Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
AP Calculus is the only class I ever put an honest effort into and failed...twice. Anti-derivatives are the most complicated math concept that I was ever destined to know, and I don't even remember how to calculate those.

Poohs Packin posted:

I had a drug dealer game on my TI-86

Same. Who created Drug Wars anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Elentor posted:

Complex numbers in sixteen dimensions have zero divisors, meaning that there are two non-zero numbers that you can multiply and end up obtaining 0 as an answer.

Also happens in modular arithmetic if your modulus is not a prime number

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

YeahTubaMike posted:

AP Calculus is the only class I ever put an honest effort into and failed...twice. Anti-derivatives are the most complicated math concept that I was ever destined to know, and I don't even remember how to calculate those.

Same. Who created Drug Wars anyway?

I'm the opposite. I felt like anti-derivatives/integrals were easier than derivatives.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Integrals seemed easier as an operation and their physical analogy/correspondence being something you're probably more familiar with. But they have so many rules (and they all come back to haunt you in diff eq)

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I think I had the most fun in Calc 3. My Diff Eq professor was good, but he had a lovely attitude in general (told us the first day he would rather be teaching a Masters level course because those people actually care about math), so I didn't enjoy it as much.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Gimme $$$ approaching your lunch money value, nerds!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Batterypowered7 posted:

I think I had the most fun in Calc 3. My Diff Eq professor was good, but he had a lovely attitude in general (told us the first day he would rather be teaching a Masters level course because those people actually care about math), so I didn't enjoy it as much.
My calc 2 and diff eq proffs definitely had a chip on their shoulder about teaching requirement classes for non majors but for all the self deprecation you could tell they truly loving loved running through proofs on the board. Less so problem tutorials.

Diff eq guy had a tick when he got excited where his register would slightly honk (think like Bobcat Goldthwait) which would happen at important parts of proofs or for the tutorial result.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Calc 3 professor was this funny old dude. Came to class with some ancient looking Windows tablet, would solve a fair number of homework problems people had at the start of class, and would e-mail us the class notes every day after class. The exam format was really good, too: seven questions, pick five. Doing more questions was not beneficial, doing six and getting five right was an 80%, as you were meant to only do problems you thought you could solve. He also let us listen to music with headphones on because it'd be kind of difficult to cheat. I've posted it in other threads before, but I took a photo of one of the exam problems a while back:

My Calc 1 professor was a really nice woman whose husband was also a professor in the Math department. She'd try to get creative to help us remember things (♥ Substitution instead of U Substitution, coming up with a little rhyme for the derivative of f(x)/g(x)) and made my third stab at the class a whole lot more enjoyable.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Let me get the base of that logarithm :heysexy:

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

ikanreed posted:

Let me get the base of that logarithm :heysexy:

It's binomial so you know it's into it.

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
My favorite mind blowing moment was from my complex analysis class, which was all about complex numbers. I had to look it up and it’s called Cauchy’s theorem.

Basically, suppose you’re integrating over a path, like for example you are totaling up the amount of energy that is being dissipated by a heated wire and for some reason it’s a function that is dependent on the position of the wire. If there’s a spot on the wire where that function is undefined, or goes to infinity, you can actually reroute the path into the imaginary dimension, bending the path around the discontinuity (but not in the real world!) because the diving into the imaginary dimension and diving back out cancel each other out.

It’s related to greens theorem which is also cool and relates integrating over a volume to integrating over the surface containing that volume.

Lebesgue integrals are also a cool concept to get around discontinuities. Basically, in a Riemann integral, which is what we all learn, you calculate an area by chopping up the x axis into smaller and smaller intervals and summing rectangles on top of those intervals. Lebesgue integrals let you break up a region into more complicated parts, like contours on a map, if it’s convenient to do so, like to get around some point discontinuity.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
A mathematician goes to the doctor and says, "doc ya gotta help me, I can't go on, I'm done for!"
The doctor says, "hey now, no need to catastrophise, we'll sort this out."
The man replies, "doc, you don't understand, I'm at my limit!"

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I really like 3Blue1Brown's YouTube channel as a source of math. He's passionate about his subject without being a screaming wacky internet personality, he doesn't oversimplify or mislead just to get views, and he does actual math and not just pop-math to make geeks feel clever.

My favourite bit of math is the Banach-Tarski Paradox, which defines five 3D shapes where, if you arrange them one way, you get a solid sphere of radius 1, and if you arrange them a different way you get two solid spheres of radius 1. Although the ubiquity of Normal numbers is a close second, just for the degree of existential dread that it fills me with.

Whybird fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Mar 31, 2021

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tiberius Christ posted:

Also happens in modular arithmetic if your modulus is not a prime number

Is this an invitation to chat about pseudo random number generators

Because liek I'm all for it

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

I can work with complex numbers, but I think in my mind I'm still stuck with numbers representing tangible things, like numbers of apples or slices of a pie or how much money I owe to the dude with the scarred knuckles and a leather vest. Complex numbers? The square root of a negative number? Not tangible! I don't understand it on a fundamental level.

Complex numbers do represent tangible things, they're positions on a 2D plane. (I mean, that's not all they are, but that's also true of thinking of regular numbers as representing tangible things.)

You can't use intuition for multiplying them like you can with real numbers, but adding and subtracting them still work like a charm and a load of other stuff for them is visual as all hell too.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

BuT YoU wOn't AlWaYs hAvE a CaLculAtoR!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

I can work with complex numbers, but I think in my mind I'm still stuck with numbers representing tangible things, like numbers of apples or slices of a pie or how much money I owe to the dude with the scarred knuckles and a leather vest. Complex numbers? The square root of a negative number? Not tangible! I don't understand it on a fundamental level.

Instead of thinking of imaginary numbers as the vague square root of a negative number, just think of it as an unit that represents a 90 degree counter-clockwise operation. That's it.

So now imagine you have 9 + 1. That's 10, right? But if you make it 9 + 1i, you're taking that 1 part and rotating counter-clockwise, and now it's 9 plus 1 up. If you make it 9 + 1i^2, you are rotating counter-clockwise 180 degrees, so it lands on -1, and then you have 9 + (-1) = 8.

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Elentor posted:

Instead of thinking of imaginary numbers as the vague square root of a negative number, just think of it as an unit that represents a 90 degree counter-clockwise operation. That's it.

So now imagine you have 9 + 1. That's 10, right? But if you make it 9 + 1i, you're taking that 1 part and rotating counter-clockwise, and now it's 9 plus 1 up. If you make it 9 + 1i^2, you are rotating counter-clockwise 180 degrees, so it lands on -1, and then you have 9 + (-1) = 8.

This is great, thank you

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Elentor posted:

Is this an invitation to chat about pseudo random number generators

Because liek I'm all for it

go for it! I don't know anything about it I only know zero divisors and integral domains from abstract algebra

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Mathematicians: topology isn't real, it can't hurt you

Topology:

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I minored in math which just means I took an extra math class on top of the extra math classes I already needed.

Discrete math is the fun math, calculus is cool but tedious, linear algebra was just tedious, probability was neat but hard, trig is "oh so everything around us is a triangle", and algebra is the moderately useful to the average person math.

Can't remember how any of these maths actually worked so take it for what you will.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Smugworth posted:

I minored in math which just means I took an extra math class on top of the extra math classes I already needed.

Discrete math is the fun math, calculus is cool but tedious, linear algebra was just tedious, probability was neat but hard, trig is "oh so everything around us is a triangle", and algebra is the moderately useful to the average person math.

Can't remember how any of these maths actually worked so take it for what you will.

I took Intro to Discrete Structures as part of my degree and it was awful. I'm just horrendously bad at proofs.

Course Description:

"This course teaches you the fundamentals of logic, proof techniques, induction/recursion, counting, advanced counting (not as easy as it sounds!), relations, and graph theory. These mathematical tools are essential to doing and understanding computer science / computer engineering.

The primary emphasis of the course is mathematical reasoning and problem solving. Equipping you with specific skills (such as tools for solving recurrence relations) is important, but only a secondary goal of this course. You won't find many plug-and-chug type of problems to solve. Many of the problems will require original thought, instead. This is true for the homeworks, quizzes, and exams."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

My discrete 2 prof used hearthstone and starcraft for application problems and was pretty clearly a just a just a really mathy gamer dork :krad: