Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I assume the regular one was too hard to animate? Or like they had to flip between a higher quality one and a zoomed out one so it was weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Good Citizen posted:

Anybody who read the comic knows exactly the moment this season is going to end on. My biggest fear is they cliffhanger it and then it doesn’t get picked up for season 2

I'm spoilering this but it deliberately won't mean anything to non readers.

Having just re-read I mainly wonder if they end at chapter 2 of volume 3 for a huge cliffhanger or if they end at the end of that same volume. I suspect the last scene in volume 3 will be the after-credits on the finale.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Only problem I had this ep is that it makes Amber's annoyance last episode weirder. I 100% buy and do not fault her reasoning for dumping Mark in general, but it makes it obvious that last ep was just withholding info for the sake of drama.

Like, it feels weird that in e6 her specific objection was 'you ran away' unless she was trying to phrase it in such a way as to force Mark to own up to what he did, but it didn't feel like that what she was doing in the ep itself. Would have been nice if we had some sort of hint that she was basically just giving him rope to hang himself with, but they wrote it in how they did so the reveal of her knowing in e7 would be a surprise and that's to her character's detriment. E6 was the worst of the season basically because of this IMO.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I have a friend who (having not read the comics) was very insistent that they would have preferred the guardians stuff to have been off screen or more vague. Not because of squeamishness per se, but they think gradually revealing the gore and having omni man tear apart the Immortal right in front of Mark as a big moment would have been hugely impactful in a way it wasn't since we've been through so much gore already.

In the comics it's also worth noting that I don't believe we've seen Mark or Nolan get so much as a nosebleed yet; it keeps cards hidden for a lot longer and acts like it's regular degular superhero stuff for quite a while. I don't think that would work as an adaptation and they needed the shock to gain an audience and buzz. But is it better storytelling?

Also I talked about Amber stuff earlier and I wanna be clear that my issue is with the writing for her in e6: in retrospect she knew already so the specific reaction seems like just bad writing. But in terms of her actual point? Yeah, mark was treating her like garbo.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Aces High posted:

It does feel a little like the creative team wanted to have their cake and eat it too with him finally coming clean and her shutting him down but it wasn't the worst thing

It's basically this. Maybe it boils down to the 'why can't people recognize superman when he puts glasses on' but if Amber knew he was a supe and saw Invincible show up right when Mark vanished it feels like she's absolutely been written as smart enough to put that poo poo together on the spot. The confrontation shoulda been different, but I guess they wanted e7 to be the climax of bunch of arcs for the wow factor?.

Also for the record,

https://twitter.com/InvincibleCast/status/1386845071992102912

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Wow! That’s really awesome! I can’t really think of another property that is changed a main character’s ethnicity for a screen translation without just rewriting a new character instead. Really cool how this show manages to be progressive about race and gay stuff in a way that feels natural to me.

Maybe not main characters but for what it's worth in the comics:

Amber is white.
Rex is white.
Darkwing is white (I think? he's usually shadowed.)
Shrinking Ray is male.
Green Ghost is male.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

They did.

https://twitter.com/InvincibleCast/status/1386845071992102912

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Here's this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED1SJ1TA2Do

And also this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQmHQLpUrAo

Second one is out... now. :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Viltrum is over extended already from what they've said. If they roll in with 30 they can probably crush all resistance and keep moving but they're going to have a 3/4 or more dead planet with rebellion problems long term. Might have to leave viltrumites behind to do long term admin and such.

Better to let one hang out for a while and learn about the planet then do a takeover with fewer casualties so the planet can be a happy cog in the wheel faster.

Also note that Nolan was doing a bad job and putting things off for quite a while, only really realizing he has to get in motion properly when he sees half-viltrumites inherit powers. Early S1 he's sort of annoyed / disappointed when Mark manifests because it means it's time to get to work and set aside the fantasy he's been living in.