Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

pointlessone posted:

Recap filler isn't so bad. At least they limit the filter, unlike the year+ of Naruto and Bleach fillers we got back in the day.

They could have just paused everything and padded with the adventures of Shima, underclassman in the Plus Ultra business school classes, with riveting plots about training to handle insurance adjustments in a superhero world.

I'll take the season breaks over that any day.

i agree with the sentiment but i'd absolutely watch a story about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i'm really glad shinso is reentering the story

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

yeah part of the big fear of all might retiring and the heroes having to try to quickly mobilize to maintain the status quo he set is that now that he's gone, the really big villains like overload are going to be starting to come out of the woodwork to do stuff like that

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Monoma is a character I really want to see in action, his quirk seems like it could lend itself well to some really creative uses if he just rapidly swaps what quirk he's copying. It has the obvious downside of "you're never as good at your quirk as the person you copied" so for him to be a real threat he'll need to have some pretty interesting applications of it.

I really like seeing shinso in action, he's a cool character concept and the show did a good job of demonstrating how he's still a real threat even when you know what his quirk does. I'm guessing deku will outsmart and clobber him in their eventually faceoff but honestly I'm rooting for him

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I dunno if "a medium sized farm" is really that high value, society already has farms. Being able to do it more efficiently or whatever is cool but idk what the plan to do more good that route is, just have a farm but all the food is donated towards the needy? Like that's probably more useful than being a cop but she isn't going to single handedly end hunger

Kaminari potentially just being a solar panel farm is basically the same thing. Like society could just build solar panel farms, but they don't, and creating some way for kaminari to feed the power grid personally would probably run into similar issues as real world green energy sources with getting the local power grid to let him jack in

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

I sure hope not. Much like Deku, a lot of what makes All Might enjoyable is that he's absolutely not special - he's just some Quirkless guy that got OFA then was so goddamn focused on saving everyone that he reshaped society itself around himself without even intending to and became the Symbol of Peace.

i mean he did intend to - the whole "symbol of peace" thing was quite literally his idea when he was talking to his mentor/predecessor. iirc the idea is part of why she chose him to be her successor?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'm glad that class b, having entered the same school through the same entrance requirements and received equivalent training and education, are approximately equal to our main cast because there is no reason not be and it'd be stupid if they weren't

This is a weirdly extended arc to make that point with no further underlying drama or plot though. They could've done it in half the time and it'd be fine, or they could've had some kind of stakes or drama and it'd probably also be fine. Instead this is like a filler tournament arc

One thing that's kinda weird about class b though is class a has a decent number of "heavy hitters" like bakugo and hot n cold, while class b doesn't really have anyone on the same level of "blatantly overpowered in direct combat" as the guy who can turn the entire battlefield into a glacier as an opening move. Wish we got to see our focus characters' future direct peers on top of the class as a whole's direct peers

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 17, 2021

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It seems like what they've done is taken the major focus characters so far and spread them out amongst the fights to make each fight have some more viewer investment, but they really should've condensed it down to 2 or 3 fights with the focus characters in it, and had a couple fights with "nobodies" to gloss over or even outright have happen offscreen. This arc is trying to give every character across 2 different classes some focus time and there just isn't enough episode time to do that effectively, some triage needed to happen with this arc and then maybe later have a follow up arc giving the characters who missed out the first time around some extended screentime. They could probably have put tomoyami and iida on the sideline this arc and then have the next vs class b arc focus a lot more on them.

I guess after the fourth season there were a lot of pretty important classmates who have been out of the limelight for a while and this arc is a way of getting reacquainted with them/show a bit of what they've been doing in the meantime. But it really needed to focus down on "ok todoroki and bakugo are going to be big characters in the upcoming arc, let's give them some focus in the minitournament so everyone has a good baseline idea of where they are right now" and figure out who else can just be cut out this time around

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 17, 2021

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I assume spinny hands is also some manner of martial artist

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

isn't there some additional mechanism to his quirk that bakugo utilizes to protect himself form his own explosions? i feel like there was an explanation that was basically "bakugo is effectively immune to his own explosions, but he does have to flex his 'my hand will not be hurt by my explosions' muscle as a constant background distraction." like has to flash a protective layer of anti-explosion sweat on his hands or some poo poo

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

yeah for how powerful bakugo's quirk is in combat, i did really appreciate when they spent some time going into how it's also really hard to use, bakugo just makes it look easy. all of those precise midair acrobatics bakugo does require having a pretty well ingrained sense of physics and also a lot of control over the strength and angle of his explosions, if you gave a bunch of people that same power very few would be able to do half the poo poo he does. hell that he manages to make a safe landing more than 40% of the time is probably pretty remarkable in itself.

honestly if the show wanted to get into it (it definitely doesn't) there's probably some decent parallels between bakugo and lemillion there

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Not Keyser Soze posted:

Bakugo is the type of person who screams at baristas when they write the name slightly wrong on a cup and I will never understand why people expended so much brainpower fawning over an unrepentant bully.

You say this like it somehow disqualifies a character from being enjoyable to see onscreen and I don't understand how this is the case

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

we are in season five how do you go that long without getting an inkling of an idea why someone else would enjoy a character you don't

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i actually like mineta's quirk quite a bit. his character is dumb though

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

if he was just a dweeb who wanted to get laid by being cool he'd be a fine character but he also has to be the fanservice sexual harassment character and that's not a character the show needs

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Has sugarman ever accomplished anything in any combat scenario?

Not only is he a worse version of deku's quirk (he can not get nearly as strong as deku can) he also gets dumber when he gets stronger which is a kind of nasty limitation. Maybe they could introduce some mechanics where different sweets affect his body in different ways or something

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It'd be neat if specific sweets made specific muscles strong or something (like waaaaay stronger), so he's chowing down on an eclair to get bulging leg muscles to do pseudo all might jumps or something

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Suspicious Lump posted:

And out in the wild he'd have his head bashed in before he got a chance to squeeze a ball. You have to step on them to get trapped, maybe he's better as a support hero. I dont know I found him super voring

Sure maybe for beating robbers but when you're up against an offensive super hero of any kind you're screwed. Compare her power to Mr Beast dude in class B who can sniff out location AND identify people by their smell.

Oh really? I didn't know. That makes a lot of sense actually, when you have too many students youd create a second class at university.

We have seen both of those heroes use their powers creatively and effectively in a combat scenario on screen

That's what's fun about their powers, they're useful quirks but the combat applications aren't immediately apparent, so they have to get creative with it. Yes, spiderman's ability to shoot webs and climb on walls doesn't seem as useful as thor's ability to fly and shoot lightning, but spiderman doesn't have to fight the same enemies thor does

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 19, 2021

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

At least electric guy becomes dumb after he uses his powers, so he has a bit more room to work with

Poor sugar guy literally can't do any actions with his quirk that require any amount of intelligence to carry out

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Has sugar guy done anything?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

yeah i figured monoma saying there's quirks he can't copy to be more like, he might not have figured out how the quirk "controls" in the 5 minute timespan that he has the quirk. but it could also just be that some quirks he can't copy, i hope next episode they go all in on exploring monoma's quiirk

also bakugo rules, though i did feel like the episode was a little more masturbatory towards him than it needed to be. even monoma couldn't come up with anything mean to say about bakugo

Rhonne posted:

I mean, AfO has lived for several lifetimes, so he could take the time to master it, but he's just lazy.

i mean his time is probably better spent on learning more quirks that are more immediately powerful. 10 "my muscles are bigger" quirks are probably such an absurd level of strength that they'd totally blow through the 1 jean quirk he managed to slowly learn in that time, so why bother ever learning the jean quirk?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Eej posted:

The most logical ultimate move for him to develop would be Quirk Synthesis where he merges properties of copied quirks together, like if he could mix Todoroki's ice with Bakugo's explosions to basically make plastic explosives.

Monoma copies both bakugo and mina to make acid explosions. Or acid that explodes.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Seems like the basic idea is 1 person = 1 quirk. The basic one for all quirk is "pass on your quirk to another person." If it is passed to a person that already has a quirk (or a quirk is otherwise given to the person that has one for all), it obeys the 1 person 1 quirk rule by combining the quirks into 1 singular quirk. So one for all isn't 2 separate quirks of "strength storage + quirk passing" but a singular quirk that has properties of both. So when other quirks like the black whips are introduced, they're combined with the other quirks instead of being discrete quirks that a person happens to have multiple of. So the strength storage and the black whips combine together to form black whips that use stored strength

So all for one breaks the rule entirely and allows the user to take and give quirks freely, while one for all is also a means of combining quirks. because one for all "follows" the rule it's much more unwieldy (requires consent and time), but ultimately more powerful (synthesizes quirks together rather than have them merely exist alongside each other, so their strength is essentially combined multiplicatively rather than additively like all for one). I guess the idea is it's thematic with a society created through mutual cooperation and consent may be harder to construct than one created through force, but ultimately is a better society to have?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Piell posted:

They could actually take two seconds to think about his quirk and go "yeah that would be insanely good as a hero and he did good in the first match" and just let him in

If they were going to do that there wouldn't be a second match

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

how much harder than the initial hit is the second hit?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I think this arc would've been pretty good if it was 3 fights long instead of 5. 1 fight to show off where shinso's at, 1 fight to show class b is a real threat, and then the climatic fight between deku and shinso. 2 fights happen largely offscreen or are really short but punchy displays, like bakugo's fight was.

If iida/hot n cold had lost to team soft in half an episode (or hell even have them win like they did canonically I don't really care), and the other half of the episode was bakugo's fight, I think the pacing would've been a lot better. My issue with this arc is really more pacing based than conceptual - I like getting to see the other class and all their creative quirks! But that novelty is only good for so long

FilthyImp posted:

Goofy poo poo between math, home economics, and Unarmed Combat 101 was appropriate in the first season but after fending off loving Quirk Hitler and having someone try and infiltrate the school not so much.

Nah

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

as another person that's in on the secret i think deku and all might just like having bakugo around every once in a while as just another person to talk to about the one for all stuff. ostensibly he might even have something useful to say

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

oh jay posted:

Or what if Deku and Bakugo get their driver's licenses instead!

This was the best episode of dragon ball z so I'd be ok with the MHA version of it

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

As an anime only watcher it was kinda weird getting a clip show episode but I liked the stuff between the clip shows

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

oh jay posted:

I have never interpreted a character experiencing a flashback as introspection, but as the animators being lazy or occasionally as the writer thinking we forgot about something.

But maybe that's just me.

It can be all of these things at the same time

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Man this season has been kinda dull

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I like seeing the expanded cast get some limelight but they really should have chosen just a few class b and class a kids to focus on than try to spread themselves between every kid across 2 classes

But I would say the recent clip show episodes are much worse than that

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

man if you took out all the clipshow poo poo and the re-explaining things we already knew and condensed the last 3 episodes down into 1-1.5 episodes, i'd have probably liked that episode quite a bit.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Okay not reading any of this thread, I want to start watching again bit I'm stuck on the school festival stuff. What episode can I safely skip to for getting past the filler?

The festival isn't filler. everything that follows is much more filler.

So the answer is "doesn't exist yet"

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

if that was the case and it was a multiplier instead of raw strength i don't think being under-muscled would make people explode

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Dracula Factory posted:

It could totally veer from this direction obviously, but shigaraki is useless against deku in a 1 on 1 at this point and this is a shonen show, so I'm fully expecting shigs to get all of AFO's powers after he escapes and dies or something like that to raise the stakes. (don't spoil if this happens or not though)

I feel reasonably confident in predicting that the MHA endgame is eri's power somehow being used to restore all for one to full strength (maybe AfO will steal it?), with deku defeating him at his peak strength being the point that marks deku surpassing one for all and being recognized as the greatest hero

Given how much hoopla has been made over AfO being unable to find a quirk that can heal him, and eri's quirk clearly being one that could and something that's being actively developed, there's no way these two plot points don't meet

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 20, 2021

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Oh wait in all for one's fight with one for all he had those weird finger claws and could forcibly activate people's quirks, that's definitely how he's going to get restored by eri

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

...wait couldn't eri restore one for all back to his prime too? it messes with time so it could put him back into a pre-passed-quirk-to-deku state. i guess theoretically they could make a bunch of one for alls as long as they have more people they trust with the power

man eri's going to be the central point of the MHA universe about 3 seconds after lemillion gets restored

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

there's a few too many megapowerful characters held back by debilitating injury that can't be healed by normal means for it to have any possibility of just stopping at lemillion i think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Canonically I believe its because it takes place in Japan and that lethal force isn't seen as reasonable by people who are mainly characterized as firefighters/disaster relief and that you can't atone or be rehabilitated if you're dead. So there's a willingness to accept casualties to capture instead of eliminating villains.

I believe that they are asking why the meta human liberation guys aren't packing heat, not why the heroes don't gun down all the villains

Because yeah shiguraki can maybe dodge 5 dudes shooting at him or maybe even 10, but when there's 100,000 people here that's a lot of casualties prevented if one of 50 people sitting on the roofs of their houses with sniper rifles pops him