Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Never read the comics. Really digging the show so far. The voice cast rocks. I like a lot of the characters a lot, the only thing I worry about is how much they're expanding the cast of villains, I was kinda hoping this would be a one-season plot arc sorta thing but they spend ep 4 and 5 introducing tons of new threats.

Re: Omni-Man's costume, I wonder if he simply kept it for sentimental reasons. It may be the only original Viltrumite thing he has. I do wonder why he kept it though. We saw Damien Darkblood in their walk-in closet, right? So he was very specifically looking for it. I think Damien's powers would allow him to see what happened that night if he got his hands on what Nolan was wearing at the time? I think Damien's book is gonna give Deborah a way to contact him somehow.

I think in terms of overall plot the two most important lines Nolan has said are "Earth is not *yours* to conquer" and "as Earth's *sole* protector" (emphasis mine.) With Mark having powers, and there being lots of weird alien threats emerging like the Kaiju, the Martian thingies, whatever stuff Allen goes around testing people for, Nolan killed the guardians because he decided that it is time to move to the next phase of whatever it is he does. Make Earth completely dependent on Viltrumite protection. I also get vibes that he is hoping to send Mark away to do the same thing to another planet. But, in order to do these, we'd need to know what Viltrumites actually DO with a planet they control. Sure there's lots of stuff but it seems like they would need an enemy to be battling if they need more resources etc. that bad. I think we'll get something more than just "we conquer planets with our superpowers in a weird way to acquire generic resources." Something like, acquiring magic or other weird stuff Viltrum doesn't have, would be cool, but I feel like if that were happening, Nolan would show more interest in Damien Darkblood. I'm sure like at least 50% of what Nolan has told Mark about Viltrum and their society is just propaganda that he knows is fake.

I don't care much about Mark's relationship drama but I guess it's always part of superhero stuff. I actually liked the school scenes a lot but the stuff we've seen the past couple eps feels like the perfunctory part of the story.

This show has been really good at introducing new things, and some of the payoffs have been good so far, I'm just hoping it lives up to how hyped it has gotten me. I made the mistake of diving in thinking it was done airing (I remembered the first preview from a longass time ago I thought) and am kicking myself for having to watch week to week now. But I'm really impressed. I like how it's a mashup of various comics stuff and while it's deconstructing certain things it doesn't feel like it's in a hamfisted gritty edgy way but rather it's more like a respectful evolution of standard comic tropes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
wow white power weirdos can even find something wrong with a show where the most super powerful race in the universe looks like white dudes? and there's a female character who's white and slim with long NON-POLITICAL hair who dresses in pink and has pink powers. and the guy who was against the founding fathers of the US and had an undergrad degree that wasn't STEM was a bad guy who got killed. not ironically criticizing the show for having these things just saying come on guys look for the positives if you're gonna be overanalyzing things from your weird viewpoints and giving a good show a one star review hoping to cancel it because you hate liberal cancel culture

i would def. watch anything with both zazie and gillian in it, they turn my eyes into cartoon hearts irl.

I think in the next episode we will probably see Mark join the guardians of the globe or whatever. He was definitely going to die if they didn't come save him and they didn't really have to. also i agree with the theory that it was Nolan who called it in because he saw it as a chance to both teach Mark a lesson AND deliver another teamwipe to the guardians. However, Nolan won't want Mark to join the guardians, but it will make sense since he got *stomped* by a city-level criminal. he also doesn't know how bad he hosed up on Mars yet but that will come out eventually too and he will realize he is nowhere near cut out for solo hero stuff yet. If his dad offers to just literally work as a team with him though then he would probably go for that.

I am pretty curious as to Robot's origins. People seem to just not know or care who built him and why? Definitely something weird there. I'm more interested in that, than finding out what he's up to with a potential rex clone or whatever. though I do suspect he wants to be a real boy. I guess since he's sort of a play on Cyborg, who was a human with robot parts and member of the teen titans sometimes? he will become some sort of reverse-cyborg, a robot with human parts, who everyone sees as more real than machine. i also suspect it's not just the way he's viewed by others that motivates him, he probably really does want to see what it's like to be human.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

VagueRant posted:

Everyone says the costume looks DC Comics character Nightwing (who is the same Grayson that used to be Robin) so I always figured it was an intentional homage.

I figure this too, but it feels weird to me because aside from the homage stuff he doesn't seem much like Nightwing to me. though maybe the story goes more in that direction later. I do like the alien-son pun there too though.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
I think JK blends in pretty well as Omni-Man for me, only one who stands out for me is Mantzoukas. He's like three times as old as his character and just using his normal distinctive voice.

I loved Immortal coming back, I liked the whole not-Justice League a lot. It would have been really cool if he had put up more of a fight though, I mean he sure did, but he basically lives in some other dimension while he's dead right? It would have been cool if we saw some stuff hinting that he had learned from his first fight with Omni-Man and when Omni-Man went to kill him the same way again he predicted it and delivered a perfect counter and did some stuff to put Nolan in serious danger before he dropped the hammer and did something more surprising than just punching to take him out again. Him being full of battle rage was so hype though. If the timing were better and it was Immortal, the cyborgs, and the Kaiju all vs. Nolan at once with Cecil delivering a distraction at the right time they probably could have taken him down before Mark showed up. Now we might see the new Guardians vs. Nolan with a conflicted Mark in the middle.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
While I like Mob Psycho more visually I think the visual character design in Invincible is overall better, though the opposite opinion is equally valid of course. I tend to favor Western character art because they tend to include more realistic facial structures. I also just really like a lot of the costumes in the show too, since they're kinda based on existing iconic characters they tend to work well. That fight with the teleporter is one of my favourite animated fights of all time though, nothing in Invincible comes close imo in terms of animation quality. That clip someone posted doesn't spoil the awesome and hilarious ending to it either, it's so good in the context of the show. Also Mob Psycho just has like, higher fps.