Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

idk end of ep1 it's pretty clear that nolan was sandbagging it to let himself get hurt in service of his alibi, as soon as he decided to he put them right down

part of why i checked this out is i love walton goggins but it sounds like he's phoning it in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Cecil needs a little more Boyd in him

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Jeffrey Donovan is an inspired choice for a hammy villain, i hope machine head comes back

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Applewhite posted:

You know I always assumed Homelander was more powerful than Omni Man but now that I replay their various feats of strength in my head I'm not so sure. Omni Man's definitely taken more licks, but it's exclusively from extremely powerful beings. Homelander has no peers in the show so we never see him injured, but we also never see him lift an entire mountain or fly faster than light.

questions of 'who is more powerful' are answered by the needs of the narrative

homelander and omni man and superman are the apex powers of their respective fictional worlds, questions of precisely how much they can lift or how fast they can fly are pointless. in the first couple episodes of invincible we see omni man get beat up and injured by some scrub justice league knockoffs in the process of killing them and also genocide an entire technologically advanced planet almost instantly, there's an incongruence there but the details don't matter because either way he still fills the role of most powerful dude

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

i hope jeffrey dean morgan gets a recurring villain role that regularly beats the poo poo out of invincible

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

I'm always amused by how they'll go to extreme violence but even mild nudity would be a big no no.

:911:

e: wow that was a terrible snipe

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

The sanitized violence demanded of the BSS crowd is puerile in the extreme, a case of child-brained adults clinging to a manufactured ideology.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

JK Simmons kinda carried this season, hope they keep up the strong casting

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Sab Sabbington posted:

But I think that really does highlight why the gore and the violence in Invincible works: because it's the point, and because it's uncomfortable. My favorite moments in this kind of fiction comes from where they really do edge closer to horror territory--this is much more apt in The Boys, where any scene with Homelander is genuinely terrifying.

Early season two Boys:

https://youtu.be/hXM4R-D7SpQ

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Indefatigable

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

most superpowers would be useless in a world where people knew how to use guns anyway, aside from the absurd poo poo like superman

real life 'superheroes' wouldn't be fighting criminals, they'd be players in America's most popular new combat sports series

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

my gosh, what even is this gratuitous trash? this pathetically puerile gorey garbage is for children and childish adults. i take my escapist wish-fulfillment violence properly sanitized of any emotional weight or intellectual honesty like an adult

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

what

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

new character adam eve whose power is access to the magic button

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

The show got me to read the comics and while I'm not big on comics they were a decent read. I liked that they basically were, as others have mentioned, sort of a big melting pot of all the typical comic stories and tropes all mixed up, good times.

It's also either disturbingly reactionary ideologically or a Verhoeven-like satire, can't decide which.

Most important thing I'm waiting for to show up now is thicc Eve

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Eve power spoiler sans story context:

power don't work on biological material

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

stop thinking too hard about dumb comics poo poo and also that was a very pared down spoiler more to answer a specific question