Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Don't see the point of spending a whole lot of effort on characters whose purpose is fulfilled so quickly. You paint fast, in bright colors and big swatches, and let the cultural osmosis fill in the details since you haven't got a lot of time for them.

It did bug me a bit that that scene wasn't as effortless as in the comic, but someone up thread pointed out the alternate reading of serving Nolan's alibi and he does just kind of wreck face as soon as he's decided he's had enough to make it look good. Little sad to not see "I never liked you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Good Citizen posted:

I think he explicitly said that they just got it and that it costs the taxpayer millions each time they use it, so tech

In the comic he gleefully admits it costs five million bucks every time he uses it but he just can't stop, haha.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Just uhh.... just don't read any more of the Ultimates than that.... :sigh:

This is very good advice.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Just couldn't let go of the beard, eh?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

I like that being a superhero doesn't magically forgive all sins, like treating someone like dirt and not giving them the opportunity to work with you on your job.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

The twist isn't that Nolan is a baddie, ya dinguses

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

The world isn't uniting against the common threat of Viltrum because there's not really any point. Humanity in general isn't a threat in any capacity to Nolan, and nothing any human does will change whether Viltrum shows up or not. So people just kinda go about their business, not exactly ignoring the threat but definitely more aware that nothing super matters.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Gyges posted:

Humanity's secret weapon is hot humans tricking Viltrimites into getting Grinched through the power of a child's joy. Really got to screen our sexy agents well to make sure none of them gently caress it all up by keeping their kids away from sports.
This is way more accurate than you think.

If you really think Nolan's heel turn is the plot twist you were waiting for then you have some serious critical analysis lessons to learn. Let me be more explicit: Nolan not being a sociopath is the loving twist. His internal (and external) conflict between duty and his family is the goddamn plot, and the twist is that his family won. It wasn't an easy win, and his duty and loyalty are strong, but in the end he decides his family is more important. That's insanely optimistic in this nihilistic world and genre and basically the reason the comic is pretty much my all time favorite.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

A wizard did it.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Yeah. Fits the character perfectly.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Eh, you don't know that for sure.

I meant more in the sense of "All the petty poo poo is still happening," not in the grand united front part. Additionally, I will admit to pulling other speculation from comics developments, but I dunno, when something's so far out of your league there's really not much point in using more energy than necessary on it.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

zoux posted:

It was obviously a choice to have Nolan's eyes bloodshot throughout the episode, so I wonder if that was supposed to be mimicking how when Superman goes evil he invariably has the glowing red eyes.

That's also what someone's eyes look like if they've been feeling some really strong emotions, perhaps by crying or not-crying. Can't imagine why...

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Azhais posted:

There's really nothing mysterious about omni man's eyes being red, Immortal jammed his thumbs into them at the very end of last episode and they were red when Nolan wiped the blood off
This is also totally fair. I just think the continual insistence that it must be [some convoluted reference or thing] rather than [simple explanation explicitly supported by the text] is funny.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

I think that the people in this thread are forgetting something really important about Mark's characterization: He is a lovely teen. I dunno the last time you nerds was a lovely teen (for me it was, uh, more than two decades ago now) but the best emotional response to a given situation definitely wasn't the first one I thought of. Hell, it often still isn't, and having had someone unexpected give me The Best emotional response about two years ago now was what made me rethink how I approach people. That being said, give your drat mom a hug ya dingus.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

People gonna people.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Isn't carefully calling attention to cultural differences that don't play into the story at all kind of exactly the opposite of representation?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Solice Kirsk posted:

More. Food. Representation.

I mean, always. We don't see enough bao and pho and gyro and and and man I just love food.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Ccs posted:

I think it’s more incidentally showing them using chopsticks, maybe some Korean food on the table, or maybe something else Korean Americans generally have in their homes (what do the prototypical Korean American homes look like? The only friend from my childhood whose parents were Korean just had a stereotypically suburban house, but with more emphasis on Jesus stuff on the walls.)

I feel like you just said the thing. I know it's silly, but like I have utensils from all over the world in my house and we're just as likely to eat curry as lasagne as pho as burg. There's no particular ethnic representation because calling anything out particularly would be kind of weird, at least in a suburban upper-middle class environment. Hell I see more traditional Asian cultural representation in my lovely fuckin' weeb father-in-law's house than I do in those houses of people from that cultural background.

This isn't really a value judgement, honestly. It's just, like, isn't calling out JUST HOW DIVERSE WE ARE REALLY as opposed to treating the characters as though they're people who live lives just like everybody else and there's no overwhelmingly external influence to dictate their personalities?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

It sure do feel like the show is making a more concerted effort to not let you, the viewer, forget that Nolan has done some Bad poo poo.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Captain Oblivious posted:

Again, I do not care

Then why write these screeds? Whether you get it or not (looks like you don't!) why waste all this time complaining about the show in your head not matching the one everyone else watched as though that discontinuity is the show's fault?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

zoux posted:

Invincible had to pick a name that started with I because he had to have the Image Comics logo for a costume.

Intractable

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

vaguely or explicitly uncomfortable is kinda Invincible's MO

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

I feel like some of this thread forgets what it was like to have been being a lovely teen.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The absolute worst part of the season. Just a complete :wtf: moment

Is it possible seeing mark's dad hitting him recontextualized her view of his selfishness? I mean I dunno about learning and growing and changing in any capacity all everything static and unchanging as the smooth open ocean.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Or it could just be really bad writing.

I wonder how you tell them apart?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Nobody else has an obligation to sign up for that.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

You're allowed to be mad at being woken up from someone's ptsd-induced night terrors and at the same time sympathize and try to wait for them to address how their life affects you. No person is an accessory.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

always liked edward gorey

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

I like the complaining about gore and whatnot when the true horror of a man beating his son to a pulp 'for his own good' is just sort of glossed right over. The gore is there to distract you, and it's working, hahaha. That poo poo's horrifying.

As a separate thought... Mark earns his name in that final moment, not because he took it or because he managed to do flashy hero stuff, but because no matter what he kept his ideals and made his own decisions: exercising your agency in the face of the overwhelming is the only real choice anyone gets. Whatever happens, happens, but nobody controls what you think.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

You're doing a good job keeping people engaged, so I'm proud of you for playing this bit so well.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

a Loving Dog posted:

For whoever needs to hear it: it's okay to enjoy problematic media. it doesn't make you a bad person.

it's telling people they're too dumb to see the problematic aspects of it that makes you a bad person

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

ALLOW ME TO CAST THIS HEAVEN SENT KNOWLEDGE DOWN FROM THE MOUNTAINTOPS THAT I MIGHT ENLIGHTEN YOU POOR UNWASHED PLEBES

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

EVERYTHING YOU LIKE IS BAD

AND WRONG

BADWRONG

BADONG

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

reporting also has these problems but critical analysis of media is harrrrrrrrrdddddddddddd

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

https://imgur.com/a/msISXaJ

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Yeah, the entirety of Episode 8 is some really exceptional parenting from Nolan. The back to back combination of using his son to Man of Steel an entire city, followed by "Your mother's life is pointless", followed by the comment that he's been lying to Mark his whole life. And it just gets worse from there!

This is one reason I'm so impressed by Mark's refusal to give in. He knows exactly what that means, and Nolan's reaction isn't the one he expected at all. It's not about a noble death (which is a lovely way to approach things) and not about sacrifice (because that's just as bad). It's about looking a tyrant in the eye and telling him he's wrong, and drat the torpedoes. Nothing more and nothing less. A tyrant, a bully, an abusive father? When you decide they are wrong, and never, ever give in...that's strength. It's rarely so cut-and-dried, and even here Mark loves his father, idolizes the man. But Nolan and his attitude are wrong, and Mark stands up to him. This is worthy and I will sing its praises, whether it's in a silly gory cartoon for manchildren or in real life.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

do you filter out your flouride

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

How on Earth did people watch television before we had the internet to tell them whether a show was good or not…

they mostly didnt also there was only three channels total and they all sucked

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

M_Gargantua posted:

It’s mostly racism and misogyny spewing forth :ssh:

There's a big healthy dose of solipsism and "I don't see other humans as people" in there too, mind!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Giving you a standard plot beat and the twisting the reactions to it are kind of the Invincible modus operandi.