Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

track day bro! posted:

For 2019 Mercedes managed to persuade the FIA to make tyres with less rubber in the tread, which were originally designed for high-wear circuits such as Silverstone, because less rubber = less heat, which meant that the Mercedes problem of overheating and blistering the rear tyres went away. Meanwhile, Ferrari and Red Bull were developing their cars to manage the original Pirellis with thicker treads, to keep the tread and carcass temperatures down.

So Mercedes got the tyres that they wanted, and everybody else had to redevelop their cars to manage the revised tyres.

RB does their cheating on the track in an honourable fashion while Mercedes does their cheating behind closed doors like a bunch of cowards.

Pretty shameful Toto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Tsaedje posted:

It beggars belief that they still can't devise a reliable test to catch wings flexing, a thing some random youtuber has shown with the incredibly complex process of overlaying gridlines and looking.

It’s easy. Start Lewis at P20 and have him inspect every wing as he overtakes everyone on his way to getting in there.

It’s already been proven to work.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Guido Merkens posted:

Listening to last weekend’s radio engineer chatter and I am really enjoying how Tsunoda’s engineer seems to be dripping with contempt when he talks to him. “Yuki, calm down. Okay?!” I wonder if Yuki will be out of F1 before Mazepin.

that stuck out to me too kind of like a substitute with a fussy child when mick has mother of the year over there. maybe it's what he needs though it's not like that team at all.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

track day bro! posted:

For 2019 Mercedes managed to persuade the FIA to make tyres with less rubber in the tread, which were originally designed for high-wear circuits such as Silverstone, because less rubber = less heat, which meant that the Mercedes problem of overheating and blistering the rear tyres went away. Meanwhile, Ferrari and Red Bull were developing their cars to manage the original Pirellis with thicker treads, to keep the tread and carcass temperatures down.

So Mercedes got the tyres that they wanted, and everybody else had to redevelop their cars to manage the revised tyres.

This fails to explain why rbr can't manage tires at present

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Payndz posted:

Ha, you hardly even need the grid lines to see the wing lowering as the speed picks up. Mind you, there was that year when Red Bull's front wing endplates were visibly dropping towards the ground under load despite Horner's usual whiny "we passed all the FIA tests" bullshit and I don't remember anything coming of it, so :shrug:

Never forget....

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Who was it who had the name front wing flexing for a while? Change their name to rear wing flexing pls.

This scandal explains why Lewis followed max so closely but didn't pass, he was gathering the evidence of fiendish rbr misdeeds.

#blessed #detective

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Custard Undies posted:

Never forget....

what am I looking at other than a mechanics rear end in leather

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

ArmZ posted:

what am I looking at other than a mechanics rear end in leather

Redbull besmirching the good name of Formula 1.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Just go ahead and make active areo legal ffs.

Also if I was a car designer I'd put a big vertical sharkfin on the nose, or maybe even each front wing corner, synchronized to swivel with the steering, to act like an air rudder in turns.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
bring back the giant nose dongs

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Rectal Placenta posted:

bring back the giant nose dongs

get the gently caress out of this thread

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Which dicknose was better? The green Caterham or the big black Force India?

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Which dicknose was better? The green Caterham or the big black Force India?

Bad Lotus double dick nose!

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

First Ferrari came for the wings ...

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BWV posted:

First Ferrari came for the wings ...

they need the wings for extra absorbency have you seen how red they are

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

abraham linksys posted:

i just finished drive to survive season 2. question: should i actually feel as bad for nico hulkenberg as this show wants me to feel

No way. Hulk is an absolute binman who holds by far the record of most races without even getting a podium, a feat that hundreds of others have managed. At some point the problem isn't everyone else, it's him.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Toro Rosso's nose was more remarkable than Force India's

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Serperoth posted:

No way. Hulk is an absolute binman who holds by far the record of most races without even getting a podium, a feat that hundreds of others have managed. At some point the problem isn't everyone else, it's him.

at a certain point, Hulkenberg is unlucky to have that achievement due to 1. he never lucked into a podium finish like other mid-field runners did in the 1980s and 1990s due to crashes or cars being much more unreliable than now, 2. seasons having more races than ever meaning he can rack up over a shorter number of seasons, 3. never really had a chance to move to one of the top three teams (at any given time) to really challenge at the top.

consequently Hulk is one of the more successful Porsche factory drivers, very few of them are batting 1.000 overall at the 24 Hours of Le Mans after all.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
e: wrong thread

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

harperdc posted:

at a certain point, Hulkenberg is unlucky to have that achievement due to 1. he never lucked into a podium finish like other mid-field runners did in the 1980s and 1990s due to crashes or cars being much more unreliable than now, 2. seasons having more races than ever meaning he can rack up over a shorter number of seasons, 3. never really had a chance to move to one of the top three teams (at any given time) to really challenge at the top.

consequently Hulk is one of the more successful Porsche factory drivers, very few of them are batting 1.000 overall at the 24 Hours of Le Mans after all.

Ya but occams razor, simplest explanation is that he is bad. The Porsche 919 was all-conquering, even Brendon Hartley won in that rocket ship of a car.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Winning Le Mans is not a notable achievement in the 21st century

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Yeah even noted midfield driver Fernando Alonso managed to win Le Mans

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Aston Martin should give an FP1 to Hulkenberg so we can enjoy him trashing both regular drivers

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

track day bro! posted:

Yeah even noted midfield driver Fernando Alonso managed to win Le Mans

He won twice OP, which means he’s doubly as good and handsome

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

GramCracker posted:

He won twice OP, which means he’s doubly as good and handsome

i'm sure that makes him feel better as he comes home for that coveted 14th place finish

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

FAUXTON posted:

they need the wings for extra absorbency have you seen how red they are
2019 was very high flow for Ferrari

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

2019 was very high flow for Ferrari

that was because they were squirting a bunch of lube in there to enhance performance

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

harperdc posted:

For sure, luck definitely plays into it. But with such a large margin to no. 2, it's just making me want to tell him to let it go.
More races per season is also kind of double edged, since it also means more opportunities for the podium. He's not all bad (but definitely not good) and there's worse that have achieved more (Kvyat, Glock, Salo, Blundell, Wurz, and Cappelli have 3 for example), it just feels like fate at this point.

Edit: he was in the same car as Perez in 2016, and Perez got two podiums that season.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 13, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
His team mates got repeated podiums and he binned it all on his own into a wall when he had a safe 3rd. At that point it’s a pattern showing his brain just shuts down and he forgets how to race car driver properly whenever he realises that this might finally be it!

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

He had the car and pace for a race win and panicked trying to get past Lewis and broke both their cars, he had the opportunity but never the talent.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

to put it into perspective: lance stroll has had the opportunity and taken it multiple times. lance stroll.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Yeah, but Stroll is good. :confused:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

Yeah, but Stroll is good. :confused:

good at flipping his car

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

NtotheTC posted:

to put it into perspective: lance stroll has had the opportunity and taken it multiple times. lance stroll.

Lance Stroll owns

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
We all love Lance Stroll who is a good lad and a fantastic driver. I'm glad the thread finally agrees with me.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
happy birthday to fromula 1

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

italian quid posted:

We all love Lance Stroll who is a good lad and a fantastic driver. I'm glad the thread finally agrees with me.

None of this is true OP.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Custard Undies posted:

None of this is true OP.

Stop gaslighting me

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Custard Undies posted:

None of this is true OP.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the paradigm shift