Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised

I'm suddenly reminded of a TV movie of Gulliver's Travels I saw years ago where the ending of the Lilliput part has Gulliver return to the beach where he washed up and met a couple of tramps, and he gives them one of his coins (a fortune to them), but one of them is more excited to finally find the partner to the boot he found washed up on the beach along with Gulliver. Something of a theme that the Lilliputians are prone to being small-minded and petty compared to humans, but that also makes them both more attentive to detail and able to appreciate the little things in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

On this forum we do not diss the musical career of Leonard Nemoy

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Barudak posted:

An elf's teenage goth poetry phase is both brutal for the audience and longer than most human life spans

Also probably especially because of the importance of poetry in Middle-Earth.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There are three more PJ films where we get the attack on Dul Guldur, as well as other important scenes like making it clear that Galadriel was loving Gandalf

Tell me where is Gandalf... for I much desire to speak with him

Oddly enough that works. Maybe because Galadriel is so terribly beautiful and powerful everyone else is too terrified to even think of hitting on her, and she's massively pent up, but Gandalf knows the score.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I feel like Shadows of Mordor's DLC does a pretty good illustration of what trying to fight Sauron with the One Ring is like. Best case scenario, the thing isn't going to stick with you for a moment longer than necessary to get close enough to switch, and then everything you've done with it will turn against you.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Saruman as a tech bro explains a lot. He's specifically an imitator of Sauron, seduced by his fancy toys and brutal methods. He's also a wizard, and very, very smart- wizards know things; magical, spiritual, historical, practical and even scientific. (in the movies at least, both Gandalf and Saruman use gunpowder; Gandalf for fireworks, Saruman for blasting charges. One suspects that Radagast and the other wizards are equally skilled in their own fields) However, he's specifically an imitator, only using and refining Sauron's methods and tools. (which are in turn, only mockeries of the beings of the world)

Gandalf puts his trust in people, and it pays off- those people are able to rally forces that no one thought of, and able to accomplish things no one expected.