Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Glad to start getting into the season proper. I actually really love this arc so I'm looking forward to seeing it animated and to the reactions.

Here are the team rosters if anyone is interested:

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Episode is out and it feels like the first one to shake off the baggage and get into the action again. The animation is also back up to snuff.

I like this fight because it's the first real taste of what 1-B can do and even though they lose they come out looking strong. Gevaudan especially basically solo's most of the team and only has to retreat because of Kaminari and because he's holding a captive. Vine is also an opponent who they absolutely cannot fight head on and Shinso was their only real way to beat her. 1-A definitely would have lost without him. The other two 1-B characters also come off as competent and their quirks are good but not OP.

Kirishima and Koda are the big losers here as they just got whomped on by Gevaudan and the air guy. Shinso freezes a bit too much after his mindcontrol goes off but he's the one who turns the tables in both encounters. Kaminari also freezes for too long after the mindcontrol but he is otherwise surprisingly competent in the fight. Tsuyu is finally gets to show that she's not a pushover in a 1v1 fight and can be more than just support.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Pre-season 3 All for One at least strongly suspected that Deku possessed One for All and could very easily have found out his address and sent Kurogiri to kidnap him in his sleep with no way to track him.

The real reason this doesn't happen is because it's a story and that would gently caress up the plot progression and having to justify why this doesn't happen would detract from the story more than it helps. Likewise a world where villains are attacking the families of heroes isn't one Horikoshi wanted to write about.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 17, 2021

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

^ I wasn't sure if there was anything to respond to in your posts, but I do want to say I appreciate the thoughts during rewatches.

The new episode is out and is still pretty good. They seem to be making some improvements over the manga's version.

In particular I like that they fleshed out the post-fight 'review' since in the manga only Kirishima actually made sense and got good feedback. For instance Froppy just complained about losing 2 members and there wasn't anything about their teamwork being a mess or responding to mistakes quicker so it kind of made it look like she was arrogantly hoping to get a perfect 4-0 sweep.

The other teams discussions also got some lines added to increase content and the actual fight itself is getting more movement and actual combat added. The Joint Training arc's chapters were infamously short so it's looking like they're trying to add to it where they can which is promising.

The big highlight of course is Tokoyami and Hawks forming a Whole Bird as well as the insane troll logic of Dark Shadow 'floating' when it comes out of Tokoyami and somehow being able to pick him up to fly based on that. I also love how amazingly goofy it looks considering Tokoyami's chuuni nature.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

This thread seems depressingly inactive. Maybe when the season picks up there will be more talk?

I feel like it's kind of hard to talk about this arc compared to something like the sports festival because not much is known about 1-B's quirks so it's hard to predict or speculate. And a lot of people caved and read the manga I think.

Of course, if any anime-onlys want to make some predictions or think about 1-A's team compositions that would be rad. I remember when teams were shown in the manga everyone was certain that either Todoroki or Bakugo were going to lose hard for instance. And that Monoma will copy One for All and immediately explode.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 30, 2021

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Larryb posted:

Which makes me wonder, if Eraserhead used his quirk on Hagakure would she become visible?

No, being invisible is just a natural part of her body like Tokoyami's bird head or Tailman's tail.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The eps out. This fight is pretty controversial so I'm going to avoid saying anything about the result. First of all the flashbacks and reused footage were overdone this episode. 4 minutes until new footage, 1 minute flashback in the middle of the episode and reusing an earlier scene from the episode all really hurt the pacing a lot I think. They're trying to avoid what happened last season when they ended it in the middle of an arc but a quarter of your runtime shouldn't be reused footage.

In general though I like this battle because all of 1-B's members come off looking super strong and cool. They had a pretty packed team. Manga's power is great: Versatile and very strong. And in case it wasn't clear, yes Mushroom Girl could have done that move mush sooner but held back because of how aggro it is. She's got one of the most OP quirks in the series. Don't underestimate the power of mushrooms. Ever.

The extended pacing makes it less impressive but Kendo had the whole battle planned out before it even started and everything happened like she thought it would except for Momo's lucky bag. Also smashing tungsten and dragging Momo + a cannon around Manga's massive Onomatopoeia makes her one of the strongest characters in either class. Before this everyone made fun of Big Hands for being a lovely quirk but little did they know Kendo was secretly Best Girl all along.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Starsnostars posted:

The contrast between the two teams being that mushroom girl was willing to use lethal force to win while Momo created a canon that was designed to support the team rather than attack with everyone watching shocked that at first glance it looked like she had created something so dangerous was strange. Is the take away from the fight that it would have been better to make a weapon that could have blown Kendo and the rest of the 1-B team away? I don't think that is what was intended but I thought that the fight was going to end with 1-B disqualified after the mushroom stunt.

Zeron posted:

Honestly creating shrooms in someone's windpipe sounds way too dangerous to be using on anyone you aren't prepared to kill, let alone for just a class exercise. That felt a bit inappropriate as a way of winning. Momo does deserve a bit of heat for that result because like..flashbangs. She's used them before (in a flashback in this same episode even!) and they're a really easy way to secure victory or escape in situations like that. Not to mention that she was in that exact same situation in the tournament and apparently still hasn't prepared any counter. Her quirk has debatably the most heroic potential out of any shown but she's still really bad at deciding what she should use apparently.

To be fair being able to non-lethally incapacitate your opponents is extremely important to a hero since that's their primary way to end a fight. If Shemage was a villain Tokoyami would be dead. You shouldn't assume an opponent is beaten because you've tied them up if you don't know the extent of their quirk. In contrast Kendo won because she knocked Momo the gently caress out first opportunity.

There are infinite things Momo could do with her quirk. She could have just put spikes on the shields for one. Horikoshi just doesn't want her to excel in combat for whatever reason. Or he couldn't think of a way to do it, he wasn't doing great for this part of the manga.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I wasn't paying attention to see if they put it in the anime but when he's talking the words actually appear on his head too. It's a real speech bubble.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

I'm also annoyed at how "omg ew mushrooms" basically took down 3/4 of the team despite them being an annoyance at best for 99% of the fight.

Yeah I understand why they couldn't animate it fully but for reference this was the mushroom spam in the manga:

It's a bit more crazy. The mushrooms mainly just neutralized Invisiblegirl since it was hard for her to move around and she got completely covered in them. It also gave Vantablack plenty of options to hide and distracted Tokoyami enough that he couldn't really do anything.

Jackard posted:

All for One would never kidnap his own son.

:mmmhmm:

Also the real reason Aoyama/Hagakure were useless in this match is because he/she is the traitor.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 2, 2021

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

So for any anime-onlys thinking about the next fight, the two teams and their quirks are (without spoilers):

Team Todoroki:
Todoroki Shoto - Half hot, half cold
Iida Tenya - Engine
Shoji Something - Dupli-Arms
Ojiro Blandman - Has a tail

Team Tetsutetsu:
Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu - Steel
Honenuki Juzo - Softening
Kaibara Sen - Spiral
Deathhoof Bloodsparkle - Horn Cannon

Who will win? Who will die? Place your bets now!

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Being limited to inorganic matter makes it so that my whole idea of "lol I made your bones rubber" doesn't happen and keeps Class B from being a set of walking Body Horror enemies

So far.

Tetsutetsu hearing that they should keep damage to a minimum and then immediately starting to wreck everything will never not be funny to me. I like that it's ambiguous if he understands that its his teams best strategy too.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I recommend not watching the previews for the next episode for anime-only's.

I really love this fight so I'm glad they decided to do it justice.

Fabricated posted:

Todoroki blows up everyone on the opposing team and destroys the entire fake city they're in- to the applause of the rest of 1-B because they're cool with incredible levels of violence in training exercises.

It's hilarious how close this was to what actually happens. You'd expect the teams to tone it down after last match but no, both teams go crazy hard at each other. Pony literally stabbed Ojiro, lol.

Pony's quirk is great. It seems like a more limited version of Hawk's quirk but it also packs a real punch and she can spam the poo poo out of it unlike Hawks who has a set number of very perishable feathers. Mudman's quirk is super versatile and strong as you'd expect. Iida's power up is loving nuts so I'm glad it got the special treatment here.

Some wordplay the anime didn't explain: Tetsutetsu refers to himself as being "chin-chin' and 'Chintetsu'. Chin-chin can translate to 'really hot' but in Japan it mostly translates to 'dick'. Dicktetsu. Also his special attack is "Tetsutetsu punch" which is identical to Kirishima's Red Gauntlet punch.

Also the anime made it really unclear what Ojiro does after Mudman shows up: He just does a super powerful tailspin while still holding on to Pony's horns.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

You can probably justify that as him not being good at turning at those speeds.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

I guess a lot of why this arc falls flat for me is that the mains are getting chumped, but we've also seem to lose most of the whole "my quick has tradeoffs" at this point.

I feel like this fight was pretty much decided based on the limitations of the fighters quirks though. Iida's fast but couldn't control himself well enough, Honenuki was flexible but lacked stopping power, Todoroki's powerful but inflexible, Ojiro is ordinary, Pony can't control her horns enough yet and Shoji can't fly.

Flesnolk posted:

Yeah, this arc mostly just makes everyone in 1-A but the main trio look really weak. I appreciate 1-B not being chumps and getting cool moments, but it feels like they rob the class we actually spend time with of all the spotlight.

I also wish Monoma had more than one personality trait.

The only one's I've felt have been robbed are Koda, Aoyama, Hagakure and maybe Kirishima. Everyone else got to show off at least a bit.

Monoma's fight is still coming.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I poke fun of Ojiro but the physical force he showed in the episode was legit impressive so there is that. On top of the other limitations mentioned though it was also shown twice in the episode that he really needs some form of protection or armor to stop his tail from getting shredded. Mudman isn't even a melee fighter and even that dude thought about getting some armor which absolutely saved his rear end.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

CuwiKhons posted:

One day I want to see the absolutely wild acrobatics Bakugo could get up to if Uraraka used her quirk on him and just let him fly.

Not really acrobatics but I couldn't resist:

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 17, 2021

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

You can really tell the difference between the quirks Horikoshi created first vs the ones he created with some more experience. 1-B's feel a lot more thought out and unique than some of the more background 1-A guys. I think Sato's quirk in particular might be the worst in the series that's not an obvious joke one.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Next match is tomorrow so here's a quick non-spoiler refresher:

Team 1-A:

Katsuki Bakugo: Explosion
Kyouka Jirou: Earphone Jack
Hanta Sero: Tape
The man of the hour Rikido Sado: Sugar Rush

Team 1-B:

Setsuna Tokage: The only details about her quirk released before this match was the name 'Lizard Tail Cut". Make of that what you will.
Kojiro Bondo: Cemedine (Adhesive)
Togaru Kamakiri: The only details about his quirk released before this match was the name 'Razor Sharp". Make of that what you will.
Yosetsu Awase: Welding

How many near-fatalities will happen this time? Will Bakugo eat poo poo and die? Or will he learn about the true magic of friendship?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

CuwiKhons posted:

Episode is out and Bakugo's team wins in record time, barely half the episode, leading us straight into the main fight. This fight was a short one but I really enjoyed it. Bakugo demonstrates his tremendous character growth in defending his allies and not being too proud to let them have his back too. He's still an abrasive person and he probably always will be, but he really is mellowing out a lot. Sero and Jiro also got to show off a bit and Satou wasn't totally useless, although he didn't do much other than free the trapped Bakugo and then pin Bondo once he was already down.

As for the Class 1-B kids, those poor kids didn't get a chance to show off much. Tokage's quirk is......... interesting. But it doesn't really have any combat applications as far as I can tell, so she's pretty strictly a scouting/spying person. It's interesting that she was the 4th and last first year student to get in on Recommendations when she doesn't seem to compare at all on the surface to people like Todoroki, Yaoyorozu, Honenuki, or even Inasa, who was technically a recommended student but declined to attend.

They actually skipped a few panels for time of Tokage's 'pieces' smacking Bakugo around a bit. They don't do enough damage to hurt him much but they're too small and quick for him to hit so up until he saves Jiro he's kind of getting his rear end kicked without a way to really respond. I'm sure that if she used her whole body against an opponent she'd be stronger too, but she was using half to throw off Jiro here. Her quirk is very bizarre and frankly gross as hell but it does give her unrestricted flight and regeneration which are both really powerful by themselves. It's actually funny because if you think about it in retrospect, she should have breezed through the first two stages of the Sports Festival easily. She can fly over everything in the obstacle course really fast and she could grab the headbands in the team battles with her hands while flying her head way above everyone safe and sound. If only Horikoshi had written her quirk at that point!

This match is most people's favorites of those shown so far and it's not hard to see why. Everyone in 1-A's team gets to show off and Bakugo's development is so awesome. Pretty much everyone was set up to expect him to blow this for his team but no, he's a better character than that. Jiro also gets to show off as the supreme scout in 1-A and Sero gets to show that he's actually real smart by deducing Tokages quirk in such a short amount of time. Even Sato did something! It's a great showing for them.

One gripe I had with the episode though is that when Bakugo gives his speech about winning 4-0 he was supposed to say that it's 'The only kind of victory for the strongest guys out there!' which pumps his team up because he's including them in there as 'the strongest guys.' Also there are two better places they should have ended the episode at imo. Still super glad they sorted the pacing out though, the last two episodes have really been a return to form.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 12:20 on May 22, 2021

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Technowolf posted:

He can hold, like, 3 or 4? at once. So his strength would probably be mixing disparate quirks together.

Xelkelvos posted:

It's currently 4 and he can only use one at a time. They stayed stored for up to 10 minutes before he "loses" them.

The ideal is that he has access to a suite of quirks that can work well together, but don't necessarily need to be used together. Of all things, he might be the best as a teacher in the future assuming he continues to learn how to use various quirks and how to optimally make them work as he'd be able to look at other students' quirks and even show how to use them himself.

Monoma's quirk is fun to think about because he can either be completely useless or a true Superhero. Imagine Monoma with Half Hot Half Cold, Steel and Engine. The perfect mix of offense, defense and speed. Or combining Black and Dark Shadow for the ultimate darkness hero. Or Invisibility, Softening and Mushroom for Pure Bullshit.

Or he could get Sugar Rush (useless without sugar), Naval Laser (needs a custom belt or it goes out of control) and Creation (needs to know the molecular structure to create something) to become the hero Useless Dipshit.

He couldn't use multiple quirks simultaneously, just one at a time last time we saw him though so thats a big drawback.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 09:21 on May 25, 2021

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I'd like to share a stetch that Horikoshi did for the episode:

I have no idea what Awase is saying but I doubt anyone can actually hear him anyway.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I prefer the manga version myself.

This is a big love it or hate it moment in the series. If anyone is feeling apprehensive, as a manga reader I'll just say that I feel that Horikoshi does justify this twist in the future and Black Whip goes on to be one of the coolest quirks in the whole series.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

I do think a lot was riding on Monoma getting to copy Deku's supposed super strength. If he could have kept Deku busy for 3-5 minutes, the others could have captured some of the rest of the team.

Shinso did what he could, but ultimately Deku's group went in prepared for brainwashing, things went nuts when Deku blew up, and then Monoma couldn't copy the quirk.

Just unlucky, really.

Pretty much. On top of that, although their quirks are very synergistic, the members of team 1B all have very technical quirks that can't really help you against close ranged fighters like Deku and Uraraka. They didn't have a 'powerhouse' on their team which is something every other team has had. This also limited Monoma. If he had someone like Apocabeast from the first round he might have stood a good chance at beating Deku but all he could really do was annoy him with Poltergeist and Twin Impact to hope at brainwashing him.

This fight is unfortunately my least favorite of the arc, but it does still have some good moves shown off. One thing I do really like is that it's Uraraka who is the undisputed MVP and the student with the best record of the whole arc. She not only saved Deku but defeated 3 members of the 1B team. Even Bakugo only fully defeated 2. Mina's uppercut is also pretty sick.

Fucker posted:

im curious, apparently this arc is unpopular. i dont read the manga so i dont know what the arguments were back then or what the reasons for disliking it were. was it because people just dont like these kinds of low stakes exercises and want to see more world shattering stuff, for example? or was it because they dont like class b in general? i have no clue, but personally, if this arc didnt have its last 3 episodes be a jobfest, it would have definitely been in my top 3 favorite arcs of the show so far.

Some people just got pissed at the Momo fight and that kind of overwhelms their whole impression (Kendo saying she didn't feel like she won is kind of a bitter meme at this point) or don't like the other fights. Some just don't like the whole structure of the arc because they don't think it has high enough stakes or plot importance and that it takes too long.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 6, 2021

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

So after thinking about it a bit at work, after seeing it all animated and everything I think if I was to rank the fights for this arc I'd do it something like this:

1. Round 3 - It's the round with the strongest showing from all involved. Everyone got to show off just a little while going all out to the very end and the quirk interactions were the best in the arc. Mudman and Pony's quirks are also really cool and Iida, Tetsutetsu + Todoroki all get great moments. I still think Pony could have and should have won it though.
2. Round 2 - I'm a big Kendo and Kinoko fan so I can't help but like this. I also just really like Manga and Kuroiro's power and Tokoyami's ridiculous power-up. I does really bother me how useless 3/4 of 1-A's team is but I focus on the positives dammit!
3. Round 4 - I can't hate on the Bakuhype but I mostly don't even like this fight for him. It's a blast to see his whole team just firing on all cylinders and getting to look really cool and confident while doing it.
4. Round 1 - Nothing wrong with this fight, it's just a little simple compared to the others. Apocabeast is the first taste of 1B's stuff and he really makes an impression. Seeing Froppy kick rear end is a plus.
5. Round 5 - Not really this fights fault that it had the big break in the action, but its still a pacing issue imo. I'm also not a huge fan of how much of this fight is just people thinking compared to the how much of a fight is really there. It's still overall pretty good and Deku's arm exploding is a huge wtf moment in the manga.

I'm also mulling over a top 5 1B list.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I've said it before but this arc really feels like a response to the criticisms made when most of the fights were skipped or barely shown in the previous school sections of the manga. The Battle Trial Arc, Sports Festival Arc and Practical Exam Arcs all have the majority of their fights largely skipped over or abbreviated unless it was a main character. Some of them were just a single panel.

The people who weren't satisfied with this largely enjoyed this arc, the ones who were maybe not as much. Before this arc it was also a fairly common opinion that the series should focus more of the actual Academia portion of MHA and have more sections of the characters having classes. In the end it's impossible to please everyone.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 9, 2021

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

The main conclusion to be drawn from this arc is tail guy, tentacle lad, sugar rush and Dr. Does Little should get crushed by a boulder and replaced with the Cool Kids from class 1B

You forgot Mineta.

My personal evalution for 1-B is that they have a better spread of quirks across the whole class but they don't have anyone on the same level as Deku, Todoroki and Bakugo when it comes to all-around combat power. Mushroom girl is OP as gently caress in the right circumstances (even more than was shown here) but she's also a squishy mage. Also she ironically has the worst stats of anyone in the Ultra Analysis Book. Honenuki's got a very useful and strong power but you can also out-muscle it or just not touch the floor and it lacks a way to cleanly finish an opponent. Etc. They also justgot a bit unlucky with facing Shinso first and Midoriya loving up their plan in round 5.

Their best members in overall effectiveness imo are : Kimori, Kendou, Honenuki, Ibara and Tokage. Kimori is ridiculous, Kendou is a genius, Honenuki is a more defensive Todoroki, Ibara is girl-Tokoyami and Tokage is almost invincible if you can't fly and find her main body.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 12, 2021

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

dogsicle posted:

it does seem like a pretty miserable point in the season. already getting more filler next week, which is just Froppy and the seal guy again (how many times have they done this?), and this week was 50/50 recap and talking heads. the movie is out in a month so it seems odd they'd still need to bleed the show this hard, but maybe we end up disappointed on that front too.

Not to mention this is after taking a week off. I'm trying not to color the impressions of anime onlys but it's hard to pretend this isn't turning into a bit of a shitshow.

Honestly the movie is entirely the reason for this, they restructured everything around it. Even the filler is probably here so that we're still in the same arc the movie takes place in when it comes out. I doubt they care though, it will likely make them more money than the whole season combined. TBH I can't help but hope it bombs.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

dogsicle posted:

i did initially have this idea in my post but i think this is all stuff that's unrelated enough to "oh they are adapting it in the wrong order" that it could be a universal enough feeling. like i'm not really lingering on this reordering stuff and think it is hard to do so in the face of these more apparent issues with just, having filler content and very boringly done episodes with very little new information or plot movement.

Good point, part of the issue with this is that they've essentially pushed together two training arcs with little in the way of plot progression right next to each other while very obviously padding for time. The average viewer can tell when they're just putting flashbacks into a scene to waste time. It's the same problem they've had all season.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

How long does an anime season go for? Like, how much time does S5 have left to turn everything around and avoid being the worst season of MHA by far?

The last 3 MHA seasons have been 25 episodes long. The Endeavor arc will hopefully end on episode 18 next week. Going by the OP there is going to be an episode for Aizawa stuff, which will either be 19 or 25. So the last arc is probably going to be 6 episodes. It's a fast paced arc so they can probably fit it if they get rid of their useless loving time wasting and flashbacks.

Looking at it like that if anything having limited time might be for the best. :smugjones:

Zeron posted:

I'm not sure any order change could have saved this episode. We already know all about how they're working with Endeavor and Endeavor's family troubles, there was literally nothing new. It was cute at least.

Just to make it more clear how bad this episode was, the whole thing covered an entire one chapter of the manga. They created new filler scenes of things we've already seen just to waste time. The week after doing a whole filler episode.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 24, 2021

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

imo that arc is only 22 chapters so expecting 7 or 8 episodes seems like a lot. I expect that they’ll knock it out of the park since it seems really hard to not do it well

Yeah, now that I think about what happens in the arc and trying to plot it out myself 6 or 7 episodes would be what I'd expect a regularly paced version of that arc to be. It's probably that Bones' sluggish pacing has made me overestimate how long you'd need for it to be good.

I'm not so sure that it's a dead cert homerun though. At least with the initial release I imagine they'll have to censor it quite a lot.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Another annoying thing about the episode is that they cut some actually interesting panels like Rei accidentally causing Shoto's scar by trying to cool him with her ice or Bakugou reacting to Deku saying "If you really hate someone, it's fine to just say 'I'll never forgive you.'"

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Luckily for this, Shoto's costume is one of the ones to get a page dedicated to it:

My favorite is probably IIda's, where it's revealed that most of his armor is purely for decoration except for the boots.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Now that I think about it I think we have confirmation of that from the movie where Midoriya visits America with All Might.

I liked the inventor genius girl, I hope she's imported into the manga cannon. :(

She's semi-canon I think. There's spin-off that has a chapter where she has an invention duel with Hatume Mei. They both lose since Mei's are bizarrely impractical and Deku almost immediately breaks Melissa's again.

The current manga arc implies she's canon.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 6, 2021

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

So the lack of enthusiasm and even outright dislike of the last few eps made me check out for a few weeks. Nobody was saying anything good or complimentary, sounded like just a bunch of clip shows. But I glanced at Funi's site and the last couple ep titles intrigued me enough to catch up.

There was an argument elsewhere about if the story "wanted" us to side with Endeavor over Natsuo. My opinion on that has changed a bit with "The Hellish Todoroki Family" ep. I did feel like when we got that first scene with the Todoroki family eating and Natsuo mouthed off to Endeavor that he was being kind of a jerk. I think that's mainly a side-effect of him being pretty much totally unknown at that point and he was attacking an established character we are learning to empathize with. But as the Todoroki clan gets to stick around more and became their own characters, I feel like that initial feeling was mistaken and definitely not intentional on the part of Hori. Natsuo is not in the wrong for what he says and feels and I don't think the story thinks we should think he's in the wrong.

It really is a shame that so much ill-will has been built up over the anime changes, because the ending to the Endeavor arc is one of the most emotionally mature and satisfying parts of the whole series. The dude physically and emotionally abused his wife and son, completely neglected his other son and daughter and it's implied he had a part in his third sons death. These aren't things that should be forgotten and they arent. Endeavor shouldn't be redeemed and he doesn't deserve to be forgiven (at least not yet), but having him working towards atonement and the betterment of his family even at his own detriment is absolutely the right message to send.

As soon as Endeavor started getting focus, the fandom became super scared that he was going to have a crappy, forced redemption arc like is so common in manga/anime while his serious crimes were swept under the rug. As a huge Endeavor-sceptic myself, I think it's a credit to Hori's skill as a writer that he managed to handle it with such grace.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 8, 2021

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Dang, they skipped a scene where the League massacres the MHA version of the KKK. Really trying to keep the censorship up, huh. At least best character Johnny is finally here.

Eagle eye watchers will have seen Re-Destro's L-sign gesture before. Also, Toga bi-queen confirmed.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 21, 2021

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

It looks like we're getting at least a bit of the MLA intro next week, but I doubt it'll be the whole thing.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

I forget but was it Hawkes??

Probably but there's a more alarming occurrence. Kaminari makes an almost identical gesture during the media training section (he does the L-sign but with the wrong arm iirc). It was supposed to be after this arc so it made people speculate like crazy over whether he's the UA traitor or just a dumbass mimicking a cool gesture he saw.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Even though some of this episode was underwhelming and abbreviated, this was still an improvement and I personally find the stuff from this episode interesting enough to talk about.

I really like Toga's backstory because on the one hand she's shown as an unrepentant 'monster' who considers murdering people and drinking their blood as her version of normal, but on the other hand you can still view her as fairly tragic. It's established here that someones quick can drastically affect their personality which is a pretty fascinating concept. Toga's quirk gives her a fascination with blood that probably could have been managed if her parents hadn't treated her with disgust and forced her to suppress herself until she snapped. In that sense, how harshly should she be judged for her actions? She did try to conform, but her innate nature is at odds with society and she couldn't keep up the mask. The idea of villains being people society failed to accommodate is a big one for this arc.

I've seen some complaints about 'rear end-pull powerups' but I don't think it's necessarily true that quirks power up or evolve. As shown with Toga, quirks are highly linked to the wielders mental state so someone's perception of their quirk can affect how it can be used. In both cases from this episode, we can see this. Shigaraki manages to disintegrate a crowd of people because he's so sleep deprived he hallucinates that they're one entity. It's not that his quirk suddenly got stronger, he could probably do this all along and just never understood that his power could work like this until he made that kind of mental jump. Likewise, it was Toga's intense longing to become just like Uraraka that lead to her being able to more fully become her (as well as her genuine terror of imminent death which they removed from the anime*). We've seen something similar to this before with Deku having to create a mental picture to use One for All in non-intuitive ways. Vigilantes also gets into this with the main characters quirk.

* Toga genuinely had no clue she could use Uraraka's quirk btw, she transformed into her purely to comfort herself because she was scared.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Larryb posted:

Ah, so I assume it was that way in the manga as well (it’s been a while since I read this particular arc)

Yeah, it's because they prefer to think of quirks as superpowers because it fits their libertarian worldview.