Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
A buddy gave me the first omnibus back in my mind 20s and I read all of it in the span of a few days. I get why the violence would turn some people off, but I don't think Invincible has ever done violence just for the shock value. There's actually a heart to the story and the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Well, the comic does get really really bad after a certain point, and it does do exactly that. However, that happens pretty late in the series, so I'm hoping the series will just adapt the good part of Invincible. There is a decent enough ending point before it gets really bad.

I'm guessing I'm not the only person who stopped reading towards the end of the series when a really hosed up thing happens. And I'm not gonna say what that is but I'm sure anyone who's read it knows exactly what I'm talking about.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
What's considered the bad era? I thought I stopped towards the end and just found out there were still 40 issues left.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Hakkesshu posted:

I think I peaced out after the whole rape thing they did, which was issue 110/144. Although I did not think that particular plot point was handled very well, it was more because I caught up with the releases and I just wanted to wait until the whole thing was done instead of reading an issue every month. And then I just forgot to get back to it.

That's exactly what happened to me. I was finally caught up with the series and the long wait between trades and that last issue just made me forget about the series.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I will say that J.K. Simmons voice acting makes Omni-Man come off way more sinister than he was in the comics. Even knowing how it plays out every scene with him makes me feel on edge.

Speaking of the comic I went back and started it again and that early artwork is rough to say the least.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Not only does he sound way too old, the voice just doesn't suit the character at all. Like Rex is a scumbag character sure, but not a Mantzoukas type scumbag.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I'm trying to go back and re read this from the start and man are those early issues harder to get through this time around. I totally get why they pushed the Omniman twist up so early.

Also I'm loving the soundtrack to this show.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Elite posted:

Also robot seems like he used to be human - he seems to get sort of upset that people view him as 'just a robot' and seems to relate to monster girl not being seen for what she really is.

So presumably he wants the cloning technology to create a human body for himself. Unclear why he'd want to create a clone of Rex Splode to do this though. Unless he figures that Rex Splode is such an idiot rear end in a top hat that killing him and replacing him with a nicer and more sensible Rex Splode would keep people from asking too many questions.

Have you seen Rex's abs?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Metropolis posted:

Never read the comics. Really digging the show so far. The voice cast rocks. I like a lot of the characters a lot, the only thing I worry about is how much they're expanding the cast of villains, I was kinda hoping this would be a one-season plot arc sorta thing but they spend ep 4 and 5 introducing tons of new threats.

Re: Omni-Man's costume, I wonder if he simply kept it for sentimental reasons. It may be the only original Viltrumite thing he has. I do wonder why he kept it though. We saw Damien Darkblood in their walk-in closet, right? So he was very specifically looking for it. I think Damien's powers would allow him to see what happened that night if he got his hands on what Nolan was wearing at the time? I think Damien's book is gonna give Deborah a way to contact him somehow.

I think in terms of overall plot the two most important lines Nolan has said are "Earth is not *yours* to conquer" and "as Earth's *sole* protector" (emphasis mine.) With Mark having powers, and there being lots of weird alien threats emerging like the Kaiju, the Martian thingies, whatever stuff Allen goes around testing people for, Nolan killed the guardians because he decided that it is time to move to the next phase of whatever it is he does. Make Earth completely dependent on Viltrumite protection. I also get vibes that he is hoping to send Mark away to do the same thing to another planet. But, in order to do these, we'd need to know what Viltrumites actually DO with a planet they control. Sure there's lots of stuff but it seems like they would need an enemy to be battling if they need more resources etc. that bad. I think we'll get something more than just "we conquer planets with our superpowers in a weird way to acquire generic resources." Something like, acquiring magic or other weird stuff Viltrum doesn't have, would be cool, but I feel like if that were happening, Nolan would show more interest in Damien Darkblood. I'm sure like at least 50% of what Nolan has told Mark about Viltrum and their society is just propaganda that he knows is fake.

I don't care much about Mark's relationship drama but I guess it's always part of superhero stuff. I actually liked the school scenes a lot but the stuff we've seen the past couple eps feels like the perfunctory part of the story.

This show has been really good at introducing new things, and some of the payoffs have been good so far, I'm just hoping it lives up to how hyped it has gotten me. I made the mistake of diving in thinking it was done airing (I remembered the first preview from a longass time ago I thought) and am kicking myself for having to watch week to week now. But I'm really impressed. I like how it's a mashup of various comics stuff and while it's deconstructing certain things it doesn't feel like it's in a hamfisted gritty edgy way but rather it's more like a respectful evolution of standard comic tropes.

Not really a spoiler, but one of my highlights of the comic is how Kirkman weaves different characters and storylines in and out so there's always moving pieces at play. I just love how fleshed out the world becomes as the series goes on.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I have literally no memory of Amber from the comics cause her character is so flat and boring.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Not really a spoiler, but it seems like all the problems I see people having with this episode stem from the changes they made from the comic.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

twistedmentat posted:

The romance stuff between Mark and Amber is really dragging now. It's one of those things that simply telling her would fix everything.

Also Omni-Man trying to figure out how to kill his wife

I get what you mean, but at the same time that's a huge secret to reveal to a high school girlfriend so I get why he hasn't.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
My only real complaint about the show is that it's not as funny as the comic was. I get most of that is down to how many events have been moved forward or changed, but I'm really missing the more satirical elements of the early issues.

Oh and I hate Robot's new voice.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I finally finished the last 50 issues of the comic after a five year hiatus. Now I'm curious where the show even goes cause the comic is dense as gently caress and there's just so much that it would probably take 20 seasons to cover everything.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
After a growing up on weekly Shonen Anime I can safety say I never want to sit through another one on one fight that takes several episodes to finish.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Is that woman who shrinks a brand new character? I have no memory of her from the comics.

esperterra posted:

I still have PTSD from it taking so long to dub the rest of the Namek saga that even the hosts of YTV's The Zone were playing up having breakdowns over not knowing if Goku will defeat Frieza or not.

The Raditz to Namek loop was a truly harrowing time.

The wait was so long that my brothers and I started watching the Spanish version cause it was way further than the English one. None of us speak Spanish.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Good Citizen posted:

gently caress the haters. The comic is good throughout. The complaints on the later issues are mostly that the violence gets more explicit (the show's already at that level though) and a specific plot point that could (and probably should be) excised from the show, without effecting anything else. Also the 'decline' happens waaay later than where we're at now

Rest assured we are not at the peak yet and there are moments in where the next two seasons are likely to go that are definitely worth it.

As someone how just binged the end of the series I have to agree. I wouldn't say it's perfect throughout, but it remains a fun read. But I can see where someone would have plenty of issues with the pace and story direction if they were reading week to week though.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I don't even get that guys original complaint about the show wasting Sandra Oh.They gave Debbie more agency in eight episodes than she had in the entire comic's run.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
The only change that's bothered me is seeing Mark get bodied by his dad loses some impact when we've seen him get hosed up over and over in these 8 episodes. I don't remember Mark taking any serious damage in the comic until he took on his dad, which made the whole ordeal even more hosed up.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I don't have a problem with Mark losing a lot, just with the way they moved things around so it seems like literally everything fucks him up.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Invincible gets so weird at points that real spoilers and fake spoilers are hard to tell apart.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Dear Lord people are really weird about Amber.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
That's not even remotely close to a spoiler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

TheBlackVegetable posted:

I don't know why we can't just agree that teenagers are just emotionally confused dumb horny idiots, and this explains pretty much everything about Mark and Amber, and leave it at that.

Judging by most of my friends in their 20s and 30s this isn't an exclusive trait of teenagers.