Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Wait she's actually a horse girl? Oh my God I've been reading the manga the entire time how have I never noticed this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Wait she's actually a horse girl? Oh my God I've been reading the manga the entire time how have I never noticed this?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Zeron posted:

Apparently changes made by quirks can be passed along genetically even if the quirk itself was not. So you can inherit physical changes like horse or bird features without having an actual horse/bird quirk and then get a completely separate quirk along with it.

That's overthinking it a bit. It's just another case of quirk combination. Just like Todoroki's father has flame control and mother has ice control and as result Todoroki has a combined quirk that gives him control over fire and ice, one of the horse girl's parent has "look like humanoid horse" quirk, the other has "horn control" quirk and as a result she has the combined "look like humanoid horse with horn control" quirk. Same deal with Tokoyami, just with shadow and bird quirks.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

I haven't watched the very latest episode but Pony is also a Japanese (or half-Japanese maybe, can't recall) American- she's not a Japanese native, and Japanese is her second language so she's not great at it. 1-B got all of the foreign students. The dragon scales guy from 1-B is Chinese.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Fabricated posted:

I haven't watched the very latest episode but Pony is also a Japanese (or half-Japanese maybe, can't recall) American- she's not a Japanese native, and Japanese is her second language so she's not great at it. 1-B got all of the foreign students. The dragon scales guy from 1-B is Chinese.

Judging by her English pronunciation in the episode, she somehow ended up with two second languages and no first one

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That's just what us Americans look like.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

in the most recent episode i didn't realize pony was supposed to be speaking english until another character commented on it. i thought honenuki's va did a decently passable attempt though

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That's just an American accent.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

in the most recent episode i didn't realize pony was supposed to be speaking english until another character commented on it. i thought honenuki's va did a decently passable attempt though

Yeah, shame that they couldn't/didn't get a VA with better English pronunciation.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Honestly it was not bad.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I don't watch much anime and I vastly prefer the dub so I'm curious how nonsensical that segment's going to be in the English version.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex

MonsterEnvy posted:

Honestly it was not bad.

It was pretty bad. The first "English" line she delivers at least is incomprehensible.

It's a bit part, I don't know why they don't do more cross-promotional stuff for characters like these with bilingual pop singers or vtubers.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I haven't watched the last season's dub yet but I guess this happened in it.

https://youtu.be/EAl6WtbcVLg

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Aoi Yuuki is a frog and a pony I think asking her to be also an english is a little much

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Eej posted:

Aoi Yuuki is a frog and a pony I think asking her to be also an english is a little much

What about a spider?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

chiasaur11 posted:

What about a spider?

What about five spiders?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eej posted:

Wait, Aoi Yuuki voices Horsegirl as well?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Yeah Pony has been recast for this season

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

oh jay posted:

I haven't watched the last season's dub yet but I guess this happened in it.

https://youtu.be/EAl6WtbcVLg
That's a rough pull because the gag is that Pony's Japanese isn't very good and Monoma is telling her offensive stuff to say.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eej posted:

Yeah Pony has been recast for this season

Who voiced her before and why did they have to swap actresses?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kaede Hondo played her before and she was recast probably because it's an incredibly minor part and they already had Aoi Yuuki on hand plus who knows what it's like to wrangle a VA for a couple lines during Covid Times. Also it's probably cheaper to just get Aoi Yuuki to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eej posted:

Kaede Hondo played her before and she was recast probably because it's an incredibly minor part and they already had Aoi Yuuki on hand plus who knows what it's like to wrangle a VA for a couple lines during Covid Times. Also it's probably cheaper to just get Aoi Yuuki to do it.

Fair enough