That's how he's so confident Mark can be put in danger, and the same applies to himself.

I think if he could have just made them all evaporate he would have done so, getting hurt and leaving clues wasn't quite according to plan, (Debbie finding out definitely isn't according to plan) but the guardians were a reasonable challenge for him to fight all at once. One on one he'd definitely have them all, but as a group it becomes tougher.

I think he was legit hurt, but knew he couldn't die and was confident he'd beat them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

NutritiousSnack posted:

I hate the Amber storyline honestly I know it's a high school relationship, but even in the flow of the show it feels like filler. Her [i[reaction[/i] is fine, but it should be over being duped; her knowing and getting made he went to cape when a cyborg was destroying the campus is literally insane considering how soon he comes clean right after that. What in the gently caress did she suspect? Him to just call the cops while his friend was killed? Why even tenatively get back with him in the first place when he hasn't come clean if you're that angry. Seems like they wanted to fully subvert a trope and didn't think it through.

So the thread has tried to make a point out of it before, but this episode made it clear they've been dating for 5 months. There are significant weeks of time going on between episodes going on that we don't see. So that makes the relationship pacing make a ton more sense. He didn't tell her right after, he still waited like a month to finally come clean.

She didn't get back with him, she just hadn't dumped him yet. That's how real life relationships work; usually one person moves on but hasn't broke it to the other immediately. You have to find the right words and make sure you're right.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Also its your friends' dad, so you tend to be super respectful when talking to a older family member type. Even if acting a bit strange he didn't have enough reason to withhold information from him.

I felt bad that Omni man punched his car, high school kid can't afford that kind of damage!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Does Rudy have Rex's powers now since it's a cloned body?

Did the Mauler Twins take some of Immortal's DNA to make new clone bodies for themselves? Seems like they should have as it would probably be a huge upgrade.

The other thing is they made a big point out of how Robot's brain was abnormal and was super dense (hence his superintelligence) but if the mind-transfer was to Rex DNA does that mean that Robot isn't as smart now as he used to be? I guess as long as he already has the technology it may not matter much, but it seemed like that'd be a thing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

some general thoughts thus far:

- i don't know about the rest of you, but j.k. simmons has permanently been etched in my mind as the nazi rapist from oz, so seeing him in literally any other role is almost impossible for me. ESPECIALLY when he's playing a good guy. or 'good' guy in this case.

That or the Band Leader from Whiplash, which is also loving intense. He's possibly more of a sociopath in that movie than as the Nazi in Oz. (In my experience, this is accurate of many band directors)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ccs posted:

Immortal was so desperate to conceal that he was immortal that he let Reconstruction get hosed up during his successor's term instead of just acting like the bullet had missed a vital area haha.

Either that or his body takes a really long time to actually come back to life after one of his deaths. I don't remember if the comic ever explains how his powers work. It's more just a gag that he's got similar facial hair to Lincoln.

It makes sense to me, if he just easily regenerated right away then the whole "Cecil is an idiot" thing wouldn't have been a problem. Otherwise he'd already be back up on his own. So it seems like if you kill him then he stays dead for a little while and someone needs to like, put your head back on or whatever, and then after a bit he'll regenerate.

So the way I see it is he was assassinated, everybody said "oh my god Lincoln is dead", they had a funeral for him, and then he rez'd in the coffin and busted out of his grave. At which point he can't very well go "Actually I'm fine, it was just a headache" so he has to assume a new identity.

But yeah its a great goof and I hope they never explain more.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dignity Van Houten posted:

In my heart I'm hoping that there's more to the Omni-Man big secret "I was sent here to conquer the planet not protect it" all along like we're assuming. The show isn't even being subtle about it. So I'm hoping the writers don't go for the low hanging fruit but I wouldn't put money on them surprising me.

I agree, It seems too obviously where things are going so I'd prefer some curveball of some sort. Of course, this all went down different in the comics, which also were received different years ago, so the idea of "its too obvious" may not have really applied to the original story.

Phenotype posted:

I'm not sure exactly what else it could be, though. Maybe they also want to use us as breeding stock now that they know they can produce superpowered offspring like Mark with human partners? I know (minor real-world meta spoiler)the comic ran for a long time, and I'm not sure how long they could possibly keep the current storyline running -- it feels like Mark is gonna side with his dad or more likely reject him, and then Nolan comes back with an armada or something within another season or two. They could do the thing where Nolan has to switch sides because he loves Mark and his wife too much to conquer the Earth and kill everyone, but holy poo poo Nolan's racked up a ton of gory murders and unrepentant bad guy scenes to just go back and say "sorry, changed my mind, we're all buds again."

Yeah... I'm not sure what else really fits. Maybe he's trying to keep Humanity from being noticed by the other members of his species and he actually cares about Earth?

At this point it seems like he doesn't have a good explanation for why he killed the guardians to give his wife or son, which means he's probably just straight up bad.

It does feel like things are going quickly towards a Mark V Dad story. Personally I don't think this plot is sustainable, like you're saying, and myself I feel like the only possible ending of the story would be Mark having to kill his dad. I can't see it going any other way.

(I have not read the comics and this is pure speculation)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Y'all as hyped for tomorrow as I am? :munch:

Season finale is gonna be good. I haven't felt this excited about plot arc resolution in awhile.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/InvincibleHQ/status/1387830120950505475?s=20

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

WELP!

That sure was an episode!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

NmareBfly posted:

It's basically this. Maybe it boils down to the 'why can't people recognize superman when he puts glasses on' but if Amber knew he was a supe and saw Invincible show up right when Mark vanished it feels like she's absolutely been written as smart enough to put that poo poo together on the spot. The confrontation shoulda been different, but I guess they wanted e7 to be the climax of bunch of arcs for the wow factor?.

Also for the record,

https://twitter.com/InvincibleCast/status/1386845071992102912

Oh wow this was throwing me for a loop. I was wondering how "No-Female" made sense as a logo for Atom-Eve.

Of course its an atomic female symbol, but the simplified arcs look like an X cross through :doh:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Morrow posted:

Earth is screwed if there's an army of Omni-men level Viltrumites coming for them. Or even, like, three, considering Mark was getting manhandled by just one. The new Guardians of the Globe could probably stall one for a gruesome two minute montage.

Yeah, It seems almost crazy to me how much everybody including Cecil is like "back to work as usual". The fact that Nolan has been gone two weeks is super super lucky, but there should be red alarms going off non-stop. The military should be prepping every nuke we have. All super-heroes should be uniting in the face of oblivion right now. Either Nolan or SEVERAL other viltrumites could show up literally any second and just entirely destroy all human life. They don't have time to relax. It seems way way way too easy that Nolan would just leave. I can't believe they're not panicking more.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Good Citizen posted:

What more could earth really do to prepare? Cecil is trying to recruit invincible and they’re building a poo poo ton of reanimen. So far Cecil knows that Nolan had a long time left to complete his mission and abandoned his post at least temporarily so who knows what viltrum is even aware of or when they could be coming to check on him. I mean it was pretty clear Nolan could have done the job on his own right then if he wanted to. He didn’t need backup

I'm not saying he needs backup, not at all. That's the point. They should be thanking their lucky stars they got as much time as they did, but they should assume Nolan is going to return any second and kill literally EVERYONE, OR alternatively, even if somehow Nolan doesn't return, the other Viltrumites could show up, possibly an army, and that would be maybe even *worse*. My point was either one of those two things is a massive extinction event for all life on Earth if it happens. I guess "what can they do?" is a fair point, but... I dunno. I don't think "go back to school and hope for the best" is the answer. No way. Not after all that poo poo just went down. There should be talks between governments at this point, we should be forming the American-Russian-Chinese military alliance and developing gundams with nukes for arms or something. It may not even be enough but you now know you're so extremely close to complete and utter doomsday, oblivion, it feels way way way worse than anything they've seen so far.

They gotta find some goddamn Kryptonite.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Casnorf posted:

The world isn't uniting against the common threat of Viltrum because there's not really any point. Humanity in general isn't a threat in any capacity to Nolan, and nothing any human does will change whether Viltrum shows up or not. So people just kinda go about their business, not exactly ignoring the threat but definitely more aware that nothing super matters.

Eh, you don't know that for sure. And as the other goon I was talking to mentioned, they're working on some space crystal in that invisible white room that Cecil has. So they're basically doing this already, although not to the scale and level of alarm that I was suggesting they should

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Roman Reigns posted:

Haven’t read the comics but is the whole thousands being killed in ten minutes in Chicago incident thanks to a superpower brawl going to be glossed over? It felt like by the end of the episode there was a definite “oh well back to business :v:” vibe going on throughout the world.

Huh? They showed in the episode People reacting to seeing the mass causalities in the city with horror. Its going to be the same as when the aliens invaded and Invincible fought them off, lots of people died and it was sad and I think there was even a monument to them? Isn't that where the aliens came back to, the monument to the losses? So I wouldn't say that its glossed over at all. Its just, not what the show is going to stop and spend 20 minutes on. But they absolutely 100% did show people reacting to the incident so I'm kinda at a loss here on your response.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DogsInSpace! posted:

Love how he can believably still do stoic but kind father then switch to scary psychopath. I know his past but Oz was twenty years ago and nice to know he hasn't lost a step.

Lots of people haven't seen Whiplash apparently.

He's far more terrifying in that than he ever was in Oz. Its seriously like, traumatic to watch.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

VagueRant posted:

I have never and will never get around to watching all the episodes of Dragon Ball Z (it just missed me as a youngster and now it's too much of a commitment) but I keep hearing people compare Nolan/Omni-Man to the character Vegeta and from a general pop culture osmosis understanding of Vegeta as an intense villain turned anti-hero(?) with bells on I'm pretty curious what that means?

Also thanks for the info about the comics. Will probably read the main series, the Marvel tie in and see how I feel about the rest if I get through those.

Goku is much like Superman in that he's an alien who fell to earth as a child and was raised as a human boy only finding out about his superpower nature as he got older and so was a chill protector of the Earth.

Vegeta is another member of Goku's species, but one who was raised on their home planet as a royal prince of their race, and came to Earth as a conqueror.

Basically,

Goku = Superman, Vegeta = General Zod

So that's where they're saying "more Vegeta than Goku" because he was an adult conqueror who came to Earth. I don't think he'll have the same redemption arc that Vegeta did though.

(Also, there's been multiple remakes of DBZ so you should really give one of them a chance, its not really that hard to get into in 2020 as you'd think)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

JT Smiley posted:

After a growing up on weekly Shonen Anime I can safety say I never want to sit through another one on one fight that takes several episodes to finish.

To be fair in the age of binge watching you can turn that into a movie. It was a lot worse when you had to wait a week every time :cheeky:

Eat The Rich posted:

Man, I'm really itching for some more animation like this. Anybody have any recommendations for something similar that isn't anime?

Its Anime but if you haven't seen One Punch Man you really gotta give it a chance.

Non-Anime choices are harder. What part do you like particularly, just the action animation and violence or like the superheroes thing or what?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The whole "for people who don't like anime" thing is silly anyways because anime is a medium not a genre. Its like saying you don't like music or you don't like paintings. Its ridiculous. You can definitely not like cubism or you can not like romanticism or not like modernism but saying you don't like anime is just silly. (Everybody likes Cowboy Bebop)

Anybody saying they "don't like anime" is really saying they don't like Japanese humor, or they don't like Shonen or hyper anime and haven't seen anything else.

But Eat The Rich said they already have seen One Punch Man so I don't think their asking for non-anime recommendations was because they have a hangup about anime.

Unfortunately there's just not a toooon of western animation that isn't for kids. There's more now than there was in the past, but still, its pretty rare. Netflix and Cartoon Network are doing what they can though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

False Toaster posted:

Jesus christ... How does this show not have a NC-17 raiting?

Is this on TV? I'm watching on Amazon Prime so it effectively doesn't have ratings.

It does have "warning mature content" though.

Affi posted:

This show is way better looking (and better) then Mob Psycho 100 as I think people were saying a few pages back.

w h a t