Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

Quoth James Cameron,

"Nevermore"

Space? Robots? Gungans? Lions who are Jesus? You won't find any of that poo poo here. This is a thread for discussing the big questions, like who is Gothmog, are there one or two Glorfindels, and how much better is Rankin-Bass's Return of the King to Peter Jackson's? No longer will the Book Barn have a monopoly on elf chat.

Pictured: me and my boyfriend stealing in to start a thread

e: SA considers ë to be an invalid character in thread titles but I promise you all that I know the correct way to spell Fëanor.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

Quoth James Cameron,

"Nevermore"

banned from Starbucks posted:

uhh lurtz def fucks

but is it for reproduction or just for pleasure?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

Quoth James Cameron,

"Nevermore"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1KbvBayqPH4

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

Quoth James Cameron,

"Nevermore"

you won't believe what my little hobbit buddy just did...

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

Quoth James Cameron,

"Nevermore"

Cease to Hope posted:

Gimli's grandfather is Groin

Gróin, please

It's pronounced "Grow-in"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

Quoth James Cameron,

"Nevermore"

Pennywise the Frown posted:

This is my fireplace mantle. A map of Middle Earth, pleather LOTR books, and pipes from my grandfather and dad. I've only read everything but Return of the King which I'm in the multi-month process of reading it since I switch between books I'm reading constantly.

Don't judge me.

I've judged you and I find you "enviable"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

Quoth James Cameron,

"Nevermore"

Yeah, I just finished rereading Fellowship (while in fugue state from the rona vaccine, they were not kidding about the arm soreness I feel like I got thrown down the stairs) and I was paging back to the maps all the time. Even though I've pretty well memorized Middle-earth by now. Even before they leave the Shire there's tons of travelogue that is greatly improved by having a map of the Shire to look at.

e: new page have a cool fan Shire map

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

Quoth James Cameron,

"Nevermore"

bravest little hobbit of 'em all

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

Quoth James Cameron,

"Nevermore"

Barudak posted:

Dwarf eyesight is cannonically really poor, they can barely see a boat capable of ferrying several dwarves from a distance of 12 yards or in non middle earth made up units 11 meters

*Bilbo Baggins voice* 10.9728 metres

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

Quoth James Cameron,

"Nevermore"

iirc most of the preliminary filming was 98-99 which is odd to think about. In terms of the zeitgeist they definitely feel like 9/11 era movies.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

Quoth James Cameron,

"Nevermore"

My friend found a bunch of his old LotR action figures from Peter Jackson FotR and TTTT today and I forgot how cool they were.

Like Gimli comes with all his loving axes, a removeable helmet, and spots to stow all his axes on the figure so you won't lose the ones he isn't wielding. Visible slots so he looks like he's actually carrying them all. The characters with swords usually have actual functional scabbards. I'd forgotten how seared into my brain these were. It's probably these figures as the cause of why I will never ever forget the difference between Legolas' two bows or mix up Sam and Pippin's blades. Absolutely top-tier figures for a certain type of dweeb kid.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

Quoth James Cameron,

"Nevermore"

Karl Urban gores an orc through the gut and chants "Attercop, Attercop, wonder when your heart will stop"

I'm available whoever owns the rights to LotR films now

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

Quoth James Cameron,

"Nevermore"

actually it's this https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Smaug

Smaug loves it

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

Quoth James Cameron,

"Nevermore"

Early swedish editions had crazy good art too

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

Quoth James Cameron,

"Nevermore"

I really love that Tolkien went so far as to add an in-universe explanation for why the Hobbit didn't quite match up with LotR's story and he had to do a second edition. And it fits. Bilbo would definitely lie about that poo poo.

e: like a year ago in the main book barn tolkien thread I posted this before, but the Hobbit is extremely good read aloud if you have kids or a nerd partner. I did it once to an ex an now I'm reading again to my current partner and it's so good and fun. The narration is delightful and all the main characters lend themselves to doing silly voices. Good morning!!

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jun 4, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

Quoth James Cameron,

"Nevermore"

IIRC he gets in the boat only in the first edition.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

Quoth James Cameron,

"Nevermore"

S tier Valar:

Yavanna
Tulkas
Lórien
Ulmo
Aulë

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

Quoth James Cameron,

"Nevermore"

Thorin and pals wandered into Thranduil's kingdom and refused to say anything about who they were or why they were trespassing.

And/or had a love triangle with his son, depending who you ask.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

Quoth James Cameron,

"Nevermore"

Pennywise the Frown posted:

How on Earth do you guys know all of this stuff? Is it a Silmarillion thing? I love LOTR but I have no desire to go deep into the lore of everything. I'm halfway through ROTK right now and they don't even touch on this type of detail. I do notice he mentions a different land or type of people what seems like every 10 pages and I have no idea what he's talking about. Seems like he just makes up silly names on the fly.

You're just nerds aren't you. Really big nerds right? God bless you. I'm glad someone is into this stuff to help explain it. I've often thought about why there aren't any elven children and now I'm glad I know that they just are done with that BS.

Also, one of the thing's that makes LotR/Tolkien so unique imo is how seemlessly all the nonsense lore fits into the story. Like if you remember the two-page or more song about Eärendil that takes five minutes to speak aloud, from FotR, and the added drama about Aragorn and Bilbo composing it: none of it is explained. Why did Aragorn insist on a green jewel being in the song? Why is it arrogant for Bilbo to be composing a song about Eärendil in the house of Elrond? Where the gently caress is Nimbrethil and what's so special about its timber? What even is this Silmaril thing in one line is that related to the imposing nerd bible?

There is lore all about it that you can dive into if you want, and even varying versions as Tolkien rewrote over his life and edited and wrote letters, but it's mostly irrelevant to the actual story of Frodo and the ring. You can happily ignore it too. It ends up feeling much more like a real mythology than any of the derivatives where you can just crack open the DM's guide to elven myth and read exactly what each god's lore and specific powers and aspects are and get a perfect objective history.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

Quoth James Cameron,

"Nevermore"

That's one of the reason Tolkien elves are a lot more interesting than the derivatives. Only murder or suicide can kill them. Even then they eventually rerez on earth on the paradise continent ruled directly by angels from heaven. Even Fëanor is going to come back before the end. At a glance they do literally everything better than humans. They have eternal youth and beauty. But they are eternally tied to the world, specifically. The early elves were keen on exploring, and plenty frolicked in place and then got back on the trail to the west. The longer time moves on though the more joy leaves them though, and the more they grow tired and attached to the lost joys of places they loved in the younger days of the world. They suffer trauma and the world changes and all they can do is stagnate and wish for the past.

By contrast, humans age, die, flame out, and leave the world. They don't get a direct connection to literal angels. They can't do anything as good as the elves can. But to the elves their mortality isn't seen as more or less a blessing than elven immortality. They get to leave. And they have been promised a place outside the world. Elves know the world is ending and what the gently caress are they going to do afterwards?

It's very catholic but a much more compelling set of elves than the ones who can just do backflips over humans while also being god tier immortal sexy wizard lords.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

Quoth James Cameron,

"Nevermore"

Book Elrond and Book Gandalf both turn to the camera and explain why Frodo had to go with a small band of companions and not another massed army of the baddest dudes on the good guy side

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

Quoth James Cameron,

"Nevermore"

Meriadoc is a grown up

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

Quoth James Cameron,

"Nevermore"

indigi posted:

well the elves did go out swinging, they just couldn’t really fit in attacks on Dol Guldur etc into the movies, so they showed up at Helm’s Deep instead

There are three more PJ films where we get the attack on Dul Guldur, as well as other important scenes like making it clear that Galadriel was loving Gandalf

Tell me where is Gandalf... for I much desire to speak with him

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

Quoth James Cameron,

"Nevermore"

The plan was for a lot of them to probably not go further alongside Frodo than back across the mountains until Gandalf died. And Aragorn in particular was unknown to Sauron until he reveals himself in the palantir.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

Quoth James Cameron,

"Nevermore"

Dick son of Groin son of Boob

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

Quoth James Cameron,

"Nevermore"

Celebrian Cirdan Elendil Erestor Finarfin Haldir (pour one out for a real one HAAAAAAAALDDDDDDDDDDDIRRRRRRRRRRRRR-Viggo M.) and Orophin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

Quoth James Cameron,

"Nevermore"

That's character assassination of Morgoth. He was ready to have words up until my man Fingolfin came for him.