Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This is a better recap episode than the last few seasons in terms of connecting the seasons but wow did it look fairly cheap. I mean, I get it since this is pure filler to tee up the incoming canon content but lol at avoiding animating Shoto's ice via hard cuts. Also it has been so long that I can tell how off-model Deku is from Umakoshi's original designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Mulderman posted:

Why is Todoroki the guy with ice powers just awkwardly running after the drowning victim?
Why is the frog not just jumping in the river and saving Mirio. I mean freezing the guy in the water wouldn't be a great idea, so I get Todoroki not doing it- but Tsuyu's whole thing is that she's at home in the water.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

chiasaur11 posted:

Was.

The final episode airs today in Japan.
It IS getting a movie though. Probably the finale.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

oh jay posted:

Ah, yes. That wonderful student Vantablackdark, and his great quirk Dark.

I don't really fault them for changing that, since the inventor of Vantablack is supposedly a huge poo poo.
The creator of Vantablack is in fact, a huge loving rear end in a top hat and is utterly despised by the art community. There's a couple other "true black" paints that have been developed in the meanwhile that're superior and with an open formulation I think.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

serious gaylord posted:

Also didnt the creator of pinkest pink make it so you have to specifically say you aren't the guy who made vanta black to be able to buy it?
I forget the exact name but every paint made by that particular person has full on stipulations that it cannot be owned by the creator of Vantablank, nor can it be purchased on his behalf. They also make one of the few different Vantablack competitors- all of which I think are technically better/more black now.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
S4 was fine IMO, S5 won't really get cooking until towards the end of this arc, then the entire rest of the season will be a real show for the anime-only crowd. I guarantee you'll enjoy it if they adapt it properly.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I got the impression originally when this happened in the manga that was simultaneously development and a setback for Momo. Momo's previous problem was choice paralysis- she couldn't think fast enough in the sports festival to win, and froze up fighting Aizawa. She's confident in her PLANS now and executes them, but the flaw that brought her down was thinking she couldn't take Kendo in a 1v1. Momo sacrifices herself to help the team and stall Kendo, but the real PLUS ULTRA thing to do would've been to square up with her and win anyway.

Kendo saying she didn't feel like she really won is kinda lame, but I guess the idea there is just that they had to use simple brute force to win with Kendo dragging Momo and a cannon around and Kinoko just loving choking Tokoyami out. Kinoko choking out Tokoyami is kinda messed up but I think using toxic or magic mushrooms on everyone would probably be magnitudes more dangerous to everyone. Also I think the ones she used on Tokoyami are a fungus that specifically can grow in your throat/lungs, which is something most mushrooms cannot do.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 2, 2021

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Oxxidation posted:

midoriya's ao3 page is like the library of alexandria, all might's got a job of work ahead of him
Midoriya: I am permabanned poster AllMightLiker58

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Todoroki blows up everyone on the opposing team and destroys the entire fake city they're in- to the applause of the rest of 1-B because they're cool with incredible levels of violence in training exercises.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I haven't watched the very latest episode but Pony is also a Japanese (or half-Japanese maybe, can't recall) American- she's not a Japanese native, and Japanese is her second language so she's not great at it. 1-B got all of the foreign students. The dragon scales guy from 1-B is Chinese.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

oh jay posted:

I haven't watched the last season's dub yet but I guess this happened in it.

https://youtu.be/EAl6WtbcVLg
That's a rough pull because the gag is that Pony's Japanese isn't very good and Monoma is telling her offensive stuff to say.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

FilthyImp posted:

I've softened the bonds between hydrogen and oxygen in your blood!
Most of the highly specialized quirks in this series would end up completely insane if typical X-Men power extrapolation happened.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This is one of those "this is why X superpower wouldn't ever work" things, but regardless of if it has bones in it or if it's pure muscle- Ojiro's tail would probably weigh like 80 pounds and require that he have superhuman muscle/bone density to even be able to support it. Like, levels of muscle/bone density that'd let you bench press a small car. It'd break every bone in your body if you got hit with something like that.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also any quirk that relies on fine tuned control or really deep conceptualization to work right would be bad to copy.

Or having a body that can use it. Monoma wouldn't get as much out of Sato's quirk because Sato is a tall dude and built like a brick shithouse, and Monoma isn't.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

oh jay posted:

For me this interpretation relies too much on an abstract interpretation of "stockpiles power" when for 8 generations it was just super-strength that gets superer.
The original quirk which is "One For All" was a useless quirk whose only known feature was being able to be passed on willingly to others- All For One forced a Power Stockpiling quirk on the original holder of One For All, and One For All rolled it up. It actually fits pretty well that One For All is basically just a quirk lint-roller that picks up the quirks of the people who held it as it gets passed on.

The thing that we don't understand right now is why the additional quirks only started to manifest in Izuku, the current holder.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It makes anything he hits at you tough to dodge, since it can suddenly just launch at a completely different trajectory at any time. Before you dodge, while you're dodging, or after you've already dodged it once.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Everyone kinda just accepting the weirdness with Midoriya's quirk is pretty dumb but his quirk has always been kind of a mystery to anyone who wasn't directly in the know anyway- same with All Might actually. Even a FAKE official confirmation of All Might's quirk doesn't exist- Midoriya said it's a source of massive speculation on the internet.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Larryb posted:

Good, going into any details would be manga spoilers so I’ll just say that the next arc is the whole reason I was looking forward to this season (and I’m hoping is what they’ve been saving the animation budget for).
That isn't really how animation budget works- it's more scheduling/staffing than anything which Bones has been rather good at. The question is what key animators are working on the movie that is presumably still in active production and who is available for the TV anime.

In my opinion- this is literally the weakest arc in the manga, and it's not that bad overall. The next arc is really good IMO, and so is every arc after that really.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I feel like Monoma's quirk copies just hard evaporate after his time limit is up. If he copied One For All and passed it on to someone after taking it, that copy he passed on would disappear once the time limit hit. I think that's the most consistent behavior.

Interesting that it copied Eri's horn- so would he turn froggy if he copied Tsuyu's quirk?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

NikkolasKing posted:

Also apparently according to this thread, it's "controversial" Deku got more powers and stuff. At least that's what I read pages ago here. It's supposedly been a big YMMV/Love ir or Hate It plot development ever since this arc in the manga. Whatever, I think it's plenty cool and the Vestiges are the best thing about this arc outside of more Monoma and Shoto/Iida's fight. Well that and Uraraka being both awesome and adorable.
The bonus quirks were controversial at the time because it's one of those developments that can really gently caress up a character and story when handled poorly- it's hard to do well. Thankfully, it has been handled well.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
They really, really seem like they don't wanna get to the fireworks factory.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The one thing that's clear is that Endeavor is much better at teaching than All Might.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The final battles aren't too bad but it has a powerful feel of a work being ended early. We're talking like, a character getting flashbacks to explain stuff that was clearly meant to be an arc, a final badguy for them shows up that we didn't know hardly anything about, then that badguy loses.

I imagine it'll be better when it's animated but it's definitely truncated to a nearly painful degree

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm starting to have little faith in the arc I want to see being adapted well, given how badly bones seems to want to not do it. It should've been over half a cour imo, and they're basically running away from it screaming

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Well, we've seen pretty clearly misunderstood villains in Gentle and LaBrava.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The armor is purely for looks/aerodynamics rather than protection according to his costume's extra page in one of the early volumes.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The stuff with Aizawa is good and fully contextualized by a volume of Vigilantes, which is good and you should read it if you have a Viz sub.

I wish Vigilantes could get an anime too, since it has a different feel to it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
In the manga Curious mentions that kids get quirk counseling and it's more about self-suppression, which hurts people who quite simply cannot fit inside the box.

Curious' idea is that society caused Toga to snap by forcing her to suppress herself and never giving her a safe way to satiate her nature (she just naturally is fascinated by blood, which isn't really terrible in and of itself)- so if they sell that story and kill her, she's a martyr for their cause. Quirk society's forced suppression of quirk usage would've been blamed for driving her insane and killing her.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm still pissed they cut all the stuff with Spinner and the cold open of MVA where they're murdering the MHA version of the KKK. It's kinda important to Spinner's character. It sets up the whole thing where the league is in dire straits because they don't have money or a base so they're just killing a bunch of racist cultists because nobody'll miss them if they get murdered+robbed, and it's a little personal for Spinner.

They just legit hosed it up- it's the first thing I'd say this adaptation has just flat out done really, really badly on. This season is a mess and it was one I was really looking forward to.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 29, 2021

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

FilthyImp posted:

I honestly thought they killed Wish Ninja Turtle because what a waste of a character.

I get it that maybe they don't want to go into heteromorphic racism with Tokoyami, but if they're not doing that with reptile man he's just... there.
it's funny because being a victim of racism is literally one of Spinner's main motivators to join the league. They really should just kill him off if they're not gonna go into it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Tomura literally IS a capital G Gamer.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Tabletops posted:

i realize it's just plot poo poo but im surprised destro didn't just pull his arms off his body
ReDestro's a talker.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
They also cut more stuff with Spinner. lol. Can't characterize the badguys for some reason!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Tabletops posted:

All that backstory just to say what they’ve been saying all along : Shigi is just a evil guy who likes doing evil things and that’s pretty much it
Nah, it basically lines up perfectly with what Shigaraki said way way back when he snagged Izuku at the mall. He was irritated at how much All Might smiled, "As if there was nobody he couldn't save". This gives a lot of context to that- nobody saved Shigaraki when he really needed it, even though there were many chances from beginning to "end" for it to happen.

There's also some missing bits and pieces- in the manga if you pay attention to Shigaraki's room, it starts to fill up with toys and a computer as All For One basically helps him extinguish what's left of his conscience. He was a wreck when those thugs beat him up in that alley yet he still resisted killing them because there was just a bit of Tenko left, and All For One goads him into snuffing the rest of it out. It's actually great how much it underscores what a manipulative piece of poo poo All For One is- he's pretty thinly characterized but overall you get this picture of a guy who needs to be in control at all times and is unbelievably gratified by rubbing salt in the wounds. He does this with All Might too with how he taunts him while also fully expecting and preparing for All Might to pull out the Shonen Battle Manga hero poo poo where they squeeze out every last drop of gas in the tank.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If Bones gets sad about not being able to waste a shitload of time on essentially filler, they are going to have to just do full filler arcs from now on out because basically the brakes come off the train at this point in the story.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The third movie did better than the second which did better than the first. Yonkou (twitter guy who has some inexplicable connection to the industry in Japan and isn't USUALLY wrong) posted a year or so ago that there was a plan for an MHA movie basically every year for the next 5+ years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I really don't see anywhere near the level of vitriol from here anywhere else. The majority of stuff I see outside of here is people kinda dropping the series and wandering back to catch up in bursts, and if people are upset it's because they thought the most popular character was actually gonna die. The last several volumes are the best selling in the series in Japan- but I actually don't really see a lot of open commentary to go with it?