Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

Honestly that’d probably be better than the current setup (where they’re down to adapting maybe a chapter or two per episode).

Hell, the show’s current setup is arguably worse than just having literal filler arcs would be in my opinion

They refuse to relinquish that time slot and have zero idea of what to do as an alternative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Yeah, Kendo was ultimately outstrategized but still won through sheer force of their teams Quirks. It's still a victory, but it's not the one she wanted

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Manga is basically an alt version of Scratchman Apoo

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Not Keyser Soze posted:

I don't care about any of these characters they just introduced and I suspect they will never matter again why are we spending multiple episodes on these fights? When do we get to the goddam fireworks factory. Jesus.

I care about some of these dumb idiots like the idiots in 1-A and I hope they'll keep showing up and giving their support.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
More complex commands or firmer control probably since presumably it's not a binary power like Eraserhead's where it's either applied or not applied.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

christmas boots posted:

I wonder is that something he can keep doing or is it just a one-off like losing your baby teeth?

I think it's something they can do multiple times, but it's somewhat pointless without large amounts of growth that'd make the pain and time being out of action worth it

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tabletops posted:

todoroki is obviously going to do THE MOVE and actually kill literally everyone

Todoroki's gonna show what happens when you heat up and then freeze metal and alternate it quickly. Spoiler: It's not great.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Wait she's actually a horse girl? Oh my God I've been reading the manga the entire time how have I never noticed this? :negative:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Mudman's Quirk is really cool and I wanna see more of him. It's very Jojo in the sort of utility potential it has given that while it cannot be directly offensively powerful, it has a bunch of possible lateral applications that can just upend a situation

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

His power does not work on living things. Still it's very good, as he can soften things, then touch them again to make them solid.

I feel like he'd make an interesting combo with Yaoyorozu where she can make stuff and he can modify them into more useful shapes that she wouldn't be physically able to produce.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Ojiro is just a normal dude. Don't be rude.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

Shiozaki (aka vine hair) seems to be their hardest hitter and mushroom girl is OP as poo poo, even if she's not really as impressive at first glance. Manga can also put in some real work in terms of brute force and Honenuki can control a battlefield, but Manga clearly can't fist fight for poo poo so he falls apart as soon as someone closes the distance and Honenuki can't really finish a fight if he can't keep someone trapped because he just lacks raw strength.

There's a few Class B students left that I think have really good quirks but yeah, you're right that nobody in their class stands out as massively dangerous on the level that Bakugo, Todoroki, or even Kaminari and Tokoyami are.

Kaibara, aka Spinny hands, also appears to be talented at martial arts, which makes sense considering his entire quirk is just "I can turn my hands and feet into drills." Close combat is the best place for him to use his quirk. Getting punched hurts but getting punched by a power drill is much worse.

Not just his hands and feet. His quirk is "any part of his body," so if they wanted to be really silly, they could've had him go full helicopter with his torso or something, but who knows.

Looking over the quirks of Class 1-B and spoiling myself on some of them, they very much don't have the raw "explosive" sorts of powers that 1-A has at least compared to Bakugo and Todoroki or Deku and Iida. Much of the class is closer to Kaminari and Tokoyami and the rest of 1-A where they're either still very broadly potent but at a lower tier or or have extremely good utility that just needs the appropriate tools or situation or combo to shine.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Viridiant posted:

This makes me curious what characters people would trade between Class A and Class B if they could, assuming that would get whoever's traded into Class A more attention.

For Class A I think Koda, Sato, and Ojiro are the three most nothing characters, so I'd trade them for Shishida, Kinoko and Kendo.

I like Kuroiro but he kinda fills the same character niche as Tokoyami and there's no way I'd trade out best birb. Similarly while I'd love more Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu his whole thing is that he's a lot like Kirishima so nah. Monoma's entertaining but he really only works as a rival wannabe, so he's gotta stay in Class B.

I'd definitely wanna trade Mineta but I'm not sure who with. Manga's kinda one-note...maybe Shiozaki.

Koda could be more interesting if he wasn't such a gentle giant type of character. If he kept his own zoo of more interesting or potent animals, he'd be a lot more potent, but as it stands, it's basically just birds and bugs because they're easily accessible. Sato is fairly one note. Agreed. Ojiro could be made more interesting if his martial arts style was more dynamic or had more tools to support his ability.

I'd say just about any person in 1-B could be a good trade for Mineta. 1-B even has their own sticky boy too. Edit: Actually two sticky boys, depending on how you define one of them.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 18, 2021

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Should've given him different powers based on different sweets/flavors of sweets or something.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

oh jay posted:

I believe he actually did the thing mangaka often do where he designed to many characters up front and then started assigning them to roles. A version of Mt Lady was almost Ochako.

If Class B's quirks are more over the top, I feel like it's because they don't need to be as "balanced" as Class A's.

One example is comparing Honenuki's Quirk with Oasis from Jojo and how much of a danger each posed and compare with Honenuki's use. It's not even the softening part that'd be the most threatening, but the hardening afterwards since he could effectively bury people in concrete or some other material but the kids gloves are basically kept on for 1-B's quirks since they can reach that particular level of brokenness and are heroes and not villains.

If you want to imagine a particular level of horrifying, imagine Honenuki pouring softened stone or metal into someone and then hardening it back up either when it's not all the way down the victim's throat or just by being too far away (or losing consciousness)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

oh jay posted:

If he ever takes that quirk enhancing drug, he'll straight up evolve his quirk into cannibalism, won't he?

I would think that he could reach All Might levels of power, but his sugar consumption rate would be astronomical and force his body into auto-cannibalism to fuel it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Zeron posted:

Yeah Bakugo was really cool in this episode, just a straight showing that yeah he's already a better hero than Endeavor in a lot of ways (but still an rear end in a top hat).

It seems a bit suspicious that Monoma said that copying Izuku's quirk might end up being a Blank. What possible reason could he have to believe he wouldn't be able to copy his quirk without knowing about One for All? Like if he'd said it wasn't worth trying because obviously he'd just blow his arms off that'd be one thing but the way he said it seems to indicate he has a suspicious level of knowledge. I'd guess that he can't copy mutant type quirks but Izuku's quirk doesn't look anything like that from the outside.

It may be that there's always a chance of something like that for him since the internal workings of a person may also factor in which may prevent him from emulating it and it's something he can't tell from the outside.

If Bakugo didn't have his explosive pineapple hairstyle, he'd have a pompadour and be dressed up like Yusuke Urameshi or Kuwabara.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Technowolf posted:

He can hold, like, 3 or 4? at once. So his strength would probably be mixing disparate quirks together.

It's currently 4 and he can only use one at a time. They stayed stored for up to 10 minutes before he "loses" them.

The ideal is that he has access to a suite of quirks that can work well together, but don't necessarily need to be used together. Of all things, he might be the best as a teacher in the future assuming he continues to learn how to use various quirks and how to optimally make them work as he'd be able to look at other students' quirks and even show how to use them himself.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rohan Kishibe posted:

It's hard to know if the one at a time thing is a hard quirk limit or one of those soft limits you can bypass with practice though.

Same with the holding duration and the quantity.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

how much harder than the initial hit is the second hit?

It's not made specific, just that it is much more.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

I don't think anyone realized that One for All was an accumulation type quirk until Monoma tried to copy it. As far as everyone else can tell, Full Cowling just increases Deku's speed and strength like an emitter

I think the part of OFA being a storage quirk and its mechanics are probably why it was a "Blank" for Monoma and he presumably expected that as a possibility. What we never got to see is his full plan against Deku since Deku's quirk going wild basically threw everyone's plans out of whack and turned a relatively one sided hunt against 1-A into a brawl. Monoma also clearly tried to activate it, but with the way OFA works, it was probably like it was being activated for the first time all the way back in the first Generation of it and not when Deku first uses it or how everyone else expected it to work.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

This *does* raise the question of if he could use the whips or other successors' quirks without OFA's power boost if he just knew they were in there.

The other quirks are part of the stockpiling. It's not just power that's stockpiled, but quirks too

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

I feel like he made a comment to the effect of "why would I want to copy a self-destructive quirk like that" during the initial sports festival. It's a bit of an oddity to suddenly go "well, now that he has it under control, I can too".

Makes me think he was mostly faking them out.

Part of Monoma's deal is bluffing about what quirks he has loaded so it's fully possible

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Tail guy and Octoman are cool and do their best and I want to see them both win a fight before the manga ends.

Octoman has a great concept and design and is like a less broken Nico Robin. Also the potential to become a nightmareish cthonian horror.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

It has, but Deku seems like the pivot point looking at the history. The average IQ of jump protagonists skyrocketed post MHA, and that wasn't a coincidence.

I feel like that's more just a protagonist trend that finally took hold in a Jump series. Jojo Protagonists from 4-ish on seem to be 11th dimensional chess players and even Gon has hints of it in Hunter X Hunter despite also being part Son Goku.

Body-wise, Deku is still just riding the wave of less muscular, lankier protagonists that characters like Luffy pushed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

I still sometimes wonder what could have been if Deku had been basically Batman as originally envisioned; where he stayed Quirkless but instead used gadgets and Quirk-knowledge to subdue villains.

I would read that series. A number of his story beats wouldn't change either.