Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

I think I misinterpreted the map the first time I read Lord of the Rings, and so every time I see the map later it's like it's rotated wrong and nothing makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

Where the hell were all the songs in the second two hobbit movies? You can find time to squeeze in a mongolian death worm, but you can't do the songs?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

Thorin spent most of his life as the prince of a nation in exile, wandering about with no real home, dreaming of somehow reclaiming what was lost. His father was captured and tortured to death trying to reclaim the kingdom, his grandfather died trying to claim another lost dwarven kingdom for his people. It's no surprise he'd be reluctant to part with his prize he sought for so long.

Maybe he and Bard could've worked something out with Bilbo's persuasion, but when the river elves showed up wanting a slice after a history of enmity with dwarves and having directly tried to prevent Thorin getting to Smaug, that made Thorin flip the gently caress out.

gently caress this guy.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

He dresses a lot fancier when he marches out to get his from Thorin, but yeah, it's not the kind of clothes that denote someone who would want anything from Smaug's hoard. It would've wilted by this point.

And it contrasts a lot with their depiction of Elrond.

I like the style of the Rankin and Bass movies a lot, but there's a lot of weird choices.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's very catholic but a much more compelling set of elves than the ones who can just do backflips over humans while also being god tier immortal sexy wizard lords.

I think the Eldar in 40k have a similar spirit to that. They're all immortal aside from getting killed, but they've all been in decay since before the Imperium began, although because of their own corruption instead of being intrinsically tied to the world. They also have a whole complex system of trapping their own souls upon death because otherwise they'll be claimed and tortured for all eternity.

I think there's even a lot of stories where they take a similar role in trying to push humans toward confronting a common foe, although for the Eldar it's more pragmatism while in Lord of the Rings apparently the elves are a little reluctant to destroy the Ring and depower the three Elven rings keeping their decay at bay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

I do kinda feel like Elrond wasn't really giving his all in trying to get Isildur to destroy the Ring the first time around, although then he also had the excuse that Sauron seemed pretty dead at the time. Even when they were all for destroying the Ring the second time it popped up, it seemed a little underwhelming when the most they could do is fill up Frodo's bags and give him a couple volunteers to send him on his way. That might've been all they could do, since if there were too many people along with them they'd draw too much attention, and they couldn't hand the ring over to some super-skilled elf to do the hard work because they'd be too vulnerable to corruption, but it's still not a lot.

Shadow of Mordor may do some weird things with the canon, but it was interesting to see that DLC where somebody does take the one Ring and uses its power for something more than turning invisible only for it to turn on him.