Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

dubLEs posted:

Tolkien says that an 'e' on the end of a name is pronounced as a distinct vowel and is usually written as 'ë'. Does that mean the letter is said as 'aye/eh' or 'ee'. As in, Man-wee or Man-way'?

The latter. Elvish e is always an “ay” sound, never “ee” (this is represented by elvish i).

The diaeresis is just there to remind you that the vowel is pronounced and not silent, unlike word-final e sometimes is in English. Personally i think it is kind of unnecessary for Manwë, Finwë, nobody looking at those names would assume the e was silent. But it makes more sense in some other words like Hisilomë (rhymes with day, not with home)

skasion fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dubLEs
Oct 9, 2019

skasion posted:

The latter. Elvish e is always an “ay” sound, never “ee” (this is represented by elvish i).

The diaeresis is just there to remind you that the vowel is pronounced and not silent, unlike word-final e sometimes is in English. Personally i think it is kind of unnecessary for Manwë, Finwë, nobody looking at those names would assume the e was silent. But it makes more sense in some other words like Hisilomë (rhymes with day, not with home)

Very helpful post, thanks a lot.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

skasion posted:

I think for Manwe, Finwe, etc it does help make it clearer that it's Man-way instead of
MAN-weh. The ending syllable is longer than it could be.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

dubLEs posted:

Tolkien says that an 'e' on the end of a name is pronounced as a distinct vowel and is usually written as 'ë'. Does that mean the letter is said as 'ay/eh' or 'ee'. As in, Man-wee or Man-way'?

Manny

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

skasion posted:

Sometimes the diacritics are very important, as in the case of Gimli's grandfather, Gróin.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Gucci Manwë

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Mods plz

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
It's Manwë or the highwë.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Presto posted:

lol

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Presto posted:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Presto posted:

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

surely Manwë or Womanwë

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

Presto posted:

:perfect: in every wë

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I planned each chartered course;
Each careful step along the bywë,
But more, much more than this
I did it, Manwë.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Presto posted:

I planned each chartered course;
Each careful step along the bywë,
But more, much more than this
I did it, Manwë.

Picturing this sung by a sorrowful, grey-eyed elf.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
Bilbo singing this much to the confusion of every attendee at his 111th bday party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

Food Boner posted:

Bilbo singing this much to the confusion of every attendee at his 111th bdë part-ë

Bidet or bday? it's a misterë :ghost: