Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Idk Invincible has quite a lot of crushed skulls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sab Sabbington posted:

Hey, that wasn't meant to be an insult, more that a lot of people misremember those films as gorier than they were due to the conversation around them.

That being said: lmao ok

There's also the human brain's natural inclination to fill in the gaps and remember gore where there wasn't any because the crunchy audio made you think some sick poo poo was happening.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Monaghan posted:

I really am surprised that this show exploded like it did. It wasn't a super popular comic when it came out. I think some of the changes they made, like having the guardians get offed in the first episode and the surprising violence, may have drawn people in quickly. Having that ridiculously good voice actors probably sealed the deal,.

That definitely helped hook me in. Towards the end of the pilot I was flagging a lot and might not have continued if not for the "oh holy poo poo" ending.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I thought he came across plenty powerful. Still vulnerable in some ways and obviously not the most powerful being in the universe but still leagues ahead of basically every other non-JK Simmons hero. I love that he actually got beat up and took some Ls instead of breezing through everything - it's not One Punch Man.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bust Rodd posted:

Sorry for another dumb question but I’ve never read the comics: Is Debbie (and therefore Mark) supposed to be Asian? Or is she just stylized in a way that looks Korean/Vietnamese?

I assumed so since both VOs are of Korean descent but that might just be a crappy assumption on my part.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah if I had a superpower that not only took years off my life but made my life actively worse every time I used it I'd just... Never use it. Like I get that it could help people but there are loads of other superheroes with way better powers that don't cost poo poo to use.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Why do I always click the boxes. :doh:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Amber is for sure being written as something of a wine-and-cheese liberal hypocrite. She's talking about serving soup for the homeless like's she Mother Terersa while her boyfriend is nearly getting killed trying to save lives - a fact which she is eventually aware of - and still doesn't seem to care very much about his sacrifice and the suffering he's gone through. There's so many strange things going on with the Amber character. I realize she's a teenager and shouldn't expect her to be rational, but they have her react throughout the show in a way no normal person would. She seem to be written for the sole purpose of constantly being a hurdle that Mark has to overcome or deal with. Which I guess is fine, but it's kinda frustrating to watch.

What? She didn't like 'care about Mark's sacrifice' because he lied and was an incredibly lovely boyfriend. Mark even admits he was an arsehole to her after everyone else calls him out for it. You think Mark deserves an unconditional girlfriend because he's a superhero?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Affi posted:

Am I missing something? How is being woke a bad thing?

The right have claimed it and repackaged it as an insult like they do everything else.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

RareAcumen posted:

But they're everywhere though. If they were new and just showing up like Marvel, DC and The CW likes to present it, that'd probably work but there's at least one or two teenage superhero teams out there now so eh. Stop making promises and blowing them by 3 hours you jackass. Just don't agree in the first place if you can't keep the commitment!

The one that gets me is when he doesn't show up to the soup kitchen because he agreed to go fight Machine Head after school. Just do it a different night! There are seven days in a week you dumb prick!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

What was wrong with the costume thing?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It was just really dumb. I'm glad Deb had something to do, but Nolan had no reason to keep the old costume around. Also he hid it really badly.

Think Nolan think!

e: also the loving CSI costume maker lmao

Fair enough. I liked the moments between the costume guy and Nolan though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah I really don't see any of the issues with Amber that other people are raising. She's well within her rights not to be impressed by how Mark handled the campus thing and take it as a last straw. She's also within her rights to have a change of heart after seeing him utterly brutalised (way beyond any of the beatings he took before) by his own father. People are complicated.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's not like they're married and having relationship problems as a result of him being a superhero. They're a new couple and he treats her like poo poo before they even have a chance to get close and build the sort of bonds that would survive that sort of conflict.

Not to mention the fact that she has no idea why he's being such a prick to her. All he does is disappoint her and come up with a lie after the fact. Mark isn't failing to show up for dates because of any trauma, it's because he doesn't respect her or her time enough to have an honest conversation about the situation (and I don't mean telling her his identity).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Collapsing Farts posted:

Yeah, I mean we saw Omni Man wipe out an entire Alien world and no one went "wow he is irredeemable now"

An entire world

He was already on the Planetary genocide scale before he killed a train worth of people

Idk he seemed pretty irredeemable after the first episode.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Aces High posted:

Speaking of outside this community, boy people really hate Amber. I mean I get it, she doesn't have powers like Eve and she's "being mean" to Mark (because she's standing up for herself and not taking his poo poo) but I was quite surprised at how much people want her out of the way.

I'm not shocked, but I didn't realise that the popular opinion was that she sucks and Mark deserves better though if some of these people have also read the comics then perhaps they are just impatient and want Mark and Eve to get together already

This thread also went on a multi-page tirade against her which was weird.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah for the first few episodes I thought her name was Adam Eve and that there was some gender stuff that would be dived into later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Man, I completely missed the pay-off of the cold opens of Episode 1 and 2. The kid who digs up Immortal's grave is the son of the guy talking about how he's reconnecting with his adopted kid.

It took me ages to realise that the falling burger rubbish in front of Buckingham Palace was the bag Mark threw. For ages I just thought "huh that was weird, maybe it'll pay off".