Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

some general thoughts thus far:

- i don't know about the rest of you, but j.k. simmons has permanently been etched in my mind as the nazi rapist from oz, so seeing him in literally any other role is almost impossible for me. ESPECIALLY when he's playing a good guy. or 'good' guy in this case.
- the power scaling in this show's kind of weird. the cyborgs were waaaay more powerful than i figured. mark isn't as strong as his dad, but it was surprising to see how much trouble he was having. same with omni man even though he did wind up eventually beating them. i mean, this is a guy who went through a space station sized satellite as if it was paper. why would someone like that have trouble with cyborgs?
- not a huge deal but cecil said they removed all the pain receptors from the kaiju thing. so why was it screaming in agony when mark electrocuted it?
- as far as the immortal/abraham lincoln thing, did it imply that he 'died' after JWB killed him and came back? or was he just pretending to die?

i hope they bring him back cause it would seem like a waste to have him revived only for omniman to kill him again within 5 minutes

- speaking of which, this show is BRUTAL. i was expecting some heightened level of violence, but it significantly more vicious than i thought it'd be. and i hear the comics are somehow even worse :monocle:
- the animation budget for this show must be insane. not just cause of all the crazy long fight scenes but cause each episode is an hour to boot.

Tarquinn posted:

I really like the show. Looking forward to the finale. I am sure it will end on a cliffhanger. :gonk:

One thing that keeps happening in superhero shows that I will never understand is why grunts, especially those who should know better, try to engage demigods with guns. Even after they have seen in person that they are totally ineffectual. I think their leadership must be lying to them: 'Okay squad, I want you to take care of Omni-Man/Homelander. Don't worry, the bullets we have given to you are Omni-Man/Homelander killing bullets. We swear!' *fingerscrossedbehindtheback*

i'm glad someone else mentioned this, cause i thought it might be nitpicky. but yeah, it makes no drat sense. like, what the hell did you EXPECT you were gonna do? the first 500 bullets didn't even scratch him, but i'm sure if you stick around a while longer, you'd totally take him out. :lol:

NutritiousSnack posted:

I hate the Amber storyline honestly I know it's a high school relationship, but even in the flow of the show it feels like filler. Her [i[reaction[/i] is fine, but it should be over being duped; her knowing and getting mad he went to cape when a cyborg was destroying the campus is literally insane considering how soon he comes clean right after that. What in the gently caress did she expect? Him to just call the cops while his friend was killed? Why even tentatively get back with him in the first place when he hasn't come clean, if you're that angry and think he doesn't want to come forward. Seems like they wanted to fully subvert a trope and didn't think it through.

totally agreed. it definitely sounds like they wanted to subvert a trope by thinking about what they wanted her to do/trick the audience, and the worked backwards from there. thought it was incredibly lame and non-sensical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

wait a minute...

if Immortal was supposed to be lincoln, how'd he get taken out by a bullet yet can go toe to toe with someone like omni-man?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah... I'm not sure what else really fits. Maybe he's trying to keep Humanity from being noticed by the other members of his species and he actually cares about Earth?

At this point it seems like he doesn't have a good explanation for why he killed the guardians to give his wife or son, which means he's probably just straight up bad.

the whole 'omni man was secretly sent to earth to conquer it' twist doesn't strike me as particularly interesting than the 'why did omni man kill the not-justice league when he did and why did it seem like he did it against his will?' part.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

wait the season finale is already tomorrow? it's only been what, 8 eps so far? boooo

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

huh, you guys are already seeing it? i thought the episode didn't go up until midnight?

anyway, in regards to the 'why don't people recognize superheroes out of costume thing?' thing, i recall reading in one of the newer superman comics where they try to explain that problem away by giving superman a brand new power that causes people to look at him outside of costume as someone entirely different. i mean, not the best way to handle such a thing imo, but there ya go

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Tip posted:

Amazon does midnight GMT, so it went up like 6 hours ago.

huh....why do they do GMT instead of Pacific Standard Time like normal people? :thunk:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

welp, that definitely was gory like y'all said...

The Walrus posted:

the 'reveal' wasn't much of a reveal. it was given away with the 'not your world to conquer' line. the real mysteries are still, why now - and what does it have to do with Mark

yep, was disappointed that nolan didn't elaborate on that sadly

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i'm definitely enjoying the show thus far, but i think i would have appreciated it more if i hadn't already seen The Boys. sure, The Boys focuses more on the whole mocking commercialization of superheroes, but both shows satirize established marvel/DC characters, so invincible seems like well tread ground already (as well as doing the sociopathic superman thing as well).

but again, just cause something isn't original doesn't mean it's not good

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

tsob posted:

I saw a good bit of Dragon Ball Z growing up, but never watched the whole thing through and I'm honestly not sure I ever could now, because even the pacing on Dragon Ball Z Kai kills me, and I prefer Dragon Ball Z: Abridged just for cutting almost all the dead time, slow pans and shots that hold for way too loving long, as well as a lot of the exaggeratedly long shots of any kind of repeating action. It cuts almost everything down to just the core dialogue and action, which is far more appetizing and also means it has a runtime of a couple of hours rather than a few hundred hours.

one of the really annoying things about kai is that, while it improves on the original by cutting out most of the fluff, it goes in the opposite extreme and cuts out even the good poo poo. for example, the fight between vegeta and final form freezer takes 3 episodes in the original. how long does it take in kai? literally less than FIVE MINUTES.

like, holy poo poo. i'm the last person on the planet to defend the pacing of the original, but come on. not ALL of it was bloat! :argh:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

esperterra posted:

Doesn't it also cut out the scene where Vegeta finally goes SSJ? smdh

did they? i didn't get a chance to see kai after the namek stuff finished (cable got cut off by then)

how would they handle it without that scene? vegeta just shows up, transforms and everyone just accepts it and moves on?

quote:

They also should have kept the Goku and Piccolo learn to drive episode.

quite possibly the only filler episode i was ever willing to tolerate

esperterra posted:

I still have PTSD from it taking so long to dub the rest of the Namek saga that even the hosts of YTV's The Zone were playing up having breakdowns over not knowing if Goku will defeat Frieza or not.

The Raditz to Namek loop was a truly harrowing time.

then to finally see them continue the series and come to find out it was nothing like the previous dub was a pretty traumatic moment for me at the time

Eat The Rich posted:

Man, I'm really itching for some more animation like this. Anybody have any recommendations for something similar that isn't anime?

it's not in anyway the same level of goriness, but i've been re-watching justice league and there's some excellent superhero type fight scenes and choreography

JT Smiley posted:

After a growing up on weekly Shonen Anime I can safety say I never want to sit through another one on one fight that takes several episodes to finish.

just to be clear, the previous fight i spoke of was only 3 episodes cause they packed it with useless additional poo poo, but the actual fight itself could fit easily within one episode with room to spare

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

zoux posted:

I don’t like anime but I like OPM. Didn't watch season 2 because I heard they cut the animation budget and that’s really the only reason I ever watch an anime series.

bigger problem is that it's sadly kind of a poo poo season

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

re: ethnic food talk

i'm not korean, but i am indian, and apparently the worst indian ever cause aside from a handful of dishes the madre makes, i'm not a fan of indian food in general. speaking from my own family/community perspective, indian dishes are fairly standard for pretty much everyone i know. we do eat american food as well, but those are reserved for specific occasions like if we're going out to dinner, on the road, or just feeling lazy.

the topic of how to do minority representation in media is a pretty interesting one. i can see arguments on both sides. if you're going to incorporate some kind of minority, probably might be a good idea to show how they generally live, right? on the other hand, mark and his mom are of korean descent, but they're supposed to be for all intents and purposes, "American". in that sense, is mark really any different than say, eve? i wasn't born in the u.s., but i came here when i was 4, and i have way more in common than most of my white friends than anyone in india. for all intents and purposes, i too, am american (well, and i just got my citizenship a few months ago :911: ).

a lot of asian americans i know really loving hate it when people ask them where they're "really" from. so is it a good idea to treat asians in media (and i guess asians in general) is if they're part of this completely separate, not exactly 'true' american group?

all meme material aside, are we in agreement that this scene looks pretty bad from an animation perspective?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

on the topic of the animation, i figured it was done by studio mir, but according to wiki it's done by this company called T.A.P. which i can't find any additional info on. but regardless, whether or not the show is done by studio mir, it has that look that's pretty prominent among all the titles they worked on. this clean, but very generic look that i've seen in so many of their works that i'm a bit bored of it by this point, personally. i don't have much of an issue with the animation itself, but the character designs leave a bit to be desired. which is kind of interesting cause studio mir is an offshoot of JM animation, which did Avatar: TLA, a show whose characters had a lot more - for a lack of a better word - personality.

Angry-Alphs posted:

You can see that they cut some corners. The funniest example is in episode 7 after The orbital laser fired (which looked amazing.) All the dead birds falling down afterwards drop like copy pasted tetris blocks with no real momentum.

oh yeah, definitely noticed that part. soooo bad :lol:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

as someone who grew up loving animation but knowing that it had a perception as being aimed at small children, i'm happy to see that it seems to be more appreciated and acceptable for older audiences in the present. still, sometimes i find myself conflicted at the idea of 'adult animation'. mature content is nice, but far too many take the lack of restrictions for opportunities to go overboard on graphic material. i've learned long ago that sometimes there are people who NEED to be restrained (looking at you, john k).

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

socialsecurity posted:

Spawn was like 20+ years ago at this point.

right, and only six people watched it

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

real shame that the season's over. in this world full of binge watching, it was somewhat refreshing to watch something once a week like in the olden days. had a nice routine going every friday night :smith:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

amber isn't portrayed as a radical sjw. at best she's a limousine liberal

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

She spends her free time volunteering in a soup kitchen?

Y'all are harsh.

that wasn't a criticism!

i was just describing how she is

edit: what i mean is she's not portrayed as overly controversial

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i'm seeing people give amber a pass for acting the way she does cause she's a teenager, but wouldn't a more appropriate teenager reaction be "HOLY poo poo, MY BOYFRIEND'S A GODDAMNED SUPERHERO :dance: " ?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

can someone explain why it was okay for amber to be mad at mark for not telling her his secret, even though she was yelling at him for running away when the humanoid thing on the college campus attacked?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It was just really dumb. I'm glad Deb had something to do, but Nolan had no reason to keep the old costume around. Also he hid it really badly.

Think Nolan think!

e: also the loving CSI costume maker lmao

yeah this is a good point i didn't even think of. unless i missed the part why nolan explains why he kept the costume?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Uh, why is that not okay?

I'm honestly having a hard time even understanding why you think those things are conflicted.

"Don't be a coward and abandon your friends"

but...but he didn't. that's the point. and if she knew his secret, then she knows he didn't abandon them.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

ruddiger posted:

There’s an offhand remark from Cecil that they found dna evidence in Darkblood’s detective office, Nolan used the gore on his suit to frame the demon detective.

but 1. nolan planned on planting the dna evidence after he found out and got mad that darkblood was snooping around and 2. why did he still keep it after planting the evidence?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Megillah Gorilla posted:

We see why when his wife takes the suit to the tailor - the age of the blood splatter on his suit indicated that he struck first.

okay but that doesn't answer either of the previous questions

Casnorf posted:

Nobody else has an obligation to sign up for that.

i don't think anyone is arguing amber is obligated to stay with mark. but the issue is that she doesn't have a problem with him being a superhero, it's that he lied to her. that's the breaking point for her.

Bust Rodd posted:

This might be a stretch, but imagine for a moment that Mark is actually hiding a drug problem, and not being a superhero, and but otherwise his behavior is basically the same. Regardless of what he is choosing to lie about, he's going about it in a way that makes him come off as a shady piece of poo poo who DOES NOT RESPECT AMBER'S TIME.

i get what you're saying here, but don't you think being a drug addict/dealer is just a tad different and less justifiable than a superhero who saves women and children from falling buildings?

Zaphod42 posted:

I dunno, If a cyborg is murdering my friends I'm probably going to be like "MARK DUDE HELP, STOP, COME BACK" not "heymarkIknowyou'reinvincibleitscooldon'tworryaboutyoursecretidentityjustgetinthere!"

IDK, like, of course what you're suggesting could work too, but I just don't think "You didn't do the ideal behavior so you're wrong" is a fair judgement of Amber's actions here. These are all panicking teenagers.

Which is a fair concern with secret identities in general that we don't really get to have a full conversation about.

Like can you imagine if someone was in danger, so Superman ducks into a phone booth to change his clothes, and when he gets out the person is dead already? That conveniently never happens in a Superman story, but in an Invincible story that's par for the course. Analyzing those discrepancies is what this comic/show likes to do, no?

um, i may be very confused here, but i didn't get the impression that amber broke up with him cause he took too long to change into invincible

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

do we have any ratings numbers? if we go by internet meme reaction, seems it's much more popular than expected.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Affi posted:

But he doesn't have xray vision or superhearing so it'd be very difficult getting everyone.

What? yes he does! :confused:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Wait what? we saw him use his x-ray vision when he looked into the house across the street that had cecil's assistant (forget his name) and more soldiers. we also saw him using his superhearing when he was eavesdropping on debbie and the costume guy (also forget his name) from outside his store :confused:

edit: wait, looks like i'm wrong on the x-ray vision. the reason he went into the house across the street was cause he noticed the soldier was trying to go there

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 20, 2021

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

pik_d posted:

Sounds like you want to watch Jupiter's Legacy.

just saw the first episode. man, that show has some BAD special effects

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

Uhh then how does she rebuild that forest and accelerate the farmer's crops' growth?

good point. it's one thing for her to manipulate molecules, but rebuilding a forest would require creating new ones, wouldn't it?

Shyrka posted:

Reminds me of this old bit from Injustice.

always chuckle at stuff like this where you realize if particular superheroes wanted to, they could end a fight in nanoseconds, but don't cause of plot contrivance and such.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

yeah didn't nolan almost catch cecil before he teleported?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

wait so when's the next season start?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Pulcinella posted:

Same. Though the Irredeemable is much more upfront about the “what if Superman was evil” gimmick, they are pretty similar if you are just comparing bullet points. They both even have a generic demon guy that annoys the military/government characters!

Irredeemable, however, burns out the novelty of “evil Superman” in a few issues and has nothing to really fall back on to sustain it. Invincible has much, much more solid story telling fundamentals.

I’ve heard of having a really “punchable face”, but MachineFace or whatever his name was is the first time I’ve ever thought a character had a “punchable voice.” Auto tune voice was the perfect character trait for this guy.

I don’t think this really needs a season 2 though. Season 1 feels like it ends on a pretty good stopping point. Also the university episode felt largely like the waste of an episode. We don’t really need an explanation for where the robocops come from and “Mark appears to flake out on Amber one to many times” could have just been the time he was late to dinner with her mom.

this is the first time i heard of Irredeemable, so I went to check out the wiki, and...

quote:

The series follows the fall of the world's greatest superhero, the Plutonian, as he begins slaughtering the population of Earth. His former allies, the superhero group The Paradigm, attempt to find a way to stop his rampage while dealing with their own feelings of betrayal and hopelessness.

that's...that's LITERALLY invincible! :lmao:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Jedit posted:

It isn't. Plutonian is not a conqueror like Omni-Man; he's an insane narcissist who is absolutely desperate to be loved and hates that people are afraid of him no matter how hard he tries. The problem is that they're absolutely right to be afraid of him. He's become like an abusive husband beating his wife while screaming "why don't you love me?", except he's a living WMD and his domestic violence takes place on a global scale.

That's not to say that Irredeemable is good - from what little I've read it's an edgelord take on the theme and even lifts the "Kryptonite condom" from Mark Millar's Wanted - but it's not the same.

oh i see

in that case, it's just literally The Boys then? :lmao:

RareAcumen posted:

So many evil Superman deconstructions good lord

Are there only 2 writers that can handle making a story where he helps people without irony or something?

it really is funny how we've had (at least) two series about an evil superman around the same time on the same streaming service