Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

am i forgetting some parts of the lord of the rings or is this in the silmarillion

Lol, Christopher Tolkien didn't let this poo poo into the Silmarillion. It was in Tolkien's other writings: letters and various musings on his many drafts of the Silmarillion that went nowhere. A lot of it is in the History of Middle-earth though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Tsaedje posted:

Tolkien handwaving contradictions away with 'an unreliable narrator did it' is honestly a very clever way to enjoy exploring worldbuilding without worrying about if you have every detail consistent at all times.

A lot of older novels had this obsession with documenting how the story came down to the audience, so it was a fairly well established trope even at the time. Modern writers usually don't go that direction because modern readers are completely willing to accept that the novel just exists. It's hard to have an unreliable narrator in a book that isn't narrated though.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

indigi posted:

a dude in an LotR meme group claimed that Theoden's decision to spare Wormtongue was a thematic departure from the original text and was Peter Jackson's "postmodernist" commentary on the Bush administration. I owned him so thoroughly that he left the group and blocked me

I have nobody in my life who might even understand that last sentence, let alone care about it (which admittedly only I do), but I had to tell someone

That was a dumb man

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

indigi posted:

the only S tier Valar are Yavanna and Nienna everyone else is corny for the most part. also what were they doing for all those millennia before the Elves awoke that they had absolutely zero plan of action. c’mon dumbasses

Um, Varda made all the stars. Do you know how long that must have taken?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

indigi posted:

also it’s not like men are any more trustworthy than dwarves. they can’t even depend on each other

also what do the men of Esgaroth have to offer to the elves of Mirkwood to maintain that relationship? if it was mentioned in the book I forget it

They sell them wine.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Barudak posted:

Im reading through the hobbit a few pages a night so its not like I retain all this knowledge on my own. Its a neat illustrated version but honestly it looks exactly like how a friend if mine draws so its throwing me. Got another set for the Lord of the Rings with more classical art that Im gonna start soon so Im drowning over here in complaints about nobody drawing bilbo's looted mithril shirt correctly.

Its also funny to me that Thorin is like "look if I can't have all the gold I'd rather it go to my cousin than anyone in need"

To be fair, that is how rich people have generally treated their money throughout history.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Arcsquad12 posted:

The three elven rings weren't made with the same backdoor trap that Sauron built into the others, but the One was powerful enough to influence them which is why the Elves immediately took their rings off before Sauron could corrupt them. The elves and Gandalf did wear their rings after the War of the Last Alliance when the One was eventually lost and Sauron out of the picture. They're not hesitant to destroy the One because it's somehow powering the three elven rings, the Elves only knew about The One being found for a short while and pretty quickly settled on destroying it at the Council of Elrond.

The three elven rings diminished alongside the waning of the Elves in general who had lingered well past their time into the third age and beyond.

Nah, their power is definitely bound to the one. Galadriel says as much. Sauron had the backdoor, but he didn't know the elven rings existed so he didn't command them before the elves snatched the rings off their fingers in horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

indigi posted:

to be fair if he’d waited much longer Saruman might have beaten him to the punch

That probably would have worked in his favor though. The ring would probably let Saruman streamroll Rohan and Gondor, but his armies aren't powerful enough to take on Mordor. Saruman would be fighting alone against Sauron as he was trying to learn how to use the One. No way he would win that war.