Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

I have no country to fight for; my country is the earth; I am a citizen of the world.

The majority of what I know about Tolkien's world building at this point is from his nonfiction writing (letters, academic stuff) and the Blind Guardian album about the Silmarillion.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

but is it for reproduction or just for pleasure?

As much as Tolkien talks about elf-loving afaik he doesn't talk that much about orc loving other than that at one point it was the same, so presumably yeah.

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhmqtoUxqZg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

I have no country to fight for; my country is the earth; I am a citizen of the world.

indigi posted:

this is the same instinct behind people posting what their precocious 8 year old supposedly said on Twitter

Attributing things you want to say to other people is a classic move. Dao De Jing, for example, is framed as "This super old super wise guy told this to a guard before he disappeared into the wilderness never to be heard from again." The Constitution of the Athenians is almost certainly by a "Pseudo Xenophon" who just pretended to be Xenophon. And of course one of the most famous pieces of Western fiction, Don Quixote, has a pretty elaborate framing device making fun of this whole process.

Tsaedje posted:

There's also inspiration from real world mythologies where there are different versions that don't line up perfectly because oral history + passage of time. How many balrogs were there? Thousands, a handful? He could change his mind to suit whatever story he wanted to tell. Unreliable narrator is probably the wrong term, but if you have the framing device that you're just recording a history/mythology that's been passed down you can get around any times you've changed your mind along the way with 'some accounts say this, others say that' and be done with it without any of it being 'wrong'.

Then decades later people can make a career out of clickbaity youtube videos debating what the correct number of balrogs is.

Tolkien's love of iron age poetry really does rule and it's a good approach to fiction to be like "nobody fuckin knows how many balrogs there were."

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

Barudak posted:

Dwarf eyesight is cannonically really poor, they can barely see a boat capable of ferrying several dwarves from a distance of 12 yards or in non middle earth made up units 11 meters

Dwarves will become the major powers in the world when they get eyeglasses.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

Barudak posted:

Edit: Gimli, son of Gloin (useless), son of Groin and Bard, father of Bain, father of Brand, father of Bard 2 (non cannonical) leads me to believe some familiesg got discounts on initial letters

That's consonance! No respect for classic poetic considerations I swear.