Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Red Warrior posted:

So you want to watch F1TV on your Android TV or Fire TV?

Hahaha gently caress you a billion dollar company can't be expected to make it easy to watch their TV service on TVs, what do you think this is.

Previous years you could open the stream in a third party browser installed on your device at least and watch it. It had a tendency to memory overflow the browser on Fire TVs and crash it every 20 minutes, but you could do it. Now in our glorious new era of APIs and infrastructure they have inexplicably locked down the browser streaming to Chrome, gently caress your third party browsers. I can Chromecast it you say, and yes you can if you have a laptop or something nearby to your TV, and you can clumsily tap around and find the Chromecast option and sit there babysitting the stream from your laptop instead of using a remote like a normal human. If you want to do that from your phone like a slightly more normal human, again gently caress you, despite frequent claims over the years of that coming soon you still can't do that. Maybe if you are lucky you can Chromecast from your mobile browser if you set it to open the site in Desktop mode, but mileage varies.

Again, this is a billion dollar company trying to sell you on a streaming service called F1TV that they make it hard as possible to actually watch on your TV.

So how do I actually watch F1TV on my Android TV or Fire TV?

Tiny third party open source developers to the rescue. The developer of F1TV Viewer has been building on a previous effort, and produced a pretty decent app to actually watch F1TV through. It supports the new APIs so you get the new 50fps streams.
https://github.com/leonardoxh/race-control-tv

Installing it:
Have an Android TV or Chromecast TV etc. type device with Google play store on it?
Just install it from the store:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.github.leonardoxh.f1

Fire TVs and sideloading:
Ok a bit more complicated but not that bad. Hopefully soon it will be published to the Amazon store and you will be able to install like any other app, the developer seems to be working on that. If all this scares you, wait for that I guess. Until then, here's how you do it.

1. Allow installing apps from outside the Amazon store - go to Settings, Device, Developer Options and turn on 'Apps from Unknown Sources'.

2. Now to get the app on there, I like using the Downloader app on the Fire store, it's a bit simpler I think, if you have another way go ahead.
https://www.amazon.com/AFTVnews-com-Downloader/dp/B01N0BP507/

Install Downloader, run it, give it permission to save files locally so it can actually download the apk.

3. In Downloader, go to the browser option and use it to go to the Releases page for F1TV Viewer:
https://github.com/leonardoxh/race-control-tv/releases

The newest release should be at the top of the page, currently 2.0.3. If 'Assets' is not expanded, click on it to expand, and you should see a link to 'app-release.apk' - click on that link and the apk should download. You will be prompted with an 'Install this app?' prompt like regular Android, do so.

Until the app is published on the Amazon store, you'll have to do Step 3 each time a new release is made if you want to keep the app up-to-date.

Congrats you now have it installed.
Open it up, enter your credentials (yes this is a third party app, it is open source, you can scan through the source and could build it yourself if you want, it's probably not part of some insidious scheme to steal F1TV logins). Off you go.

you can sideload the official f1tv app onto your firestick if you have a bluetooth/usb keyboard and mouse you can plug in to navigate it too, that's what I'm doing.

there was a press release where they said they'd have an official firetv f1tv app working later in the season as well i think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Top 3 lap times were VER NOR HAM in that order but they were doing some Amazon AWS™ number fuckery to claim Lewis was Actually The Fastest

code:
# AWS Insights
print("Lewis was Actually The Fastest")
I even documented it, hire me Bezos

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

The Taxman posted:

I don't like Ticktum at all but this wasn't his fault and he didn't whine as much as earlier

Why did I quote you, I agree

It was entirely his fault lmao he drove perpendicular to the track expecting other drivers to predict his insanely poo poo driving

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Uppa posted:

As this is only my fourth year following F1, I’ve never experienced anything but total Mercedes domination.

If you experienced the Red Bull domination you'd understand why them fastest is A Bad Thing

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Zeta Acosta posted:

https://twitter.com/lovingleclerc2/status/1316951409343012866

this charles guy seems pretty loving epic to me Y/n?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

SocksAndSandals posted:

F2 is better than F1?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Piastri pulling a Mick Schumacher, using up his tires early and making it look like he's quick and then plummeting backwards

e: lmao now he lost out to pricktum, Australia in ruins.

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Mar 28, 2021

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

An australian driver failing to stop a miserable fraud from getting past and beating him. Looks like Piastri is ready for F1 guys ship him on up.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

I was worried I'd have to figure out how to watch the race live and my wife thoughtfully decided to rip a bunch of nails out from the walls, so now I have to paint.

so you get to watch paint dry instead of f1? nice humblebrag.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Qmass posted:

should have got laurence to pay a high rake team to sell you their blueprints, dickhead.

like for real, what does he think he's going to achieve.

"You slowed Mercedes (and by extension us!) down with this rule change!"

"Yes that was literally the entire point of it."

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

boop the snoot posted:

Lewis was also given the win by are stewards

“Oh he overtook Sir Lewis this is unacceptable, no investigation needed”

Checo would’ve cleanly overtook Lewis in the same situation

https://twitter.com/NorthHertsSam/status/1376501204415565832

lot more pissbabies than usual ITT after this race, say what you like about Drive 2 Survive but it's pulling viewers in. (dumb viewers that don't realise Lewis is GOAT)

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

your friend wicka posted:

Max Mosley is good, don't kink shame

pull up wicka, pull up!

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

the corona quid posted:

Prince Harry dressed up as a Nazi and is now a symbol for racial equality so 🤷🏼‍♂️

Ah yes, Nazi sex parties- the only controversial thing Max Mosely has ever done.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Zeta Acosta posted:

ban every britsh team

yeah at least ferrari might get a 3rd place then

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

waffle enthusiast posted:

shameful lack of kimi representation itt.

that Kimi is a pathetic, tedious idiot is one of the few things the thread is unanimous on

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Theophany posted:

Kimi's adoring fans are, that's truth. Kimi is living the loving dream pootling around, getting paid and not getting chided for being a PR shitshow. I can't hate on the guy for doing exactly what I would do in his shoes.

yes you can

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

masterpine posted:

Kimi is a king

lmfao, ok I gave the thread too much credit, of course there are posters still extremely angry at their dads that think being a teenage rebel at age 50 is cool.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Theophany posted:

Uhh, turn your monitor?

Leave me alone I know what I'm doing! :lol:

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

GramCracker posted:

Does Max have a Cool And Good catchphrase??

It's more of a catchfence

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Pook Good Mook posted:

Ah OK. That makes more sense.

But still, couldn't you claim that your front-wing was creating too much downforce or some nonsense and say you needed to replace both front tires or something? I can still see it being abused.

The tires were rock hard and designed to run the entire race without being changed, they didn't have the sharp dropoff in time that the pirelli ones have. The slowest those tires ever got were probably the first few laps you ran on them when they were cold.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

the corona quid posted:

Khablam scoring some big points today

leaning into his new av clearly

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

daslog posted:

Some of you guys are way to obsessed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWkVeT9GWeE

the jarring unrealism of bottas being anywhere near the back of verstappen ruined this for me

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Inane non-f1 poo poo ITT.

I got a Le Crueset cast iron casserole dish today guys! I asked my Mum how many hours a night I had to season it for and apparently you just wash it? I assured her she was wrong and I had it on good authority that owning cast iron cookware was a full time job but apparently that's just the garbage the North Americans make and French pots work just fine without it

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

learnincurve posted:

You now officially have to start collecting it in that colour and only that colour, hopes and prayers that your mam chose volcano orange.

hell yeah OP

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Mike Oldfield has more bangers than Phil Collins and genesis put together

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

MustardFacial posted:

Alpha Tauri is better than Ferrari

is alpha tauri Italian for "literally anything"?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Theophany posted:

The only good pizza

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e5gTx1fVU4

E: I believe it's on their menu as 'The Tamburello'

Not a well-suited name given the complete lack of tomato sauce

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

That was kind of off-colour actually I'm sorry

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

track day bro! posted:

The only people laughing at Pastor Maldonado were racers

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

James Allison is a good egg

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

wuffles posted:

Is there some voodoo to watch f1 tv on...your TV?

I remember last season (and maybe before?) that we had to open it in a browser on our phones and cast it to the TV (couldn't do it through the app on the apple tv or cast it to tv from the app on the phone).

Nothing seems to work now unless we want to watch it on a phone or ipad which is super dumb.

If you can side load / install the android app and have a usb mouse you can navigate the app with it

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

TheBacon posted:

:mods:

this is allowed because no one likes the failson right?

Probably, I for one have always disliked Senna

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

now look what you've done you idiot one of them's turned up to massively misread the vibe of the thread again

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

net work error posted:

This is interesting news, I think everyone ITT should add him to their fantasy team.

way ahead of you op

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

pretty sure he's the guy michael schumacher wishes he was

A peodophile? That's hosed up man

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Zeta Acosta posted:

Senna was a saint and him dying was a loving tragedy here in latin america

I always thought chileans were the cool latin-americans but if they're predominantly senna and ferrari-worshipping folk then I may have to re-evaluate

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

heh max hit wall

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

ArmZ posted:

its correct to disrespect the royalty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Eat Lasagna And Wint? what has dril done to deserve this