Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Wait she's actually a horse girl? Oh my God I've been reading the manga the entire time how have I never noticed this? :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Wait she's actually a horse girl? Oh my God I've been reading the manga the entire time how have I never noticed this? :negative:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Zeron posted:

Apparently changes made by quirks can be passed along genetically even if the quirk itself was not. So you can inherit physical changes like horse or bird features without having an actual horse/bird quirk and then get a completely separate quirk along with it.

That's overthinking it a bit. It's just another case of quirk combination. Just like Todoroki's father has flame control and mother has ice control and as result Todoroki has a combined quirk that gives him control over fire and ice, one of the horse girl's parent has "look like humanoid horse" quirk, the other has "horn control" quirk and as a result she has the combined "look like humanoid horse with horn control" quirk. Same deal with Tokoyami, just with shadow and bird quirks.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I haven't watched the very latest episode but Pony is also a Japanese (or half-Japanese maybe, can't recall) American- she's not a Japanese native, and Japanese is her second language so she's not great at it. 1-B got all of the foreign students. The dragon scales guy from 1-B is Chinese.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Fabricated posted:

I haven't watched the very latest episode but Pony is also a Japanese (or half-Japanese maybe, can't recall) American- she's not a Japanese native, and Japanese is her second language so she's not great at it. 1-B got all of the foreign students. The dragon scales guy from 1-B is Chinese.

Judging by her English pronunciation in the episode, she somehow ended up with two second languages and no first one

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That's just what us Americans look like.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
in the most recent episode i didn't realize pony was supposed to be speaking english until another character commented on it. i thought honenuki's va did a decently passable attempt though

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That's just an American accent.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

in the most recent episode i didn't realize pony was supposed to be speaking english until another character commented on it. i thought honenuki's va did a decently passable attempt though

Yeah, shame that they couldn't/didn't get a VA with better English pronunciation.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Honestly it was not bad.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I don't watch much anime and I vastly prefer the dub so I'm curious how nonsensical that segment's going to be in the English version.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex

MonsterEnvy posted:

Honestly it was not bad.

It was pretty bad. The first "English" line she delivers at least is incomprehensible.

It's a bit part, I don't know why they don't do more cross-promotional stuff for characters like these with bilingual pop singers or vtubers.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I haven't watched the last season's dub yet but I guess this happened in it.

https://youtu.be/EAl6WtbcVLg

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Aoi Yuuki is a frog and a pony I think asking her to be also an english is a little much

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Eej posted:

Aoi Yuuki is a frog and a pony I think asking her to be also an english is a little much

What about a spider?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

chiasaur11 posted:

What about a spider?

What about five spiders?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eej posted:

Wait, Aoi Yuuki voices Horsegirl as well?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah Pony has been recast for this season

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

oh jay posted:

I haven't watched the last season's dub yet but I guess this happened in it.

https://youtu.be/EAl6WtbcVLg
That's a rough pull because the gag is that Pony's Japanese isn't very good and Monoma is telling her offensive stuff to say.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eej posted:

Yeah Pony has been recast for this season

Who voiced her before and why did they have to swap actresses?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Kaede Hondo played her before and she was recast probably because it's an incredibly minor part and they already had Aoi Yuuki on hand plus who knows what it's like to wrangle a VA for a couple lines during Covid Times. Also it's probably cheaper to just get Aoi Yuuki to do it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eej posted:

Kaede Hondo played her before and she was recast probably because it's an incredibly minor part and they already had Aoi Yuuki on hand plus who knows what it's like to wrangle a VA for a couple lines during Covid Times. Also it's probably cheaper to just get Aoi Yuuki to do it.

Fair enough

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's also weird how Mirko's Japanese voice actress didn't seem to be credited in her appearance last season so we had to wait a whole drat year to find out who voices her.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

It's also weird how Mirko's Japanese voice actress didn't seem to be credited in her appearance last season so we had to wait a whole drat year to find out who voices her.

Especially since her English VA was revealed pretty much immediately.

Also it’s been brought up before but Aoi Yuuki’s Tsuyu voice sounds a little off at times this season, not sure why.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

My GF really likes All Might and it bugs her to no end that we don't know his age. In fact, Hori seems intent on not revealing his age - so much so that we don't even know the ages of characters close to him and his past like Gran Torino or Nezu.

It just made me realize...we know basically nothing about who Toshinori was and where he came from. I wonder if his parentage will be a big reveal at some point.

Also I don't know why the anime tried so hard not to show his younger face in the flashback from a few eps ago.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

NikkolasKing posted:

It just made me realize...we know basically nothing about who Toshinori was and where he came from. I wonder if his parentage will be a big reveal at some point.

I sure hope not. Much like Deku, a lot of what makes All Might enjoyable is that he's absolutely not special - he's just some Quirkless guy that got OFA then was so goddamn focused on saving everyone that he reshaped society itself around himself without even intending to and became the Symbol of Peace. If he was suddenly shown to be the son of Great Hero, the Greatest Hero to Ever Hero Greatly (before All Might) it'd just ruin him.

It is kind of weird that Horikoshi never wants to give any data about him though, but it makes some degree of sense in-universe where he's similarly mysterious - even his real name and form were complete unknowns before he depowered himself in front of everyone. There's likely nothing too special in that mystery, he's some guy in his 50s (I guess?) who has never had a personal life because he was too busy being the Greatest Hero.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, I think it’s less that there’s some big mystery about who he really is or his family and more that he devoted himself to his ideals so totally that Toshinori barely exists at all outside of All Might.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, that smacks of "Rey, granddaughter of Sheev"-levels of storytelling.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

I sure hope not. Much like Deku, a lot of what makes All Might enjoyable is that he's absolutely not special - he's just some Quirkless guy that got OFA then was so goddamn focused on saving everyone that he reshaped society itself around himself without even intending to and became the Symbol of Peace.

i mean he did intend to - the whole "symbol of peace" thing was quite literally his idea when he was talking to his mentor/predecessor. iirc the idea is part of why she chose him to be her successor?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Larryb posted:

Also it’s been brought up before but Aoi Yuuki’s Tsuyu voice sounds a little off at times this season, not sure why.
Frog in her throat?

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Blaze Dragon posted:

I sure hope not. Much like Deku, a lot of what makes All Might enjoyable is that he's absolutely not special - he's just some Quirkless guy that got OFA then was so goddamn focused on saving everyone that he reshaped society itself around himself without even intending to and became the Symbol of Peace. If he was suddenly shown to be the son of Great Hero, the Greatest Hero to Ever Hero Greatly (before All Might) it'd just ruin him.

I had imagined that once All Might fell, a new symbol of peace would arise that wasn't centered around one person. The obsession with one hero saving us all is a problematic message to send to viewers.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

E: my own drat thread and even I get confused

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 15, 2021

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Suspicious Lump posted:

I had imagined that once All Might fell, a new symbol of peace would arise that wasn't centered around one person. The obsession with one hero saving us all is a problematic message to send to viewers.

The manga is quite clear this wasn't a great idea and was not sustainable.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I'm anime-only thus far and I don't think it's been particularly subtle about it, either.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I recommend not watching the previews for the next episode for anime-only's.

I really love this fight so I'm glad they decided to do it justice.

Fabricated posted:

Todoroki blows up everyone on the opposing team and destroys the entire fake city they're in- to the applause of the rest of 1-B because they're cool with incredible levels of violence in training exercises.

It's hilarious how close this was to what actually happens. You'd expect the teams to tone it down after last match but no, both teams go crazy hard at each other. Pony literally stabbed Ojiro, lol.

Pony's quirk is great. It seems like a more limited version of Hawk's quirk but it also packs a real punch and she can spam the poo poo out of it unlike Hawks who has a set number of very perishable feathers. Mudman's quirk is super versatile and strong as you'd expect. Iida's power up is loving nuts so I'm glad it got the special treatment here.

Some wordplay the anime didn't explain: Tetsutetsu refers to himself as being "chin-chin' and 'Chintetsu'. Chin-chin can translate to 'really hot' but in Japan it mostly translates to 'dick'. Dicktetsu. Also his special attack is "Tetsutetsu punch" which is identical to Kirishima's Red Gauntlet punch.

Also the anime made it really unclear what Ojiro does after Mudman shows up: He just does a super powerful tailspin while still holding on to Pony's horns.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

New episode is out and Honenuki remains the coolest :unsmith: Poni's still completely incomprehensible when she's speaking English though.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I really like Mudman's costume, especially how his helmet deals up when he needs to submerge.

Was it ever said who gave the recommended students their recommendations?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Starsnostars posted:

I really like Mudman's costume, especially how his helmet deals up when he needs to submerge.

Was it ever said who gave the recommended students their recommendations?

I don't think so though it can be assumed that Todoroki got it from his Dad.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Mudman's Quirk is really cool and I wanna see more of him. It's very Jojo in the sort of utility potential it has given that while it cannot be directly offensively powerful, it has a bunch of possible lateral applications that can just upend a situation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Xelkelvos posted:

Mudman's Quirk is really cool and I wanna see more of him. It's very Jojo in the sort of utility potential it has given that while it cannot be directly offensively powerful, it has a bunch of possible lateral applications that can just upend a situation
I've softened the bonds between hydrogen and oxygen in your blood!